The future of Kelvin?

Saint Charlie

Except it clearly didn't, Kelvin is proof of that, and yet people are quite happy to boot him out the door at the end of his contract and have nothing more to do with him.

Slightly melodramatic there.

I don't think we owe Kelvin Davies anything, by the way. We've repaid his loyalty from five years ago. Or are you saying we are obliged to have him as second choice keeper for as long as he says so?

Edited by CB Fry

He was s**te. My knee is shot and I can still kick a football further than his pathetic efforts today. Time to go Kelv and thanks for everything

And yet he clearly had no realistic chance with either Leicester goal yesterday did he?

A good man I think and a exceptionally faithful servant of the club. When he eventually retires if SFC feel he still has something worthwhile to offer the team going forward, then that would be 'all well and good' as far as I'm concerned. However, business is business and he shouldn't be kept on the payroll just out of a misguided sense of sentimentality.

Not that I think that is likley to happen anyway you understand ...

And yet he clearly had no realistic chance with either Leicester goal yesterday did he?

I'd disagree with that part. For the second goal Vardy just smashed it; if the keeper stays on his feet he saves it. Kelvin seemed to just flop to the ground and get out of the way by doing it.

A good man I think and a exceptionally faithful servant of the club. When he eventually retires if SFC feel he still has something worthwhile to offer the team going forward, then that would be 'all well and good' as far as I'm concerned. However, business is business and he shouldn't be kept on the payroll just out of a misguided sense of sentimentality.

Agree with that. Kelvin has been great for us, but he's not up to the task of the Premier League and shouldn't have been put in there. More fool Saints for not having an adequate replacement. And if Gazzaniga isn't that person he shouldn't be here.

A goalkeeper's work goes beyond keeping the ball out of the net. Right from the kickoff yesterday he was flapping and dithering at everything that came his way and the defence were in complete confusion over it. Poor Virgil spent the whole game waiting for Kelvin to come and claim the ball and then kicking it away in panic at the last moment. His kicks never even reached the halfway line and always seemed to find a Leicester player. He may still have a role to play at the club but it certainly isn't between the posts. It would be a sad end to his playing career but you're only as good as your last game. Please, please, let that be his.

A goalkeeper's work goes beyond keeping the ball out of the net. Right from the kickoff yesterday he was flapping and dithering at everything that came his way and the defence were in complete confusion over it. Poor Virgil spent the whole game waiting for Kelvin to come and claim the ball and then kicking it away in panic at the last moment. His kicks never even reached the halfway line and always seemed to find a Leicester player. He may still have a role to play at the club but it certainly isn't between the posts. It would be a sad end to his playing career but you're only as good as your last game. Please, please, let that be his.

Absolutely this.

I'd disagree with that part. For the second goal Vardy just smashed it; if the keeper stays on his feet he saves it. Kelvin seemed to just flop to the ground and get out of the way by doing so

Lol , yep stay on your feet like all the best keepers have done. Of course Vardy would have just rolled the ball into his arms. Reading the posts on here i come to th conclusion that most on here have never kicked a ball. Just go out on a five a side game and see how hard it is to stop a modern football wi pace and power.

I heard fans say that the 2nd goal was down to Kelvins poor kick out, (I wasn't at the game) but the snippet I saw was that the ball was kicked to the halfway line the ball was put into an area where we had 2 midfielders and one Leicester player and their powder puff attempt allowed the Leicester player to release Vardy ( not sure where our defence was?) who then had a free run at goal

Lol , yep stay on your feet like all the best keepers have done. Of course Vardy would have just rolled the ball into his arms. Reading the posts on here i come to th conclusion that most on here have never kicked a ball. Just go out on a five a side game and see how hard it is to stop a modern football wi pace and power.

I heard fans say that the 2nd goal was down to Kelvins poor kick out, (I wasn't at the game) but the snippet I saw was that the ball was kicked to the halfway line the ball was put into an area where we had 2 midfielders and one Leicester player and their powder puff attempt allowed the Leicester player to release Vardy ( not sure where our defence was?) who then had a free run at goal

kelvin was poor from the first 30 seconds.

