Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club

Turkish

And that sums up, perfectly, why you're an idiot.

lol, the usual response from people that can't decipher a proper response :lol:

I'm an idiot because I question the number one troll on here and his real agenda?

I'm an idiot because I think we paid too much for Shane Long?

or, I'm an idiot because I don't fall for this 'taking the club forward to the top four/Europe...' bull****?

But you just call me an idiot, I guess that's as many words as you can manage.

We didn't pay too much for shane long. We paid as much as it took to get him from a club that didn't want to sell him. You could equally argue that the dippers overpaid us for lallana, lovren and lambert, and man u overpaid us for clyne and schneiderlin. Long has been a huge part of these couple of seasons for saints, you don't get international players for a few grand and fifty quid a week.

He's a BLOODY nuisance! that absolutely no defender wants to face. The timing of his jumps for headers are outstanding. He us definitely not the best finisher in the league, but you can not doubt how much of an influence he is for the better of the team.

What Corky says, with an apt edit.

We didn't pay too much for shane long. We paid as much as it took to get him from a club that didn't want to sell him. You could equally argue that the dippers overpaid us for lallana, lovren and lambert, and man u overpaid us for clyne and schneiderlin. Long has been a huge part of these couple of seasons for saints, you don't get international players for a few grand and fifty quid a week.

as far as we know. we might have seth johnsoned the negotiations.

This.

Oh dear, how long did it take to come up with this?

Usual poor debating skills from the usual suspects, resorting to abuse and ridicule when they are unable to face the facts that someone has a different opinion, or insults their God, you couldn't make it up :lol:

I find this approach puzzling because whilst a players transfer fee is determined by a number of things and not just his ability, the idea that you detach a players transfer fee when determining his value or worth to a club doesn't make sense.

Using this approach we can't say that Osvaldo or Ramirez were bad buys because the fact they both cost £12m+ and just as much in wages doesn't matter. They go down as buys that didn't work out and have to be judged in the same manner as say a Juanmi at less than half the price (and likely wages).

The money this spends on players is important for two reasons: 1. The cost of a player (including wages) has to be justified against their performances on the pitch, because 2. The money we invest in a player means we can't invest that money in an alternative player or another part of the club to try and improve.

As for Shane Long, the one thing that puzzles me is that we purchased players for a very particular system (4-2-3-1) and he doesn't really fit that in any way so to spend £12m on a square peg for a round hole was confusing however when we play 4-4-1-1 or 3-5-2 we play to his strengths and he makes a far bigger contribution. His finishing still undermines a lot of his hard work but I suppose if he could finish to a higher level he wouldn't be a Saints player. I do like the over the top threat as much as I like his hustle and workrate. That said, I would be surprised if he is a starter next season if everyone is fit.

I agree you have to use the cost of a player to value his worth to the club, but that is for interests sake only. Football isn't judged on a points per pound basis its judged on absolute outcomes, you score more goals then them you get the points, the team with the highest points at the end wins the league, it isn't pro rated on the amount you spent.

Shane Long offers x amount and that doesn't change if he cost £8m, £10m or £12m, so as fans we should just be concerned about whether that x amount is good enough.

There is an opportunity cost of buying him, the Long overspend could have been added to the Clasie money and bought someone even better, but as there is no transfer cap the extra we spent on Long didn't really stop us spending more on Clasies position if we had wanted, after all the Long overspend was only £4-6m and in the grand scheme of things that is nothing. If we got him for £6m we could have bought another player for £6m but would that have got us more points, I doubt it, you can only play 11 players at one time.

as far as we know. we might have seth johnsoned the negotiations.

You're just assuming that £12million was our initial bid though. Which is an odd thing to do. Unless you're trying to twist the facts to suit an agenda, in which case it makes perfect sense.

Oh dear, how long did it take to come up with this?

Usual poor debating skills from the usual suspects, resorting to abuse and ridicule when they are unable to face the facts that someone has a different opinion, or insults their God, you couldn't make it up :lol:

This 'you couldn't make it up' is becoming a stock phrase of yours. You must stop reading Richard Littlejohn.

And you are quite obsessed with those who have insulted you but hey you post constant drivel expect to get slaughtered - to paraphrase Jamie Vardy.

This is the second daftest 'debate' of the season. Second to 'club to sell Long to reinvest'.

We paid what we paid. Shane Long has been exactly what we needed and his efforts this season have played a huge role in galvanising the team spirit and general effort, arguably helping keep us in the Premier League, which by some simple reckoning is worth more than the £12m we paid for him this season. Easy.

For the record I thought he was a perfect signing when we purchased him, and like others, recognised the cost reflected the market, not a comparison with how much we paid for Steve Moran!

He looked pretty naff for the first 3/4 months while he was mainly a sub butLong brings a lot to our game - pace, movement, great ability in the air and the fact he knows how to battle and win a freekick to take pressure off the team at vital times.

