Koeman to Everton?

Saint Charlie

I'll readily point out when Saints fans are being kn*bbers and other fans have a point about us but the posts on that forum... :scared:

If any Everton fans are reading this forum; yes, you do have a better history than us. Fantastic, well done, have a cookie. I'm not going to deny for a second that winning the league a couple of times in the 80s is more than we've got to boast about but why on Earth would that be relevant to Koeman? If you think ANYONE cares about history when they sign for a club, just watch all the world class players flocking to Leeds, Forest and Wolves this summer.

Fact is in the last 25 years you've won less than Wigan, Pompey, Boro, Swansea, Birmingham, Leicester or Blackburn. Even we have the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, you have nothing.

Better change that to 21.

I'll readily point out when Saints fans are being kn*bbers and other fans have a point about us but the posts on that forum... :scared:

If any Everton fans are reading this forum; yes, you do have a better history than us. Fantastic, well done, have a cookie. I'm not going to deny for a second that winning the league a couple of times in the 80s is more than we've got to boast about but why on Earth would that be relevant to Koeman? If you think ANYONE cares about history when they sign for a club, just watch all the world class players flocking to Leeds, Forest and Wolves this summer.

Fact is in the last 25 years you've won less than Wigan, Pompey, Boro, Swansea, Birmingham, Leicester or Blackburn. Even we have the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, you have nothing.

5535e85c31b41c0d661a243dfbd2604a.jpg

I find it faintly amusing all these supporters going on about history. Most of them probably weren't even alive when they won the league. It also makes you look a bit Mickey Mouse if you have to resort to that sort of argument. We all know that EFC has a bigger fan base and has been under performing for years, and is a "bigger" club. They are behaving like Pompey - maybe it is living in the shadow of a bigger club that makes them so chippy. History is worth a big round fat zero points in the league and is just a way of not having to face up to the failures that are plain to see.

I don't really give a damn about how other fans perceive Saints, but some (most) the stuff you guys are quoting is straight up odd/bonkers - no doubt a side-effect of all that third tier air they've got up there (I.e. oxygen deprivation).

I don't really give a damn about how other fans perceive Saints, but some (most) the stuff you guys are quoting is straight up odd/bonkers - no doubt the result of all that third tier air

Wholly agree with you. We have our club. It maybe shît to some. But it is our shît and far better than supporting some club that I have absolutely no connection with.

I went onto their forum linked up the page and there are some strange posts on there. Magnanimity (and respect) is in serious short supply. One of the first things I was told when taking a selling job is never to belittle the opposition/competition as all it does is make you look small time. Everton are better than that (or rather, they should be), but as you say, I don't really give a damn. Whatever people say about Saints isn't going to change the way that I view the club. I know perfectly well what the club is. I know it's good points and bad points and after 40 years of supporting it, I'm really not going to be concerned/upset/annoyed/rattled or what ever by things others say. It's football. I love my club, others don't and vice versa.

http://gu.com/p/4j7hv/stw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unsure what to make of that.

On one hand he seems to imply he is willing to sign a contract. The other he seems very non committal. Suppose that's to be expected.

As we've believed for a while, he needs to be convinced of the ambition. Les has a big job on there. I think that's the reason behind the recent contract flurry. I hope he's not holding out too much hope on Victor and Mane, as I just can't see them extending their contracts. Certainly not early summer anyway. If they do extend it'll be because their options are limited.

I wouldn't worry too much- a mate of mine supports Everton and he's a proper scouser, not a plastic like most of them. One mention of that website and he starts swearing.

It's just one point of view among many. They support their team, we support ours. History is all very well and good however Koeman would be managing the current squad, not the FA cup winning squad of 11 years ago. Tbh it's the same tired old argument your average skate trots out with monotonous regularity and it means nothing. They are just cups in a cabinet that need to be kept clean and fading memories in the minds of the fans, just like 1976 is for us.

