Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club

Turkish

3 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Is that way he is always offside getting into good positions?

Moving to good positions, right on the edge off offside, is helped by a team who can exploit someone who does it. Not that he'd manage it every time, but doddering team mates who want an extra touch or are trained to pass sideways won't have helped him. His finishing, once getting into an inside scoring position is another matter. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

Can't say I'm sorry to see him go because he isn't the future of this club. But he's a true professional who might not be the most gifted technically but never gave anything less than his best, and deserves respect.

Good luck wherever you go next Shane, and thanks for that Anfield memory.

• Like 16

Thanks for all the years Shane. Especially those years under Koeman where he was a key player for a period. 12.5 million in 2014 turned out to be a decent bit of business for us. Age has caught up with him the last few seasons and PL level became a stretch too far. Hope he finds a club in the Championship.

• Like 6

Praise first, thank the lucky stars he didn't get a new contract second.

Praise... despite being of limited talents he was a hard worker, quick and was a nightmare for defences to play against. Plus... he did score a few goals. Did he justify his price tag? For longevity and key goals, sure. Quickest goal and THAT Liverpool goal. 

I am glad we didn't give him a new contract (or he didn't sign it) as that frees up money for elsewhere and... we can do better now.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club

There's no questioning his character as a player and the effort he's put in on the pitch, or that he gave us one of our most prized memories at Anfield but seriously... thank f**k he's leaving. He's a bottom half Championship player at best and the soundbites around, "being a great lad in the dressing room," and, "a useful asset to bring on and see out a game," have worn through the underlay and into the floorboards.

• Like 1

I do wish other players had the same level of commitment/effort that he's shown us. 

Was it Everton last year where he chased down a ball in the last 30 seconds and turned round to hype up the crowd?

A player I'll always look back on fondly, but obviously also glad that his 60k~ a week is off the books.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Praise first, thank the lucky stars he didn't get a new contract second.

Praise... despite being of limited talents he was a hard worker, quick and was a nightmare for defences to play against. Plus... he did score a few goals. Did he justify his price tag? For longevity and key goals, sure. Quickest goal and THAT Liverpool goal. 

I am glad we didn't give him a new contract (or he didn't sign it) as that frees up money for elsewhere and... we can do better now.

I'm not convinced he was ever offered a new contract. A lot of people making assumptions based on a few words in the PL retained list.

Has been a good servant for us, wish him well

• Like 2

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm not convinced he was ever offered a new contract. A lot of people making assumptions based on a few words in the PL retained list.

Has been a good servant for us, wish him well

It's possible we said that as a favour to him, makes his position stronger when negotiating with other clubs.

Call me an old softie but I'm actually quite sad that Shane has left. He gave us one of our most memorable moments of all time, for which I salute him.... Cheers Shane.... you have a place in the Saints hall of fame....

Edited by trousers
  • Like 20
  • Sad 1

Don't have a bad word to say about Long, he's put in a great shift with us.

But the reality is that we need to move on now, we needed to move on a couple of years ago to be fair.

Thanks for the service Shane, but now we can move forward with players capable of performing at this level.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

There's no questioning his character as a player and the effort he's put in on the pitch, or that he gave us one of our most prized memories at Anfield but seriously... thank f**k he's leaving. He's a bottom half Championship player at best and the soundbites around, "being a great lad in the dressing room," and, "a useful asset to bring on and see out a game," have worn through the underlay and into the floorboards.

And yet still towards the end of last season i'd rather see him in the team than A Armstrong (really they're both terrible)

I was a fan.

Yes, he wasn't the most prolific, but he did a job. Must've been a real pain to play against. Loved his effort and professionalism. Came in with some important goals to.

All the best Saint Shane!

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I do wish other players had the same level of commitment/effort that he's shown us. 

Was it Everton last year where he chased down a ball in the last 30 seconds and turned round to hype up the crowd?

A player I'll always look back on fondly, but obviously also glad that his 60k~ a week is off the books.

He would never have been offered 60k pw for next season, half that if he was lucky….

I wish Shane all the best and thank him for some great moments for us, the top one being the goal at anfield which took us to Wembley :) fastest ever goal in PL history, the stunning strike against Aston Villa at home under Koeman in 14/15 and many more. Will miss his character and incredible work rate. A true Saint :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 3

I have always thought Shane Long was suspect from the time that Les Reed used him an example in an interview explaining how they used the black box to get value for money. That was a clear indication to me that they had believed their own hype a bit to much. Shane was at best a mediocre player in mediocre teams doing a decent job, but never going to set the world alight. To see that as value for money in a magical algorithm, makes you wonder if they asked anyone to use their own eyes to evaluate potential.

Should have probably moved on 3 years back, but hey good luck shane.

• Like 2

I have never rated him. He's simply not a very good striker. However, there were a couple of periods when we were on our knees and we turned to a more defensive approach with him running around a lot up front, and that approach helped us get out of our funk and turned our season around. Those two shirt periods showed the value of  a guy that had pace to burn and could turn horrible hoofed clearances into decent out balls. Pace is so important and reduces the reliance of skill.

I was at Anfield for the semi final, and it was without question one of the greatest nights in my football watching life. It was a great finish to a great move. That joy and relief will live in my memory forever. I hope we find a striker that can create a few more moments like that.

• Like 2