Schneiderlin Joins Manchester United (Official)

Bewildered

Would you rather he had given interviews saying he would be happy to stay at Saints for the rest of his career, when that clearly wasn't the case?

He was simply being honest by saying he wanted to move up to a Champions League club, which is what he is now doing. I think it's perfectly understandable he wants to play at the next level after 7 years at the club.

Batman's "what a hypocrite" klaxon is on a hair trigger and goes off regardless of what anyone says or doesn't say or does or doesn't do.

We got Clyne cheap or free, always thought he'd be ambitious and maybe move on. I can't fault Morgan, he's been here a long time which doesn't often happen with foreign players. From L1 to Premier League, and although he didn't get his move and moaned, he did then perform again all season. He's a saints legend IMO and I wish him luck, superb player.

Lallana came across badly and did ruin things a bit, but I'm sure in time we'll focus on what he actually did for saints, which was superb.

No way .................'burn your bridges', 'make your bed now lie in it'..........hope the thick c*nt rots in hell. Just my opinion :)

Highly doubt we'll get him due to his wages, unless he would come for less money than he is on there, a player doing that is very rare.

Although due to the tax system in France, he might still end up with only slightly more £££ over in Paris than over here in Southampton even if we payed him less here, get me?

Not really PSG pay their players huge amounts net of tax. It's Qatari money anyway and they don't give a toss because they've got more than they know what to do with.

I have complete faith

But

It would sure be nice to have a marque signing in between Morgan and clyne leaving

From the sounds of it Saints are pushing the sales of Clyne and Schneiderlin forward (as they have declared their intention to leave) so they have the funds to acquire top targets early in the summer rather than deal with the frantic nature of the last few weeks of August.

Listening to talkSport (with Jason Dodd on at the moment), it annoys me how they all say "Can Southampton keep on selling their best players and continue to do well?" WTF are these pundits on? Really surprised by Danny Kelly who is hosting the breakfast show this morning, as he recently has been saying how ****ed the league is with the big boys just being able to either take all your best players at will or buying in those, both resulting in the rather predictable top 6 that we always get (with the odd exception). Do Kelly, Wilkins and Dodd think that we want to sell Clyne and Morgan?

U

Listening to talkSport (with Jason Dodd on at the moment), it annoys me how they all say "Can Southampton keep on selling their best players and continue to do well?" WTF are these pundits on? Really surprised by Danny Kelly who is hosting the breakfast show this morning, as he recently has been saying how ****ed the league is with the big boys just being able to either take all your best players at will or buying in those, both resulting in the rather predictable top 6 that we always get (with the odd exception). Do Kelly, Wilkins and Dodd think that we want to sell Clyne and Morgan?

Whether we want to or not is irrelevant really. The question itself is still valid. Can we continue to sell out best players and be smart enough to continue to do well? So far so good but we're only judging over a relatively short time frame.

U

Whether we want to or not is irrelevant really. The question itself is still valid. Can we continue to sell out best players and be smart enough to continue to do well? So far so good but we're only judging over a relatively short time frame.

It's very very hard to do and maintain your league position and / or progress. History says you can't, so it is a valid question.

It's very very hard to do and maintain your league position and / or progress. History says you can't' date=' so it is a valid question.[/quote']

That depends. Morgan is a damn sight harder to replace than Clyne but if we bring in two of the names we've been linked with as replacements for him you could argue that the squad/team is stronger.

We can, IMHO, lose 1, maybe 2, top players per season for stupid money as long as we but quality replacements.

U

In all probability No. Football history itself tells us as much. Unfortunately "selling clubs" or "plundered clubs" if you like win little to nowt and eventually succumb to going down.

Which club has broken the most transfers [purchasing] in the history of the game? Real Madrid. Which is the most successful, esteemed and glamorous club in the world? Real Madrid. Therein lies the Gospel.

That depends. Morgan is a damn sight harder to replace than Clyne but if we bring in two of the names we've been linked with as replacements for him you could argue that the squad/team is stronger.