The current Everton squad needs a complete overhaul if they want to achieve anything next season, the new owner is going to have to throw a serious amount of money at them to make a difference given how the rest of the league is doing.

Some ugly comments on their forum, but it's just a reaction to their recent failures, having slid anonymously down the league this season and not achieving anything other than mediocrity in recent years. They are a bit like your aging uncle who is slowly turning towards alcoholism whilst being jealous of your new home, cracking bird and better paid job.

I couldn't give a toss if they have a better history, more trophies, whatever. What matters is what happens today and tomorrow. They can pull one off over Dixie dean or whoever they like, it means **** all in today's league.

And that **** talking about the cruise business, what a bellend.

Everton apparently believe they are an attractive proposition as they will have 75-100mil to spend in the summer (this estimated budget includes stones and/or lukaku sales otherwsie they are looking at 40mil cash).

Newcastle spent 75mil of pure cash this year on players and still got relegated, spending money isnt a gurantee to success and anyway with this new tv deal kicking in I would expect most teams to spend min of over 30mil this season just to maintain.

I could seriously see us spend over 50mil for the 1st time ever in a season if we aim to "match" Ronalds ambition maybe even a bit more and keep all the players.

Much like the skates, a whole history of being in the shadow of a larger, superior neighbour has clearly worn them down. I feel a bit sorry for the melts on that forum. Bless them.

[quote=Golden Balls;2337036

As we've believed for a while, he needs to be convinced of the ambition. Les has a big job on there.

Well let's hope that they have kissed and made up their big fall out.

IMO RK like Mopo wants to see if we are going to dismantle the squad again , leaving him to have to find gems to replace them or build from strength. I expect he will be ok if we sell 1 of the major players and allow the fringe ones to go but if 2or 3 leave then he may be off.

of course if a major club turned up ( I doubt Everton fot that in his mind) he will go. Although Everton do have a record of holding on to players and don't have a for sale board on the dressing room door

IMO RK like Mopo wants to see if we are going to dismantle the squad again , leaving him to have to find gems to replace them or build from strength. I expect he will be ok if we sell 1 of the major players and allow the fringe ones to go but if 2or 3 leave then he may be off.

of course if a major club turned up ( I doubt Everton fot that in his mind) he will go. Although Everton do have a record of holding on to players and don't have a for sale board on the dressing room door

Are you being serious?

The usual drivel.

Personally can't see why he'd go for Everton, history means nothing and my guess is that any cash he'd receive would probably be funded by losing some of their best players.

Koeman is a big football name (still wonder how we got him) and his stock is high at the moment. Everton is a big risk that would at best deliver 5th\6th\7th - pretty much where SFC is right now. He will take that gamble some time but I'd have thought that when he takes it it will at least be at a club that is significantly bigger\better than SFC.

Plus I can't stand Everton, the though of RK going there is not a pleasant one.

Reading the mirror this morning and there are quite a few quotes in there from RK - stuff about sitting down after the match tomorrow which we all know but he does say he knows the plan for he club going forward (which has been said before a couple of weeks ago) that hasnt been mentioned on here. So really when he sits down with LR it really is just about what he (RK) is going to do. I'm reasonably confident he will sign an extension. Was going to ask LR when I saw him in mango last night but didn't think he would appreciate some random bloke asking those types of questions when he was out with his family.

RK has made it fairly clear that his long term aims are to manage Barcalona & Holland.

Would taking the Everton job this year help that?.................I think not

Would seeing out his contract here and then go to somewhere like Arsenal next season help that?................yes it would

Would staying at Saints and deliver European football for several seasons help?..............yes it would

IMHO he won't go anywhere until his contract here is finished.

With all due respects to Everton if he leaves us he will want to go to a club with a better squad than saints, significantly more money than Saints and in the Champions League

Everton is a big risk that would at best deliver 5th\6th\7th - pretty much where SFC is right now.

For the third season in a row. One could argue that Saints have now taken up Everton's previous slot, leaving Everton free to take Wigan's.

