Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club

Turkish

• 4 months later...

I always feel a bit sad when I see the amount of stick that Shane Long gets on here. I know that he doesn't get the goals that everyone would like, but I don't think that there is a more honest, hard working player in the squad......never gives less than 100%. The sort of player that people used to like at this club. Well done on last night, Shane!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

I always feel a bit sad when I see the amount of stick that Shane Long gets on here. I know that he doesn't get the goals that everyone would like, but I don't think that there is a more honest, hard working player in the squad......never gives less than 100%. The sort of player that people used to like at this club. Well done on last night, Shane!!

Absolutely this. I've always liked Long as both a player and a person. Always a 100% player, which you cannot say about some of the other arse we had to put up with over the last few seasons.

He did well yesterday and was the perfect fit up there with us down to 10. As others have said, he's a great pro and puts in a shift, and for me he offered more yesterday than A Armstrong has all season. 

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Nice way for him to end his career if he goes back to Reading.

All-in-all, I think he's been a great player for us.  That quickest ever goal against Watford will take some beating!

... And Anfield in the League Cup semi final. What a moment!!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Cheers Shane for the 30 odd goals over 8 years.

Another decent sized salary freed up that was spent on an aging less effective player.

Go ahead and mock him. But he's like our 8th all time EPL goal scorer, and been a part of our most successful finishes in the league.

He's always been more than the amount of goals he has scored, and he has never caused a moments trouble.

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Go ahead and mock him. But he's like our 8th all time EPL goal scorer, and been a part of our most successful finishes in the league.

He's always been more than the amount of goals he has scored, and he has never caused a moments trouble.

Good luck to him at Reading, I genuinely wish him well if he goes there but this post just highlights our painfully low expectations recently. Being our 8th EPL top scorer is based on nothing other than the fact that he’s been here a long time. Over 1/3 of the 23 years we’ve been in the Premier League, in which time much better players have come and gone. He isn’t about more than goals either, he just runs around a lot. His touch is poor, he’s frequently offside and gives away possession.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Good luck to him at Reading, I genuinely wish him well if he goes there but this post just highlights our painfully low expectations recently. Being our 8th EPL top scorer is based on nothing other than the fact that he’s been here a long time. Over 1/3 of the 23 years we’ve been in the Premier League, in which time much better players have come and gone. He isn’t about more than goals either, he just runs around a lot. His touch is poor, he’s frequently offside and gives away possession.

Any chance you can edit that post in case someone from Reading is reading, don't want to put them off ;) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Any chance you can edit that post in case someone from Reading is reading, don't want to put them off ;) 

People in Reading know as much about Long as we do, don't think you need to worry. He scored more goals for them in less appearances than he ever has or will for us. Not sure he is good enough for Reading, he was not too brilliant at Boscombe last season in the same division. 

Absolute legend as far as I'm concerned for THAT goal at Anfield.

Not really bothered about his goalscoring record or whatever else happened in his career here because he gave me one of my best moments as a Saints fan. For that I will love him forever.

Have another watch, if you don't get goosebumps you aren't human.

• Like 19

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Absolute legend as far as I'm concerned for THAT goal at Anfield.

Not really bothered about his goalscoring record or whatever else happened in his career here because he gave me one of my best moments as a Saints fan. For that I will love him forever.

Have another watch, if you don't get goosebumps you aren't human.

This was (& still is) bloody brilliant!

Big fan of the goal against Villa, too.

• Like 7

His goal against Watford was one for the record books as well.

Generally a decent player for us over a long term and we got our £11m back no question. No, he doesn't really score goals (which is a massive blot on his copybook) but he was still part of some of our most successful periods as a club.

Certainly shouldn't be keeping him around anymore as he can't really offer anything nowadays, but I'd never discredit his commitment and contribution during his earlier years here.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

Good servant for the club, there isn't another player who plays at this level with his work rate and still to this day. Sadly, the ability is mostly gone now, but lets not forget the good he's done here and the goal against Everton tops off what has been a good spell here. The fastest goal in Premier League history against Watford, the goal against Liverpool to send us to Wembley, the goal against Aston Villa which was only overshadowed because Mane decided to score a hattrick in less than three minutes and the 10 goals in 2015-16, when we finished three points off the Champions League, one league goal behind our top scorers in Mane and Pelle and, finally, the Ings partnership in 2019-20. All that for £12m. We've spent a lot more on a lot worse in recent years and he should be a role model for many in that putting in the work can often make you better than those with more talent, but don't put in the effort (Charlie Austin).

A cult figure for match goers and if this is the end of his Saints career, then I wish him well at Reading, who are in their own struggles at the moment.

• Like 9

Worth mentioning Shane played a big part on Mane’s record hat trick too, at least one of the goals came from him not giving up a bit of a lost cause if I remember rightly.

I was very underwhelmed when he signed in that big intake but he’s been great, i’ve loved having him at our club, and wish him nothing but the best for the future. 

