Injury Watch

Roger

He hasn't played for a while though has he and if he is rushed back he could pick up another injury. He wasn't looking Premiership fit before his injury so it wouldn't hurt to give him more time to catch up. Bertrand was given a game with the under 21s. You would think he would have a run out with them before risked for the 1st team.

If Clasie has recovered enough and is match fit, if only for a place on the bench on Saturday, he could give our midfield an extra attacking bite that could easily provide an extra goal. Presumably we may get some indication from RK at the press conference tomorrow if Jordy is likely to be in the squad.

Clasie and Bertrand coming back is like having over £20m of new signings coming into strengthen a team that has already been playing well anyway.

If Clasie has recovered enough and is match fit, if only for a place on the bench on Saturday, he could give our midfield an extra attacking bite that could easily provide an extra goal. Presumably we may get some indication from RK at the press conference tomorrow if Jordy is likely to be in the squad.

Clasie and Bertrand coming back is like having over £20m of new signings coming into strengthen a team that has already been playing well anyway.

is clasie even an attacking player?

Holy Gadzooks Batman! Even defensive midfielders such as Wanyama and Schneiderlin have not only made chances for more forward players but have, occasionally, scored themselves. I believe that Clasie has more in his locker to be offensive, even if he is played as a DM. Use the equipment in the Bat Cave to check him out.

BTW, even CBs score sometimes......

I don't think Clasie will have any expectations to score goals to be fair. It'll be interesting to see how he fits into the team. I always thought we looked best with two 'destroyers' in the holding midfield role and the player further ahead of them to be the one who stitches play between midfield and attack. But more recently Koeman has preferred Davis to Romeu which goes against that so maybe Clasie plays deeper even though a few on here have said he has been training to play in the advanced role for us.

If he does play deeper it will be interesting to see who is preferred in the more advanced role - Davis or JWP.

No - but he might score an occasional goal and thus infinitely more than JWP and davis.

How can he score infinitely more than Davis (6 goals for Saints) or even JWP (2 goals for Saints). I hope he does score, but I'm not expecting that from him, he is more defensively minded (though RK may be converting him into a more offensive role) and like Davis and JWP I expect him to be creating chances (note that does not mean assists) for others, an occassional goal would be a bonus.

I don't think Clasie will have any expectations to score goals to be fair. It'll be interesting to see how he fits into the team. I always thought we looked best with two 'destroyers' in the holding midfield role and the player further ahead of them to be the one who stitches play between midfield and attack. But more recently Koeman has preferred Davis to Romeu which goes against that so maybe Clasie plays deeper even though a few on here have said he has been training to play in the advanced role for us.

If he does play deeper it will be interesting to see who is preferred in the more advanced role - Davis or JWP.

He's gone against that at home against sides we're expecting to beat (e.g. Norwich, Swansea, though not United). Fully expect VW and Romeu to start at Chelsea; what will be interesting is whether we play them away at the likes of Norwich and Swansea (we only went with VW at WBA). Like you, hard to say who gets the nod -Davis or JWP, though push come to shove, I'd go with Davis.

Edited by shurlock

• 2 weeks later...

" Injury " ...can sometimes mean ... " lack of match fitness ", through illness or other reasons.

We now know that Tadic had an " injury " problem last season and often looked " off the boil ", whereas now he is back to the same standard he was a year ago.

Some people seem to think that because someone is " back training with the first team squad " a favourite phrase I've noted, that he'll be in the start 11 next game.

Although JayRod is back playing, he still doesn't look a patch of his performances of 18 months ago.

I never forget the old quote from Alan Shearer..." there is a lot of difference between being match-fit, and being fit enough to play ".

" Injury " ...can sometimes mean ... " lack of match fitness ", through illness or other reasons.

We now know that Tadic had an " injury " problem last season and often looked " off the boil ", whereas now he is back to the same standard he was a year ago.

Some people seem to think that because someone is " back training with the first team squad " a favourite phrase I've noted, that he'll be in the start 11 next game.

Although JayRod is back playing, he still doesn't look a patch of his performances of 18 months ago.

I never forget the old quote from Alan Shearer..." there is a lot of difference between being match-fit, and being fit enough to play ".

Rodriguez's match fitness 2 seasons ago came from being a starter in every match, at the moment he's in and out competing for a start in AM with on-form Mane, Tadic and Davis (and Long and Juanmi to get on from the bench). Plus when Lambert was up top Rodriguez's role was often to go past the front man and get into the box, he's not being asked to do that as much from LM, so it's not a surprise that he's scoring less OR that he's not quite as sharp - though tell that to MK.

On top of big misses for Bournemouth in Gradel, Mings and Wilson, their skipper is now out for at least 10 weeks

they have a horrible run of fixtures coming up now. their next 8 games or so are pretty nasty as is their run-in

hard luck

Edited by Batman

So... misses Leicester, Liverpool and may be on the bench for Bournemouth?

More likely he will not be available for Sunderland either. It is usually best to use the longer date, the short date is very optimistic. Even if he was only out for 2 weeks from now, he would need a week or so training to get back to full fitness. He must be a doubt for the Euro play-offs as they are 4 weeks away. If he has not played before them I doubt that Saints would release him or would strongly advise Ireland not to play him.