Koeman to Everton?

Saint Charlie

The point is, it is not any good him seeing out his contract, if he won't sign an extension he has to go this summer!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

And Ron has been quoted as he will sit down after the last game and discuss his contract - I'll believe RK and the actual quotes - there isn't one quote that RK is interested in EFC. More like DeBoar is.

What's all the ******** being spouted? That nearly all nationals are leading with the same story?

They're all leading with the same story because today the biggest news is that Martinez has been sacked.

They have to find some speculation about the new manager and have all jumped on the same local paper story which put Koeman in the frame, but with no justification whatsoever.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

No but it just shows how adding 2 + 2 = 5

Any job that comes up in the Prem will see Koeman linked after the job he has done here for two years.

If they all choose to ignore his numerous repeated "i will be Southampton manager next season, of course" quotes thats up to them, its because it doesnt suit their agenda.

The only way he will leave this summer, in my opinion, is if the club get rid of him because he wont extend his deal beyond the end of next season. And i'm not convinced they would even do that unless their number 1 target for when RK does finally go is available this summer.

Danny Murphy pretty much says Koeman is leaving every time he has to comment on saints on MOTD.

Danny Murphy pretty much says Koeman is leaving every time he has to comment on saints on MOTD.

Oh well, cant argue with Danny Murphy, I'm sure he knows best ;)

Did Danny Murphy say Leicester would win the league, that Poch would sign an extension at Spurs, VVD would sign an extension at Saints and correctly predict the lottery numbers for last Saturday ?

It wouldn't be the end of the world if De Boer took over in the next month with a full pre-season, as opposed to keeping RK into his final year and him becoming a bit of a lame duck as we are battered by constant speculation as to a) where he is going next, and b) who's coming to us next. It could be a bit of a bloodless coup/perfect succession planning by Les if you will.

FWIW my preferred option would be RK to sign an improved contract, keep Mane and VW, buy a couple of starting level players (improvements on what we've got); if we did all that we could have genuine aspirations on the top-4.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out but De Boer is a pretty decent Plan B.

I can't help but think of what Guan 2.0 posted the other day about Ronald not being happy about a meeting with the board when things weren't going so well in the middle part of the season, and then how the club might be looking to go in a different direction followed by the tease that K Billy might know more.

Yep, Guan's statement did seem to be glossed over somewhat on here. It wouldn't surprise me if Les & Co (not to be confused with Legs & Co) are *not* unhappy with Koeman being linked to other clubs as it would make it easier for them to deal with the 'Koeman doesn't want to commit to the club beyond next season" scenario. It's better than the board having to "sack" Ron out of the blue this summer if he refuses to commit to a contract extension. IMO of course.

Blimey this has rapidly hit the Media crescendo of Strachan to Leeds all those years ago when he had us purring along and Leeds was a basket case.

Once again as a Saints fan of many years, you have that feeling akin to another chap cracking on to your girlfriend. But you feel powerless to do anything about it, in that the board regardless of which Saints era they are from just shrug their shoulders and capitulate seemingly meekly, instead of punching the bounder on his nose and sending him on his way with his tail between his legs.

It's a case of just let the story run its course, if he stays and even extends: excellent news. If he goes: ah well here we go again.

Oh for the stable years of Lawrie McMenemy.

Yep, Guan's statement did seem to be glossed over somewhat on here. It wouldn't surprise me if Les & Co (not to be confused with Legs & Co) are *not* unhappy with Koeman being linked to other clubs as it would make it easier for them to deal with the 'Koeman doesn't want to commit to the club beyond next season" scenario. It's better than the board having to "sack" Ron out of the blue this summer if he refuses to commit to a contract extension. IMO of course.

Depends also what the real ambition is and how much the Club are really going to put in to keep improving.

Will the money around in the PL lots of teams will spend big and eventually that tells. West Ham for example will probably not lose any of their best players (unless there is an unlikely about turn on Payet) and will probably spend near £50m.

If we sell Mane and Wanyama, will we spend much on top of what we get in for them? If not then realistically that will tell at some stage and Koeman may feel that it will get more difficult for him to keep doing well.

He will know that VVD aside the signings last summer havent really come off.

If Reed and the Club feel its an "easy way out" to lose Koeman to a PL side below us for the last two seasons at least then I think that is pretty disappointing. Arsenal, fair enough. But Everton wouldn't send out a good message to players & fans and others within the Club IMO.