Personally can't see why he'd go for Everton, history means nothing and my guess is that any cash he'd receive would probably be funded by losing some of their best players.

Koeman is a big football name (still wonder how we got him) and his stock is high at the moment. Everton is a big risk that would at best deliver 5th\6th\7th - pretty much where SFC is right now. He will take that gamble some time but I'd have thought that when he takes it it will at least be at a club that is significantly bigger\better than SFC.

Plus I can't stand Everton, the though of RK going there is not a pleasant one.

Everton - big club, massively bigger than little old Saints. New owner and lots of money, £100m no less. Therefore he would be expected to do better than what he is doing here, which basically means Champions League.

Everton - big club, massively bigger than little old Saints. New owner and lots of money, £100m no less. Therefore he would be expected to do better than what he is doing here, which basically means Champions League.

Everton aren't really any more likely to get into the CL than a host of other clubs, West Ham and us included. As others have said, that £100m in the context of the new TV deal and them selling Stones is in the ball park of what Newcastle burned through this season.

We've certainly come a long way since the first match of the season when Everton walked through us. Who would have thought that Everton were to become one of the season's failures. May the trajectory continue.

Seriously..

Anyone saying that just because Koeman has posed for the cameras for the players contracts signing is indicative of him staying...really need to remember these pair of tools:

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

If Koeman see's his future elsewhere, then I'd rather the board made the change now.

But to be fair, given this article posted above by another poster:

It doesn't fill me with confidence about Koeman staying.

What I took from that Article, is Koeman wants to see how much of his squad saints get on new contracts to:

A) show the ambition of the club

B) confidence that the squad he has won't be pulled out from under him and sold.

Which is fair enough..as we do have a track record of selling our best players and have done for years.

But tbh, I've changed my mind about whether I think Koeman is staying or going so many F***ng times, I just think

we can speculate all we like until the ink is dry on the paper or he walks out the door.

And if he does walk out the door would anyone REALLY be that suprised?..I wouldn't tbh.

See it happen over and over at just about every club in the country..unless you're a top 4 club.

Which we aren't.

Edited by Ice2Eskimos

Seriously..

Anyone saying that just because Koeman has posed for the cameras for the players contracts signing is indicative of him staying...really need to remember these pair of tools:

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

If Koeman see's his future elsewhere, then I'd rather the board made the change now.

But to be fair, given this article posted above by another poster:

It doesn't fill me with confidence about Koeman staying.

What I took from that Article, is Koeman wants to see how much of his squad saints get on new contracts to:

A) show the ambition of the club

B) confidence that the squad he has won't be pulled out from under him and sold.

Which is fair enough..as we do have a track record of selling our best players and have done for years.

But tbh, I've changed my mind about whether I think Koeman is staying or going so many F***ng times, I just think

we can speculate all we like until the ink is dry on the paper or he walks out the door.

And if he does walk out the door would anyone REALLY be that suprised?..I wouldn't tbh.

See it happen over and over at just about every club in the country..unless you're a top 4 club.

Which we aren't.

What happened to the picture of the train that Doncaster gave us?

For the third season in a row. One could argue that Saints have now taken up Everton's previous slot, leaving Everton free to take Wigan's.

And yet they were held up as the model we should be aspiring to? And they kept their best players and their manager. So perhaps that isn't always the best way afterall? ;)

Amazing how much energy is being spent debating our managers future. He has already stated, quite clearly, that any decisions would be made once the season is complete. We have a pivotal game on Sunday in terms of being in europe next season, so considering these two things together it has to be a case of wait and see.

Reading the mirror this morning and there are quite a few quotes in there from RK - stuff about sitting down after the match tomorrow which we all know but he does say he knows the plan for he club going forward (which has been said before a couple of weeks ago) that hasnt been mentioned on here. So really when he sits down with LR it really is just about what he (RK) is going to do. I'm reasonably confident he will sign an extension. Was going to ask LR when I saw him in mango last night but didn't think he would appreciate some random bloke asking those types of questions when he was out with his family.

