Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club

Turkish

He scored some important goals. He scored some lovely goals. Apart from 2015/16, he didn't score a lot of goals.

He did bring other things to the team though: Commitment, unselfishness, work rate and intelligence to create space and chances for others. Attributes that were still getting him the nod from Ralph, right up to the end of his time here.

You'd not hang your survival hopes on his finishing alone. But always a good squad player. If he had more goals in his game, it would have been interesting to see how much higher he could have gone.

So long, Shane.

Last season when 25 thousand saints fans repeatedly sang Shane Long to the tune of 'Hey Jude' is one my favourite Saints memories. My son occasionally randomly starts singing it and he has no idea who the Beatles are. I actually think Shane was a good player under Koeman and when partnered with Danny Ings. Thanks Shane.

• Like 5

😭😭😭😭😭

I know he's crap now but I still love him. There's something about those players who aren't necessarily the most gifted but always put in a shift that I like, and he's certainly one of them.

I'm going to miss laughing at him being offside and randomly running into players. He was never the best but just had something endearing about him that people appreciated.

And that goal at Anfield. Legend status.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Hard to dislike a player who gave his everything every time he got a chance to play. Not the greatest finisher but will leave some of his finishes burned on my memory ...that goal in the 6-1 Villa game, the Liverpool winner, some great finishes..Thanks Shane - you gave your all - good luck for the future!

• Like 1

Perhaps not, but I wonder if down the line rather than 10 years it should be 8 years to qualify for a testimonial.

Thanks for the service Shane, I won't ever question his work rate on the pitch and whilst his output was lacking, on the face of it I think it has been £12m well spent. 

• Like 1

My final  memory of Long was in the last minute of the vital win against Arsenal - he gave everything and chased down their keeper to block a clearance which would have seen the ball in our half in injury time.

At a time of the season when Broja and several others had downed tools, Shane showed that even if you are short of world-class talent, giving 100% makes a difference.

He ran, he chased, he hassled, he fell over, and occasionally he scored - cheers Shane, all the best.

• Like 18

Loved having him. Had a few fantastic seasons under Koeman. Not the greatest footballer of all time, but deserves a huge amount of respect. Gave me probably my best moment as a saints fan. Best of luck in the future Shane, always will get a great reception. We’ve had better footballers who have been far worse than you. 

• Like 2

Not the guy to call on if you're one down and need a goal.  However, always thought he was a good player to bring on for the last 15 if you're one nil up.  Would run in behind and stretch teams, his pace would always cause problems. Wish him all the best for the future. 

• Like 1

Always felt like he gave 100% for the club, and because of that one of my favourite players for Saints.

That goal in the semi final against Liverpool will forever be one of my favourite moments watching Saints, I’ve never before or since let loose so completely with a celebration.

Not to mention the fastest Premier League goal in a time that’s unlikely to ever be beaten.

In his last 50 games Shane Long has only scored 3 more goals than I have for Southampton. Not sure if that means that he had been rubbish..or I have exceeded expectation. In my defence I’ve not received a penny from the club during that time.

Edited by wadesmith
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, wadesmith said:

In his last 50 games Shane Long has only scored 3 more goals than I have for Southampton. Not sure if that means that he had been rubbish..or I have exceeded expectation. In my defence I’ve not received a penny from the club during that time.

How are you at defending from corners? If you can do that, there's a striker spot for you. 🙂

• Haha 2

In his heyday Shane Long was one of those rare players who could light up a stadium with his surging runs and terrific finishes. When it was announced that he was coming to join Saints there was an understandable buzz about the place that initially was fully justified but as time passed his effectiveness and finishing prowess gradually diminished with the inevitable result of him becoming a bit part player.

Nevertheless he will be remembered more for the good times and as a decent and respectful human being with a big personality who never did anything to sully his own or the club's reputation. Better than a journeyman he has served the club well and I join many others who would like to thank him for his contribution to our success in the PL since promotion and wish him well for his future. Good luck Shane.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It's got to go to a new 'star' attacker or have it retired in my opinion.