His finishing, as highlighted by others is by fair his weakest part of the game but again he would be a 30m + player if he could do that too.

A reason why I think its too early to write off Juanmi - he is/was highly rated in Spain but must be hard to impress with a lack of game time.

This 'you couldn't make it up' is becoming a stock phrase of yours. You must stop reading Richard Littlejohn.

And you are quite obsessed with those who have insulted you but hey you post constant drivel expect to get slaughtered - to paraphrase Jamie Vardy.

I wondered how long it would take the third stooge (or bellend ) to turn up, right on cue as usual :lol:

I am pretty sure that Man U didn't overpay us for Clyne. Liverpool on the other hand....

lol, the usual response from people that can't decipher a proper response :lol:

I'm an idiot because I question the number one troll on here and his real agenda?

I'm an idiot because I think we paid too much for Shane Long?

or, I'm an idiot because I don't fall for this 'taking the club forward to the top four/Europe...' bull****?

But you just call me an idiot, I guess that's as many words as you can manage.

Simply put, so you'll understand, you have always been, and in most likely hood remain, an idiot.

You rambles are those of a semi-literate imbecile with the cognitive processing power of a dwarf rabbit.

So many point out that you are an idiot because, well, you are.

Simply put, so you'll understand, you have always been, and in most likely hood remain, an idiot.

You rambles are those of a semi-literate imbecile with the cognitive processing power of a dwarf rabbit.

usual response then.

"Your" :mcinnes:

This is the second daftest 'debate' of the season. Second to 'club to sell Long to reinvest'.

We paid what we paid. Shane Long has been exactly what we needed and his efforts this season have played a huge role in galvanising the team spirit and general effort, arguably helping keep us in the Premier League, which by some simple reckoning is worth more than the £12m we paid for him this season. Easy.

For the record I thought he was a perfect signing when we purchased him, and like others, recognised the cost reflected the market, not a comparison with how much we paid for Steve Moran!

Agree totally. Wouldn't argue a word of that . At a time when we were without recognised strikers (through various reasons) HDAJFU ..

We didn't pay too much for shane long.

We paid as much as it took to get him from a club that didn't want to sell him.

You could equally argue that the dippers overpaid us for lallana, lovren and lambert, and man u overpaid us for clyne and schneiderlin.

Long has been a huge part of these couple of seasons for saints, you don't get international players for a few grand and fifty quid a week.

well ....reading back through this thread ....that's at least 5 of us who agree on that point.

Shane Long is not a striker in the accepted sense of the word, and it's unfair to compare him to others who are.

He got landed with the task because he was the only fit player in the club who could fill the role, at a time when we had major injury problems and loss of form by others.

Apart from one good season several years ago (at a lower level), he has seldom got to the 10 goal mark, but having said that ...a great many people seem to agree that he is doing AJFU in the way that few others have ever done.

He is an absolute torment to opposing defenders, and I'm surprised that a few more of them haven't been red-carded this season for the treatment they hand out to him.

The fact that he cost, what he cost.. two years ago may seem a bit excessive to some, but now that he has come into form, he's well worth the original investment.

Edited by david in sweden

well ....reading back through this thread ....that's at least 5 of us who agree on that point.

Shane Long is not a striker in the accepted sense of the word, and it's unfair to compare him to others who are.

He got landed with the task because he was the only fit player in the club who could fill the role, at a time when we had major injury problems and loss of form by others.

Apart from one good season several years ago (at a lower level), he has seldom got to the 10 goal mark, but having said that ...a great many people seem to agree that he is doing AJFU in the way that few others have ever done.

He is an absolute torment to opposing defenders, and I'm surprised that a few more of them haven't been red-carded this season for the treatment they hand out to him.

The fact that he cost, what he cost.. two years ago may seem a bit excessive to some, but now that he has come into form, he's well worth the original investment.

Agreed. Never thought he'd be a good buy but he's turned my opinion of him around.

OK, semi-literate? see above, 'likely hood', you really need to spell check.

You rambles?

well,

oh dear, you've done yourself no favours here.

Hopeless today. Couldn't control the ball and as per usual, struggled to so much as kick it with his left foot when a 20-yard pass to a man in space was all that was needed.

Its good that our try-hard British/Irish cloggers have cultured, talented continentals and athletic Africans to bail them out when serious talent and ability is needed. Great win and hopefully a chance for our fanbase to realise why it won't be Shane Long or Steven Davis that clubs in the Champions League are willing to bid £25 million for come the summer.

Hopeless today. Couldn't control the ball and as per usual, struggled to so much as kick it with his left foot when a 20-yard pass to a man in space was all that was needed.

Its good that our try-hard British/Irish cloggers have cultured, talented continentals and athletic Africans to bail them out when serious talent and ability is needed. Great win and hopefully a chance for our fanbase to realise why it won't be Shane Long or Steven Davis that clubs in the Champions League are willing to bid £25 million for come the summer.

