Rivals/Other Prem clubs transfer thread

SaintBitterne

107 in 190 for Madrid, 71 in 104 for Napoli, in the league plus 30 in 63 for Argentina.

Probably in bracket below Messi/Ronaldo level with the likes of Bale and Aguero.

The fee is a lot but it was a release clause, way cheaper than Pogba is about to go for and it's pretty much a no brainer for Juve, they get a very good striker and directly weaken their nearest rivals.

Not sure how Pogba features into it, you're therefore saying they lose an incredible midfielder (23 years old, arguably already at the world class level) and get a striker instead, not really a like for like other than saying they've now got the cash. The Suarez transfer wasn't even that much, with a younger and arguably better player. He was being bought by the 2nd richest club in the world. His behaviour at the world cup played a part but you're losing out two months at the start of the season, and now he's turned it around and is excellent.

I'm not saying it makes no sense - agree about the weakening of a rival and obviously he'd done very well in the past few seasons. Not that any journalist or fan put him in the same bracket as the top crop of players in the world - has he ever been nominated for ballon dor?

I'm just saying it's a shock that this is the norm now

With all the money around I think clubs are holding out for more money, many are then looking at other targets. More than ever I can see a late surge in spending and loads of deals completed in the last few days of the window, plus more panic buys than normal.

At this rate, Everton will be spending £150m on deadline day :D

GUZAN HAVING BORO MEDICAL

Brad Guzan is on Teesside undergoing his Middlesbrough medical, Sky sources understand.

The Aston Villa goalkeeper will sign for on a free transfer having become surplus to requirements at Villa Park.

Valdes must've had a terrible week in training

Not sure how Pogba features into it, you're therefore saying they lose an incredible midfielder (23 years old, arguably already at the world class level) and get a striker instead, not really a like for like other than saying they've now got the cash. The Suarez transfer wasn't even that much, with a younger and arguably better player. He was being bought by the 2nd richest club in the world. His behaviour at the world cup played a part but you're losing out two months at the start of the season, and now he's turned it around and is excellent.

I'm not saying it makes no sense - agree about the weakening of a rival and obviously he'd done very well in the past few seasons. Not that any journalist or fan put him in the same bracket as the top crop of players in the world - has he ever been nominated for ballon dor?

I'm just saying it's a shock that this is the norm now

Higuain has been talked about as a top striker for the last few years, he's been linked to Arsenal like every season pretty much as £50-60 million values.

He's pretty much the only world class striker that wasn't already at the top 4/5 clubs in the world. He is pretty much the Suarez transfer of a few years ago, similar age, had just had a 30 plus goals season and at a big club but not a super huge clubs. Plus the fee has gone up what £10 million in two years?

Also Pogba is over rated, they'll get more worth in goals out of Higuain than Man Utd will get from Pogba at £100 million.

it's just sadly the rate these days, Ronaldo was £80 million 6 years ago, now a 25 year old Ronaldo or Messi would be £200 million.

Remember Chelsea have just paid Batsuhayi for 35 million Euros, a guy that managed 17 goals in the French league last year and 9 the year before it. Benteke did f all last year and he is still being talked about moving for £30 million.

It's no wonder a guy who has been banging them in consistently for 5 years in a top league, in Europe and internationally is going to go for £75 million.

How much do you reckon Aguero or Lewandoski would go for? Both about the same age as Higuain and have similar scoring records.

They've now removed the hilarious banner featuring their targets they were 'definitely. going to get.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2114[/ATTACH]

They were totally embarrassing themselves post-takeover. Even before Koeman, they belived they could get Jose Mourinho if they tried. They also wanted Simmone, hence a fair few of them being 'underwhelmed' when they appointed Koeman.

Their expectations were scewed because they thought they had lots of money, and the media/their club played the stupid 'warchest' card in every article. It's still early days though, we'll see plenty of things happen in August - but in respect of Everton, I don't think they'll be getting the 'superstars' they all expected.

