Schneiderlin Joins Manchester United (Official)

Bewildered

Surprised at how positive a response people on here are giving him - especially considering the paddy he threw last season which has ultimately led to this (and reduced his value too imo). Personally, I am gutted he is going and particularly wish he wasn't going to Manure. Last season they were dire and extremely lucky to finish where they did - in my opinion we could and should have finished above them and I think only a huge dollop of luck and some poor refereeing led to them finishing above us. Of the top four clubs they were the team that we had most chance of finishing above, but I fear that having got so close this season, we will not now get another chance like it for a very long time.

Also in relation to the response to Morgan leaving, I don't quite understand how people can have been so hateful to Lallana, yet so positive to Morgan. Both have contributed massively to our rise and both went about getting a move last summer in the wrong way. The fact that Morgan didn't manage to get that move doesn't change that.

Similarly, a lot of hate has been aimed at Shaw, Chambers, Lovren, Clyne and Toby for leaving, yet all of them except Toby and Clyne have gone to clubs who were in the Champions League at the time they moved to them (Liverpool may not have lasted long in the competition, but let's not forget that they actually finished second in 2014 and competed in that competition last season).

Personally, I am very grateful for all that these players have done for us, hope that they can get established in the first teams of their respective clubs (and ultimately get a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona with a large sell-on fe coming to Saints as a result!), but beyond that my only wish for every single one of them is that they and their clubs will finish behind Saints in the EPL table!

Surprised at how positive a response people on here are giving him - especially considering the paddy he threw last season which has ultimately led to this (and reduced his value too imo). Personally, I am gutted he is going and particularly wish he wasn't going to Manure. Last season they were dire and extremely lucky to finish where they did - in my opinion we could and should have finished above them and I think only a huge dollop of luck and some poor refereeing led to them finishing above us. Of the top four clubs they were the team that we had most chance of finishing above, but I fear that having got so close this season, we will not now get another chance like it for a very long time.

Also in relation to the response to Morgan leaving, I don't quite understand how people can have been so hateful to Lallana, yet so positive to Morgan. Both have contributed massively to our rise and both went about getting a move last summer in the wrong way. The fact that Morgan didn't manage to get that move doesn't change that.

Similarly, a lot of hate has been aimed at Shaw, Chambers, Lovren, Clyne and Toby for leaving, yet all of them except Toby and Clyne have gone to clubs who were in the Champions League at the time they moved to them (Liverpool may not have lasted long in the competition, but let's not forget that they actually finished second in 2014 and competed in that competition last season).

Personally, I am very grateful for all that these players have done for us, hope that they can get established in the first teams of their respective clubs (and ultimately get a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona with a large sell-on fe coming to Saints as a result!), but beyond that my only wish for every single one of them is that they and their clubs will finish behind Saints in the EPL table!

Seriously? Lallana was captain, he kissed the badge countless times, signed a new contract and said he wants to be here for life then clearly acts out of order to get his move to Liverpool and in his interview with Liverpool says that when he played them he wished he could play for them. If Gerrard went to Chelsea when they wanted him would Liverpool fans love him and give him a good reception? Of course not. Where as they might give Suarez one as he is a fantastic player who was to good for Liverpool and didnt have any ties to like the club just like Morgan doesn't to us.

People will say Lallana went to a bigger club blah blah blah, but to Liverpool he's just another player most of their fans don't want him in the starting line up next season as its all about the new big name signing Firmino, here Lallana would of been an absolute legend and he threw that away for the money. I really struggle to be grateful to any footballers these days after they leave footballs changed there's no loyalty anymore I doubt we will ever see a player like pahars genuinely start crying as he says good bye to the club again. Lovren, Chambers, Lallana and Clyne all smelt the money and couldn't get out of here fast enough to me those 4 are the worst along with Toby (who basically just screwed us over). Shaw is different as the price was insane and I think the club were happy to let him go. Lambert obviously didn't care much about his career and just wanted to play at his boyhood club fair enough. And Morgan is the best player out the whole list by far and I think he will actually start at Man Utd a lot so for him it actually is about progressing his career also his tweet last year was about us saying he could move but then selling everyone else and deciding actually we aren't gunna sell you as we've sold too many players.

Not fussed that he threw a tanty last summer one bit. He came back after that and did his job as a professional did. Sure he probably was angling for this move the entire time, but he wasn't doing it publicly. Didn't disrepect the club at all as far as I can recall.

