Rivals/Other Prem clubs transfer thread

SaintBitterne

Gylfi Sigurdsson has signed an extension at Swansea, so put a line through that one. On Twitter.
Shame but he was quite expensive to buy IMO. Well done Swansea for keeping him, a couple of good strikers and a defender or 2 and they might not be as bad off as I thought.

From SKY's regional paper round-up:

- Sunderland have been linked with Burnley's Andre Gray, although they would have to shell out £30million for the frontman.

Insane money. Surely no-one is stupid enough to pay that. I'd rather have Benteke for that money as he has Premier League experience.

Quickly diver for cover or you'll be impaled on all the falling glass.

Not exactly the big money Everton fans were hoping to blow, but £7 million for a decent midfielder is small money in this day and age. CHaveDAJFU.

Not exactly the big money Everton fans were hoping to blow, but £7 million for a decent midfielder is small money in this day and age. CHaveDAJFU.

It is small money so never understand why such a small release clause. I think some were surprised at Villa's capitulation, so when signing, not really in his mind. Maybe it was a relegation clause. While Wanyama was 50% higher, put in the same bracket as sensibly priced.

20m for Berahino is a lot but he's young and could score plenty. Would be a great signing for Stoke and one I'd be disappointed to miss. Would be a great statement to go and get him and Tello. Good mixture of pace, finishing and some extra European experience.

Who knows what a lot is these days?? Shlong was a lot, but now looks pretty decent value. Palace bidding £30m puts things into perspective for me. Sad that it's gone this way, and the longer we can compete properly without joining them, the better. But I am realistic and realise that all fees have gone up, so no doubt we will break our transfer record sooner rather than later.

BERAHINO DECISION EXPECTED

A decision on Saido Berahino’s future at West Brom is expected in the next 24 hours, according to Sky sources, with both Stoke and Crystal Palace keen on the former England U21 striker.

Sky Sports News HQ understands Stoke’s bid to be worth £17m, rising to £20m, while Palace’s is thought to be a straight cash offer of £20m.

The Baggies are expected to provide confirmation on Berahino’s situation as soon as Diafro Sakho’s transfer from West Ham is complete.

Furthermore, it is understood Berahino, who currently lives in Staffordshire, is keen on a move to the Bet365 stadium.

Can't see Stoke being an ambitious move for him, just convenenient.

20m for Berahino is a lot but he's young and could score plenty. Would be a great signing for Stoke and one I'd be disappointed to miss. Would be a great statement to go and get him and Tello. Good mixture of pace, finishing and some extra European experience.

Think Berahino is a bit of kn0bhead over the way he conducted himself last season, but giving him the benefit of the doubt you might accept he was just poorly advised. Would like to see us sign him though as I think we could really push his career on, a season with us and I'm sure he'd be back on Spurs, & Liverpool's radar.

Can't see Stoke being an ambitious move for him, just convenenient.

Think Berahino is a bit of kn0bhead over the way he conducted himself last season, but giving him the benefit of the doubt you might accept he was just poorly advised. Would like to see us sign him though as I think we could really push his career on, a season with us and I'm sure he'd be back on Spurs, & Liverpool's radar.

He really doesn't want to go to Stoke and has told them that BUT the big move he was expecting hasn't materialised and as off 30mins ago they were 99% sure the deal was done.

He lives down South Staffordshire way, really nice down there, and he can be at the Stoke training ground in an hour which means he only actually has to enter the rathole on matchdays and with the Britt just off the A500/A50 he only has to venture over the very outskirts even then.

Stoke have invested serious effort in getting him.

He really doesn't want to go to Stoke and has told them that BUT the big move he was expecting hasn't materialised and as off 30mins ago they were 99% sure the deal was done.

He lives down South Staffordshire way, really nice down there, and he can be at the Stoke training ground in an hour which means he only actually has to enter the rathole on matchdays and with the Britt just off the A500/A50 he only has to venture over the very outskirts even then.

Stoke have invested serious effort in getting him.

I get the impression we're not interested in him. Shame.

Don't understand the love for Berahino on here. The lad is a certified diva. The black box assesses more than just ability in the 6yd box.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I don't want him anywhere near the club (not that he's going to be, save for twice a year, and I can only just about cope with that ;) ).

Don't understand the love for Berahino on here. The lad is a certified diva. The black box assesses more than just ability in the 6yd box.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I don't want him anywhere near the club (not that he's going to be, save for twice a year, and I can only just about cope with that ;) ).

As said above he seems a knobhead, but I'd be reasonably happy to see us bring him in, if his head can be sorted for a season then he'd be a good signing, and one we could probably flog on at the end of the season for a healthy profit, which seems to fit the club's transfer poliocy.

I would question everyone's judgement of Berahinos perceived attitude and say how many of us can genuinely say we weren't a knobhead at 19/20/21 and do rash things?!! If he is still being a d*ck at 23/24 then he probably really is!! I'd have him here in a heartbeat!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross McCormack for £12m is utterly insane, there's no long-term planning in that at all. He's not a PL player, good championship goal scorer, but he'll be carted off as quick as billy sharp was if they come up. Fair play if they can afford to waste that amount of money though.

Ross McCormack for £12m is utterly insane, there's no long-term planning in that at all. He's not a PL player, good championship goal scorer, but he'll be carted off as quick as billy sharp was if they come up. Fair play if they can afford to waste that amount of money though.

There is if he scores the goals that get them back to the Premier League......long term planning includes short term plans......if it doesnt you will not achieve them!

It's a lot especially for a 30 year old and one who seems to have a good season followed by a poor one in his career.

But Premier league is such a massive amount of money it's worth the gamble even if they bin him after one season, score 25-30 league goals that gets them promoted he's probably worth £30 million to them.