Koeman will not leave before his contract is up that is obvious as he has repeated many times.

Will Les Reed push him out the door early?

Dont be stupid as we would rip him to pieces.

Les Reed is getting as many players on long contracts so if Koeman does leave after next season he has committed players that will stay with SFC.

Saints interested in Flores apparently:

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/marca-leeds-target-flores-has-offer-from-southampton-espanyol-int

Koeman on the summer:

http://sport.bt.com/football/news/ronald-koeman-southampton-will-be-stronger-next-season-if-top-players-stay-S11364060928445

Guan's comments the other day:

What i know: Ronald is perfectly happy to stay for his last contracted year, but is always hesitant about adding more, which was most evident in the middle of our bad form where the board presented him with a list of on-going concerns. Nothing has indicated he's jumping at the chance to add to his time here after that.

Speculation begins: I wouldn't be surprised if the board replace him in the summer, as an outgoing manager rarely inspires great displays of player commitment.

Plus we have a new direction in the works that K billy has told me about. But that's for him to comment on, not me.

Edited by Saint Charlie

e7df15fcd7631ccf44cec9f3d7844134.png

LOL sounds like a few saints fans...

Back during the mid season slump people on here were questioning weather Koeman was even up to the job now if he goes it will be a disaster. I like him hope he stays personally but you do have to love the fickleness of football fans.

A few Everton fans have said that he's hit the ceiling with us, but it's highly improbable that he'll surpass that with Everton - which is practically a top 4 position.

They're also under the impression that we think we're the dog's ******** now. Sure, they're a bigger club than us and the past two seasons mean little in our historical/future standings, but the reality is that they're just another stepping stone when compared to potential opportunities, and it's hardly a massive step.

Arsenal, Barcelona and the Netherlands are strong possibilities when the inevitable happens. Not Everton.

@solentsport

LISTEN: #saintsfc boss Ronald Koeman with @bigadamsport on Everton, his own future & final day https://t.co/WJS69Jj4Kz via @audioBoom

for those who cant listen right now.

would like to have had everything quiet

we have had good news with fraser and prowsey

I have 1 year left and we will talk next week about the future

nothing has changed on that

we finish the season as best as we can, we will talk straight after that

not true about everton

I am surprised by the newspapers

no interest in everton, I am focused on southampton

we will sort the future out next week

I understand why there is speculation

I signed 3 1 year contracts as feyenord

it is different in holland

even if I stay for just one more year here, I will fight till the last second

players play more for the club than a manager. the club pays their wages

gives me and everyone a boost with players signing new deals

we want more quality in the squad

we want to finish the season with a win

we will focus on ourselves

we know they have a final next week

we will fight to win this game

true that we have not done well against palace this season

will need to be at our best, we are showing good football, spirit and belief now

confidence is important and we are showing that

at home we are strong, it will not be easy on sunday

fantastic feeling this season, team showed great character after a difficult period

we are finishing strong this season, which is different to last year

Interesting reading their forum. There are clearly some deluded individuals who think Mourinho is realistically an option, who also seem to have decided that their new owner will make them the next Man City. Unless i'm missing something that isn't going to happen. Yet there are some sane individuals who whilst proud of their historic success realise there's a long hard slog up the table from where they are now.

Personally i doubt Koeman would be interested. It seems different to the situation with Potch where we were being poached by a club higher in the league with a recent history of high placings.

With Everton the squad needs serious reworking when you look beyond the 3 young crown jewels they are desperate not to have poached off them, 2 seasons of lower mid table finishes, they've got an old moderately bigger ground, marginally higher current revenue. It just doesn't come across to me as a significantly big step up compared to the risk. Personally i think they should be jumping to secure De Boer, who looks perfect option to try and turn them round.

What he said. Lukaku certainly will want to go, Stones probable. Barkley and Coleman will be sought after but will prob stay.