• Clasie
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Long
    • Højbjerg
    • Austin
    • Martina

That papers over the cracks of Puels formation and selection.

Redmond in the centre of the three up top is laughable, long and austin tracking back on the left is ridiculous.

Cedric is absolutely garbage his crossing is woeful.

And Why drop austin in the first place as well as Martina

Redmond is doing everything right and getting in some great positions, but just his finishing is letting him down (big time). However there's enough there to keep faith in the experiment.

One thing I really, really didn't like today was our mentality for the last 20 minutes. We went so defensive and almost gave up on going for a second (which nearly cost us but for Forster). Hope it's just a case of wanting that first win on the board and not suggestive of how we'll play in future when we get a slim lead.

We won that is all that matters especially after the Euro League game on Thursday I notice Man U did not

It does not matter that some players played better than others because that is what happens until Boufal is fit I think we should start with Long and Redmond and then we can bring on Austin and JRod against a tiring team I am sure Long and Redmond will score goals in the future

Redmond in the centre of the three up top is laughable, long and austin tracking back on the left is ridiculous.

Did you see how knackered Austin was against Prague??

Puel clearly sees a striker in Redmond and he knows a lot more about football than me and I suggest many on here. Redmond reminds me a little of Mane last season in so much as he is getting in the right positions and looks dangerous, but his finishing lets him down.

Having said all that I think Redmond should have gone off for Austin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job, really nice football was played today, felt like we battered them for the majority of the game and everything contrived to keep the ball out of the net. Redmond looks proper class, it's shame he couldn't bury the two golden chances today but he made some excellent runs to get himself into the right positions. He is clearly doing it in training so just needs to break his duck and get confidence and could be fantastic for us. Unfortunately Long should also have buried his chances today and if anyone should get some stick its him as the experienced striker who has had handfuls of goalscoring chances every game. I would like us to start a game with Nathan and Charlie together and see how it plays from the start. bring Long on as the impact striker when they tire like we did early in the season last year.

This post is lol. So clueless.

This the same knackered player that scored today and nearly scored when he came on?

This whole formation is not working and I think the majority of the fan base can see that

I didn't say he was knackered today, he was knackered against Sparta and rightly started on the bench.

The formation wasn't working no, but maybe we are starting to get to grips with it now. We looked good today.

Should have been 2 and possibly 3 if the pen was given, we controlled most of the game but had a mild switch off on 85 mins. First of many wins down, WMO!

4 if you include Redmonds assist incorrectly given for offside.

A solid display by all.

We are improving each game, which for me is the biggest positive I am taking away from this game. It tells me the players are responding positively to Puel and the new formation, even if this forum isn't.

We need to be more clinical but I sense the players have been working on the system that they are over thinking the finish. I think as things improve as a team, the finishing will become more instinctive and the goals will come.

My key take aways..

- Back to back victories will breed confidence.

- Another clean sheet.

- Fonte didn't give away a penalty (although not through lack of trying)

- For all of Redmonds knockers,

- don't underestimate the value of a player who has the confidence to run at the opposition.

- he is still only 21 years old. He is never going to be the finished article.

- Admitingly he does have a tendency to lean back on his shots. Puel should (I hope) knock that out of him.

- Is it just me, or does Austin need to work on his fitness. For all his ability, I'm not sure at the moment he has the ability to last out 90 minutes (diamond formation or otherwise)?

I didn't say he was knackered today, he was knackered against Sparta and rightly started on the bench.

The formation wasn't working no, but maybe we are starting to get to grips with it now. We looked good today.

Knackered..... We are six games in to the season and Austin has played in around three games.

If he is knackered now I dread to see him over Christmas and end of season

I understand that when Long was booked for simulation, it was in fact a decent penalty shout. I also heard that Austin's goal that was ruled offside, should not have been. The refereeing decisions have all gone against us, so we have to play really well to negate them, which we did today.

The first half was fairly 50/50, but we certainly stepped it up in the second and Puel made some effective substitutions that swung the match firmly our way. But for some wayward shooting mainly from Redmond, we could have been out of sight and until Austin scored, it looked as if it was going to be one of those days when nothing went your way. During the second quarter of the match, we were pedestrian, when having won the ball in midfield, we needed to surge upfield in numbers. Instead four or five players strolled along as if they were out for a Sunday walk in the park. I sincerely hope that Puel read them the riot act at half time, as that was clearly unacceptable.

We did come out in the second half on the front foot, closed Swansea down to win the ball and made some good movement and more incisive passing and with the pressure mounting, we created some much better chances. Højbjerg for Clasie was a good change which shored up the midfield and Martina added good protection for Cedric and helped neutralise Moreno, who had been a threat down our right against Tadic and Cedric. But the most effective substitution of all was of course Austin. It becomes clearer with each match that we need two strikers, Austin with either Long/Redmond/Rodriguez and probably Redmond playing out wide instead of up front.

Early days in the season, but we have now started to put together some form and the arrival of Boufal can only be a massive boost if he can provide the additional sort of guile and trickery that we also have from Tadic, but also add some goals too.

