Rivals/Other Prem clubs transfer thread

SaintBitterne

I don't get the Clasie criticism and have seen some list his name alongside "failures" like Gaston, Mayuka and Osvaldo before.

He gets about a lot, has a good range of passing and when he plays is of a very consistent level. I think he's been tarred with the "failure" brush because he picked up a few injuries last year, which is hardly anything he could help. I think he does little things well and is a very tidy player, doesn't score or assist but is a good defensive midfielder and will be important to have players like him this year with the extra games.

I think Koeman's long ball football didn't help him in the 2nd part of last season as the midfield was quite often bypassed altogether with hoofs up to Pelle and it's probably very difficult to look good in that situation!

I don't get the Clasie criticism and have seen some list his name alongside "failures" like Gaston, Mayuka and Osvaldo before.

He gets about a lot, has a good range of passing and when he plays is of a very consistent level. I think he's been tarred with the "failure" brush because he picked up a few injuries last year, which is hardly anything he could help. I think he does little things well and is a very tidy player, doesn't score or assist but is a good defensive midfielder and will be important to have players like him this year with the extra games.

I think Koeman's long ball football didn't help him in the 2nd part of last season as the midfield was quite often bypassed altogether with hoofs up to Pelle and it's probably very difficult to look good in that situation!

Completely agree. He's a far better player than what we've seen so far in my opinion.

It is because he is short he gets the criticism- "can't handle PL physicality".

It is because he is short he gets the criticism- "can't handle PL physicality".

basically backed up for not being able to play 2 games a week for large parts of the season.

I think he will be far better under 'possession Puel'

@SkyKaveh: West Ham agree £20m deal with Swansea for Andre Ayew. Medical this weekend. Swansea in talks with Atletico Madrid striker Borja Baston

That's probably the most obscenely overvalued deal I've seen yet. He's an average to not much kop striker Swansea picked up on a free last season. I think we did very well to get the value we did in signing Redmond and Høbjerg.

That's probably the most obscenely overvalued deal I've seen yet. He's an average to not much kop striker Swansea picked up on a free last season. I think we did very well to get the value we did in signing Redmond and Høbjerg.

he scored more league goals than Mane last year, in a side that lost its manager through the season.

Mane went for £34m and now only as good as a player who was in and out of a relegated Norwich side last season

but Ayew is the most overvalued deal yet?

What th phuck are you on about...

Preston and Manchester are the same distance as Poole and Southampton.

I would also be embarrassed if they claim that proximity is a reason to support the mancs.

I'd claim birthright as the no.1 reason. I was born in So'ton and it was a very long time ago. Residence can be down to family moves / job moves etc.

It's nice that people in other parts of the country / The World/ want to support us. I met a guy from the USA a year or so ago, and he was a very keen knowledgeable type.

The worst types are those who pick a top club..because they are a success, and for no other reason than they like to brag.

I know a couple of Swedish guys who are " MU fans " and they are going to be unbearable as the season goes on ....only because Zlatan has joined MU.

he scored more league goals than Mane last year, in a side that lost its manager through the season.

Mane went for £34m and now only as good as a player who was in and out of a relegated Norwich side last season

but Ayew is the most overvalued deal yet?

And if we'd signed him you'd be the first on here moaning about the price and hoping we wasn't Mané's replacement.

Ayew is a bit over priced but not an awful deal he did pretty well in a struggling team. West Ham just seem desperate for a striker and will probably throw the cash around until something sticks.

I'd personally be a bit underwhelmed if we signed him for £20 million though. I'd reckon they've over paid by about £5-8 million there.

If you are going to be spending upwards of £20 million on a Premiership striker then I think the money would be better directed at Berahino, Bony or Benteke, though the latter two might cost a bit more they are probably worth it.

I'd say with Llorente and this Baston guy Swansea have probably done well there, Llorente isn't super prolific but he's class and we've seen with Pelle what a big target man can do to Premier league defences, not many centre backs these days are used to playing against a proper target man.

WEST BROM WANT IGHALO

West Brom are interested in signing Watford striker Odion Ighalo before the transfer window shuts, according to Sky sources.

The Baggies want to bring in a new striker before allowing Saido Berahino to leave the club and they tried to sign West Ham's Diafra Sakho last week.

Sakho was ready to join the West Midlands club but failed a medical and the deal fell through, leaving West Brom to move on to other targets, of which Ighalo is one.

Bony available for £13m according to papers this morning. Surprised West ham, C Palace or Stoke haven't made a move seeing as they're all after strikers.

Wages will be the problem - on £140k pw basic at City + bonus's etc.

Watford seem to have been very active in the transfer market, signing a few internationals. "The Hornets have also rejected a £37.5m bid from Shanghai SIPG for Odion Ighalo".

Would we reject a bid that big for any of our players?

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer-centre/article/168/10331106/watford-sign-isaac-success-from-granada-for-club-record-fee

Watford seem to have been very active in the transfer market, signing a few internationals. "The Hornets have also rejected a £37.5m bid from Shanghai SIPG for Odion Ighalo".

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer-centre/article/168/10331106/watford-sign-isaac-success-from-granada-for-club-record-fee

Why are you using Watford as an example to prove a point? We've spent more than them in this window.

It was also documented that Watford rejected that bid because Ighalo didn't want to go there.

Yeah, we would reject that for VvD and probably Forster.

Why are you using Watford as an example to prove a point? We've spent more than them in this window.

It was also documented that Watford rejected that bid because Ighalo didn't want to go there.

It's also possible the Chinese club wanted to pay that sum in installments - which might have been a risk with a comparatively new league. I got the impression Saints got the fee for Pelle in one hit.

If say Liverpool bid £37m with at least £25-30m up front, that is likely be a different story. Personally for a guy with a single PL season that would be nuts but English football never fails to surprise me these days. Can't see him going to WBA though and nor did the prospective new owners' statement hint at heavy investment in players and a sea change from Peace's way of operating. Perhaps they will be like Saints owners though - under-promise and over-deliver? Sounds like we are getting the striker and pacy wide/10 we need so happy with that.

Benteke to Palace for potentially £25-30m - that's another one that is surprising me if it happened. Looks like Palace are paying a game of brinkmanship with Klopp up to deadline day when Klopp might need to sell to buy more. W Ham might be tempted but given they couldn't shift Sakho to WBA and Mr Glass is still fit, they may not have space at present but got a feeling that's where Benteke will end up.

Bony for £13m sounds a bargain but can't see City helping with the wages at that low market price so I reckon you can effectively double it. Everton might end up swooping there and the player wouldn't event have to move house.

Their versions of Alpine, Dalek and Batman et al. must be frothing at the mouth. Can you imagine?

It just seems like such a waste of last season. I can't imagine prospective new owners can be pleased with being shut out whilst the current owners that want to leave start spending money on players.

(Assuming they do!)

Absolutely no chance would we. They'd be off straight away.

We would if the player didn't want to go. Why would Ighalo want to move to China at this point in his career? Unless he's completely interested in money and not advancing his CVV then it would make no sense. If an Iranian club offered us and VvD big bucks then both of us would reject it.

If we want to keep a player and the player would rather stay here than go to the prospective club, the player stays.

If we want to keep a player and the player wants to go to the prospective club, we get the best fee possible rather than having an unhappy player (unless we do what we did with Schneiderlin and keep them an extra year with an agreed sale at the next summer break).

Simple, really.