Midtjylland vs Saints

Lighthouse

Quantify "years". Adkins didn't have the chance to establish a "style" in the Prem, under Pochettino we defended from the front and tried to score on turnovers by winning the ball high up the field and recycled possession around midfield when we couldn't get a fast break, and last season under Koeman we had a very defensive formation with fullbacks getting forward to give the side width, but we were never particularly possession-minded (unlike, say, Swansea) and struggled to score on the occasions where we were too predictable.

This season we haven't really got a single style yet, but the signs are that we've reverted to defending from a couple of unsuccessful attempts at attacking Newcastle and the first half at Everton.

I suspect that we've gone defensive in order to stabilise things and provide a basis on which to develop.

last season under Koeman we had a very defensive formation with fullbacks getting forward to give the side width

Considering people have been repeating the 'we don't play with wingers' mantra since the Championship, it's fair to say that we've been relying on the fullbacks to provide width for a lot longer than a season.

What does feel increasingly the case though is that now pretty much everything either goes long or goes wide. Without Toby to step out of defence with the ball, Fonte/Yoshida either go for a hoof onto Pelle's head, or the ball gets cycled through to one of our three defensive midfielders (yes, three usually) who pops it out wide to meet the run off a fullback who will just be passing half-way by the time the ball is released.

Quantify "years". Adkins didn't have the chance to establish a "style" in the Prem, under Pochettino we defended from the front and tried to score on turnovers by winning the ball high up the field and recycled possession around midfield when we couldn't get a fast break, and last season under Koeman we had a very defensive formation with fullbacks getting forward to give the side width, but we were never particularly possession-minded (unlike, say, Swansea) and struggled to score on the occasions where we were too predictable.

This season we haven't really got a single style yet, but the signs are that we've reverted to defending from a couple of unsuccessful attempts at attacking Newcastle and the first half at Everton.

Adkins played very positively in the half a season he had, and of course before that in the lower leagues. Throwing bodies forward cost us defensively in those early premiership days as much as the mistakes in the back four.

I think you're confusing good defending with playing defensively. Defensive play is understood to mean putting bodies deep and behind the ball, rather than by defending from the front.

Playing with two holding midfielders is of course more defensive than one, but pressing high isn't and we've always tried to pass, move and attack in numbers. Our 'defensive' style this year (Sunday aside) has been through poor passing and movement, meaning we give away the ball and get attacked more. We've still put numbers forward when possible and kept a high line.

(For what it's worth I don't think many Premiership sides play defensively at all, it's a fast, attacking league)

Considering people have been repeating the 'we don't play with wingers' mantra since the Championship, it's fair to say that we've been relying on the fullbacks to provide width for a lot longer than a season.

What does feel increasingly the case though is that now pretty much everything either goes long or goes wide. Without Toby to step out of defence with the ball, Fonte/Yoshida either go for a hoof onto Pelle's head, or the ball gets cycled through to one of our three defensive midfielders (yes, three usually) who pops it out wide to meet the run off a fullback who will just be passing half-way by the time the ball is released.

I don't remember this Alderweireld dribbling being a feature. Now Schneiderlin bringing the ball forward, that's a thing neither Wanyama nor Romeu do as well. And don't get me started on "three defensive midfielders".

I don't remember this Alderweireld dribbling being a feature. Now Schneiderlin bringing the ball forward, that's a thing neither Wanyama nor Romeu do as well. And don't get me started on "three defensive midfielders".

I said step out, not bomb forward like David Luiz. Toby regularly moved 10-15 yards forward, compressing the midfield before playing a pass with far greater accuracy than any of our current back line seem to be capable. Losing the accuracy of his distribution alone has probably changed our possession game as much as anything.

I said step out, not bomb forward like David Luiz. Toby regularly moved 10-15 yards forward, compressing the midfield before playing a pass with far greater accuracy than any of our current back line seem to be capable. Losing the accuracy of his distribution alone has probably changed our possession game as much as anything.

Could only do that due the the protection offered by Victor And Morgan

Both Toby and Morgan are also above average dead ball exponents, which to be diplomatic took the pressure of having to include Ward-Prowse or even saddle Davo wit that responsibility.

Both Toby and Morgan are also above average dead ball exponents, which to be diplomatic took the pressure of having to include Ward-Prowse or even saddle Davo wit that responsibility.

Ward-Prowse is clearly our best free-kick taker, I just wish he'd aim for the goal. :D

As does Tadic.

Small sample but no Pelle, Vic or Mane.

Pelle doesn't train because he's too old, anyway that was the reason I was advised before Watford :) But I see Fonte is training this time. Not surprised about Mane, if he was concussed he won't play or train this week. Can't read much into it though, those who didn't train last week played on Sunday.

No Caulker or Martina either.

Edited by VectisSaint

We won't drop Pelle but it is playing into their hands a bit. Need pace and people to run at them, more subtlety. They'll be fouling us every 5 seconds.

Pelle will be vital to us if we presume they will sit back and look to manage the game for 90mins. It's how we play around him that matters. He has a presence and we need that as far forward as possible so he can occupy one, if not two, central defenders.

I still think some are underestimating this side, I'd imagine the Danes will be a totally different proposition at home. I know they got the draw and vital away goal at SMS but I can't see the Danish league champions being too phased at facing us on home soil, particularly after what they saw over here. They did what they had to do at St Mary's, and a pretty efficient job it was too.

Tough game ahead.

Their official site pumping up the home fans

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=http://fcm.dk/home&prev=search

The red lamps are lit.

MCH Arena is filled to the brim in the decisive showdown between FCM and guests from Southampton

All prerequisites for a hell of a fight is present on Thursday when FC Midtjylland should try to play through to the Europa League group stage.

The 9,481 seats at MCH Arena is occupied, it is one of the most important matches in Midtjylland's history and FCM have managed to create tension with a good result in England.

I hope the central Jutland fans let inhibitions stay at home and create a maximum pressure against Southampton on Thursday. It is the type of matches where the 12th man could be decisive for the match outcome, encourages brand manager Søren Märcher.

In other words, the 12th man more important than ever, because we can not plan results, but when the unit is together, we can deliver it, others did not think was possible!

The match kicks off at 20.45 and will also appear on TV3 +.

Apparently the Malmo fans were outstanding against Celtic last night, the Scandinavians appear to be up for it like most other European fans. Just the Brits that are passive 'supporters' these days then.

jay - everything is great

RK - Will wait to see if Mane will play, he has not trained

Vic did not travel, he is 'ill'...has a stomach infection

will take time for jay. that is normal. still not 100%

when he is 100%, he will be an interesting player for the national side. But please do not put pressure (pointed at the journo asking jay about being called up this week)

he needs more time, we have to manage him. Jay knows this. When he is at his normal level, he will start every game but he needs sharpness and time

Vic not coming has nothing to do with speculation. Doctor signed him off

We hope victor is back for sunday, will have to wait

we know how they play, we know we have to score, we cant defend a result, we have to go for it and we will go for it

expect them to play the same style. More so as they have an away goal

we should have won last week, if we play towards our level confident we will win

2nd half last week was how we have to play tomorrow

we will go more direct to get the result. main thing tomorrow is to win

I expected a hard start to the season and that is what we have. I am not negative about it. Always positive

No bids for any of our players

New players are not dependant on the result tomorrow