They were totally embarrassing themselves post-takeover. Even before Koeman, they belived they could get Jose Mourinho if they tried. They also wanted Simmone, hence a fair few of them being 'underwhelmed' when they appointed Koeman.

Their expectations were scewed because they thought they had lots of money, and the media/their club played the stupid 'warchest' card in every article. It's still early days though, we'll see plenty of things happen in August - but in respect of Everton, I don't think they'll be getting the 'superstars' they all expected.

When their entire war-chest in this day of age = one player, they are not simply going to elevate to their desired position immediately.

Ron's gamble is backfiring.

Higuain has been talked about as a top striker for the last few years, he's been linked to Arsenal like every season pretty much as £50-60 million values.

He's pretty much the only world class striker that wasn't already at the top 4/5 clubs in the world. He is pretty much the Suarez transfer of a few years ago, similar age, had just had a 30 plus goals season and at a big club but not a super huge clubs. Plus the fee has gone up what £10 million in two years?

Also Pogba is over rated, they'll get more worth in goals out of Higuain than Man Utd will get from Pogba at £100 million.

it's just sadly the rate these days, Ronaldo was £80 million 6 years ago, now a 25 year old Ronaldo or Messi would be £200 million.

Remember Chelsea have just paid Batsuhayi for 35 million Euros, a guy that managed 17 goals in the French league last year and 9 the year before it. Benteke did f all last year and he is still being talked about moving for £30 million.

It's no wonder a guy who has been banging them in consistently for 5 years in a top league, in Europe and internationally is going to go for £75 million.

How much do you reckon Aguero or Lewandoski would go for? Both about the same age as Higuain and have similar scoring records.

If he was 3/4 years younger it would of made more sense, but that price for a player who will no doubt be on the decline after another 2 years at the top with little to no re sale value does seem very odd for a normally shrewd Juventus in the transfer market over the last 4/5 years to pay that much for a 29 year old.

The problem for their fans is that history bares no resemblance to reality.

The problem for their fans is that history bares no resemblance to reality.

Well not these last 30 years or so anyway; When they had the benefits of Vernon's Pools money agogo and bought players just to keep them off the market, had no catholics playing for them etc things were different. When football was about your local lads against other local lads Everton were successful from time to time.

Im starting to think players dont care about who invented dugouts!

LIVERPOOL IN FOR JOAO MARIO

The agent of Sporting Lisbon midfielder Joao Mario has confirmed that Liverpool lodged a bid for the Portugal international last week. Jurgen Klopp is still interested in signing the player, according to Sky sources, but it will take an increased bid of at least £35m to lure the playmaker to Anfield.

Ok, so as someone who liked what they were doing by adding Wijnaldum & Mane to their attack - I'm thinking adding another one is a tad excessive.

FIORENTINA ATTEMPT GOMEZ-TELLO SWAP

Fiorentina have proposed sending Mario Gomez to Barcelona as part of their attempts to sign Spanish forward Cristian Tello, reports Sport.

Southampton target Tello spent the second half of last season on loan at Fiorentina and the Italian club want him back in their ranks for the new campaign.

However, Fiorentina’s negotiations with Barcelona have stalled as they are not willing to meet their €8m asking price. Tello has agreed terms with Fiorentina, but Barcelona are not keen to loan him out again as they want to part ways with him on a permanent basis.

CHILWELL PENS NEW LEICESTER DEAL

Leicester defender Ben Chilwell has signed a new long-term contract with the Premier League champions.

Hold the back page. Was that 'Breaking News' on SSN with a reporter 'live' at the stadium?

Just wish the whole f*****g Pogba saga would get bent. Sick of the constant updates every day for the last god-knows-how-many months now. Christ.

Quite funny that Utd seem to want to pay so much and smacks of desperation rather than true value. From what I have seen which admittedly is limited I am baffled that he is considered worth anything near that.

Utd will have spent over £500m in transfers since 2013. Insane

Quite funny that Utd seem to want to pay so much and smacks of desperation rather than true value. From what I have seen which admittedly is limited I am baffled that he is considered worth anything near that.

thing is, they can afford it

read somewhere that Pogba wont even be their biggest signing when the free is a % against their income/turnover

Which comes back to what 'Arry said about FFP while he was at QPR. One of the (few) things I agreed with him about. He said,

“We should be able to spend as much as Man United before we play them on Sunday shouldn’t we? What is fair play? I don’t know. One team can spend £200m on a team, another team might spend £8m on a team, and that’s not fair play is it. Fair play would be everybody having a maximum of £30m a year to spend on their team, produce some kids out of the youth team and work harder with the players they’ve got.”

People go on and on and on about the TV deal. It still doesn't close the gap between the rich and poor clubs that much, it just moves the fees along for everyone. Palace can try and bid £30m for one player. The big boys can sign a whole team of £30m players if they want.

Let's face it, Scudamore likes the big boys. He wants them to spend huge amounts and to get international super stars in. He can sell Imbrahimovich and Pogba around the world very easily. Even I could! A bit harder to sell Hojbjerg and Redmond to an overseas audience. The big sides do very very little for the English game and its development.

Which comes back to what 'Arry said about FFP while he was at QPR. One of the (few) things I agreed with him about. He said,

“We should be able to spend as much as Man United before we play them on Sunday shouldn’t we? What is fair play? I don’t know. One team can spend £200m on a team, another team might spend £8m on a team, and that’s not fair play is it. Fair play would be everybody having a maximum of £30m a year to spend on their team, produce some kids out of the youth team and work harder with the players they’ve got.”

People go on and on and on about the TV deal. It still doesn't close the gap between the rich and poor clubs that much, it just moves the fees along for everyone. Palace can try and bid £30m for one player. The big boys can sign a whole team of £30m players if they want.

Let's face it, Scudamore likes the big boys. He wants them to spend huge amounts and to get international super stars in. He can sell Imbrahimovich and Pogba around the world very easily. Even I could! A bit harder to sell Hojbjerg and Redmond to an overseas audience. The big sides do very very little for the English game and its development.

the premier league is a great deal more fair when it comes to the distribution of the TV money than many other top divisions

That may or may not be so, although I am not too au fait with distribution rights.

Germany: http://www.totalsportek.com/money/bundesliga-tv-rights/

Spain: http://www.totalsportek.com/money/spanish-la-liga-tv-rights-sale-equal-distribution-model/

Italy: http://www.totalsportek.com/football/italian-serie-a-tv-rights-money-distribution/

Seems pretty much in line with UK, except Italy's bit based on appeal of the club.

That may or may not be so, although I am not too au fait with distribution rights.

Germany: http://www.totalsportek.com/money/bundesliga-tv-rights/

Spain: http://www.totalsportek.com/money/spanish-la-liga-tv-rights-sale-equal-distribution-model/

Italy: http://www.totalsportek.com/football/italian-serie-a-tv-rights-money-distribution/

Seems pretty much in line with UK, except Italy's bit based on appeal of the club.

only very recently, the premier league has been pretty (very) fair in distribution since day 1

Yes it has been a lot fairer than, say, the Spanish league. But what isn't particularly fair (actually, it probably is) is the way that they pay to show games and then televise some club every single match. There's one in particular who are the darling of the media who get shown something like 28 times, compared to our usual minimum of 11 or maybe a couple more times. I realise that this plays to the biggest audience so is commercially a necessity, but even when there are big/appealing matches, we still get that club's boring games.