For all those who decried our inability to beat Watford at home, they obviously can't be as bad as some made out, having now thrashed West Ham and beaten Man Utd convincingly.

Things are starting to click. We haven't played badly this season, the return of 2 pts from the initial 4 games was not reflective of the performances.

Lot of positives today. Romeu MOTM for me, looked very solid and used the ball well. Davis, Tadic, Bertrand, all excellent, Jose & Vvd very comfortable all day. Redmond will have nightmares about that miss, but he is showing signs of becoming a very decent footballer.

Overall, We defended well, good pressing and some sweet movement & passing, good to watch. And Boufal still to come in

Knackered..... We are six games in to the season and Austin has played in around three games.

If he is knackered now I dread to see him over Christmas and end of season

Did you see him just before he went off against Sparta? He's not accustomed to this style of play, but he was fading fast in the game. Starting from the bench was the right call today.

Did you see him just before he went off against Sparta? He's not accustomed to this style of play, but he was fading fast in the game. Starting from the bench was the right call today.

Yeah I know he is not accustomed to this play because he is playing left wing when he is a centre forward

Things are starting to click. We haven't played badly this season, the return of 2 pts from the initial 4 games was not reflective of the performances.

Lot of positives today. Romeu MOTM for me, looked very solid and used the ball well. Davis, Tadic, Bertrand, all excellent, Jose & Vvd very comfortable all day. Redmond will have nightmares about that miss, but he is showing signs of becoming a very decent footballer.

Overall, We defended well, good pressing and some sweet movement & passing, good to watch. And Boufal still to come in

Agree with that.

Yeah I know he is not accustomed to this play because he is playing left wing when he is a centre forward

He's not playing left wing at all but in a narrow diamond the forwards will have to get used to tracking back a little. Anyway, he played well. My point to you was that him being on the bench was the right call imo.

He's the left sided striker in a diamond formation where the strikers are expected to track back down the wings. He was still able to get in several scoring positions in this formation on Thursday and today. Puel is clearly going to persevere with this formation, and it's starting to click, so why are you and others constantly banging on about playing a formation with a centre forward, when that's not going to happen any time soon. It's pointless.

I thought we played really well today tbh, some great moves and some fantastic openings which should have been put away. I'd be more concerned if we weren't creating opportunities, but we are - should have been 3/4 at least today.

I would like to see Austin used as our main focal striker, with Redmond/Jay/Long as the support forward, running the channels and doing the leg work. Romeu had a good game again, he's finally getting his form back after a slow start to the season. We kept swansea at bay most of the match and we dominated it through the middle. There wasn't much wrong with us today, it would have been damn right unlucky had we not won that - but we did, and we can start moving now.

Redmond is getting better & better with his all round game , he played well today . Yes , his finishing was poor today , but he hasn't missed chance after chance every game ala long . Give the guy a break .

Austin can't start every game , only games where we'll see plenty of the ball around the opposing arra . Away at City or Liverpool it'll be like playing with 10.

Good management today , spot on tactics , good substituations and game management. I've got a feeling this guys going to grow on people .

So is the formation wrong or is it the fact that we are not converting the chances the system is creating?

Certainly the last two league games we should have won reasonably comfortably but for some poor finishing by long and Redmond. It will be interesting to see who gets dropped to accommodate Boufal let's hope it's not Charlie!!

Romeu my MOTM moved it quicker nothing rash great saving clearance at the end. Davis Romeu and Sjojberg are our best midfield. Tadic wide suits him .

Was pleased to see the Martina change some good sense there.

Long was the correct substitution he was poor looks knackered and no spring in his legs. Can't buy a goal.

Redmond was very good up to that miss and a great cross for Austin to miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a reason Redmond's finishing was poor, everyone knows what it is!

I feel sorry for him actually, give him a run out wide where he is more comfortable and play Austin/Long down the middle.

Why oh why you bring on a proven goal scorer and have him play on the left of the three when the one who is centre of the three is a natural winger is beyond logic.

October 5-13.

and there's another in November FFS.

November 9-17

TBF FFS if it wasn't for these international breaks the season would finish a hell of a lot sooner than it does. Either that or no football would be played at all on the international weekends ffs.

Why oh why you bring on a proven goal scorer and have him play on the left of the three when the one who is centre of the three is a natural winger is beyond logic.

He played him in a position that enabled to score & miss a sitter . Your criticism is only valid if our formation didn't produce any chances for him . Christ the manager can't win . He plays s formation where we miss 2 sitters & another easy chance , win & people still know better .

I thought Redmond was good today, one of our better players throughout.

Weak points in my opinion Fonte and Soares, no competition for CB position though.

Only moan is how negative large sections of our support are, moaning all first half, singing for players not playing, groaning when certain players give the ball away, fee even booed at half time. Ridiculous.

Good win, good week. But the lack of striker (or lack of playing a striker) means that when we dominate crap teams, like today, they're always going to be in the game.

What more does Charlie have to do to be recognised as a striker? Score two every match?