7 is such an iconic number for us, not just in the past with MLT but more recently with Rickie too.

Let's not get carried away old chap. Nobody has died wearing No 7. 

Eric Day & Terry Paine wore that shirt with great distinction long before le Tissier or Ricky came along and inevitably there will be other far more illustrious names to follow in the years ahead.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

In his heyday Shane Long was one of those rare players who could light up a stadium with his surging runs and terrific finishes. When it was announced that he was coming to join Saints there was an understandable buzz about the place that initially was fully justified but as time passed his effectiveness and finishing prowess gradually diminished with the inevitable result of him becoming a bit part player.

Nevertheless he will be remembered more for the good times and as a decent and respectful human being with a big personality who never did anything to sully his own or the club's reputation. Better than a journeyman he has served the club well and I join many others who would like to thank him for his contribution to our success in the PL since promotion and wish him well for his future. Good luck Shane.

Well written and fully agree. 

12 hours ago, Micky said:

Not the guy to call on if you're one down and need a goal. 

Unless it's at Swansea in the FA Cup. He turned that game around for us from the bench.

Wish him all the best, has been a model professional with Saints, no disruption, gave 100% and seems like a genuinely decent chap that has left us with some very memorable moments. £12m well spent in my view.

• Like 3

My favourite Shane Long moment, Anfield away, scoring and celebrating right in front of us

My second favourite Shane Long moment v Chelsea it home when Mark Hughes was manager. A cross came in and Shane got a shot away from the tightest of angles that looped over their keeper and hit the bar in what looked an outrageous piece of skill. What actually happened was he’d miss hit the shot onto his standing leg which had spun up into the air and onto the bar

cant fault the guy for his effort and professionalism you need players like that at the club. Not the best player but an example to others. Will miss him. 

I think he would make a very good coach, utterly professional throughout his career. Has stayed fit. I can't remember him ever being out with a long-term injury. I imagine he would set a fine example to younger players. I agree, now is the right time to bid him farewell, but best wishes to him wherever he goes. 

3 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

I think he would make a very good coach, utterly professional throughout his career. Has stayed fit. I can't remember him ever being out with a long-term injury. I imagine he would set a fine example to younger players. I agree, now is the right time to bid him farewell, but best wishes to him wherever he goes. 

Was thinking the same. Hope he goes to Reading as he might be in with a chance of a coaching role when Ince is either found out, or has a fall out with the board, whichever comes first.

53 minutes ago, Badger said:

Was thinking the same. Hope he goes to Reading as he might be in with a chance of a coaching role when Ince is either found out, or has a fall out with the board, whichever comes first.

Yes indeed. Being from Berkshire, I used to go and watch him at Reading, so my feeling is, it would be a good 'fit' for him to return there and as you imply - I can't see Ince being there for too long. I think Reading have transfer limitations due to FFP rules - or something like that - so a free transfer would probably suit them as well I guess. 

Can’t help but have a lot of respect for Longy … put in a lot of effort and had some amazing results at times. Overall though his scoring record meant as a striker he was pretty ineffective and in the Prem that’s a luxury we cannot afford to have with our meagre resources. Good Shane and thanks for your commitment.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I follow Reading a bit as my daughter's step daughter is a fan 

But nothing changes much with Shane Long in today's win v Stoke in this sentence from the match report

Flint did make amends by nodding down a corner for Wilmot to turn home via a deflection off Yiadom, minutes after Shane Long wasted a great chance to double Reading's lead by firing Tom Holmes' cut-back over from six yards.

7 minutes ago, John B said:

I follow Reading a bit as my daughter's step daughter is a fan 

But nothing changes much with Shane Long in today's win v Stoke in this sentence from the match report

Flint did make amends by nodding down a corner for Wilmot to turn home via a deflection off Yiadom, minutes after Shane Long wasted a great chance to double Reading's lead by firing Tom Holmes' cut-back over from six yards.

Came at him fast after defender missed his clearance, he actually played well. A good striker at that level.

One of the reasons reading are doing so well. Joao is also a great player for them.

• Like 1