Eljero Elia - Confirmed 6 Month Loan

Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

I know its low risk compared to osvaldo but why take on someone who has a proven record of being a trouble maker wherever they've been have we learnt nothing? Hopefully he settles in but my guess is he will either play really well and use us as a stepping stone or be trouble from the start, looks a great player though fromm the videos and i wish him good luck

He's done some interviews, they've just gone live, Solent one is here:

@solentsport: In his first radio interview since signing for #saintsfc, @ELJERO11ELIA tells @bigadamsport about ... https://t.co/biTYMdU7be via @audioBoom

Sounds hugely determined to be a success here and prove his doubters wrong. I think he'll be an excellent sighing for us.

He's done some interviews, they've just gone live, Solent one is here:

@solentsport: In his first radio interview since signing for #saintsfc, @ELJERO11ELIA tells @bigadamsport about ... https://t.co/biTYMdU7be via @audioBoom

Sounds hugely determined to be a success here and prove his doubters wrong. I think he'll be an excellent sighing for us.

I think that all points to him starting on Sunday. Quite big interviews with Sky and BBC.

He says all the right things, seems genuinely keen, but the test is if he still so keen sat on the bench at home against Swansea for example.

He does come across as a lot more contrite than Balotelli, who the papers immediately labelled him as the Dutch version of. He seems to realise that this is a chance, maybe one of his last, unlike Balotelli who seems to be on his own little planet. Hopefully that will last and he will grab it with both hands. Comes across as having the right amount of arrogance (which I think all the best/good players need) and humility.

Edited by angelman

I get the feeling he'll a bit of a headless chicken but as a team we need pace to open things up so be interesting to see if he plays on Sun as straight replacement for Mane

Think he will personally. We need an outlet/foil for Pelle, and his pace will cause their awful defence problems. Only decision is whether he lets Long run them ragged for the first hour and then bring Elia on fresh against their tiring defence.

The problem with them is when you have players of the quality of ADM, Falcao, Rooney, RVP etc they can be carp for 89 minutes but open you up in a flash and finish - Fonte needs to have his head on right for this one. Bit like the City game players have to believe they can go there and win / do a job and level will have to be lot better than the Ipswich game

Guys, I'd really recommend you to stay calm. I can't even recall how many times he stated that he will definitely have a fresh start "now" while playing for Werder. Followed by (sometimes) one or two mediocre matches with two nice dribblings before returning to how we knew him. If you take his succesful dribblings and put them into one YouTube video, it surely seems amazing. But his style is more show than effective. However, he seems kind of impressed by his new team and surrounding.

"I have played for big clubs, but I am impressed by this. There's somebody for everything. There's someone who makes breakfast for you every morning. I will do everything to stay here. Everything they want. This is my chance."

You know, this is totally him. A child in a grown-up body who loves to be treated like the king of the world. Hence, this once again is "his chance". But I don't want to be that pessimistic, as he IS capable of proving me wrong. And I wish him all the best as Werder needs some millions...

Guys, I'd really recommend you to stay calm. I can't even recall how many times he stated that he will definitely have a fresh start "now" while playing for Werder. Followed by (sometimes) one or two mediocre matches with two nice dribblings before returning to how we knew him. If you take his succesful dribblings and put them into one YouTube video, it surely seems amazing. But his style is more show than effective. However, he seems kind of impressed by his new team and surrounding.

"I have played for big clubs, but I am impressed by this. There's somebody for everything. There's someone who makes breakfast for you every morning. I will do everything to stay here. Everything they want. This is my chance."

You know, this is totally him. A child in a grown-up body who loves to be treated like the king of the world. Hence, this once again is "his chance". But I don't want to be that pessimistic, as he IS capable of proving me wrong. And I wish him all the best as Werder needs some millions...

He seems troubled off the field as you say, but as a six month loan, this is a fairly low risk deal for Saints. This could be our most successful season for years, if we even get a short term run of form from Elia, that could be the difference between 7th/8th or 4th-6th. If he acts up as he seems to have before, we ship him back in the summer.

Showed flashes but was understandably rusty. Given how little of the ball we had (and nothing stuck up top when we did see it) and the explicit instruction to play some way off Pelle (to exploit the space between Jones and Valencia), he was always going to find it difficult to impose himself on the game. Should start against Ipswich.

Edited by shurlock

I thought he looked really good yesterday. Given that he hasn't played for a while, being given your PL debut as an away player at Old Trafford in the starting line up isn't gonna be easy but he seemed very similar to Mane with a bit more physical presence to him. He certainly looked more of a natural winger than Mane (who as we've established in recent weeks' best position is a floating attacking midfielder, just off Pelle). Got a couple of good crosses in and always looked likely to create things when he got on the ball however he didn't quite get on the ball enough for my liking but hopefully that was just him establishing himself in the team and hopefully he'll be a bit more settled in the weeks and months to come.

Not a bad debut at all though.

Touch was a bit off at times, but that's due to lack of games. But the technical ability is there, seemed to be eager to prove himself (maybe a little too much, at times) and was defending as well as attacking when he had the chance. Liked the fact he worked hard, will fit in with the rest of the bunch. No room for any lazy mavericks!