• Clasie
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Long
    • Højbjerg
    • Austin
    • Martina

So is the formation wrong or is it the fact that we are not converting the chances the system is creating?

Certainly the last two league games we should have won reasonably comfortably but for some poor finishing by long and Redmond. It will be interesting to see who gets dropped to accommodate Boufal let's hope it's not Charlie!!

Today the formation was spot on. 4-3-3 has always suited us and we've tended to dominate 9 out of 10 games at home with it. The only problem was Redmond being the striker in an obvious 4-3-3 and not being able to hit a barn door..

Really enjoyed the performance today. We are starting to look really fluid and once we add Boufal into the mix of options up front we will terrorise some teams. Romeu was very good again, VVD is just wonderful to watch and Tadic linked the play superbly. Excellent finish from Austin. We could have scored more but 1 was enough.

Only real negative was the absolute whoppers singing Austin's name after Redmond missed. That was seriously out of order; we should be chanting Redmond's name there to encourage him.

I feel very pleased for Puel. Hopefully people will now realise what he is trying to do and how pleasing on the eye our football will be.

Good job, really nice football was played today, felt like we battered them for the majority of the game and everything contrived to keep the ball out of the net. Redmond looks proper class, it's shame he couldn't bury the two golden chances today but he made some excellent runs to get himself into the right positions. He is clearly doing it in training so just needs to break his duck and get confidence and could be fantastic for us. Unfortunately Long should also have buried his chances today and if anyone should get some stick its him as the experienced striker who has had handfuls of goalscoring chances every game. I would like us to start a game with Nathan and Charlie together and see how it plays from the start. bring Long on as the impact striker when they tire like we did early in the season last year.

Er, not being picky, but didn't Redmond break his duck first game?

Cant see any mention here of Fraser Forsters save.

Where I was sat it was a certain goal until he made, what seemed to be, an outstanding save.

Thought we dominated possession and chances and should have won by more - but didn't

Cracking save , luckily the strike didn't have much venom on it..but it was still a very good save. We are quite lucky that we weren't punished having been opened up completely by Swansea for that opportunity

1 goal = 3 points. and a first League win. Swansea looked very unconvincing and showed little adventure.

We had enough chances to have scored 3 or 4 . Gave us a nervous last few minutes, but we got past the post in the end and moved up the table a few places.

Lots of possession and good defensive play, but we really do miss those regular Pelle / Mane goals..... and the top six looks a long way away ....atm.

Just got back from the game, my thoughts:

Decent performance, team were more cohesive, created some very good chances, 3-0 would not have flattered us.

Nobody was poor, for me Tadic shaded m.o.m. Over Romeou and vvd.

I think Redmond will be a very good player for us, out on the wing, using his pace. He is not, and does not look like a striker. The whole stadium can see that except Claude! Austin IS a goal scorer, however, to me, he did not look fit, certainly not fit enough to play a whole match.

Subs were all successful, manager got them spot on.

Martina proving versatile playing right midfield, I'm glad we kept him, he's decent cover.

A solid 7.5/10 all round performance by the boys today, satisfying result, good for Fraser with two clean sheets this week.

Promising.

Best performance of the season. Loads of encouraging signs - we are creating lots of chances, our passing, when it is fast and on the ground is very nice to watch. Clean sheet was well earned by all of the back 5. We started pressing when they had the ball - something we hadn't previously done this season. The midfield worked as a unit for the first time. Shame for Redmond that he missed two excellent chances, but he got into great positions and on another day he would have scored one or two. Similar for Long and Austin, but Redmond's misses will get more attention because they were sitters. Great adjustment from CA to control and strike from the deflected shot for the goal.

The regular routing of the ball around the defence while we are effectively taking a breather is the issue for me at the moment. We often seem to struggle to find a way to get the ball upfield after this type of passage of play, and can slow the movement of the ball down too much. We look a much better side when the ball is moved quickly. If we can get the transition from the possession game at the back to the attacking play up front sorted we will pose a threat to most teams this season.

That papers over the cracks of Puels formation and selection.

Redmond in the centre of the three up top is laughable, long and austin tracking back on the left is ridiculous.

Cedric is absolutely garbage his crossing is woeful.

And Why drop austin in the first place as well as Martina

Nothing wrong with the team selection today, we were as dominant as we've been so far this season, we created the most chances to date and it was far and away the most complete performance under Puel's reign. While I'd prefer to see Austin leading the line ahead of Redmond (who should have bagged a brace), there's no way the former can play 2 games in 3 days - he visibly tired just 20 minutes after his introduction today! Austin wasn't 'dropped', Puel was simply utilising the squad. And to call Cedric garbage is just ridiculous...

I thought we played really well today tbh, some great moves and some fantastic openings which should have been put away. I'd be more concerned if we weren't creating opportunities, but we are - should have been 3/4 at least today.

