Cuco Martina

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

• 7 months later...
Think he's underrated tbh. Was a lot better than Cedric has ever been for us during the second half of last season.

He really wasn't, if anything it is the opposite with a lot of Saints fans. Martina is a very limited player technically and was living off the Arsenal goal. Cedric is significantly better and Pied's arrival moved Martina down to 3rd in the pecking order. Plus 17 year old Yan Valery looks very promising in the under 23 squad.

He really wasn't, if anything it is the opposite with a lot of Saints fans. Martina is a very limited player technically and was living off the Arsenal goal. Cedric is significantly better and Pied's arrival moved Martina down to 3rd in the pecking order. Plus 17 year old Yan Valery looks very promising in the under 23 squad.

Hmmm, I think Cedric is the better player but I wouldn't say he's shown that he's significantly better in his time here.

For a year left on his contract and for the sake of not selling him to Everton is keep him around. He's never really let us down and we have a hefty amount of games this year. IMO he never showed up as being significantly worse than Cedric and hey if you're going to "live off a goal" make it one like that Arsenal goal!

Martina has definitely been better than Cedric for us. Scary ambition from Everton though.

He really hasn't. Apart from his wonder goal, he is/was very poor as a defender, really looked completely out of his depth. Whenever he played he looked like he didn't have much of a clue what to do and had to be "coached" by Jose or Virgil depending on who was playing alongside. Usually meant he was pushed up almost in to midfield, left us playing 3 at the back at times, even when we were "supposed" to be playing 4 at the back. Don't get me wrong, I liked him, nice guy, always seemed happy, but was not up to the standards required of the PL. He was an Erwin signing and clearly Erwin has a soft spot for him and would like him at Everton. Good luck to him.

personally i think ceric is a bit shyte.

He's a very good player and one of the fastest in our squad. But, he is tiny and oppostion managers have learned you can beat him by putting high crossfield balls over to his wing. He was also beaten by one in the Euros, which led to a goal. It's a concern that a few of the players we are being linked with now are also very small.

He really hasn't. Apart from his wonder goal, he is/was very poor as a defender, really looked completely out of his depth. Whenever he played he looked like he didn't have much of a clue what to do and had to be "coached" by Jose or Virgil depending on who was playing alongside. Usually meant he was pushed up almost in to midfield, left us playing 3 at the back at times, even when we were "supposed" to be playing 4 at the back. Don't get me wrong, I liked him, nice guy, always seemed happy, but was not up to the standards required of the PL. He was an Erwin signing and clearly Erwin has a soft spot for him and would like him at Everton. Good luck to him.

Completely agree. It seems like most people on this forum watch a completely different game to me.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Agree with all of that but yet he's been better than Cedric. Cedric is good enough going forward, although he's yet to actually prove it, but you can see the talent is there however defensively he's just as all over the place as Martina and is exposed much easier. Dont think despite the hype he was that good in the Euro's either. He's got the ability but I've yet to see him have a good game.

Absolute rubbish, I don't even take the Arsenal goal into consideration. He was solid towards the end and more effective going forward...linked up extremely well with Tadic as well for at least two goals, with perfectly weighted clipped balls into the channel for Tadic to cut them back (Spurs away and one other...City at home for Longs goal?).

Cedric hasn't shown himself to be any better, let alone done anything "significantly" better.

Martina played in our 4-0 Arsenal, 3-2 Liverpool, 4-2 City, 2-1 away win vs Spurs, and also other great wins.

Defensively he was pretty average to poor, thought he was decent attacking wise though.

I actually think he did do a job for us and if Cedric hadn't won the Euros then Martina wouldn't have been frozen the way he has.

Clearly a case of Puel favouring his countryman with Pied.

Unfortunately that was scripted!

I was lucky enough to meet Cuco and cannot speak highly enough of him as a person. He's not your usual egotistical footballer, not many of our guys are (most have left now). He talked about training, saying mane, long and VVD were nightmares to play against and were the fastest players at the club over 100m, after him! He absolutely loves playing for his country and said the locations of most of their games are unreal paradise settings but very hot to play football in. Of course we talked a little about his goal... It was his favourite moment in football and talked about never forgetting how all of the fans stood up and clapped him when he took a throw in just after he had scored. He's a big fan of basketball (him and tadic are basically pros) breakdancing and fifa (I asked him if he would try to recreate the goal at home and shoot every time the ball was 35 yards out) he was literally in stitches for most of our conversation (a few red wines were had). He also said that most of the plays of his goal on youtube were him! I'll be sad to see him go. Football needs more Martinas and i hope he's replaced in our dressing room.

Nice story.

He does come across as a well grounded lad, just keeps his head down and has done/does a job for us.

With one year left on his contract he may be surplus to requirements, as I have a suspicion before the season ends we could see the rise and rise of Yan Valery.

Unfortunately that was scripted!

I was lucky enough to meet Cuco and cannot speak highly enough of him as a person. He's not your usual egotistical footballer, not many of our guys are (most have left now). He talked about training, saying mane, long and VVD were nightmares to play against and were the fastest players at the club over 100m, after him! He absolutely loves playing for his country and said the locations of most of their games are unreal paradise settings but very hot to play football in. Of course we talked a little about his goal... It was his favourite moment in football and talked about never forgetting how all of the fans stood up and clapped him when he took a throw in just after he had scored. He's a big fan of basketball (him and tadic are basically pros) breakdancing and fifa (I asked him if he would try to recreate the goal at home and shoot every time the ball was 35 yards out) he was literally in stitches for most of our conversation (a few red wines were had). He also said that most of the plays of his goal on youtube were him! I'll be sad to see him go. Football needs more Martinas and i hope he's replaced in our dressing room.

Nice to read. I like him and would be sorry to lose him. He plays football with a smile, metaphorically at least.

Bit of shame for him to go as he is one of those players you can't help but like. Personally I thought he offered more than Cedric especially bombing down the wing, and more often than not pinging in a good cross first time rather than putting on the brakes, then fanny about trying to cut in then passing it backwards. Plus at 28 still not up himself and willing to take instruction from VVD.

However on brief showing Pied does look a good player with vision, and if there is a nipper coming through the ranks in that position it does un block the pathway.

Just as many of us who were there for Chris Bairds Exocet from outside the box, that strike v Arsenal on Boxing Day out of nothing will live long in our memories.

Shame. Another of the team that went on that great run gone. Thought he was pretty decent and really don't rate Cedric but if Puel wasn't going to give him a chance then it's no real loss.

As FF says above, how many signings are we planning to make in the last week?! Poor transfer planning really. They can't have been planning all this overhaul of the squad happening in the final week of the window can they?