CITY SIGN GABRIEL JESUS

Man City have signed Gabriel Jesus from Palmeiras for £27m.

Kelly & Gough are actually having a decent chat on Talksport about English players at Man City and how badly Sterling is doing, and how bizarre it is to have a £50m likely to be on the bench. Question really, is why any English player wants to go there? The manager has little interest in helping the national squad, nor do the owners. They will just spend spend spend on what they see as the best, and that aint going to be English. Maybe it is about time we change the quota from 8 HG players in your 25 man squad, to 5 HG players in the starting XI.

Kelly & Gough are actually having a decent chat on Talksport about English players at Man City and how badly Sterling is doing, and how bizarre it is to have a £50m likely to be on the bench. Question really, is why any English player wants to go there? The manager has little interest in helping the national squad, nor do the owners. They will just spend spend spend on what they see as the best, and that aint going to be English. Maybe it is about time we change the quota from 8 HG players in your 25 man squad, to 5 HG players in the starting XI.

we would have been stuck a few times with that last season. but I think it is the only way to force the national team to get better. far more worthy than a winter break or prem sides fielding U21s or what ever in the paint pot

we would have been stuck a few times with that last season. but I think it is the only way to force the national team to get better. far more worthy than a winter break or prem sides fielding U21s or what ever in the paint pot

We would, but then we would have been forced to buy English than buy squad players from abroad (Juanmi, Martina etc)

Would only push the price of very average English players up though...you'd get to the point where Redmond would be a £30m player cos he's played in the prem a few times...

We would, but then we would have been forced to buy English than buy squad players from abroad (Juanmi, Martina etc)

Would only push the price of very average English players up though...you'd get to the point where Redmond would be a £30m player cos he's played in the prem a few times...

Of course there is that Catch 22, but as things are, it ain't great. Might take a year or two (or more) to settle down. Or really, the best way would be to bring them through your academy. Man City have just spent something like £200m on theirs, and I wonder how many we will see playing for them in the next 5 years or so. Playing PL/CL on a regular starting basis rather than bit part player. I suspect you could count that on one hand (or maybe less!!).

Just wondering if any other of the more successful nations have that rule, to be able to compare if that actually works...an alternate view might be that our players are not as good as we think and have had poor managers, so you could have 11 players in each team English and still have a rubbish national team. As an off shoot of that would be the premier league brand would be destroyed!

Not about transfers, but Rooney's testimonial - how does a testimonial finish 0-0?!! Talk about taking all the fun out of it. If you don't have a striker in goal and a 9 year old scoring it's really not a testimonial.

The Barcelona - Leicester friendly on the other hand, that was an awesome game to watch. Leicester's new forward Ahmed Musa looks a bit good.

I said a while (when thinking about the next England manager) that I thought Martinez would make a good national coach.

Of course I could be wrong, but I think there has been a massive overreaction to his appointment on social media.

Imagine what he could do to Belgium's defence....spurs fans probably hoping he doesn't get to coach them to often...

Imagine what he could do to Belgium's defence....spurs fans probably hoping he doesn't get to coach them to often...

Well yes, there are of course huge question marks (or maybe not even question marks, just black marks or red crosses) over his defensive organisation. However for the majority of the games Belgium will be trying to break teams down rather than defending. And Martinez has a good record of equipping teams well for one off big games, which Belgium will obviously have now and again. Almost the opposite of Wilmots, whose team looked pretty impressive against the weaker sides and as soon as they faced a test they ran out of ideas.

SAKHO DEAL FALLS THROUGH

Sky sources understand West Brom will not go ahead with the signing of West Ham striker Diafra Sakho.

It was suggested Sakho had failed a medical but we are told that is not the case. We understand Sakho would not have been fully fit for the start of the season and for that reason West Brom will not pursue the deal.

A fee of around £15m had been agreed between the clubs.

I really don't care about who other clubs sign, we should content ourselves with those that we get, and see that they should DAJFU.....

As we have seen with our "defectors "....not everyone does well when they move clubs, and Mourinho is happily slaughtering LvG's old squad with a smile and United's seemingly bottomless cheque book. Several " so-called " big clubs have previously spent £40-£50 million on players who just haven't delivered the goods in their new workplace.

The sight of the media salivating over Paul Pogba's every breath with his kick-boxing exercises and Zlatan's lack of a hotel with a swimming pool is almost beyond belief.

If I were a Man.Utd fan..(perish the thought) I'd be more than a little embarrassed that my club was willing to pay £100 million for a player that (Sir) Alex Ferguson ..practically gave away just a few years ago, when he said that the player was "disrespectful to the club". Whatever they expect for that money?..Heaven alone knows.

IMO....the Man Utd Board ought to be "sectioned" for even considering the deal. If MU win the title...or the CL ...I'm prepared to recant my statemant...but meanwhile :rolleyes:

You've come to the wrong thread, David :)

That could be because this thread seems to have fallen out of the General Sports section where it belongs, and accidentally ended up in the Saints section for some reason.

I'm sure the mods will soon put that right, and not make us suffer this cut and paste rubbish for much longer. We can get that for free in plenty of other places.

If I were a Man.Utd fan..(perish the thought) I'd be more than a little embarrassed that my club was willing to £100 million:

I work with Utd fans, who are from Manchester no less (well Preston) and they're all pretty embarrassed and not that convinced either...

I work with Utd fans, who are from Manchester no less (well Preston) and they're all pretty embarrassed and not that convinced either...

Preston and Manchester are the same distance as Poole and Southampton.

I would also be embarrassed if they claim that proximity is a reason to support the mancs.

just the player we need along with Jonathan Calleri who is being heavily linked with wet spam