• Like 13

Shane Long has always put heart and soul into his game whilst at SMS.
However, in my opinion, he was overpriced at £12m in the first place (a couple of Hull City fans I know couldnt believe their club had received such a high price for a player they only thought of as average, at best)
For a striker his scoring record here has been very disappointing.
All that said I also wish him the very best for the future and hope the club can replace him with someone with more ability but with Shane's commitment

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

He’s the Shane Long, he’s the Shane Long, he’s the Shane Long
All day long, he’s the Shane Long! 

I really didn't want to like Wet Leg but damn it their tunes are catchy as hell. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

However, in my opinion, he was overpriced at £12m in the first place (a couple of Hull City fans I know couldnt believe their club had received such a high price for a player they only thought of as average, at best)

To be fair he only played 15 games for Hull. Is that too early to pass judgement on his ability ?

8 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

To be fair he only played 15 games for Hull. Is that too early to pass judgement on his ability ?

But I remember Steve Bruce who was manager at the time saying similar. In saying that, overall he was an "allright" player for us.

Let's not forget he won Player of the Season under Koeman so whilst he's never been a prolific goal scorer, he has still been an important player for us. THAT Anfield goal, the goal against Villa and the record breaker at Watford are the obvious highlights.

Well past it now and shouldn't be retained, but even this season he basically turned around that cup tie at Swansea. Not the most talented player we've ever had but has certainly made a contribution over the years. I wish him good luck at Reading or wherever else he ends up.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Let's not forget he won Player of the Season under Koeman so whilst he's never been a prolific goal scorer, he has still been an important player for us. THAT Anfield goal, the goal against Villa and the record breaker at Watford are the obvious highlights.

Well past it now and shouldn't be retained, but even this season he basically turned around that cup tie at Swansea. Not the most talented player we've ever had but has certainly made a contribution over the years. I wish him good luck at Reading or wherever else he ends up.

... work horse

Limited player who maximised his skills - in the Benali bracket. He did very well out of the club being one of the top earners, and gave us some good moments in return. In many ways he epitomises Southampton FC, some good moments but generally limited !. 

Shane Long is in my opinion a moneyball type signing, he does 1 undervalued task exceptionally, drawing fouls from defenders in their half which allows our team to reset and push up, this is especially helpful when we need an out ball.

I would love to know how many fouls against per mins on the pitch he has - it must be up there at the top in the EPL, he should become a coach at it when he retires.

He gives teams 3 things - pace, work rate and drawing fouls, he doesnt score much but then again a lot of our players don't either and cant match his other attributes.

Good luck amigo

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Shane Long is in my opinion a moneyball type signing, he does 1 undervalued task exceptionally, drawing fouls from defenders in their half which allows our team to reset and push up, this is especially helpful when we need an out ball.

I would love to know how many fouls against per mins on the pitch he has - it must be up there at the top in the EPL, he should become a coach at it when he retires.

He gives teams 3 things - pace, work rate and drawing fouls, he doesnt score much but then again a lot of our players don't either and cant match his other attributes.

Good luck amigo

Agree with this. He also has the best timed jump in world football. Unreal how many headers he wins against taller opponents.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Good luck amigo

Yeah that's a fair view, lots of attributes to help our game but that only works if there are better players around him (as we had when Mane/Tadic etc were about)

The prob with Long in recent seasons is that he's sort of been hung out to dry. The quality around the squad (attack specifically) has subsided enormously so work rate and 'running' no longer gets the plaudits as it's not equating to the wins. He's then put into the position to finish the few chances we do create and more often than not fluffs it, with no better quality to dig him out.

Not discrediting his contribution to us, but players like him for all their effort and commitment to the cause need better players around them to really be a success, otherwise it's all a bit pointless. You could argue that's probably why the likes of Armstrong haven't ever got going here.

• Like 3

I was often impressed at how well he sees the game. He's always thinking, looking to get into good positions, angling his run or looking to drag away opponents to create space. His high work rate means he does even more of this. If only his finishing had been better.

I'm also not convinced  some of RalphBall played to his strengths, although it did look as though even he didn't think he'd score sometimes, and may have needed more chances than we were likely to create.

21 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I was often impressed at how well he sees the game. He's always thinking, looking to get into good positions, angling his run or looking to drag away opponents to create space. His high work rate means he does even more of this. If only his finishing had been better.

I'm also not convinced  some of RalphBall played to his strengths, although it did look as though even he didn't think he'd score sometimes, and may have needed more chances than we were likely to create.

Is that way he is always offside getting into good positions?

Going back to that quickest ever goal, I'd be surprised if we ever see that beaten (same for Mane's hat-trick, where Longey played a crucial role in two of his strikes) as it was over 2 seconds faster than the one before it.  You're never going to get Premier League teams shooting straight from kick off, so the only way it gets beaten is for some calamitous own goal due to a misplaced pass to the keeper or something.

As Saints fans, we'll take any kudos that comes our way, so holding both these records is quite an achievement really! 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club