The future of KD seems to be taking all the flack for a shocking team performance something the rest of the team will no doubt be very happy about:p

Indeed!

And there were far worse performances by Premiership goalkeepers yesterday.

Edited by sadoldgit

I was at the game, it was a terrible kick.

The people making the comparison between MLT and KD's loyalty to the club are morons. Le Tissier had top clubs after him throughout his time at Saints and was a hell of a lot more useful than Davis ever was. Sure, Davis dropped down a few leagues with us despite slight interest from other clubs. But, we were probably paying him more than we ever paid MLT even when we were in League One.

Davis has had a cushy job as back-up 'keeper/dressing room joker for years now and should have had the decency to retire after our first season up in the Premier League when his lack of ability to perform at the top level shone through.

Indeed!

And there were far worse performances by Premiership goalkeepers yesterday.

No there weren't. I doubt there were worse performances in the Football League either, though I have not watched any of those games. Really don't know what people were watching who claim that he was anything other than dire. His kicking was awful, he was flapping at crosses (first 20 seconds gave us a taster of what was to come), his punches were weak if he managed to connect at all, he was not confident, he did not come for the ball (mix up between Fonte and VvD was due to this). He made one or two bog standard saves, but even with these your heart was in your mouth. I have to say it was one of the wort goalkeeping displays ever (I know if didn't have a complete howler like Bart or Boruc).

we have to stop this notion that he is a great servant and so every thing is OK. He is not good enough (and to be honest has not been for 2 or 3 years). Of course its not his fault he had to play, but to have this standard of keeper as current 2nd choice is shocking for a top half PL team. At least Gazza would not have cost us the game because of his kicks (though he may have cost us elsewhere).

Sorry Kelvin, nice bloke that I'm sure you are. Truth is sometimes unpalatable.

No there weren't. I doubt there were worse performances in the Football League either, though I have not watched any of those games. Really don't know what people were watching who claim that he was anything other than dire. His kicking was awful, he was flapping at crosses (first 20 seconds gave us a taster of what was to come), his punches were weak if he managed to connect at all, he was not confident, he did not come for the ball (mix up between Fonte and VvD was due to this). He made one or two bog standard saves, but even with these your heart was in your mouth. I have to say it was one of the wort goalkeeping displays ever (I know if didn't have a complete howler like Bart or Boruc).

we have to stop this notion that he is a great servant and so every thing is OK. He is not good enough (and to be honest has not been for 2 or 3 years). Of course its not his fault he had to play, but to have this standard of keeper as current 2nd choice is shocking for a top half PL team. At least Gazza would not have cost us the game because of his kicks (though he may have cost us elsewhere).

This, sadly, is the truth. PL is not a place for sentiment and Saints have already shown more than enough towards him anyway and hopefully will find an Academy coaching role for him if he wants it.

Its kind of cruel seeing the reputation of a great servant diminished through being asked to do a job he cannot do.

No outfield player from the promotion sides who proved themselves not up to the PL was given a new three year deal (most were correctly discarded once clearly not up to this level).

No young outfield player has been given a long term deal after being as big a first team flop as Gazza.

We have a blindspot with keepers.

Did you see the Villa keeper? I am not saying that Kelvin isn't past his sell by date but he HAS been a good player for us over the years and we didn't drop a point yesterday because of our goalkeeper.

Did you see the Villa keeper? I am not saying that Kelvin isn't past his sell by date but he HAS been a good player for us over the years and we didn't drop a point yesterday because of our goalkeeper.

He was a big factor in allowing them back in, he was flapping all game. RKs tactics & Substitutions also contributed, as did some tired legs (I wouldn't under estimate the travelling undertaken by some platers), but presence & performance must have transferred to the others.

