Chelsea Build-Up Thread

St Chalet

See we have Martin Atkinson on the whistle for this one.

Seems a bit better than the rest, been doing well in the CL games I have seen him officiate, doesn't appear to get conned by the rolling about just been shot by a sniper in the floodlights that goes on in the Eurpoean games.

According to,Wikipedia he is prone to match changing errors but we'll have to wait and see. At least it's not Clattenberg or 'he's not our' Friend.

On the Shed, Chelsea supporters are mainly expecting this match to be a draw; one even thinks we shall win and a couple Chelsea will win. They are fearful of our form and Chelsea's inability to find real momentum in the League. In comparison, we on this forum are very optimistic. Let's hope we're right!

Sorry to say that it is at this point usually when Saints start to choke so this will be one of the toughest fixtures we'll have all season. Form of both teams is very good but I think the break will work against us and we'll lose this ... 1-3. It'll be a shame for Forster not to equal the all-time record for clean-sheets, but Chelski look like they have re-found the key to unlocking defences. If we give away silly free-kicks within striking distance expect trouble too. If we draw I think it'll be a good result - a win of any kind will be exceptional under the circumstances.

Sorry to say that it is at this point usually when Saints start to choke so this will be one of the toughest fixtures we'll have all season. Form of both teams is very good but I think the break will work against us and we'll lose this ... 1-3. It'll be a shame for Forster not to equal the all-time record for clean-sheets, but Chelski look like they have re-found the key to unlocking defences. If we give away silly free-kicks within striking distance expect trouble too. If we draw I think it'll be a good result - a win of any kind will be exceptional under the circumstances.

Under the circumstances of having a fully fit rested squad and top of current form table?

Or the circumstance of playing a team with some half decent players? A common occurrence in the PL you might think.

He only has 35 minutes to break the record !

Mane needs to start this one. Has demolished them each time he has played against their slow CBs regardless whether its Terry, Cahill or Ivanovic.

Absolutely must pick player for this one, up with Long.

Austin and Pelle on the bench.

Totally agree. Though you know Pelle will start

It pains me to say this, but as turkishes ever-rising bar bill will attest I get these right more often than not. I'm not expecting any more than a point from this game, and I'd be elated to get even that. Hiddink is massively popular with the chelski players, that counts for a lot as they pretty much run the show. If we get a draw I'll be well chuffed. If we win the game I'll be delighted and amazed in equal measure. I know we're both on even runs of form, but my guess at this is 0-2.

It pains me to say this, but as turkishes ever-rising bar bill will attest I get these right more often than not. I'm not expecting any more than a point from this game, and I'd be elated to get even that. Hiddink is massively popular with the chelski players, that counts for a lot as they pretty much run the show. If we get a draw I'll be well chuffed. If we win the game I'll be delighted and amazed in equal measure. I know we're both on even runs of form, but my guess at this is 0-2.

I feel this too for some reason, despite our amazing form I just expect it to end, not continue :lol:

My gut instinct seems to be that this game will be like the 2013/14 home game- but hope I am wrong.

I'd like a win with a clean sheet and mane to score :) that would be perfection, even if its 1-0.

I bet you hazard, who has no league goals all season, will get one against us :(

Nah , we'll comfortably beat Chelsea go above United, 4 points off 4th us and the media will think we're genuine top 4 contenders!

Then we'll lose against Bompey and Sunderland haha

Nah , we'll comfortably beat Chelsea go above United, 4 points off 4th us and the media will think we're genuine top 4 contenders!

Then we'll lose against Bompey and Sunderland haha

So different from my younger days, when the only joy to be found on the day of a homegame against Chelsea was within the Xeroxed pages of 'The Beautiful South'.

2-1 to the mighty Saints (sorry FF)

--------------------------------Forster-------------------------------

Cedric--------------Fonte------Big Dijk------------Bertie

Davis-------------Classie-------Romeu-----------Targett

----------------------------Mane-------------------------------------

--------------------------------Austin------------------------------

Not sure the 352 is a great idea against Chelsea at the moment. Willian is their main man but he will run from deep. I'd go with a back 4 but use Davis and Targett to close the spaces outside the central midfielders.

Mane should play. He's our best attacker.

I want Austin to start. Pelle doesn't merit a start at the moment and Long is still too erratic to rely on as a starter game after game - he's also a cracking sub.

Long, Pelle, Tadic and JWP on the bench - great options!

So different from my younger days, when the only joy to be found on the day of a homegame against Chelsea was within the Xeroxed pages of 'The Beautiful South'.

2-1 to the mighty Saints (sorry FF)

Hah! You never read Junk Mail... an earlier and, I think, the first Saints fanzine..

I feel this too for some reason, despite our amazing form I just expect it to end, not continue :lol:

My gut instinct seems to be that this game will be like the 2013/14 home game- but hope I am wrong.

I'd like a win with a clean sheet and mane to score :) that would be perfection, even if its 1-0.

I bet you hazard, who has no league goals all season, will get one against us :(

Yes, hazard is due one and probably under a lot of pressure to get one. I'd go along with that, but hopefully we're both wrong.

Not sure the 352 is a great idea against Chelsea at the moment. Willian is their main man but he will run from deep. I'd go with a back 4 but use Davis and Targett to close the spaces outside the central midfielders.

I want Austin to start. Pelle doesn't merit a start at the moment and Long is still too erratic to rely on as a starter game after game - he's also a cracking sub.

Good line-up and bench...maybe Tadic to replace Targett if we go behind. If Mane doesn't start tonight he must be off somewhere in the Summer.

Going to be a big game setting the tone for the week. A win today should mean 7-9 points from.the three games and we'll probably be at least 5th, maybe top 4 or close.

Draw would be ok to keep the momentum going, but a loss and we could quickly slip back.

Just setting out now. Going to enjoy it.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Really? We all know what Mane is capable of but the fact is he hasn't scored since last October. I'm not sure on how many assists he has had in that time but I'm reckoning not many. Long is a our top scorer and has more end product than Mane right now and should be starting.

Good line-up and bench...maybe Tadic to replace Targett if we go behind. If Mane doesn't start tonight he must be off somewhere in the Summer.

err why? He well might be off in the summer though his prolonged goal drought has probably reduced his value somewhat but I don't see how not playing or playing today has any bearing on the summer transfers.

Of course. But you never actually give your own opinion which on a football forum is bizarre.

Who would you start with up front today? I would go Mane and Long.

I give my opinion when I choose, what part of that can't you grasp?

I chose to not post my team choice.

I choose to post my opinion when I want to

Are you clear with it now?

If you must keep asking questions about this, please do it by pm so the thread is OK for others

The win at Stamford Bridge was, in itself, a great result - especially as we came back from a goal down, but today's game against a "revived " Chelsea will be a good test of our new " clean sheet " defensive reputation.

A good result would put " our revival " in real perspective, and more pressure on the two Manchester clubs who can already see themselves in sight of European glory.

Had a dream last night we were 2-1 down at half time, first Chelsea goal was Fonte getting tackled in our own box! Hope this one doesn't come true.

...but what about the second half?....was it another Saints revival like at Stamford Bridge?

....If you don't know the final result..... that wasn't a dream .....it was a nightmare :scared: