Rivals/Other Prem clubs transfer thread

SaintBitterne

Sorry Batty, but signing a couple of £1m players is hardly blowing people out of the water, not least as we sold twice the value that we bought.

it is in league 1 when we were there and the finances behind us.

we never sold a dime when we spent that sort of money

not many clubs in the 3 leagues outside of the prem had a billionaire behind them.

not to mention the money spent of the training facilities and academy at the time.

Edited by Batman

Sorry Batty, but signing a couple of £1m players is hardly blowing people out of the water, not least as we sold twice the value that we bought.

Who did we sell for twice the value that we bought?

And yeah, all league one teams are buying a "couple of £1m players" all the time aren't they?

The "something must be done" routine only works when Saints are the helpless victim of the evil rich clubs.

Well we've been awfully lucky to bankroll/steamroll our way through two divisions and establish ourselves in the Premier League. We've been lucky to have bankrolled a posh set of training facilities - maybe "something should be done" about that - shouldn't we be forced to share them with other clubs who aren't so lucky to own the steamroller what we got?

The sad thing is those in charge of the game are happy to let this happen. I hope someone clamps down on Southampton FC and no mistake.

Edited by CB Fry

Who did we sell for twice the value that we bought?

And yeah, all league one teams are buying a "couple of £1m players" all the time aren't they?

2009/10

Bought

Fonte - £1.19m

Lambert - £1.02m

Puncheon - £191k

Total - £2.40m

Sold

McGoldrick - £1.59m

Rasiak - £1.53m

Surman - £1.19m

Total - £4.31m

Not sure that many/any other L1 sides sold that value of players to enable them to spend at a similar level.

The "something must be done" routine only works when Saints are the helpless victim of the evil rich clubs.

If that is aimed at me, then it is way way off target.

Edited by angelman

Lambert cost more than the next 3 big signings that SEASON combined

Sorry Batty, not that it is hugely important, but I think that you might be wrong. Kasper Schmeichel cost more than Lambert when he went from Man City to Notts County for £1.49m, but granted, many teams took loans and frees.

2009/10

Bought

Fonte - £1.19m

Lambert - £1.02m

Puncheon - £191k

Total - £2.40m

Sold

McGoldrick - £1.59m

Rasiak - £1.53m

Surman - £1.19m

Total - £4.31m

Not sure that many/any other L1 sides sold that value of players to enable them to spend at a similar level.

many other sides have to sell to survive,

we blew everyone out of the water financially

Bristol Rovers sold a player for £1m. how much of that did they re-invest? it was not anywhere near £1m

how many could afford to stop a player leaving for the premier league, or sign a player from the league above and pay them accordingly?

Surman and McGoldrick were sold to delay us going out of business. Not really to build up a transfer pot was it

transfers aside, how do you think dagenham and redbridge or yeovil thought of the fairness of us paying a single player more than their operating costs?

Edited by Batman

2009/10

Bought

Fonte - £1.19m

Lambert - £1.02m

Puncheon - £191k

Total - £2.40m

Sold

McGoldrick - £1.59m

Rasiak - £1.53m

Surman - £1.19m

Total - £4.31m

I can't remember exactly when Rasiak was sold but Surman and Mcgoldrick were definitely sold when we were in administration to pay off debt and stop us going pop not as the means for some transfer market wheeler dealering spree.

We also signed plenty of players on high wages like Waigo, Hammond, Jaidi plus keeping players like Kelvin.

Talk about rewriting history.

So, It's all a bit odd we venerate Leibherr and Cortese when it turns out they did nothing for except spend the funds off the back of selling David McGoldrick. I'd like to think they did more than that but maybe not, turms out we were just Carlisle United with a player or two to sell.

not sad when we did it in league 1.

we blew everyone out of the water financially in that league. bit rich to moan now we are not the big boys

just the way it is. Now, Leicester could just say no.

Spot on ........

.....which is slightly odd seeing as you are normally one of the first to melt everytime we lose a player or manager to a bigger club.....

Sorry Batty, not that it is hugely important, but I think that you might be wrong. Kasper Schmeichel cost more than Lambert when he went from Man City to Notts County for £1.49m, but granted, many teams took loans and frees.

Remind me, when were we in League 2?

Interesting piece in the Liverpool echo regarding Everton looks like expectations being managed to me

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-talking-point-koemans-priority-11657564

Much has been made of the supposed £100million transfer war chest that Koeman has been handed to bolster the Blues squad but the reality is that this side probably just needs a few tweaks rather than a major overhaul.

Roberto Martinez arguably assembled the club's most talented group of individuals since their last title-winning season back in 1987 but the problem was that he was unable to mould this gifted bunch into a successful team

Given that in a market inflated by television money, average players are now commanding £25million fees, Koeman might be well-advised holding a bit back until next summer.

2009/10

Bought

Fonte - £1.19m

Lambert - £1.02m

Puncheon - £191k

Total - £2.40m

Sold

McGoldrick - £1.59m

Rasiak - £1.53m

Surman - £1.19m

Total - £4.31m

Why did you not include the signings of Hammond, Harding, Barnard and Seaborne?

All of them cost more or as much, as Puncheon.

Interesting piece in the Liverpool echo regarding Everton looks like expectations being managed to me

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-talking-point-koemans-priority-11657564

Much has been made of the supposed £100million transfer war chest that Koeman has been handed to bolster the Blues squad but the reality is that this side probably just needs a few tweaks rather than a major overhaul.

Roberto Martinez arguably assembled the club's most talented group of individuals since their last title-winning season back in 1987 but the problem was that he was unable to mould this gifted bunch into a successful team

Given that in a market inflated by television money, average players are now commanding £25million fees, Koeman might be well-advised holding a bit back until next summer.

Isn't one of their problems that they are going for the same players that other bigger clubs than them are going for. eg Witsel might well be going to Juve. Wijnaldum to Liverpool. Pelle to China ;)

Lambert cost more than the next 3 big signings that SEASON combined

2 out of 3 of those next biggest signings.....guess who they signed for....? the other player was Grant Holt

not many teams in league 1 when we were there could buy a £1m defender from the league above, beating a prem team to his signature and get him to DROP down a league.

lambert admitted his (if i remember rightly) wages quadrupled when he joined us.

we never had to sell a single player to survive or finance anything. which is rare in league 1 and we had very big crowds compared to about 20 teams

Kelvin davis was happy to to turn down a prem club to stay. Now, I know he likes it here but lets not pretend he did it out of charity

I wonder if Bristol Rovers thought it was fair game that we swiped their top player, or Dagenham thought it was all part of the fun that we could pay a single player for more than their running costs

All of which only serves to prove that us being in L1 was a false position created by gross mismanagement in the first place.

LEICESTER OWNERS TO MEET IN LA

Sky Sources are telling us that Leicester City’s owners and officials will meet today in LA to discuss the future of a number of their key players.

On the agenda will be the future of striker Riyad Mahrez, who has been strongly linked with a move to Arsenal in recent days. Manager Claudio Ranieri told reporters after Saturday’s win over Celtic that the 25-year-old Algerian was not for sale.

Also under discussion will be the possibility of a new contract for Kasper Schmeichel, who has attracted interest from Everton despite already entering talks with Leicester over a new deal.

Danny Drinkwater is another who has opened talks and is holding out for £80,000-a-week with a two-year extension to the four-year contract he signed when the club were promoted in 2014.

----------------------------------------------------------

GOMIS SET FOR SWANSEA EXIT?

Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis is finalising a deal to join Marseille on a season-long loan, according to Sky sources.

The Swans and Marseille have agreed a deal and Gomis is now in discussions with the French club.

Gomis, who was left out of Swansea’s 5-1 win at Bristol Rovers on Saturday, has two years left on his current deal at the Liberty Stadium.

----------------------------------------------------------

WATFORD INTERESTED IN BOUFAL

Sky sources understand they are one of a number of clubs interested in Lille forward Sofiane Boufal.

It is understood Lille value the Moroccan international at over £15m.

Boufal has been made aware of what the personal terms would be at Vicarage Road - and it is a move he would agree to if the two clubs can come to an agreement.

All of which only serves to prove that us being in L1 was a false position created by gross mismanagement in the first place.

This, basically.

The reason we spent so much more money that anyone else was because we were a mid table Premier League club, in League 1 with a League 2 standard squad. We just shouldn't have been there.

This, basically.

The reason we spent so much more money that anyone else was because we were a mid table Premier League club, in League 1 with a League 2 standard squad. We just shouldn't have been there.

And yet Adkins could only get us to runners up position....twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoke City FC ‏@stokecity

BREAKING | Stoke City are delighted to announce the signing of @RamadanSobhi from Egyptian Champions @AlAhly #SCFC

CoNXl4JWYAA249F.jpg

Two points.

1) Can he do it on a cold Saturday night in Stoke?

and if so..

2) I am so jealous of Stoke's transfer dealings.

what exactly is this thing you have with obsessively seeking out any saints based hypocrisy? seems like a lot of effort.

fans like their own clubs more than any others and tend to view things from their own club's perspective. it doesn't matter.

He has a lot of spare time on his hands. After all, there's not much for a submarine captain to do in Camden Town, eh Brett? ;)

Stoke City FC ‏@stokecity

BREAKING | Stoke City are delighted to announce the signing of @RamadanSobhi from Egyptian Champions @AlAhly #SCFC

CoNXl4JWYAA249F.jpg

I was having a quick read on this guy, his stats are impressive. With the right coaching he could be a bargain for Stoke, similar to Mahrez or even Mané, being sold for big bucks in a couple of years.

Or equally, he could flop. But at no more than £5 million I'd say a decent risk. (Like with Juanmi)

Good signing for Stoke that, they've got some good midfield options there now. Would imagine Imbula and Allen will be first choice, tidy pair. (on paper)

Yeah. Plus have Whelan & Adam in the mix. Decent options as you say - In signing Imbula & Allen, they've instantly upgraded their old midfield.

Stoke are still doing their nut over Berihino who REALLY doesn't want to go there. Hughes has asked if he can go after WB with a big offer as he's so f**ked off. This was as of last Thursday.

Is it not still one big merry-go-round?

- West Ham want any big-wage/big fee striker... But won't let Sakho ago until they get one...

- West Brom want Sakho but can't sign him because of the above...

- Stoke want Berahino but West Brom won't let him leave until they sign Sakho...

Stoke are still doing their nut over Berihino who REALLY doesn't want to go there. Hughes has asked if he can go after WB with a big offer as he's so f**ked off. This was as of last Thursday.

He's pretty much binned his career to be honest. If he'd been decent about things when Spurs were interested, he may well have got his move - or he'd have got his wish the following year after having a decent season.

He really isn't good enough to be throwing his toys around though.

Everton ITK reckons they will have a positive net spend of £90m and will sell Stones, McCarthy and some fringe players.

Stones alone will generate £40m so they would have to be spending well over £130m to hit that £90m net spend figure.

Be interesting to see if that is anywhere near reality but Koeman and Walsh clearly joined because there is money to spend.

Certainly some big deals still to happen across the PL as a whole, as always August is by far the busiest month.

A lot of us were a bit taken aback by Long's transfer fee. In the next month we're going to see some real average players go for well over a Shlong. A lot of teams still looking for a striker.

Arsenal - Striker, CB?

Chelsea - Possible Costa replacement

Crystal Palace - Striker

Everton - Stones/Lukaku sales and replacements? Goalkeeper

Leicester - They've replaced Kante, but lots of rumours circulating about other players wanting out. Could still get picked apart.