Right now, Everton are hardly a step up from us.

Coupled with Koeman consistently stating that he is here for the three years he signed for, it would a very strange turnaround from him to jump ship to Everton this summer.

Stranger things have happened, but i feel he's looking for a bigger next step than Everton and would be prepared to wait for that. Barca being the obvious move and in another year's time, that one could well be available

Oh well, cant argue with Danny Murphy, I'm sure he knows best ;)

Did Danny Murphy say Leicester would win the league, that Poch would sign an extension at Spurs, VVD would sign an extension at Saints and correctly predict the lottery numbers for last Saturday ?

TBF I think Danny struggles with any team that aren't Liverpool...

Right now, Everton are hardly a step up from us.

Coupled with Koeman consistently stating that he is here for the three years he signed for, it would a very strange turnaround from him to jump ship to Everton this summer.

Stranger things have happened, but i feel he's looking for a bigger next step than Everton and would be prepared to wait for that. Barca being the obvious move and in another year's time, that one could well be available

My thoughts to. Koemans stock is high right now moving to the wrong club ( like Everton) could seriously **** up his ambitions later.

And Ron has been quoted as he will sit down after the last game and discuss his contract - I'll believe RK and the actual quotes - there isn't one quote that RK is interested in EFC. More like DeBoar is.

Interestingly Ron's agent is the same as De Boer's so the two favourites have the same representation.

Story was posted last night on the Liverpool Echo. They were told by an unnamed source. Obviously simply very coincidental that Liverpool need us to lose on Sunday to get Europe with out winning the europa league.

Doesn't smack of a destabilisation story at all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You're being paranoid, and not least because the story is in every paper.

They're all leading with the same story because today the biggest news is that Martinez has been sacked.

They have to find some speculation about the new manager and have all jumped on the same local paper story which put Koeman in the frame, but with no justification whatsoever.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about. The press has clearly been briefed by a good source, and it looks like it's from Everton. You don't get the same details coming up in every story when it's speculation.

The bit that's more opaque is the suggestion Koeman's interested. That could come from all kinds of places.

Edited by DuncanRG

You're being paranoid, and not least because the story is in every paper.

Rubbish.

Liverpool Echo published the story at 19.50. No one else ran with the story until the morning papers all published simultaneously at 22.30.

I assume Ron's weekly press conference is taking place today?

Let's hope he can kill this rumour and not give it more fuel by being evasive.

Interestingly Ron's agent is the same as De Boer's so the two favourites have the same representation.

Yep, and there for me lies the source of all this. De Boer leaves Ajax, De Boer is "interested" in the Everton job but can't make the approach himself, Martinez sacked, Ron in final year of contract but with talks ahead, Ron all over the papers - in demand. Agent, plus journalists, plus Everton PR, win win for all concerned.

Rubbish.

Liverpool Echo published the story at 19.50. No one else ran with the story until the morning papers all published simultaneously at 22.30.

You'll note that the Liverpool Echo story doesn't have the £100m war chest line, suggesting it has a different source. When things are published simultaneously across the nationals, it's because they've been briefed with an embargo, ie 'don't publish this before 10.30pm'. The Echo evidently wasn't subject to this embargo because it had another source.

Does it really sound likely to you that every newspaper in the country independently plotted to unsettle Southampton and published an identical story at exactly the same time?

The very concept of a 'destabilisation story' on the part of the media is paranoid nonsense. Clubs and players do these things but for the press it's just a good story which people want to read. If I were plotting to plant stories to mess with Liverpool's rivals, I'd start with Sevilla.

Edited by DuncanRG

If Reed and the Club feel its an "easy way out" to lose Koeman to a PL side below us for the last two seasons at least then I think that is pretty disappointing. Arsenal, fair enough. But Everton wouldn't send out a good message to players & fans and others within the Club IMO.

Wouldn't the level of disappointment also be dependent on who the replacement was rather than just on which team RK might leave for? In other words, if we were to sign the world's greatest manager, why would it matter that RK left for "a side below us for the last two seasons"? :)

Wouldn't the level of disappointment also be dependent on who the replacement was rather than just on RK leaving? In other words, if we were to sign the world's greatest manager, why would it matter that RK left for "a side below us for the last two seasons"? :)

We'll certainly be ready if he does leave. The danger is that our top choice goes somewhere else. It was interesting to see Jason Burt write that Benitez wasn't interested - why would he fancy Newcastle and not here?