Although set up Pelle's goal with nice touch.

Stfu. Poor today yes, but he has been excellent all season...he looked utterly shattered from early on. I don't think people realise just how much energy it takes sprinting at full pelt from one end of the pitch to the other and back again when attacking/chasing a counterattacking team.

I don't think people realise just how much energy it takes sprinting at full pelt

So the fact that our £12 million man couldn't pass the ball 20 yards to Pelle fifteen minutes into the match despite the fact that he was in acres of space and unchallenged in a 2-on-1 situation was because he was tired?

What about early in the second half at 0-2 when he picked the ball up (again, unchallenged) on the left wing and (again) couldn't kick the ball with his left foot, so instead, flicked it harmlessly straight to Sakho (the ball, barely getting off the ground, actually bouncing twice before it reached him) with the outside of his right boot?

I still remember earlier this season when Mane was berated for missing a 'sitter' after ghosting past three players and putting it narrowly wide against Newcastle away.

I compare that to the many times Long has miscontrolled the ball, tackled an opposition player in an attempt to recover it and conceded a throw in or free kick, and received nothing but praise and applause for his heart and commitment.

I dread to think how we're going to hold on to the likes of Shane Long in the summer when United, Spurs and City slam bids of £20Mn+ on the table for our star man.

Stfu. Poor today yes, but he has been excellent all season...he looked utterly shattered from early on. I don't think people realise just how much energy it takes sprinting at full pelt from one end of the pitch to the other and back again when attacking/chasing a counterattacking team.

Its a fine line between a player that undoubtedly gives his all in the pitch but actually not being effective. Whilst I think we did overpay for him (from a business point of view) he has stepped up during mid season and won us games whilst Pelle, Tadic and Mane have gone missing. Like many say, he better to have with you than against you.

So the fact that our £12 million man couldn't pass the ball 20 yards to Pelle fifteen minutes into the match despite the fact that he was in acres of space and unchallenged in a 2-on-1 situation was because he was tired?

What about early in the second half at 0-2 when he picked the ball up (again, unchallenged) on the left wing and (again) couldn't kick the ball with his left foot, so instead, flicked it harmlessly straight to Sakho (the ball, barely getting off the ground, actually bouncing twice before it reached him) with the outside of his right boot?

I still remember earlier this season when Mane was berated for missing a 'sitter' after ghosting past three players and putting it narrowly wide against Newcastle away.

I compare that to the many times Long has miscontrolled the ball, tackled an opposition player in an attempt to recover it and conceded a throw in or free kick, and received nothing but praise and applause for his heart and commitment.

I dread to think how we're going to hold on to the likes of Shane Long in the summer when United, Spurs and City slam bids of £20Mn+ on the table for our star man.

Bless. Does little Stan want some attention?

I thought he was decent yesterday despite being played out of position. Set up one and should have had a penalty.

We're going to need his pace away to leicester, so hope he's ok. Ideally he'll miss the internationals if he's got a knock.

Yeah not looking anywhere near as effective now Pelle is back in the team. Worked his socks off as he always does. But really he needed balls in behind or over the top of a not very good Liverpool defence yesterday for him to work with but we just kept banging balls into Pelle's chest first half.

• 3 weeks later...

Newcastle first half with Long second half (and Leicester game) without shows just how important he is to us now

We are a different team across the pitch with him playing given his enthusiasm pace the fact he runs back to close down hassle and make a nuisance of himself etc he seems currently to be a catalyst to the rest of the team who often look preictable and ponderous without him

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

• 1 year later...
Would you take £12m for Long - what we reportedly paid for him?

Yes. I like him and I can see why we signed him when we did. It was the "meltdown" summer and having a few players who knew the ropes in the English league and weren't afraid to put themselves about was important.

However, ability/attribute-wise he isn't suited to the direction we seem to want to go in on the field and is a squad player at best. We have too many forwards making up the numbers. I would consider any serious offer for Long, Rodriguez or Austin. The three of them are probably on something like £160k a week in aggregate and that's just too much for a club our size to commit to unproductive players.

I imagine we would be unlikely to get a serious offer for Austin due to concerns over fitness, so if next season's central striking options were Gabbi, Austin, Gallagher / Seager + a new signing I think that would be ok.

I actually really really like Schlong - I think we should play him and Gabbi together TBH

Schlong's runs off the ball into the channels are excellent and on the counter he is fantastic - unfortauntly we play slow ponderous posession football at the moment

'Would you take £12m for Long - what we reportedly paid for him?

You be mad not to, he's 30 and scored 3 League goals this season, 2 of them against relegation fodder.'

hasn't really had a run in the team or a start recently though so hard for him to score no?

has come on 22 times and only started 9 games?

He is never going to be a 20 goal a season striker but his all round work is benefical to the team IMO

• Lighthouse changed the title to Shane Long - Official: Leaves Club