Rivals/Other Prem clubs transfer thread

SaintBitterne

CITY IN FOR OXFORD

Sky sources understand Manchester City have made an official approach for West Ham midfielder Reece Oxford.

Oxford, who is contracted to West Ham until 2018, made his first-team debut at the age of 16, starring in West Ham's opening-day 2-0 win at Arsenal last season.

The England U-19 international has since played a further 11 games for Slaven Bilic's side and is viewed as the club's brightest young prospect.

West Ham are thought to be only considering bids above £10m for Oxford, who rejected a new deal at the club earlier this summer.

'UNITED POGBA BID IMMINENT'

To huge developments on the future of Paul Pogba now, and Sky in Italy report that Manchester United are set to make an official bid for the Juventus midfielder.

Our colleagues in Italy understand United are set to meet Juventus directors as well the player’s agent, Mino Raiola, in the next few hours.

United are expected to make an opening offer of about €103-104m (£86.5-£87.3m).

We also understand Pogba has already agreed personal terms with United, believed to worth €13m (£10.9m) per season.

Thats good news for clubs like Saints - it levels the playing field. The rich clubs massively overpay and the selling club generally uses the proceeds much more sensibly.

Reminds me of possibly apocryphal Peter Ridsdale story at Leeds. That player from Stoke (ISTR) was with his agent when offered a weekly salary so staggeringly high he looked across at his agent with raised eyebrows.. Ridsdale immediately raised the figure by another £X k a week!

Seth Johnson from Derby. That signing went well.

CITY IN FOR OXFORD

Sky sources understand Manchester City have made an official approach for West Ham midfielder Reece Oxford.

Oxford, who is contracted to West Ham until 2018, made his first-team debut at the age of 16, starring in West Ham's opening-day 2-0 win at Arsenal last season.

The England U-19 international has since played a further 11 games for Slaven Bilic's side and is viewed as the club's brightest young prospect.

West Ham are thought to be only considering bids above £10m for Oxford, who rejected a new deal at the club earlier this summer.

My initial thoughts on reading the headline were that Man City were going to actually buy Oxford the club.

WATFORD NEAR DJA DJEDJE DEAL

Watford are close to signing Marseille defender Brice Dja Djedje, according to Sky sources.

A fee of around £2m has been agreed between the clubs.

Djedje will discuss personal terms and undertake a medical, with the Hornets hoping to conclude the deal this week.

Watford are close to signing Marseille defender Brice Dja Djedje, according to Sky sources.

Djedje will discuss personal terms and undertake a medical, with the Hornets hoping to conclude the deal this week.

they'll regret that then, not a very good player at all.

Who?

Must be a player of equal ability in the championship ffs

Who?

Must be a player of equal ability in the championship ffs

Marseille are selling off anything that isn't nailed down. Madame wants her money and isn't having much luck in selling the whole club. Got a couple of derisory offers but can probably make more out of the individual parts.

Aren't Marseille in financial trouble, or is it just an unwilling owner with no one wanting to buy the club? Is this a fire sale? Not bad fees for players who finished 13th in the league last season, with a mere half the number of points as PSG 48 vs 96!

Reminds me of possibly apocryphal Peter Ridsdale story at Leeds. That player from Stoke (ISTR) was with his agent when offered a weekly salary so staggeringly high he looked across at his agent with raised eyebrows.. Ridsdale immediately raised the figure by another £X k a week!

It was Seth Johnson. And he was from Derby.

The 'rich/big clubs' only hope of maintaining any status quo for themselves is to continue to inflate the market. Last transfer year proved that they didn't go big enough. Very decent players were still obtainable by 'smaller/sensible clubs'.

Once again though I think they are simply proving that the model of yesteryear is unsustainable and the gap in quality between a 105M striker and a 30M one is not so big when you take into account club injury records and periods of form. Both clubs still have more money to spend than many international rivals. The power of a unified hard working team under a tactical manager, in the current climate, is worth more than the transfer spend difference than that of a celebrity manager with big names who often think they are the star player and deserve special dispensation.

Eg. Ibhramovic is very good but I suspect many other United players will think he is a knobhead and they are better. How long will they tolerate the big balls act. Same applies to their manager who believes he is the superstar not the players. It could go absolutely perfectly for them... or it could be an absolute disaster (more evidence for that recently), it is a huge gamble for the money they are paying.

Once again though I think they are simply proving that the model of yesteryear is unsustainable and the gap in quality between a 105M striker and a 30M one is not so big when you take into account club injury records and periods of form.

I reckon it's not just the quality they want to buy these days but also how much money they can make from a player like Ibrahimovic. With all the merchandise all over the world I guess they will cash on him despite the 200 million they invest. Just like Real Madrid did with Ronaldo. As long as there fans who buy all the sh*t the marketeers can think of, things will go on...

BORO'S SUBOTIC DEAL COLLAPSES

Middlesbrough's pursuit of Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic has broken down, and the defender will travel back to Germany, Sky sources understand.

Boro had agreed a fee of around £8m with Dortmund for the Serbia international and he was shown around the club's facilities nearly two weeks ago.