And how does PL deal benefit the leagues beneath us and grass roots? It doesn't. I would love PL to bring in a surcharge on all players signed from over seas. Say 10-15%, that goes in to a pot to help grass roots. We have aspiring coaches having to fork out over £5k to get their coaching badges (I think in Germany it is €500), not enough pitches, smaller clubs going bust for less than a top player earns in a week, etc etc

For a while United seemed a palatable alternative to Chelsea and Man City (for me at least, even though I hated them when I was a kid). Now it's hard to justify seeing them like that!

doesnt the premier league give something like £1bn over a TV deal (3 years?) to the lower leagues/grass roots????

you ask for 10-15%

here you go....why not give more

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-clubs-share-1billion-5409795

Fine. But do you know about

However, the league has warned that the £1billion distribution is dependent on a "satisfactory outcome" in Ofcom's investigation into how domestic TV rights are sold, following a complaint from Virgin Media, as well as overseas rights sales

Was this resolved?

As for the surcharge on over seas players, yes, I'd still have that. I know the 8 HG players is supposed to address things, but it doesn't. I do wonder why some of these big clubs bother having academies.

Fine. But do you know about

However, the league has warned that the £1billion distribution is dependent on a "satisfactory outcome" in Ofcom's investigation into how domestic TV rights are sold, following a complaint from Virgin Media, as well as overseas rights sales

Was this resolved?

As for the surcharge on over seas players, yes, I'd still have that. I know the 8 HG players is supposed to address things, but it doesn't. I do wonder why some of these big clubs bother having academies.

Saints are giving millions of £££ to the lower leagues. We pay for a bit of that with the ridiculous ticket prices. and you want to give more?

the point is, Premier league is probably the most 'fair' league out of the top divisions. I wonder if in spain or Italy, they give 20% or so to their lower league buddies? very much doubt it

For a while United seemed a palatable alternative to Chelsea and Man City (for me at least, even though I hated them when I was a kid). Now it's hard to justify seeing them like that!

What I find interesting is the change in attitude. When the likes of Leeds and Blackburn won the league, there were accusations by some that they had bought it. Chelsea under Abramovich also were looked at with disdain for buying the title. Now, no one bats an eye lid about dropping hundreds of millions. I find it very hard to reconcile such sums and it will be the factor that pushes me away from what masquerades as a sport.

Tottenham are going to push again for the title this season. They play football that is slick and good on the eye

Unfortunately for them they combine it with a backbone of Jelly. It will be interesting to see if there is a hangover from last seasons end of season capitulation at spurs and whether their English contingent are affected by the negativity surrounding their performances for England.

User Actions

Following

r7IkF3b7_bigger.jpg
Tancredi Palmeri
Verified account
@
tancredipalmeri

Everton have bid 45m€ for Napoli's CB Koulibaly, offering him better personal terms than Chelsea's

So presume that Stones is a done deal. Alas, it seems that Everton are going to have to burden themselves with much higher wages in order to "persuade" players to come to them rather than the likes of Chelsea. The thing that people forget is how big a draw London is to overseas players.

I think it might simply be that they won't want to spend the money on him that we could ask for given he has 6 years left on his contract. Stones has 3 years left and is valued at £50m, I cannot see any reason what so ever why VVD would be less. Is anyone going to spend £60-70m on a central defender?

I think it might simply be that they won't want to spend the money on him that we could ask for given he has 6 years left on his contract. Stones has 3 years left and is valued at £50m, I cannot see any reason what so ever why VVD would be less.

Is anyone going to spend £60-70m on a central defender?

........or £100 million on a midfielder? :rolleyes:

I think it might simply be that they won't want to spend the money on him that we could ask for given he has 6 years left on his contract. Stones has 3 years left and is valued at £50m, I cannot see any reason what so ever why VVD would be less. Is anyone going to spend £60-70m on a central defender?

If they've got sponsorship and gear sales money burning a hole in their pocket why not. Isn't the maximum football player contract length 5 years or have they changed that as well.

Stones has 3 years left and is valued at £50m, I cannot see any reason what so ever why VVD would be less. Is anyone going to spend £60-70m on a central defender?