We can, IMHO, lose 1, maybe 2, top players per season for stupid money as long as we but quality replacements.

Which names would make us stronger then ? Genuinely interested...certainly not Clasie or Gueye, unless we go to 3DMs that is.

Too many people are being unrealistic about the nature of the league. There are the big 6 (plus maybe Everton) and then there are the rest. We are part of the rest and in the past 2 seasons have done rather well and come top of our "league". All this talk of progress - progress to where exactly? Unless we undertake a business model like Blackburn did in the early 1990s, or Chelsea/Man City did more recently, we are where we are. We will not be able to keep our best players if those above us want them. £50-60k a week is not enough when they can get twice that elsewhere.

And some people go on about it being the best league in the world. Pah, it may be better than the other top leagues in the world, but that isn't saying much. For me, best league in the world is the 4th most watched - ie the Championship - where any team can win it, and as B'mouth showed last season, that really is the case. While the quality might not be up there with the best, it is still not bad but the evenness in competition more than make up for that.

Too many people are being unrealistic about the nature of the league. There are the big 6 (plus maybe Everton) and then there are the rest. We are part of the rest and in the past 2 seasons have done rather well and come top of our "league". All this talk of progress - progress to where exactly? Unless we undertake a business model like Blackburn did in the early 1990s, or Chelsea/Man City did more recently, we are where we are. We will not be able to keep our best players if those above us want them. £50-60k a week is not enough when they can get twice that elsewhere.

And some people go on about it being the best league in the world. Pah, it may be better than the other top leagues in the world, but that isn't saying much. For me, best league in the world is the 4th most watched - ie the Championship - where any team can win it, and as B'mouth showed last season, that really is the case. While the quality might not be up there with the best, it is still not bad but the evenness in competition more than make up for that.

What separates the top 6 from us is money and the potential to play in the Champs League. From that POV Everton are no better than we are and they don't have the financial clout to build a top 4. Spurs will only remain in that group for as long as they are willing to chuck money into finishing 6th and the Europa League. Don't forget clubs like Leeds and Newcastle have been in their position in recent years and dropped away when their owners stopped spending.

I'd say it's more of a big 5 we will never be able to compete with long term, although with Brenda in charge who knows.

love all this talk of us "continuing to sell our best players".... Lovren was iffy at Saints at the best of times, Davis had better stats in almost all departments that Lallana in his last season , and Lambert was looking like a horse well past the time for pasture.... Now we are selling Clyne who is increasing looking like a one trick pony and is replaceable for sure and Morgan , who as everyone would no doubt agree was and is one of our best players but wants the next step up which is fair enough after the service he has given. I fully expect him to flourish in the next few seasons unlike headless chicken Lallana and Clyne who will just become an ordinary player in a less than ordinary side. For me the catastrophe would be loosing the likes of Fonte, Victor and JayRod.... maybe its just the way I see things.... lol....

love all this talk of us "continuing to sell our best players".... Lovren was iffy at Saints at the best of times, Davis had better stats in almost all departments that Lallana in his last season , and Lambert was looking like a horse well past the time for pasture.... Now we are selling Clyne who is increasing looking like a one trick pony and is replaceable for sure and Morgan , who as everyone would no doubt agree was and is one of our best players but wants the next step up which is fair enough after the service he has given. I fully expect him to flourish in the next few seasons unlike headless chicken Lallana and Clyne who will just become an ordinary player in a less than ordinary side. For me the catastrophe would be loosing the likes of Fonte, Victor and JayRod.... maybe its just the way I see things.... lol....

:lol:

That's complete tosh. Talk about a rewrite of history!

U

Manchester United continued after losing the likes of Eric Cantona and Bryan Robson. It is not who goes but who replaces them. If you keep replacing quality with quality you should continue to do well.

Manchester United continued after losing the likes of Eric Cantona and Bryan Robson. It is not who goes but who replaces them. If you keep replacing quality with quality you should continue to do well.

