Schneiderlin Joins Manchester United (Official)

Bewildered

Wouldn't someone with 0 goals be worse?

Two players for less than £25 million and 5 goals a season between them would be far better. I think the manager probably agrees with me, particularly as he will try and win the Europa League this year, to get in the Champions League. We need numbers, not suspended players...

Thanks to Morgan for being with us on the journey from L1 to Europe, shame you couldn't stay with us to make that final trip to the continent for a competitive match. I don't normally asy good luck to any player joining Man Utd but I do hope Morgan is successful there ... and really pleased he's not joined Liverpool or Spurs.

Was just a tongue-in-check riposte to your "total inability to hit the target when shooting." observation sir. Maybe I took you too literally.... ;)

In all seriousness, I concur that he wasn't a prolific goalscorer.

Morgan passed that ball into the net, which I always hoped he would do when he had a goal scoring opportunity. When he needed to get his laces through it, he would lay the ball off or blaze the shot wide. Unsurprisingly, they didn't make YouTube, but are still seared in my mind. I would rather have £25M to spend, than a want away show pony, with a kick like a donkey, when presented with the goal to shoot at....

Morgan passed that ball into the net, which I always hoped he would do when he had a goal scoring opportunity. When he needed to get his laces through it, he would lay the ball off or blaze the shot wide. Unsurprisingly, they didn't make YouTube, but are still seared in my mind. I would rather have £25M to spend, than a want away show pony, with a kick like a donkey, when presented with the goal to shoot at....

Fair enough. Different opinions are good.

Executive Director of Football Les Reed commented: “Morgan leaves with our sincere appreciation for his service across the past seven years.

“He has been a pivotal figure in our journey from a club in administration and playing in the third tier to one established in the Premier League and set for its first taste of European football in more than a decade.

“Likewise, Southampton has helped Morgan develop from a young and inexperienced midfielder into a fully-fledged international with hundreds of club appearances under his belt, despite his relatively tender years.

“Even in the face of mounting transfer speculation across the past 18 months, he has conducted himself superbly and now moves on with our gratitude.

“Morgan’s departure is one that the club has had to be fully prepared for, and we are well under way with our plans to strengthen our midfield *– both with players emerging from our academy and from outside the club.”

Les Reed:

"Morgan leaves with our sincere appreciation for his service across the past seven years.

"He has been a pivotal figure in our journey from a club in administration and playing in the third tier to one established in the Premier League and set for its first taste of European football in more than a decade.

"Likewise, Southampton has helped Morgan develop from a young and inexperienced midfielder into a fully-fledged international with hundreds of club appearances under his belt, despite his relatively tender years.

"Even in the face of mounting transfer speculation across the past 18 months, he has conducted himself superbly and now moves on with our gratitude.

"Morgan’s departure is one that the club has had to be fully prepared for, and we are well under way with our plans to strengthen our midfield *– both with players emerging from our academy and from outside the club."

So the thread title can be amended now. Sad day, our best player over the last few years by far, but he's played an important part in what we have achieved, and we have played an important part in what he has achieved. I fully expect him to go on and be a great player, shame its for Manure, but at least its not with the Bindippers or the North London yobbos, but a proper top 4 team. Good luck Morgan. Now lets see the 25+m spent wisely on replacements (plural because he cannot be replaced in the singular). Sounds like Les possibly expects Clasie and Reed to take up the cudgels, at least in part.

But the point is there was loads of speculation on how we could replace Lovren, Shaw etc and we did.

It'd be interesting to see stats from last season on which players had the best points per game ratio versus when they were absent? I'm going to go with a complete guess of Mane.

I'd be almost certain on it being Forster, without actually having the stats to back it up. After his injury we pretty much went from top 4 form to midtable form.

Almost definitely, very funny! :lol:

I think the sense of humour of our club is superb at times, I bet even Morgan will have a chuckle at that. I bet he looks back and realises the club did him a massive favour. Spurs or Man U? Hmmm.

Man U are building a nice looking team.

Edited by Saint_Ash

Really? Did anyone serious actually say this. Rickie was already on his way out in January (was going to Wet Sham), he was never going to be the biggest loss last summer, in fact I would say he was the least of our losses, apart from being a talisman. If you think Morgan is easily replaceable then you are a little deluded (in my opinion). You don't easily replace players that will probably prove to be world class.

Who said he was easily replaceable? I'm just saying we have played well without him on some occasions when he hasn't been available and that's without having his replacement in the squad.

Most people thought Lambert would be difficult to replace as he was key to out attacking play (second only to Messi in terms of goals plus assists or some stat like that) but we did.

Most of us thought Bertrand would be nowhere near Shaw's level and yet RB has had a far more consistent season.

Most of us thought Lovren was our best CB since Killer, possibly better. Then we got Toby.

Lallana vacuumed up pretty much every award going at the end of season awards a year ago but Tadic and Mane have pretty much covered his loss.

Everyone is replaceable. I'm not sure what you mean by like for like. The incoming players may have different attributes and may not be quite as good individually but we can replace Morgan, just like we did with the others.

Shooting was certainly not Morgan's strongest point, but I would suggest that he has many other facets that are more important when selecting a holding midfielder. That is why Van Gaal and United have chosen to part with £25m for him, nothing to do with his shooting ability - they have a fair number of other players who should be scoring the goals. Don't agree with your point about wild tackles either - yes, he picked up a few suspensions, but you will find very few players who play in his position in the modern game who don't pick up yellow cards, as you only need to breathe on a player to get one now.