Aitor Karanka had hoped Subotic would join up with his squad on their pre-season training camp in Marbella but that is now unlikely to happen.

BORO'S SUBOTIC DEAL COLLAPSES

Middlesbrough's pursuit of Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic has broken down, and the defender will travel back to Germany, Sky sources understand.

Boro had agreed a fee of around £8m with Dortmund for the Serbia international and he was shown around the club's facilities nearly two weeks ago.

Aitor Karanka had hoped Subotic would join up with his squad on their pre-season training camp in Marbella but that is now unlikely to happen.

Ouch. Do transfers often break down at such advanced stages?

I suppose it depends on the reason for the breakdown. Is he injured now?
I would have thought a better team has come in, I get the feeling that can happen quite often.

Edit - Just read about the medical.

Edited by Saint_Ash

SPURS END WIJNALDUM INTEREST

Further developments from White Hart Lane now, and Sky Sports News HQ understands Tottenham have ended their interest in Newcastle midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum.

Spurs were keen on the Netherlands international but manager Mauricio Pochettino has decided he is too expensive, with the Magpies unwilling to budge on their £25m valuation.

Wijnaldum, who is understood to be of interest to Liverpool and Everton, is also 25 and Pochettino prefers to pursue players that are younger.

#BoufalWatch

John Percy ‏@JPercyTelegraph

Stoke have agreed a fee of £13million with #lfc for Joe Allen. More to follow @TeleFootball #scfc

paul joyce ‏@pjoyceexpress

Allen has prefers a return to Swansea, but Stoke only club to agree a fee with Liverpool so far. fee could eventually rise to £13.5m

Edited by SuperSAINT

Stoke have agreed a fee of £13million with #lfc for Joe Allen. More to follow @TeleFootball #scfc

Allen has prefers a return to Swansea, but Stoke only club to agree a fee with Liverpool so far. fee could eventually rise to £13.5m

£13m is a lot of money for Allen!

#bulletdodged

Just the sort of thing you want to read about a new signing.......

Stoke are seemingly starting to get desperate. I wouldn't say Allen is worth that, even in this climate.

Stoke are seemingly starting to get desperate. I wouldn't say Allen is worth that, even in this climate.

He's worth whatever they want to pay, I guess. It's expensive for a year left on his contract but Liverpool know a few teams want him so I suppose it drives his price up.

He had a good euros and is only 26.

Gaston's agent wants bloody knighting.

How the hell has he convinced Boro to pay him £70k a week after just 4 good months of football in England in 4 years (in the championship).

Well I'd suppose that those 4 months showed that he has something to offer at least for Boro. I'd also expect the figure to be

overquoted as well.

REDS AGREE WIJNALDUM FEE

Liverpool have agreed a £25m deal with Newcastle United for midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum, according to Sky sources.

Mane, Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino, and Wijnaldum. No wonder they sold Ibe. Need to offload Markovic too, surely. Anyway, good options...a lotta names to keep happy though.

Mane, Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino, and Wijnaldum. No wonder they sold Ibe. Need to offload Markovic too, surely. Anyway, good options...a lotta names to keep happy though.

I like the fact that they had Lallana/Coutinho/Firmino & yet still went out and got Mane & Wijnaldum. Seems smart to me. Lots of options of Klopp to choose from.

I like the fact that they had Lallana/Coutinho/Firmino & yet still went out and got Mane & Wijnaldum. Seems smart to me. Lots of options of Klopp to choose from.

I don't think many of their fans were worried about their attacking talent at the end of last season. They were definitely complaining about the team defensively with Mignolet/Moreno and Skrtel still getting some games. If this Wijnaldum figures true then they've spent ~£60m on 2 attacking players and only £9m on GK/CB and still stuck with Moreno. Poor business in my eyes.

They will all be happy being on the bench at some point! It's not as if they have European football and need a massive squad. One or two of those will probably want to leave in January or before the end of this window.

Good signing by Liverpool in Wijnamdum. One player i was hoping we might have been able to get after Newcastle's relegation. Though wonder if the signing makes Markovic surplus to requirements at Liverpool. If so might not be the worst signing at all for Saints. Misused by Rodgers but clearly talented & young.

Klavan probably just replaces Toure as 4th choice, to be fair.

Which is the problem, a like for like replacement of their 4th choice CB isn't going to improve them. If they want to do better than 8th, they need someone better than Lovren and Sakho. It would be like us when we got promoted, replacing Guly with Craig Mickail-Smith. Not going to help.

Liverpool spend a lorra lorra money with very little to show for it.

Klopp's only had part of two transfer windows so far and from the outside looks like he's doing a good job of clearing out some of the dross he inherited along with smart buys. I think, finally, we will start seeing Liverpool on their way back to former glories.

Which is the problem, a like for like replacement of their 4th choice CB isn't going to improve them. If they want to do better than 8th, they need someone better than Lovren and Sakho. It would be like us when we got promoted, replacing Guly with Craig Mickail-Smith. Not going to help.

Let's count ourselves lucky they decided not to, as you know they would have gone for Van Dijk!