If VVD is happy enough to sign a long term contract, then he must be happy with what was promised to him. and I'm sure that includes RK plans for the future.

Or VVD just wanted a release clause inserted

Wouldn't the level of disappointment also be dependent on who the replacement was rather than just on RK leaving? In other words, if we were to sign the world's greatest manager, why would it matter that RK left for "a side below us for the last two seasons"? :)

Perhaps. But it would matter in that Koeman would be suggesting he believes in the ambition of Everton more than the ambition of Southampton.

That would be a blow.

When its Arsenal (or even Spurs) its a no brainer. Not Everton IMO.

Rubbish.

Liverpool Echo published the story at 19.50. No one else ran with the story until the morning papers all published simultaneously at 22.30.Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Oh Oh ..... is Cortese back with his late night press releases to screw over The Daily Echo? :scared:

Does it really sound likely to you that every newspaper in the country independently plotted to unsettle Southampton and published an identical story at exactly the same time?

No, I believe the newspapers will publish any old rubbish at this time of the year, especially when there is eff all else to report.

We all know big clubs use newspapers to try and effect a team psychologically.

Why would this be any different?

Hopefully he's just using this as a way of putting pressure on Les and co to give him the budget he wants and make sure we keep Wanyama and Mane.

We won't keep Wanyama if he won't sign the contract extension which, given his hissy fit last summer, it appears he won't. If a serious bid comes in for him this summer we will take it rather than let him enter the final year of his current deal.

Ron will know this full well, so I very much doubt this will even enter his thinking regards his position with us or Everton.

Wouldn't the level of disappointment also be dependent on who the replacement was rather than just on which team RK might leave for? In other words, if we were to sign the world's greatest manager, why would it matter that RK left for "a side below us for the last two seasons"? :)

Perhaps. But it would matter in that Koeman would be suggesting he believes in the ambition of Everton more than the ambition of Southampton.

That would be a blow.

I agree it doesn't look good if he goes to Everton, but if the new manager we have lined up is somebody "special", an upgrade on Ron, then our ambition could be seen to be bigger.

Koeman has stated time and time again that he has a contract with Southampton and means to see it out. Plus why move to Everton? Sideways step these days and other than a slightly increased transfer budget, I don't think they've got much more to offer than we have.

Clearly going to be another long summer.

No doubt our board will say f**k-all as the media eviscerate our club once again.

Its appalling the way they have let our once great club get worse year after year after year.

Couldn't you at least try to remain optimistic until Sunday's game?

I agree it doesn't look good if he goes to Everton, but if the new manager we have lined up is somebody "special", an upgrade on Ron, then our ambition could be seen to be bigger.

Whoever we get in, it would be a massive blow for Koeman to perceive Everton as a better option just now than Saints.

That would be more annoying than when Pochettino left for me, because of the destination and current performance of the two clubs.

Hopefully his chats with Reed go well and Krueger leaves them to it - he is so cringeworthy talking about football.

But ultimately it comes down to money and how much Saints are willing to put in.

Whoever we get in, it would be a massive blow for Koeman to perceive Everton as a better option just now than Saints.

That would be more annoying than when Pochettino left for me, because of the destination and current performance of the two clubs.

Hopefully his chats with Reed go well and Krueger leaves them to it - he is so cringeworthy talking about football.

But ultimately it comes down to money and how much Saints are willing to put in.

And to think this was only a few months ago. Maybe Ron is more annoyed than we are.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/southampton-vs-liverpool-ronald-koeman-urges-saints-to-push-to-next-level-a6756421.html

For the poster who believed that this was all part of Liverpool conspiracy to twist results, you will love the fact that the above paper was released day before our game with them in December.

For the poster who believed that this was all part of Liverpool conspiracy to twist results, you will love the fact that the above paper was released day before our game with them in December.

Who thought this was all part of a Liverpool conspiracy, pal?

That would be a blow.

That's pure speculation on your part. Maybe Ron just likes scousers, Maybe he fancies nights out on the razzle with Klopp he might have always wanted to live in Cheshire....if he moves I doubt we will be any the wiser as to why.