Man City - Apparently Pep wants 2 new CB's which would be strange given Kompany is a rock for them.

Man Utd - Pogba should be their last bit of business in, quite a few players going out.

Stoke - Striker

WestHam - Striker

West Ham have it the worst. They want a marquee signing but no way they can land any of the big fish the top clubs might go for. They won't settle for a player with "potential" like Berahino. They want the finished product and I think they're going to have to pay a fortune for someone just below that top echelon.

BURNLEY BID FOR DALE STEPHENS

Burnley have reportedly seen a third bid for Brighton’s Dale Stephens rejected.

According to the Lancashire Telegraph, the Clarets have improved on their opening offer of £4m, but have again been rebuffed.

SAKHO FUTURE IN DOUBT?

Mamadou Sakho has been sent home from Liverpool's tour of the United States by Jurgen Klopp, with Sky sources understanding there have been concerns about his attitude.

The 26-year-old was not due to take part in any of his side's warm-up fixtures against Chelsea, AC Milan and Roma because of an Achilles problem and will also miss the start of the new Premier League season.

However, Liverpool included Sakho and other injured players on the tour to keep the squad together ahead of the new campaign.

But those plans have been thwarted with concerns raised over the French international's attitude on the tour and he has been sent home early to continue his recovery from injury at Melwood.

Sakho angered Klopp by turning up late for Liverpool's flight to the United States.

BURNLEY BID FOR DALE STEPHENS

Burnley have reportedly seen a third bid for Brighton’s Dale Stephens rejected.

According to the Lancashire Telegraph, the Clarets have improved on their opening offer of £4m, but have again been rebuffed.

Burnley preparing for life in the Championship.

SAKHO FUTURE IN DOUBT?

Mamadou Sakho has been sent home from Liverpool's tour of the United States by Jurgen Klopp, with Sky sources understanding there have been concerns about his attitude.

The 26-year-old was not due to take part in any of his side's warm-up fixtures against Chelsea, AC Milan and Roma because of an Achilles problem and will also miss the start of the new Premier League season.

However, Liverpool included Sakho and other injured players on the tour to keep the squad together ahead of the new campaign.

But those plans have been thwarted with concerns raised over the French international's attitude on the tour and he has been sent home early to continue his recovery from injury at Melwood.

Sakho angered Klopp by turning up late for Liverpool's flight to the United States.

Silly doping conviction which put him aside from the end of their campaign last season and now he's playing up ?

Must be a new form of transfer request I suppose.

Arnautovic is to sign a new Stoke deal according to The Daily Heil. I can't understand how he's turning down a massive club like Everton, especially given how they were the first to install undersoil dugouts, or whatever it was.

That would be well funny, can't get Champions league players to join them because, well, because they are a million miles from Champions league, and now they can't get mid table players to join them. :lol:

I'll love it if Everton carry on with this 'we've got a warchest' line, but actually fail to sign anyone that'll improve them. Arsenal seem to be having the same issue, all of their top targets just aren't interested.

I'll love it if Everton carry on with this 'we've got a warchest' line, but actually fail to sign anyone that'll improve them. Arsenal seem to be having the same issue, all of their top targets just aren't interested.

Why would top players be interested in Everton...seriously. I mean if they bought a whole team of really good players then they might have a chance of doing something but if Stekelenburg is to be their number 1 keeper then it shows their level really.

Why would top players be interested in Everton...seriously. I mean if they bought a whole team of really good players then they might have a chance of doing something but if Stekelenburg is to be their number 1 keeper then it shows their level really.

Something to do with dugouts and the 19th century

Strange market. Everyone seems to be reluctant to sell unless for silly money (that is apart from us and Wanyama, but then you never really know the details). Everton have made it worse for themselves by telling everyone how much money they have. They are then trying to sign players that the bigger clubs are wanting