He's shown up for pre-season - even if he was never going to play in it - and quietly sat back while the club did business. No problems with that at all.

I don't think his value was affected either, going by the fee being quoted elsewhere.

Morgan is class and will start most games for United. I do not understand why so many people seem to think otherwise. I'm grateful for his efforts over the journey. I'm also grateful that he appears to have provided the club with a profit of about 25 million pounds.

Lallana is a ****.

If Morgan does go I hope we all wish him well. He has been a terrific servant to the club and really knuckled down last season. 25 million for a player who cost us less than 1 million is good business.

.........and after almost 250 games ..he's probably more than halfway through his career.

He certainly can't be called "injury-prone " but he has had some medical issues in the past......so it's good deal allround.

if the deal goes through.....Fonte and KD are the only first team players left from the L1 days........

I remember during the championship relegation season when he was a lightweight kid who couldn't tackle and couldn't shoot (still can't tbf) telling my dad that he was wasted in that league and he'd be a better player in the prem. He thought I'd lost the plot

Not fussed that he threw a tanty last summer one bit. He came back after that and did his job as a professional did. Sure he probably was angling for this move the entire time, but he wasn't doing it publicly. Didn't disrepect the club at all as far as I can recall.

He's shown up for pre-season - even if he was never going to play in it - and quietly sat back while the club did business. No problems with that at all.

I don't think his value was affected either, going by the fee being quoted elsewhere.

Morgan is class and will start most games for United. I do not understand why so many people seem to think otherwise. I'm grateful for his efforts over the journey. I'm also grateful that he appears to have provided the club with a profit of about 25 million pounds.

Lallana is a ****.

Didn't angle for a move in public?

Err, he told anyone who put a microphone in front of him he wanted out

Brilliant player. Will be a massive miss for us

Or a page in the echo!

It will be interesting to see what write up he gets on the official site. I am sure more than the less than effusive ones when Lallana, Lovren and Clyne left for instance.

For me I wish Schneiderlin the very best. He has acted totally professionally since his understandable outburst last season. He is a player that fully that deserves the success he is getting.

Others have been less honest and professional in their haste to get the next big pay day away from us and it is characters like these that turn me off as a fan.

Didn't angle for a move in public?

Err, he told anyone who put a microphone in front of him he wanted out

Brilliant player. Will be a massive miss for us

Yeah, I don't think a player has ever prattled on more in public about his desire to leave. Overall he's managed his departure alright, no need to go overboard in that regard though.

Great player, will be a loss for us. Joining a squad of Galacticos at Man Utd that'll ultimately be aiming to win the CL, so he'll get the opportunity to match his ambitions.

Anyone know what the fee is? Hope we haven't bowed down to pressure and have got at least £25 million. I guess half will go towards Clasie, then we still need another 2-3 imo. Looks like another low net spend, it's a great business model to have. We could well have a better squad than last season

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Man Utd fans taking the **** out of City, quite funny really.

Schweinsteiger 14.4m, Morgan Schneiderlin £24m, Damian £13m. Total - 51m

Rahem Sterling = £49m

So they should, MU have got the best of that deal

£49m for a player who scored 18 goals in three years. Who comes with an attitude and a t wat of an agent thrown in for free.

Don't wish him the best at all, hopefully he struggles to get in Uniteds team (tough competition) which will see him suffer a drop in confidence and form , chatting to chubby Shaw on the bench they can compare their bank balances. His outburst last year was very unprofessional and showed a massive lack of respect for the club.

At least getting the deal done now we can move on and hopefully invest the money wisely.

Anyone know what the fee is? Hope we haven't bowed down to pressure and have got at least £25 million. I guess half will go towards Clasie, then we still need another 2-3 imo. Looks like another low net spend, it's a great business model to have. We could well have a better squad than last season

Seems to be £24m guaranteed, with it rising to £27/28m on several clauses.

Is it a great business model? How many more Schneiderlins or players do we have who we can multiples on? JWP, perhaps? We have some very good players like Wanyama, Mané and Jrod; but we paid decent sums for them and so are unlikely to generate the kind of return that will allow us to replace and strengthen. In this sense, the cupboard is running increasingly bare.

As an aside, how nice it must be for Van Gaal to ask for all his signings to be done before the US tour and then the Club backs him and gets it done!