I would like to see Austin used as our main focal striker, with Redmond/Jay/Long as the support forward, running the channels and doing the leg work. Romeu had a good game again, he's finally getting his form back after a slow start to the season. We kept swansea at bay most of the match and we dominated it through the middle. There wasn't much wrong with us today, it would have been damn right unlucky had we not won that - but we did, and we can start moving now.

Just got back from the game, my thoughts:

Decent performance, team were more cohesive, created some very good chances, 3-0 would not have flattered us.

Nobody was poor, for me Tadic shaded m.o.m. Over Romeou and vvd.

I think Redmond will be a very good player for us, out on the wing, using his pace. He is not, and does not look like a striker. The whole stadium can see that except Claude! Austin IS a goal scorer, however, to me, he did not look fit, certainly not fit enough to play a whole match.

Subs were all successful, manager got them spot on.

Martina proving versatile playing right midfield, I'm glad we kept him, he's decent cover.

A solid 7.5/10 all round performance by the boys today, satisfying result, good for Fraser with two clean sheets this week.

Promising.

Nice summaries and pretty much how I saw it. Felt like there were a lot of positives to take from today and as both have mentioned, 3-0 wouldn't have flattered us. If we can get 3 points at West Ham on Sunday (not overly concerned about the EFL Cup), then things will start to look even better.

Anybody seen a replay of the Shane Long booking? It really didn't look like simulation to me, but I was a long way from it.

It was right in front of me . It looked like Shane dived over the outstretched leg . Seen them given , but I thought he went a bit early and should have stayed on his feet slightly longer and he may have got it . I maybe wrong as it happened quickly , but I'd have been gutted had it been given against us. Refs clearly have marked him down as a diver/ exaggerator as he never gets a thing

Really enjoyed the performance today. We are starting to look really fluid and once we add Boufal into the mix of options up front we will terrorise some teams. Romeu was very good again, VVD is just wonderful to watch and Tadic linked the play superbly. Excellent finish from Austin. We could have scored more but 1 was enough.

Only real negative was the absolute whoppers singing Austin's name after Redmond missed. That was seriously out of order; we should be chanting Redmond's name there to encourage him.

I feel very pleased for Puel. Hopefully people will now realise what he is trying to do and how pleasing on the eye our football will be.

Yep, an honorable mention to those pilchards, no need for that what so ever.

Let's hope Charlie Austin is finally starting to force himself into Puel's plans. 2 games, 3 goals and it looks like he's on a bit of a roll.

He does seem to have some odd critics on here, do they want us to score goals or not? If you don't pick Austin then who else is going to step up to the plate? JRod? Maybe. Redmond? Long? I don't think so.

Also so what if he's only lasting 40 mins?

If he sticks one or two in the net in that time and blows out then sub him for someone who runs a lot. We've got lots of then but only 1 natural finisher. Also if you pick Austin regularly his fitness and sharpness should improve.

I'd build around him, feed his strengths and the goals will flow.

The regular routing of the ball around the defence while we are effectively taking a breather is the issue for me at the moment. We often seem to struggle to find a way to get the ball upfield after this type of passage of play, and can slow the movement of the ball down too much. We look a much better side when the ball is moved quickly. If we can get the transition from the possession game at the back to the attacking play up front sorted we will pose a threat to most teams this season.

That is an interesting observation.

Have the fitness levels to be properly involved for more than 40mins.

Surely, and this will come. Let's not forget that it is not so long ago that he has been recovering from a serious injury. Like JayRod, his playing time back to full fitness has to be managed. Meanwhile, only you seem to be unhappy with his goals to minute ratio.

Has to be Austin and one of Redmond/Long now. Can't be the latter two.

Agree but Austin just doesn't look fit enough yet for some reason he is huffing and puffing just 20 mins after coming on today and after starting Thursday we need a fit Austin and Boufal to recover to add the final touches to some neat and clever play and a good defence

Surely, and this will come. Let's not forget that it is not so long ago that he has been recovering from a serious injury. Like JayRod, his playing time back to full fitness has to be managed. Meanwhile, only you seem to be unhappy with his goals to minute ratio.

Where have I said I'm unhappy with his goals/minutes ratio? Why have you made that up?

How long do we have to wait for Austin to get up to full fitness?

League Goals= Redmond 1, Austin 1, Rodriguez 1. Shut up.

Right. If we're going to play the stats game then let's do it properly

All competitions:

Austin 3 goals - a penalty he won himself - a marginally offside goal in 217 total minutes

Redmond 1 goal - 470 minutes played

Most goals in a PL season:

Austin 18 goals

Redmond 6 goals

Most officials assists in a PL season:

Austin 5 assists

Redmond 3 assists

Be quiet.

It was right in front of me . It looked like Shane dived over the outstretched leg . Seen them given , but I thought he went a bit early and should have stayed on his feet slightly longer and he may have got it . I maybe wrong as it happened quickly , but I'd have been gutted had it been given against us. Refs clearly have marked him down as a diver/ exaggerator as he never gets a thing

tbf our Schlong is a crafty one, he's the absolute master of buying a foul .... just wish his first touch was as good

Where have I said I'm unhappy with his goals/minutes ratio? Why have you made that up?