No one should really but I'm sure we will going to see it soon enough. 45 million is a insane price for a player like Koulibaly. He ain't that much better as a Bailey, Bruma or Umtiti who were all a lot cheaper. Even Hummels wasn't 45 million.

Its just getting too silly on the transfer market this summer and really if someone comes knocking for VVD, we shouldn't sell him for less then 50 million cause apparently that's normal these days.

Tottenham are going to push again for the title this season. They play football that is slick and good on the eye

At their best, true. But they had a dreadful end of season run, and haven't won a match in the Australian tournament this pre-season either. So I can't agree. They may be having more problems this campaign as well, methinks. Don't waste your money.

When things are not going their way they lose their heads, Kick people,poke the opposition in the eye and try to injure

people from a laying down position on the touchline.....

Great to watch when they're falling apart:lol:

........or £100 million on a midfielder? :rolleyes:

Aye, point taken.

If they've got sponsorship and gear sales money burning a hole in their pocket why not. Isn't the maximum football player contract length 5 years or have they changed that as well.

His contract expires 30/6/22 so I guess more than 5. Putting a limit on would be restricting trade wouldn't it, and no idea why FA/PL would actually ask for that in the first place.

No one should really but I'm sure we will going to see it soon enough. 45 million is a insane price for a player like Koulibaly. He ain't that much better as a Bailey, Bruma or Umtiti who were all a lot cheaper. Even Hummels wasn't 45 million.

Its just getting too silly on the transfer market this summer and really if someone comes knocking for VVD, we shouldn't sell him for less then 50 million cause apparently that's normal these days.

Klopp has said that he would give up football if £100m became standard. It seems that £10-15m is pretty average. £30m is standard for a good player and anything above that for a good player. It is madness in my eyes at least. Higher fees, higher wages, higher (or the same) season ticket prices, higher satellite packages. Footballers win, supporters lose.

The transfer window this summer shows up the failings of Chelsea and Utd more than anything.

Both of those clubs had the players on their books, 18 months - 2 years ago. Now they're paying insane money to get them back.

Just the mentality of wanting it all now, haven't got time to develop the player etc etc. If they were as clever as Bayern, Real or Barca...they'd insert buy back conditions on the players they let go, so they wouldn't have to negotiate these stupid fees.

@MirrorDarren: Chelsea's £57m bid for Lukaku rejected. Everton holding out for £75million. But Lukaku wants to go. @MirrorFootball https://t.co/E3jc5Z7MWC

No way he is worth that much more than Mane.

He's got a longer contract than Mane had, still three years on it.

And not much better than Mane but is more of a goal scorer.

The transfer window this summer shows up the failings of Chelsea and Utd more than anything.

Both of those clubs had the players on their books, 18 months - 2 years ago. Now they're paying insane money to get them back.

Just the mentality of wanting it all now, haven't got time to develop the player etc etc. If they were as clever as Bayern, Real or Barca...they'd insert buy back conditions on the players they let go, so they wouldn't have to negotiate these stupid fees.

Right Clarke-y

....the " teenage wonder kids " are fewer, and hopefully the new U23 format will allow clubs to hold onto players a bit longer before they have to make career choices.

A player who "looks good" as the star of a Championship side/ lower Prem. club, will be lucky to get a bench spot in a top 6 Prem. side until he has developed further.

(as we saw with Walcott and Bale. Luke Shaw had trouble getting a fit in LvG's United side - even before his big injury. Chambers was a one season wonder with Saints.

Having another 2 seasons to improve themselves will make a big difference for developing players who may have been out injured for a season and suddenly finds they are past 21, and must be released by their club. We will see this whilst watching the careers of Harrison Reed, Jack Stephens, Jordan Turnbull and Lloyd Isgrove.

Even if none of these (eventually) makes a significant Prem. career...they will at least be able to move onto a higher level club than those currently in L1 / L2.

with reference to yr. post....the likes of Sturridge, Lukaku and even Pogba ....might never had needed to move had they still been with their parent clubs at age 21.