Learning from Chelsea last year, but definitely an impressive summer from Utd. Be interesting to see who they bring in to replace RVP.

Also, things must have moved fast because on Friday Less Reed told Blackmore there was basically no chance of Morgan joining in time for their tour - hopefully they just stumped up all the cash we asked for.

We will miss him, no doubt.

Top, top quality midfield player. IMHO one of the best defensive ones in the PL.

I know a number of Citeh fans who wished he had signed for them.

Have to say, as it sits right now, with the loss of Morgan & Toby we are a weaker team than last year. Have every confidence we will sign some very able replacements, but have to admit a few nerves......................

As an aside, how nice it must be for Van Gaal to ask for all his signings to be done before the US tour and then the Club backs him and gets it done!

Learning from Chelsea last year, but definitely an impressive summer from Utd. Be interesting to see who they bring in to replace RVP.

Also, things must have moved fast because on Friday Less Reed told Blackmore there was basically no chance of Morgan joining in time for their tour - hopefully they just stumped up all the cash we asked for.

If they didn't meet out valuation, then they came pretty close. Think this deal was much closer to being done than Reed's public statements suggest. His statements were for positioning, nothing more. United had sent representatives down earlier in the week and Koeman never went out of his way to say that Morgan would be featuring in the preseason openers, however 'ill' he allegedly was.

We will miss him, no doubt.

Top, top quality midfield player. IMHO one of the best defensive ones in the PL.

I know a number of Citeh fans who wished he had signed for them.

Have to say, as it sits right now, with the loss of Morgan & Toby we are a weaker team than last year. Have every confidence we will sign some very able replacements, but have to admit a few nerves......................

We are obviously weaker right now, but shouldn't lose anyone else that we want to keep and hopefully can start spending some of the cash.

IMO we don't need that much:

2 x CM (One is Clasie)

1 x quality CB

Personally would have got another GK and loaned out Gazza but seems we won't.

Is it a great business model? How many more Schneiderlins or players do we have who we can multiples on? JWP, perhaps? We have some very good players like Wanyama, Mané and Jrod; but we paid decent sums for them and so are unlikely to generate the kind of return that will allow us to replace and strengthen. In this sense, the cupboard is running increasingly bare.

Agreed, although a firing JROD is going to be with a hell of a lot more than the £7m we paid for him.

Losing out on Toby and allowing Morgan to leave is going to create a huge hole in the spine of our side. I think fans underestimate how hard it will be to replace Morgan.

This is true. Van Dijk, Clasie and one other signing will be crucial. Could be a long season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is for a showcase club like us[emoji6] . Not so good if we want to break through the glass ceiling though.

Losing out on Toby and allowing Morgan to leave is going to create a huge hole in the spine of our side. I think fans underestimate how hard it will be to replace Morgan.

Agreed. I've seen Clasie on TV and wasn't that impressed - more another Davis IMO. Reed may develop into the role, but wishing at the monent that we still had Cork.

Agree too about CB. Hope we're not thinking that Fonte, Gardos and Yoshida will do! Interesting that we're reported as asking for Chambers back on loan. On his form of 2 yrs ago not a bad call, but he doesn't seem keen. Deluded if he thinks he'll be starting any time soon at Arsenal.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I think this is the departure that means the team has to evolve slightly and change the way we play. He can't necessarily be replaced, but with astute planning and recruitment we can become a better team - but will have to play a different way to do so.

If we attempt to simply replace him with a like-for-like we will suffer.

What would be an alternative/better business model for us? What could happen re Soares or Juanmi in a couple of years time?

Super player who wanted Champions league football which we could not give him. Seven great seasons for us so you cannot blame him for wishing to play in a higher European league which will stabalise his French place too. The money will also be useful.

What would be an alternative/better business model for us? What could happen re Soares or Juanmi in a couple of years time?

Soares and Juanmi are good buys. We got them towards the end of their contracts and they have the potential to appreciate, with minimal financial risk. If anything, I would like us to buy more, even stockpile younger players in the £5m bracket (perhaps slightly more for domestic talent), mindful that not every player, like Soares, Juanmi or Clyne will be coming to the end of his contract.

Many won't pay off but like buying lottery tickets, the outlays aren't huge (contrast with a Ramirez-type fee) and the ones that pay off, the sky's the limit. I couldn't care less about blocking the path of our own, often overhyped youth which seems a preoccupation on here or carrying a bigger squad, though it is a more legitimate concern.

