Injury Watch

Roger

I've always thought goalkeepers should be the ones organising the defence, they can see everything, even the centre backs don't always know what's happening behind them, especially when the ball's out wide.

Maybe it's just me that never shut up when I was doing a stint in goal then. :D

I play in goal and I can assure you I am as quiet as a mouse. Different horses for different courses I suppose. I do let a lot in though.

Presumably they assembled and trained in Paris before flying out to Africa. Remember that Senegal is a former French colony

To be fair, nearly all of their players are based in France, England or Italy, probably makes sense. Not sure its anything to do with French colonialisation though, Kenya, for example, don't assemble in London before a game.

To be fair, nearly all of their players are based in France, England or Italy, probably makes sense. Not sure its anything to do with French colonialisation though, Kenya, for example, don't assemble in London before a game.

Hopefully, just bad bruising and he will be OK to play for us when he gets back.

I've always thought goalkeepers should be the ones organising the defence, they can see everything, even the centre backs don't always know what's happening behind them, especially when the ball's out wide.

Maybe it's just me that never shut up when I was doing a stint in goal then. :D

IMHO the very best keepers don't shut up all game.

IMHO the very best keepers don't shut up all game.

I'm an advocate of defensive communication in all its forms, especially at parks level, so I'd be inclined to agree, but I'm not sure how much evidence there is that it's needed at the top level when teams make far fewer of the basic mistakes and don't usually need to be told where other players are or to track runners, etc.

I'm an advocate of defensive communication in all its forms, especially at parks level, so I'd be inclined to agree, but I'm not sure how much evidence there is that it's needed at the top level when teams make far fewer of the basic mistakes and don't usually need to be told where other players are or to track runners, etc.

Schmeickle (SP) was a gobby sod as was Dino Zoff - its just not heard a lot over the crowd noise etc. All great keepers give the defence "instructions" it just gets lost in the hubbub. As to evidence I would have thought that it would be hard to prove either way. You'd need to start by defining what a great keeper is and that itself would be where the difficulty starts.

Well that Mane injury story was a false alarm. He not only played but scored against Madagascar.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/round=276420/match=300338626/index.html

I'd still be worried. Several players, especially Delgado, in the past suffered because they played matches for unscrupulous countries with the help of injections and ended up with career ending injuries.

I watched the match didn't seem to bad as he played on for another 25 minutes after getting treatment. I'd assumed he was subbed off because some kid who plays for Blackburn was skinning him every time they ended up one on one with each other.

He had treatment after slipping over when changing direction, given that Netherlands have nothing to play for it's hardly a surprise that he's not been risked.

Just heard from a reasonably reliable source that VVD is fine.

However, he then said he may not be risked on "tiredness" grounds. Wldnt that apply to Yoshida even more?

The long trip to Cardiff to play 45 minutes must have left him shattered. Think your source might be as unreliable as an unreliable thing.

I did think to myself that whole passage of play sums him up.

Did well to get behind the defence, win the ball, hold off the defender and make the chance. Wasn't easy and he was possibly nudged.

Shame he didn't finish though, would have been a great goal.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I look at his goal vs Germany and see that that can sum him up as well. Love the way he reads the game and makes angled runs to get behind defences while staying onside. I think he reads the game pretty well, as he often starts these runs way way before other people have started. The Villa 6-1 games showed that as well, esp for Mané's 2nd goal, and to a lesser extent, his goal (of the season). His first touch for the Germany goal was appalling and lucky. Hit him on the shin but fortunately bounced in the right direction and allowed him to take a shot, which in fairness was a sweet strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceG7EUOjDGg

I think he's a great player to have in the squad to bring on. I don't know what people think you can buy for 12m these days. 7 goals and 7 assists last season. Not too shabby at all. It's also his off the ball work, of generally stretching defenders and making space for others to run into, that I like. You can spend all day talking about 'putting that money to better use', but he's a saints player, enjoys the club, fits in well and puts a shift in, as well as a goal or assist occassionally. any whining that still goes on about how much he cost and how it wasn't worth it is just attention seeking

I think he's a great player to have in the squad to bring on. I don't know what people think you can buy for 12m these days. 7 goals and 7 assists last season. Not too shabby at all. It's also his off the ball work, of generally stretching defenders and making space for others to run into, that I like. You can spend all day talking about 'putting that money to better use', but he's a saints player, enjoys the club, fits in well and puts a shift in, as well as a goal or assist occassionally. any whining that still goes on about how much he cost and how it wasn't worth it is just attention seeking

This.

I wasn't slagging him off, actually really like him as a player, he has obvious limitations though.

I agree with you. He's not one of those players who you expect to score every time that they break clear, but I like the energy he brings to our attack and he can strike the ball cleanly and sharply when he gets a chance. Let's face it, if he were could get rid of his limitations he'd be worth a hell of a lot more.

someone better than Long

Anyone know what has happened to Ramirez? No sign of him recently again, missing from last weekend's squad, now missing from training on Twitter video. I guess he is injured yet again.

Notice Ramirez is back in today's video. No word from anyone why he has been missing since the Boscombe match.

His return (such as it was) was very slow given the time-frame of his absence.

Feel really sad for him to have gone through all this pain. He was desperate to get back, but who knows how long he will be out this time.

However, it does highlight the urgent need for signing another quality striker in January.

Although Pelle and Mane are in good form, ....injuries and suspensions ... can ...and do / have happen(ed).

Shane Long is (apparantly) back, we don't have many other striker alternatives but it may mean we (finally) see Ryan Seager on the bench in the near future.

Edited by david in sweden

Shane Long is (apparantly) back

Long isn't apparently back, he is definitely back. He was training with Saints in the build-up to the Sunderland game, played for Ireland this week and was in training with Saints this week.

we don't have many other striker alternatives

We have Juanmi as well. Many appear to have harshly written him off already.

it may mean we (finally) see Ryan Seager on the bench in the near future.

Seager was recently on the bench vs Sunderland and Aston Villa.

Long isn't apparently back, he is definitely back.

He was training with Saints in the build-up to the Sunderland game, played for Ireland this week and was in training with Saints this week.

We have Juanmi as well. Many appear to have harshly written him off already.

Seager was recently on the bench vs Sunderland and Aston Villa.

MM...perhaps I should qualify those statements......

1) in press conference Koeman expressed surprise that Long had 30 -odd mins. of play with Ireland - after only one training session.

Written before the kick-off, I wasn't sure myself whether he'd be on the bench ....as it was he started, but didn't seem to do much at all.

2) As no-one has seen Juanmi for more than half-a dozen short(er) sub. apps it's difficult to know what he's supposed to do. He has no real established scoring record in Spain, and what little I've seen of him...he doesn't look like a genuine striker. If you think differently - I bow to your greater knowledge.

3) of course what I should have written was.....Seager coming off the bench. Just being on the bench counts for nothing......and after Pelle's yellow card, we may well see him getting some game time next week - at Citeh......there's no better chance to prove your talent - if you have any. ....