Arsenal vs. Saints build up thread

Dark Munster

Interesting that we've gone back to the 4231 - I guess Arsenal will have been studying our most recent games and the new shape, and now we're going back to the one we stuffed them with in December. Clasie on the bench worries me, I think we'd be much better off dealing with Sanchez and Ozil with him in place of JWP or Romeu. Lack of Austin is worrying for obvious reasons, especially as Koeman said he may be in the starting line up - I can only assume he's got an injury.

The good news with the Arsenal line up is that Coquelin isn't starting; the bad news is that neither is Mertesacker.

Yep. I fear that is too much unnecessary tinkering from Koeman there. Clasie had arguably his best game in a Saints shirt last time out, and Targett is playing very well. Should have kept the same players in the same system IMO.

probably thought neither could cope with midweek then Saturday fixture. Arguably we'd rather have them 100% for Saturday rather than 85%.

Yep. I fear that is too much unnecessary tinkering from Koeman there. Clasie had arguably his best game in a Saints shirt last time out, and Targett is playing very well. Should have kept the same players in the same system IMO.

Imagine how confused Wenger will be right now though... :)

Four thoughts:

1) 4-0 was achieved with back four

2) They will have been expecting a back five. This may be in part an attempt to surprise

3) Romeo/Wanyama/JWP is powerful midfield. Clasie will add energy last 20 mins.

4) Bummed re Austin. But pretty cool to have Pelle avail on bench

probably thought neither could cope with midweek then Saturday fixture. Arguably we'd rather have them 100% for Saturday rather than 85%.

They have just had 10 days off. If professional players cant play two in games in 14 days or so, then I worry about our training methods and our recruitment.

Not a chance on here mate, nothing like a good write off become a ball is kicked.... Tis the SWF way

understand your comment but that would be boring. everything is easy in hindsight and its differences in opinion that lead to good debates.

This is a much harder game than the home one. We are struggling to get in behind, bit worried about Romau who seems a bit off the pace at times. Mane is not at his best and has given away possession early a few times. Tadic looks keen and is working hard. We just need to go in at HT without conceding and then catch them on the break.