Are you seriously trying to compare United with their pulling power and us?

Man Utd, one of the biggest football clubs in the world, can sell players almost always on their terms and have the clout to almost guarantee replacing quality with quality. They certainly don't lose 6-7 of their best players in a year. We are operating in a completely different World altogether. Bizarre comparison.

Are you seriously trying to compare United with their pulling power and us?

That's not really his point. Besides, how many players were out there as good as Cantona and Robson? Compared to how many are out there as good as Morgan or Clyne?

The point is many people thought we'd struggle after losing 4 of our best players (and Chambers) but the replacements were as good or better overall.

That's not really his point. Besides, how many players were out there as good as Cantona and Robson? Compared to how many are out there as good as Morgan or Clyne?

The point is many people thought we'd struggle after losing 4 of our best players (and Chambers) but the replacements were as good or better overall.

it is the point. In term of staying where they are, united can afford to have multi million pound flops as they will just buy another, then another and another after that. we cant and our margin for error in staying 7th or 8th is far smaller then theirs as we have no where near the spending power they have

Edited by Batman

Which names would make us stronger then ? Genuinely interested...certainly not Clasie or Gueye, unless we go to 3DMs that is.

I think the point is that if we replace Morgan with Clasie AND Gueye, as was reported yesterday then you could argue that the squad will be stronger. Of course neither individually is as good as Morgan, but if we bring in both, that's a different matter.

Imo with Morgan and clyne leaving, it signals the end of the Cortese /champions league/ 100k seater stadium crowd.

Then new breed of saints squad will be playing for Ronald

Of cause when Ronald leaves we re screwed lol

Why? We'll just get another suitable replacement.

But that has nothing to do with United because their task of replacing players is made miles easier because they have many more players to choose from. We don't have that luxury (in many ways this makes last summer even more impressive but we shouldn't assume that streak will continue forever.)

I think the point is that if we replace Morgan with Clasie AND Gueye, as was reported yesterday then you could argue that the squad will be stronger. Of course neither individually is as good as Morgan, but if we bring in both, that's a different matter.

matter of opinion, Clasie is too small for the PL, even his compatriots who post here say so, Gueye may or may not be somewhere around the level of Jack Cork, if he was that great then some "big team" would be signing him up for a knockdown price of 7 million surely.

Man Utd, one of the biggest football clubs in the world, can sell players almost always on their terms and have the clout to almost guarantee replacing quality with quality. They certainly don't lose 6-7 of their best players in a year. We are operating in a completely different World altogether. Bizarre comparison.

Veron, Blanc, Forlan, Anderson, Poborsky, Taibi... all seemed like a good idea at the time.

I agree it's pointless comparing us and them but they still have the same problems when replacing their players. Their problem is the quality they are looking for is much rarer than going out to obscure European clubs and finding a Tadic or Mane.

Maybe we only need Big Vic as a defensive midfield destroyer, we've been lacking an attacking threat through the middle for a while. I don't know a lot about Clasie, whats his goal/assist record like, or is he more defensive?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Veron, Blanc, Forlan, Anderson, Poborsky, Taibi... all seemed like a good idea at the time.

I agree it's pointless comparing us and them but they still have the same problems when replacing their players. Their problem is the quality they are looking for is much rarer than going out to obscure European clubs and finding a Tadic or Mane.

As Batman rightly pointed out though, they can afford to make expensive mistakes and many of them. How many Osvaldo or Ramirez type signings can we afford?

Maybe we only need Big Vic as a defensive midfield destroyer, we've been lacking an attacking threat through the middle for a while. I don't know a lot about Clasie, whats his goal/assist record like, or is he more defensive?

At the start of last season, Koeman's preferred midfield set up, from back to front, was more like this:

--------------------------*----------------------------

---------------*------------------*-------------------

... than Poch's one of this:

------------*---------------------*--------------------

----------------------*---------------------------------

Indeed, away to West Ham, people may recall that Morgan played at the base with Davis and JWP in front of him.