But you carry on slagging off one of our best midfielders in recent decades if it makes you feel better - it's SWF tradition when a good player leaves after all :)

I do wish him all the best, why wouldn't you? How our ex-players perform for their new clubs is a reflection on saints (and maybe even affects valuations of existing players), especially when they've come through the academy, so I'll be really pleased for him if he does well there. Likewise I'd like to see Lallana and Shaw have good seasons after all the sh1t they got last year.

Obviously doesn't mean I want to see their clubs do well.

Lovren is a different matter entirely.

Got a little bit emotional at the Morgan video. Gutted and proud about his move (weird, I know). I think with the additions United have made they will win the league this year.

Morgan is by far the best player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt and hope he continues to perform as well for them as he did for us (obviously, except when playing us!)

But you carry on slagging off one of our best midfielders in recent decades if it makes you feel better - it's SWF tradition when a good player leaves after all :)

Slagging off???? Do me a favour:

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but I remember Morgan was on my table at a Players Presentation, before he made the first team. I thought, like Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, what a nice young guy he was. A class act in his politeness and modesty and I wish him well for the future. BUT....am I the only one that thinks he had one big talent and two major faults. His talent was reading a game like no one else I've seen and he demonstrated that by hitting the sweetest passes you could ever imagine. The two flaws were the regular wild tackles but by far the biggest was his total inability to hit the target when shooting.

Best of luck to him. Can't begrudge anyone a move to Man United really. Underperformed recently but a huge club and chance of champions league and serious assault on the premiership title

Hope he does well there

Agree

In what way, has he scored a million goals less?

True, a million times worse was an exaggeration.

However, as an attacking midfielder, playing in a number 10 position with creative responsibility, he scored less goals than Morgan (who played in a defensive midfield position) despite being presented with far, far more shooting opportunities than him including several memorable ****-ups against the likes of West Ham and Liverpool as well as three woeful attempts against Tottenham when most competent attacking players in the Premiership would have effortlessly plundered a hat-trick.

To say he's a million times worse than Morgan was ridiculous though. I stand corrected.

He had developed into a very, very good player and is a player who can play at the highest level. It is a good move for him and we have had 7 terrific years from him. I think the club can feel very proud they have developed (IMHO) a genuine world class talent who is coming into the prime of his playing career - just a shame it's not with us. All the best mush, except against us.

True, a million times worse was an exaggeration.

However, as an attacking midfielder, playing in a number 10 position with creative responsibility, he scored less goals than Morgan (who played in a defensive midfield position) despite being presented with far, far more shooting opportunities than him including several memorable ****-ups against the likes of West Ham and Liverpool as well as three woeful attempts against Tottenham when most competent attacking players in the Premiership would have effortlessly plundered a hat-trick.

To say he's a million times worse than Morgan was ridiculous though. I stand corrected.

No, not corrected. You're right, there is quite a difference between the two players, but Davis can do a good job. It's just a pity that his goalscoring suffered last season because with a few more goals from him when he was in those positions would have made a big difference to our final position.

End of an era so its quite sad to see him go. I wish him all the best and hope he succeeds (even if I want UTD to fail).

Always gave his all for the club and will be very hard to replace. £25m is a nice fee and alongside the £12m for Clyne should enable us to get in some decent recruits.

Good luck Morgan and thank you!

I'm guessing you watch your football on YouTube, not at St. Mary's. Morgan is the worst shooter I have ever seen in a Saints shirt, which his 15 goals in 7 seasons with Saints confirms.

I guess you don't watch football at all then, if you seriously think that. 5 goals last season as a DM (and 5 two years prior to that as well) pays testimony to the fact that actually he can shoot, and is one of the better midfields at that particular skill. Admittedly he wasn't too good at it in his early days, but if you are seriously trying to say that was one of his flaws then you should think again. Try watching the video on Twitter now, I know it only shows the good things but hey ho, it also demonstrates that he was actually very good at hitting the target when all around him were woeful. I look forward to the day when Ward-Prowse scores 5 in a season from open play, or Steven Davis or Dusan Tadic for that matter.

Couldn't give a monkeys about Morgan leaving tbh, emotionally detached myself from him after his toys were thrown out of the pram last summer.

I'm just happy that this is sorted now and we can go out and sign jordie clasie who has the potential to be a better player in my opinion

Couldn't give a monkeys about Morgan leaving tbh, emotionally detached myself from him after his toys were thrown out of the pram last summer.

I'm just happy that this is sorted now and we can go out and sign jordie clasie who has the potential to be a better player in my opinion

That's the spirit!

#wemoveonwithatearinoureye.

I guess you don't watch football at all then, if you seriously think that. 5 goals last season as a DM (and 5 two years prior to that as well) pays testimony to the fact that actually he can shoot, and is one of the better midfields at that particular skill. Admittedly he wasn't too good at it in his early days, but if you are seriously trying to say that was one of his flaws then you should think again. Try watching the video on Twitter now, I know it only shows the good things but hey ho, it also demonstrates that he was actually very good at hitting the target when all around him were woeful. I look forward to the day when Ward-Prowse scores 5 in a season from open play, or Steven Davis or Dusan Tadic for that matter.

Morgan scored 15 goals in 7 seasons. Over the last two seasons I watched every minute of his home performances and 5 away games. He was a very gifted midfielder who was pretty cr @p at shooting. If you think otherwise, then you must have been watching another player. Ward-Prowse is about as bad as hitting the target, but my standard is Ronald Koeman. 239 goals in 685 appearances as a defender/sweeper. £25 million? Grab the money for Morgan and run...