We dropped 2 points yesterday because of the keeper. Whether another PL relegation fodder team has a gk who played crap yesterday is totally irrelevant. Villa also have skate Sherwood as manager, not relevant, if you honestly believe that Kelv was OK then you are welcome to your opinion.

We dropped 2 points yesterday because of the keeper. Whether another PL relegation fodder team has a gk who played crap yesterday is totally irrelevant. Villa also have skate Sherwood as manager, not relevant, if you honestly believe that Kelv was OK then you are welcome to your opinion.

villa's signings being used as a benchmark is insulting

villa's signings being used as a benchmark is insulting

True. Its a bit like saying Jesse Joronen would be better because he scored yesterday. Actually on reflection he would, it demonstrates that even a League Two keeper can kick almost twice as far as Uncle Kelv. Even Ronald admitted that Kelv's kick cost us the second goal [and thus 2 points].

• 5 months later...
Think his contract is up at the end of this season. Would be suprised if they offered him another one, but then again they offered him a decent deal before at a suprising point after he has been dropped a few times, so not beyond the realms of possibility as a third keeper.

Surely though, this season is the last of his playing days, but would be stupid not to try and retain him in some capacity, probably within the Academy at this stage to develop experience.

Thoughts on what would be a good next step for the veteran stopperlad?

Seriously, he's survived here for the last few years by being a nice bloke, but now is the time to let him go. He's the last person I'd want coaching goalkeeepers at the club. Surely, we're a bit more professional than that.

Just been reading his book and at the back there is a section for people to put a few tributes. Adam Blackmore (radio solent) has put "the decision by the club to not extend his contract is one that can be debated, but rather than take that and react badly to it, he has shown his maturity by discussing the possibility of other roles within in the club"

I would be very happy if we can keep kelvin here to be honest

Just been reading his book and at the back there is a section for people to put a few tributes. Adam Blackmore (radio solent) has put "the decision by the club to not extend his contract is one that can be debated, but rather than take that and react badly to it, he has shown his maturity by discussing the possibility of other roles within in the club"

I would be very happy if we can keep kelvin here to be honest

He must know his time as a player is up. He just isn't at the level that is needed so would be suprised if he wasn't expecting it.

He must know his time as a player is up. He just isn't at the level that is needed so would be suprised if he wasn't expecting it.

Agreed but reading a few posts on this thread a few Saints fans are quick to knock Kelvin. I think it's easy to forget the importance of Kelv in the side and in the dressing room over the years. Not our greatest player but an important player In a great period for the club.

Seriously, he's survived here for the last few years by being a nice bloke, but now is the time to let him go. He's the last person I'd want coaching goalkeeepers at the club. Surely, we're a bit more professional than that.

We are professional enough to judge him on his ability as a coach not what a minority of fans think of him as a player in the last couple of years of his contract if that helps reassure you.

Much as I love our Kelv, Nordic Saint has nailed it.

Can somebody tell me how Dave Watson is seen as such a fantastic keeping coach. Forster came from Celtic after playing some superb games in the League and CL, I have not seen Gazza improve and Stek also. KD was at the end of his career. I watched DW on the pitch and as far as I could see was that he spent more time flicking his dyed hair out of his eyes rather than actually coach, not a speck of mud on his kit at all.

If KD follows hm I suspect he has the hardened resolve and dedication to our club to make any keeper work hard to improve.

It was interesting watching Carragher talking about how Liverpool miss the old pros at the club instilling the pride and what the club means to new players.

My understanding is that KD does that now and the link is not lost

• 2 months later...

The fact is, I have no idea how good KD is as a GK coach and neither do you. No disrespect but you see the games on TV and I only go 2-3 times a season now. I'm happy for those at the club to be the judge on this, not us Internet experts

in what way ?

I think he perhaps means SKD brought a great team spirit and ethic to the changing room that, with Sammy Lee, will be hard to replace. And from all I've seen and heard, I would tend to agree...SKD has been a great servant to the club and deserves some form of ambassadorial role at the very least.