Even when Morgan and Big Vic both played they seemed to have a lot more licence to get forwards. I don't think Big Vic would have scored that goal at Swansea if Poch was manager.

There is no rule that we need two sitting midfielders in every game, particularly if we have the players on the pitch who are capable of dominating possession. I'm intrgued as to how we are going to set up next season, particularly with the Juanmi signing. He won't be too happy on the bench, I would've thought, so I wonder if we are looking at a system without a "big man" (ie. Pelle) for certain matches. Clearly, last season, Pelle was not all that effective in Premier League away matches. And where does a fit Tadic fit into this?

I think next season could be a right laugh. Back to Chrissy Nichol 4-2-4 times.

As Batman rightly pointed out though, they can afford to make expensive mistakes and many of them. How many Osvaldo or Ramirez type signings can we afford?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Man Utd's chief scout says that to Avram Glazer. You can't go spending £60m on Di Maria and shrug your shoulders when it doesn't work out, no matter how big you are.

It's different pressures but to think Utd have it easier when it comes to signing players is naive. There are very few to choose from who are good enough and they have to compete with the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Chelsea. As such they usually end up paying through the nose.

:lol:

That's complete tosh. Talk about a rewrite of history!

You need to get to more games buddy... Lallana had inferior pass-completion stats than Davis in his last season for us... and then went on to have a season with Liverpool where his pass completion stats were horrific.... He was class in Championship and lower, and was showing signs of promise in the Prem.... but the stats don't lie.... he was never worth £25M in a million years.... And Lovren had so much protection from our midfield in his season that he looked a lot better than he was.... I stand by what I said. Morgan is one of our best players and that will be a loss but as for the rest... at the stupid money they went for , bravo......

matter of opinion, Clasie is too small for the PL, even his compatriots who post here say so, Gueye may or may not be somewhere around the level of Jack Cork, if he was that great then some "big team" would be signing him up for a knockdown price of 7 million surely.

Gueye is far superior to Cork.

Classie will be key in keeping the tempo of the passing high, he will be key in the transition from defence to attack but will not get forward much further than the centre circle in the opponents half.

You need to get to more games buddy... Lallana had inferior pass-completion stats than Davis in his last season for us... and then went on to have a season with Liverpool where his pass completion stats were horrific.... He was class in Championship and lower, and was showing signs of promise in the Prem.... but the stats don't lie.... he was never worth £25M in a million years.... And Lovren had so much protection from our midfield in his season that he looked a lot better than he was.... I stand by what I said. Morgan is one of our best players and that will be a loss but as for the rest... at the stupid money they went for , bravo......

Lallana scored 9 league goals and had 8 assists in his last season for us. In that same season Davis scored 2 and set up 7. If the latter's pass completion was higher, at least part of it will have been his annoying habit of immediately popping the ball back to the CB that's just given it to him instead of turning and moving up the field, though I'm not sure the difference between 84.6% and 85.3% merits a lot of attention.

Also worth noting, in an admittedly ropey first season at Liverpool, Lallana still managed 5 goals and 3 assists to Davis's 0 goals and 2 assists for us last season.

Best of luck to Morgan, has served the club very well and goes for a big, although appropriate given how good a CM he is, fee. He's learned from last summer and has seemingly let the clubs get on with the negotiations - unlike a certain former team captain last summer. Hence his departure will be on rather warmer terms one suspects. I think that leaves Kelvin as the only link from the pre-Liebherr takeover era. Credit to whoever bought Morgan in the midst of our horrific financial crisis back in 2008.

Fascinated to see who replaces him - Gueye and Clasie seem to be the favourites. I wouldn't be upset with Cabaye joining us instead, although as other posters have said, the latter doesn't fit Saints business model quite as neatly. Either way, seeing as we can't replace Morgan directly without a) risking the whole club b) flouting FFP, strengthening the CM department with 2 or 3 players who could become as effective as Morgan over time seems like the approach the club could take.