Injury Watch

Roger

not Saints - related (thankfully) but there was a list of fans looking to get Danny Ings signed up in the summer..but now he is sidelined for the rest of the season with cruciate ligament problem (or similar). Looking at the agonising wait that JayRod had in getting fit again, perhaps....(in retrospect)....it's good that we didn't sign him.

I have no sympathy for Liverpool at all...but hope that Danny will be on the mend soon.

Perhaps .....if Herr Klopp doesn't "do the business " at Anfield, Danny may return to ....yet another manager. :scared:

not Saints - related (thankfully) but there was a list of fans looking to get Danny Ings signed up in the summer..but now he is sidelined for the rest of the season with cruciate ligament problem (or similar). Looking at the agonising wait that JayRod had in getting fit again, perhaps....(in retrospect)....it's good that we didn't sign him.

I'm confused how you've come to this. Are you suggesting if Saints had signed Ings that whilst a Saints player he would have injured his knee in a Liverpool training session?

I'm confused how you've come to this. Are you suggesting if Saints had signed Ings that whilst a Saints player he would have injured his knee in a Liverpool training session?

Seriously mate, quit the pathetic pedantic and constant correcting of every single thing anyone ever says that you don't believe is 100% accurate or that you don't understand. It's incredibly sad

Seriously mate, quit the pathetic pedantic and constant correcting of every single thing anyone ever says that you don't believe is 100% accurate or that you don't understand. It's incredibly sad

It can be annoying, but this time he's right. It's ridiculous to suggest that Ings would have gotten injured had he gone to Saints instead of Liverpool.

There may have been a weakness in his knee tissue in the first place, and though it maybe difficult to diagnose, it's obvious that if his knee was so fragile ..... ........he could have been injured anywhere....at anytime....in a training session... or a match. The geography is surely irrelevant.

There may have been a weakness in his knee tissue in the first place, and though it maybe difficult to diagnose, it's obvious that if his knee was so fragile ..... ........he could have been injured anywhere....at anytime....in a training session... or a match. The geography is surely irrelevant.

David in Sweden - 1

MLG - 0

What a load of nonsense.

It can be annoying, but this time he's right. It's ridiculous to suggest that Ings would have gotten injured had he gone to Saints instead of Liverpool.

No. He is not right. Highly probable this would have happened to Danny sooner or later, unless he quit football. Injuries like this are more likely to be due to an inerent weakness. Dave In Sweden. 2 MLG 0

Lots of reasons offered that I've seen, but none whatsoever mention "inherent weakness" but David in Sweden and Vectis say so so must be the reason. Must be.

We have all got a weakness in our knee if it twists beyond the point it is able to. It is like saying JRod's injury was caused by a weakness in his knee. Twist your knee, you are b*ggered. It is as simple as that.

You're right of course, bit then JRod's injury was not a twist. He landed on it straight and it crumpled. That is the type of injury ee are seeing now in greater numbers. It could be partly down to the modern pitches having less give brvause of the way they are constructed.

We have all got a weakness in our knee if it twists beyond the point it is able to.

It is like saying JRod's injury was caused by a weakness in his knee. Twist your knee, you are b*ggered. It is as simple as that.

quite some years ago I had a knee injury (not a sporting one), but on successive visits got interesting info. from the physio on cause and effect.

he said ....that 80% of his patients were sportsmen / women because the heavy training schedule they undergo on a regular basis plays havoc with ligaments, and that the knee is one of the most complicated joints in the body. If there is a weakness, it can take a long time to recover the strength ...if indeed they recover 100% at all.

that's the only reason I remembered. Of course, accidents can happen anytime, but a hardtraining sportsman is additionally vulnerable compared to those of us who may only walk to work ...or to the pub.

Those neighbourhood joggers who pound the pavements so regularly (?)...should put themselves down for a knee op. or hip replacements in 2035.