What's clear -and going back to my original point- is that we've depended on a bumper harvest from our academy to reinvest and that there are few signs that it's going to be anywhere near as productive going forward. In no way is it a criticism of the club; few clubs generate the kind of talent we have in a lifetime, let alone in a few years. It's just a very real possibility.

big big loss more so than any of the others

This, everyone else has been replaceable. Morgan is the key to our team, and is one of the best players in his role in Europe (maybe the world). We may buy players but we will not be able to replace him like for like.

I remember during the championship relegation season when he was a lightweight kid who couldn't tackle and couldn't shoot (still can't tbf) telling my dad that he was wasted in that league and he'd be a better player in the prem. He thought I'd lost the plot

I agree with you. I remember the grief that Lowe got for signing him for £1m but you could see what a decent player he was and was destined for better things. I'll still hope that Manure get hammered every week but wish him well for the future.

This, everyone else has been replaceable. Morgan is the key to our team, and is one of the best players in his role in Europe (maybe the world). We may buy players but we will not be able to replace him like for like.

Good as he is he is not a regular for his country and none of the major foreign teams have been in for him. Every player is replaceable.

So is Morgan. People talk as if he is the be all and end all of our team but he really isn't. Last summer everyone was talking about how much we depend on Lambert and the team can't cope without him. We replaced Rickie and will replace Morgan.

Last year without Morgan we:

Beat Villa 6-1

Beat Arsenal 2-0

Beat Everton 3-0

Beat Newcastle 2-1

With Morgan we

Lost 1-0 to Sheff Utd

Lost 1-0 to WBA

Drew 0-0 with WBA

Lost 2-1 to Stoke

Lost 1-0 at Everton

Yes I know I'm just cherry picking results but the point is we've had some great wins without him and some sh*t defeats with him. He will be missed but there is no reason our results will drop if we bring in a decent replacement.

I agree with what people are saying above. I don't think we need to look for a like for like replacement, I think we're better off trying to evolve his position and add a new element to our midfield.

Having Morgan and Wanyama in midfield was droolworthy in a defensive sense, the sheild they put up was as good as any in European football. However, whilst this depature may well hit us defensivley, it allows us to evolve the side to incorporate a more forward thinking midfield unit, with Victor left as the sheild.

All the best to him.

He shouldn't have spouted off on Twitter last year, but we all make mistakes and in terms of his application on the pitch last season, you cannot fault him. He's been through the darkest times and also the very best of times with us; I wouldn't go as far to say he has been loyal, but he's been about as loyal as you can expect of a modern Premier League footballer.

And we can't really complain, yet again we've negotiated what looks like a fantastic deal financially for him. Which I have no doubt will help go towards recruiting some other players in the next few weeks.

If I'm being honest I can't say I care about what happens next for him now. If all those that have left had stuck together we could of had a really great team here now. All the players who have gone on to the supposedly greener side, were better as a team instead of a bunch of individuals warming the bench of the big clubs. They all could have stayed and made history with Southampton side and achieved something special. They knew each other's game so well through going up the leagues together and were better as a team then a bunch of individuals. Greed and ego is the only reason to move on because if they had stuck together I really do believe they would have won silverware together. So I don't wish Morgan well. I don't care what happens for him with Utd. I just hope we put the money to good use.

----------Forster

--Clyne Fonte Toby Shaw

------Morgan Wanyama

---Tadic Lallana Mane

----------Jay Rod

Subs. Davis, Chambers, Targett, Davis, Ward-Prowse,Juanmi/Ramirez,Pelle/Lambert. #TheSquadWeCouldOfHad

Add Cork, Puncheon, Lovren(the good one) and the Ox to that squad and you have a title challenging squad IMO

Then there's Bale and Walcott.:(

Edited by Saint IQ

What's clear -and going back to my original point- is that we've depended on a bumper harvest from our academy to reinvest and that there are few signs that it's going to be anywhere near as productive going forward. In no way is it a criticism of the club; few clubs generate the kind of talent we have in a lifetime, let alone in a few years. It's just a very real possibility.

Whilst that is true, we have used that "windfall" to cement our foundations in the top half of the PL without having to take on any real debt, freeing us to use the more than adequate PL TV revenues to consolidate and move forward.

We might have been a bit lucky with the timing, but hey-ho, you make your own luck in life.