Can somebody tell me how Dave Watson is seen as such a fantastic keeping coach. Forster came from Celtic after playing some superb games in the League and CL, I have not seen Gazza improve and Stek also. KD was at the end of his career. I watched DW on the pitch and as far as I could see was that he spent more time flicking his dyed hair out of his eyes rather than actually coach, not a speck of mud on his kit at all.

If KD follows hm I suspect he has the hardened resolve and dedication to our club to make any keeper work hard to improve.

It was interesting watching Carragher talking about how Liverpool miss the old pros at the club instilling the pride and what the club means to new players.

My understanding is that KD does that now and the link is not lost

You're absolutely right....DW is terrible. That's why the England setup rate him so highly and he is Englands goalkeeper coach.

Unbelievable......................

You're absolutely right....DW is terrible. That's why the England setup rate him so highly and he is Englands goalkeeper coach.

Unbelievable......................

Ummmm in this guys defence I'm not absolutely sure that England performed that well so your justification doesn't hold too much water ...... Pipe down !!!

During post Euro 2016 analysis Watkins was said to be strongly involved in setting up England's set pieces. I can't say that they were were were too impressive. I shall be looking to see if he will be involved with England when a new manager is chosen.

Kelvin can't be any worse if he's in charge to training our goalkeepers

in what way ?

good question !.......

What was Sammy Lee's contribution to the Saints squad? . Koeman had his own trainer-team and frequently admitted that he found it difficult to understand " Scouse."

Kelvin Davis is the longest serving person (on the footballing side) in the entire club. 10 years plus, and he is well-respected by many and part of the SMS set-up.

As the club have said they are looking for a "new role" for KD....I expect it to be somewhat more than being Matchday host in the Executive boxes.

good question !.......

What was Sammy Lee's contribution to the Saints squad? . Koeman had his own trainer-team and frequently admitted that he found it difficult to understand " Scouse."

Kelvin Davis is the longest serving person (on the footballing side) in the entire club. 10 years plus, and he is well-respected by many and part of the SMS set-up.

As the club have said they are looking for a "new role" for KD....I expect it to be somewhat more than being Matchday host in the Executive boxes.

Well you have answered my question with your first question - what was Sammy's contribution ?

I think with all his experience he was much much more than the bib and cone man, he has managed, albeit poorly, and coached at the top level, he was on the England staff at one point (under Sven?) and I cannot see that his knowledge and experience were wasted for two years.

My point is that SKD will have nowhere near the qualities that Lee has. A good addition to the staff - of course, but as a replacement like for like, no way.

Well you have answered my question with your first question - what was Sammy's contribution ?

I think with all his experience he was much much more than the bib and cone man, he has managed, albeit poorly, and coached at the top level, he was on the England staff at one point (under Sven?) and I cannot see that his knowledge and experience were wasted for two years.

My point is that SKD will have nowhere near the qualities that Lee has. A good addition to the staff - of course, but as a replacement like for like, no way.

I wasn't suggesting that Sammy didn't make a good contribution, but TBF....there are a lot of Brits. who might find it hard to understand " Scouse ".

I think he got a poor deal from the Koeman's - who only joked about his dialect every time they were asked about him. Perhaps it was hard for them to work with him.?

There comes a time when everyone moves on to other things....but being on the Saints staff for the last couple of years will still look good on his CV, and he may pick up a job as assistant to someone..or even to manage a lower league outfit.

I did like Sammy, but I think many people would admit that KD's contribution to the club outweighs Sammy's in a number of ways.

As for coaching (if that's what KD will become)....How does any of us know how well he may / may not do? He was (it seems) a big influence in the Saints dressing room.

MY COMMENT : Being a good manager /coach isn't always about them having won things at the highest level....and quite a number of " successful " managers played at a much humbler level, and perhaps didn't win a lot as a player.....but they may have the nous ...to become a good coach.