Cuco Martina

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

Shame. Another of the team that went on that great run gone. Thought he was pretty decent and really don't rate Cedric but if Puel wasn't going to give him a chance then it's no real loss.

As FF says above, how many signings are we planning to make in the last week?! Poor transfer planning really. They can't have been planning all this overhaul of the squad happening in the final week of the window can they?

Considering that we have Pied and Yan Valery as back up, Cuco's transfer does make sense on a few levels.

Been very impressed with Valery.

Real nice guy too, apparently. Jeez we must have quite a few replacements lined up if he Jay Rod and Fonte are leaving

Shame. Another of the team that went on that great run gone. Thought he was pretty decent and really don't rate Cedric but if Puel wasn't going to give him a chance then it's no real loss.

As FF says above, how many signings are we planning to make in the last week?! Poor transfer planning really. They can't have been planning all this overhaul of the squad happening in the final week of the window can they?

We already have signed Martina's replacement... Jeremy Pied. Pied signing knocked Martina down to 3rd choice and you don't need 3 senior right backs in your squad. If you had three senior players for every position you'd have a squad of thirty three! We also have Yan Valery coming through who looks very promising.

This can't be a surprise.

It is our business model really. We win the net spend league

Next season 2 or 3 from VvD, Bertrand, Forster, Hojbjerg, fonte, Long will probably be sold

We already have signed Martina's replacement... Jeremy Pied. Pied signing knocked Martina down to 3rd choice and you don't need 3 senior right backs in your squad. If you had three senior players for every position you'd have a squad of thirty three! We also have Yan Valery coming through who looks very promising.

Mine was more a general comment re having to bring in a JRod replacement, potentially a Fonte replacement as well as the players we already needed up top as we are short as it stands. Wrong thread though I realise.

This can't be a surprise.

It is our business model really. We win the net spend league

Next season 2 or 3 from VvD, Bertrand, Forster, Hojbjerg, Long will probably be sold

If only you got a medal for winning the net spend league? You're right about next summer, what an incredibly depressing thought.

Martina could also play centre half

Next season 2 or 3 from VvD, Bertrand, Forster, Hojbjerg, fonte, Long will probably be sold

I've bookmarked this post for next summer as like you I almost 100% expect that this will happen (but I'd take Hojbjerg out of that list).

With VvD, Bertrand and Forster it's just a matter of time as at some point they WILL be sold, I think we may keep Long for a while yet.

Everything about Fonte is doing my head in though, how much of it is media bulls**t ? I can see him doing a Lambert though, and going back to Portugal for the final years of his career.

As Duncan says Martina also plays centre half. If Fonte is leaving he would have expected been a good player to still have around. Really gutted that Martina is leaving. Really want to wish him all the best for the future.

I've bookmarked this post for next summer as like you I almost 100% expect that this will happen (but I'd take Hojbjerg out of that list).

With VvD, Bertrand and Forster it's just a matter of time as at some point they WILL be sold, I think we may keep Long for a while yet.

Everything about Fonte is doing my head in though, how much of it is media bulls**t ? I can see him doing a Lambert though, and going back to Portugal for the final years of his career.

He`s premature bedwetter...loves a bit of doom forecasting.....

Strange one this,he didn't seem figure in Koemans plans while here, but is linked with joining him at Everton.

We need to be strengthening our squad,if we do so why do we leave it so late? Were all over the place at the moment and its not looking good.

Dreadful transfer planning. Why is Les is keen to see the better Saints players leave before signing improvements? And it's short term if it is based on Puel's experimental tactics.

Shame. Cuco is a lively wide defender who likes to get forward and create chances that lead to goals. Isn't that just what we need now? I am finding it depressing that Puel and Les, in this instance, seem to be negating the lively entertaining Saints style that I enjoy watching. Please prove me wrong on Saturday.

Everton boss Ronald Koeman is keen to be reunited with Southampton right back Cuco Martina according to Sky sources.

We are are told the fee involved is £2.5m as Koeman looks to strengthen his defensive options at Goodison Park and provide cover for Seamus Coleman.

This is quite a coup for a club the size of Everton. Their fans must be extremely satisfied with what it is a clear statement of intent here.

Sadly, in contrast to what is a clear statement of lack of intent here. Who's satisfied with that?

Sadly, in contrast to what is a clear statement of lack of intent here. Who's satisfied with that?

For real? Keeping Cuco Martina is a statement of intent? As good a signing as Cuco was for a flat mil, Cedric clearly has more potential. Why are you placing so much emphasis on our second choice rightback?

Ha Ha, so of all the posturing and all the players they were going to steal from us, they are going to get Martina.

Very funny, be good if we sign Boufal as well, one of the best young attacking talents in Europe for about £5 million less than they signed Bolasie.

I seriously do not get all the Cedric hate, the guy is quality and I'm pretty sure he'll only get better this year. He was still performing well and still getting stuck in last year even though two different people had taken chunks out of his head and IMO it was a bizarre decision to drop him. Martina did ok, but he's not Cedric level and we have Pied now.

Ha Ha, so of all the posturing and all the players they were going to steal from us, they are going to get Martina.

Very funny, be good if we sign Boufal as well, one of the best young attacking talents in Europe for about £5 million less than they signed Bolasie.

I seriously do not get all the Cedric hate, the guy is quality and I'm pretty sure he'll only get better this year. He was still performing well and still getting stuck in last year even though two different people had taken chunks out of his head and IMO it was a bizarre decision to drop him. Martina did ok, but he's not Cedric level and we have Pied now.

You seem to be missing the point of this type of thread. i.e.. anyone who is here is cr@p, anyone who has gone or is rumoured to be going is a world beater and a huge loss to us !

It's all down to Les who apparently hasn't got a clue and is only interested in boosting Kat's bank balance !

Please try to keep up :)

In my eyes Cuco looked slightly awkward and dare I say it uncomfortable on the ball. He may have been perfectly in control and confident, but for me he never gave that impression. Defensively he didn't seem to do too much wrong though and that is after all what he's employed for, but fullbacks have to do more than hold an end up these days.

Overall he was OK, but not exactly inspiring and far from the best we can do. It's the richest league in the world. We shouldn't need to accept `OK'. If they are not a great prospect or top notch already why are they at the club?

Cuco was Koeman's " Jeremy Pied". The type of player that a new manager knows CDAJFU ...when needed. When he was needed last season - he did OK.

Some of those people who thought he was a " strange buy " were pleasantly surprised, and few will forget his Goal of the Season - even if it was a mis-hit fluke of a shot.

Better he can be appreciated by the Koeman's, than he stays at SMS and becomes " another Yoshida ". (always available, but always on the bench.)

Cuco was Koeman's " Jeremy Pied". The type of player that a new manager knows CDAJFU ...when needed. When he was needed last season - he did OK.

Some of those people who thought he was a " strange buy " were pleasantly surprised, and few will forget his Goal of the Season - even if it was a mis-hit fluke of a shot.

Better he can be appreciated by the Koeman's, than he stays at SMS and becomes " another Yoshida ". (always available, but always on the bench.)

A mis-hit? Christ I know this forum likes to down play folks who are leaving but he hit that so sweetly it was unsaveable!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb1dsyAQMNk

But yeah he mis-hit it *shakes head*

I know what you mean pal - he was aiming for the corner flag.