Edited by david in sweden

quite some years ago I had a knee injury (not a sporting one), but on successive visits got interesting info. from the physio on cause and effect.

he said ....that 80% of his patients were sportsmen / women because the heavy training schedule they undergo on a regular basis plays havoc with ligaments, and that the knee is one of the most complicated joints in the body. If there is a weakness, it can take a long time to recover the strength ...if indeed they recover 100% at all.

that's the only reason I remembered. Of course, accidents can happen anytime, but a hardtraining sportsman is additionally vulnerable compared to those of us who may only walk to work ...or to the pub.

Those neighbourhood joggers who pound the pavements so regularly (?)...should put themselves down for a knee op. or hip replacements in 2035.

Strange then that the physio I did, which led to my knee injury no longer causing my leg to give way, was running and strengthening muscles around the knee. Anyone would think that exercising was better for them than not. Plus numerous people have come back from injuries stronger due to specifically strengthening the area of weakness.

As for Danny Ings' injury, I don't recall us having any details of how he did it, which makes any kind of analysis of how and why it happened pretty difficult.

Strange then that the physio I did, which led to my knee injury no longer causing my leg to give way, was running and strengthening muscles around the knee. Anyone would think that exercising was better for them than not. Plus numerous people have come back from injuries stronger due to specifically strengthening the area of weakness.

As for Danny Ings' injury, I don't recall us having any details of how he did it, which makes any kind of analysis of how and why it happened pretty difficult.

I also did some extra training to build up the weakened knee after treatment, and - as you said - the knee tissue needed building up, but then again my problem was from a freak accident when I hit my knee on an office desk. I never played in a football team that trained as intensively, and as often as Prem. players do.

I can only assume that intensive training must place more stress on the knees /ankles than the average persons daily activities, but there does seem to a plethora of such injuries in the Prem. at the moment - (think Bournemouth alone have 3 players out for the season with related injuries).

As you appear to know more about the subject, I bow to your superior knowledge.

My original comment was that it was fortunate for us that Ings wasn't a Saints player when it happened.

(someone)... earlier on the thread suggested Ings' injury happened in a Liverpool training session, which of course could happen to any player in any club, anywhere.

Serious knee ligament injuries are very common in the NFL. While athletes can build up muscle, they can't strengthen ligaments which become the weak area that snaps first.

That's one of the problems for those kind of sports, football impacts are more easily predicted, usually target the ball not the player, and as a result players can get up in the air to prevent the damage from twisting with full bodyweight through the joint at the point of impact (unless you're Jay Rodriguez which was an absolute fluke).

In rugby, gridiron etc the tackles can come from anywhere, you're more likely to be at high speed as you're not slowed by controlling a ball at your feet, and they're allowed to directly hit you rather than attempting to take the ball away. Imagine how bad it would be with chop blocks legal.

That's one of the problems for those kind of sports, football impacts are more easily predicted, usually target the ball not the player, and as a result players can get up in the air to prevent the damage from twisting with full bodyweight through the joint at the point of impact (unless you're Jay Rodriguez which was an absolute fluke).

In rugby, gridiron etc the tackles can come from anywhere, you're more likely to be at high speed as you're not slowed by controlling a ball at your feet, and they're allowed to directly hit you rather than attempting to take the ball away. Imagine how bad it would be with chop blocks legal.

Not quite true. The evidence is that the majority of ACL injuries in the NFL are not contact-related - one estimate puts the figure as high as 70%. Accidents happen because of the way athletes jump, land and plant their feet, especially when its on their nondominant side. The reason why rates are higher in the NFL, at least, is that athletes are simply bigger and faster.

Shane Long injured in training again today apparently? Another 3-4 weeks?

No he wasn't, that came from "journalists" who didn't listen to what Koeman actually said. Koeman said Long trained this week but isn't quite fit enough yet to be in the match day squad, but thinks both he could be for the Stoke game.

great news. Most articles stated that this injury would mean a 6-9 month recovery, which is what it would have roughly been.

the talk about him NEVER playing this season was always OTT.

Isn't that OTT really, Snodgrass of Hull did the same injury last July and hasn't recovered fully yet.

The counting of chickens is going well. The same was said about J-Rod.

Yep. Fully expecting a similar "should be by christmas...should be in the new year...should be by february...should get a game before the end of the season...we won't risk him this season" to play out.