How long do we have to wait for Austin to get up to full fitness?

Austin played almost the full game against Prague and hasn't been responsible for chasing the opposition full back in his career until now. No other manager he's played under has been stupid enough to give him a role in a side that involves it.

I wouldn't give the likes of Ibrahimovich, Costa etc a role that involved burning energy and getting frustrated chasing the opposition full back either. A player like Austin needs to be at striker at all times, in the mix in the box and not wasting energy on the wing or chasing back defending.

Austin played almost the full game against Prague and hasn't been responsible for chasing the opposition full back in his career until now. No other manager he's played under has been stupid enough to give him a role in a side that involves it.

I wouldn't give the likes of Ibrahimovich, Costa etc a role that involved burning energy and getting frustrated chasing the opposition full back either. A player like Austin needs to be at striker at all times, in the mix in the box and not wasting energy on the wing or chasing back defending.

Not sure if you've quoted the wrong post there, none of your post responds to my questions.

Just for the LOL . first result. THE FA WOMEN'S PREMIER LEAGUE - SOUTHERN DIVISION

Show last 5 matches and coverage Fixture Kick-off Status

Show

Coventry Ladies

8-1

Portsmouth Ladies Full time

Show

Lewes Ladies

1-6

Tottenham Ladies Full time

Show

Swindon Town Ladies

0-3

Charlton Ladies Full time

Show

West Ham Ladies

0-4

Crystal Palace Ladies Full time

Not sure if you've quoted the wrong post there, none of your post responds to my questions.

It is related to the fitness comment. He isn't necessarily short of fitness is what I'm getting at. He's just playing a different role to what he's used to, which makes him less effective than he should be and it's taking a lot out of him. Despite this he has scored 3 goals in 2 games (and had the ball in the back of the net 4 times, plus hit the bar).

We won, it's all that matters. Nathan Redmond as a striker however......................................

...worked very well.

We wouldn't have created anywhere near as many chances without him... though at times he Fabrice Fernandesed us out of a number of other breakaway opportunities. And yeah, missed a couple of sitters, but it happens.

The way Redmond and Austin worked together suggested some Austin-specific training happened late this week - Austin wasn't being asked to track back as much, and a few times he made an early run up the wing to create space for Redmond to get the ball behind him, and then Austin pulled away into the box to be in front of goal where he's of most use. Whether Austin has the legs to do that for an hour or so rather than just the last part of the game is the next question, but if we choose to use him as a late sub in all matches rather than a starter in either Prem or Europa, that could work too.

Edited by The9

It is related to the fitness comment. He isn't necessarily short of fitness is what I'm getting at. He's just playing a different role to what he's used to, which makes him less effective than he should be and it's taking a lot out of him. Despite this he has scored 3 goals in 2 games (and had the ball in the back of the net 4 times, plus hit the bar).

Yeah, I know all that, was just wondering why you'd quoted my post, don't worry though.

He's fine sprinting 10 yards in the box, not so hot on chasing full-backs 30 yards and then running 50 to the opposing area. Great finisher, but don't expect him to do everything else. Not that there's anything wrong with that in many situations.

He dived.

Looking straight at it from Block 41 - he made sure he fell over the outstretched leg of the defender who hadn't played the ball and was impeding his ability to get the ball as the ball was running out of play, not sure if there was contact, but there doesn't need to be.

Right. If we're going to play the stats game then let's do it properly

All competitions:

Austin 3 goals - a penalty he won himself - a marginally offside goal in 217 total minutes

Redmond 1 goal - 470 minutes played

Most goals in a PL season:

Austin 18 goals

Redmond 6 goals

Most officials assists in a PL season:

Austin 5 assists

Redmond 3 assists

Be quiet.

My god you really are being a ****ing mong. It isn't a competition between Redmond and Austin, they both add something different, yes you can actually have them both playing at once!!! if anything I think they should be played together. But arguing that Redmond can't be a striker is just plain stupid and smacks of ignorance when he has only had 5 games as a striker and in that time he has scored a decent goal and set up a good number of chances.

Look loads of thick ******s used to insist the world was flat until someone went and had a proper look. Lets have a proper look at Redmond shall we and trust the experts that see something in him. Believe it or not even Ronaldo sometimes misses a good chance.

I just find it utterly shocking that our fans won't support a young player that has amazing potential and are happy enough to condemn him after 5 games whilst whinging like a little ***** about everything else they can. Utterly ridiculous expectations and massive arrogance to think they know better.

As for your stats that you are so smug about, what is your point? Mine was to disprove the comment that Redmond isn't a striker. He has scored a goal whilst playing as a striker, its not a debate or a competition it's a fact. But so you know just as a simple comparison your stats are bloody stupid and ill thought out, one of them is 27 and the other is 21. One of them has plied his trade as a striker for many seasons, the other for 5 games. You may as well have compared Redmonds stats to Ibramovich for all it means.

and yes I am happy to be quiet, there's more interesting conversations to be had with brick walls.

Edited by Mallagroth

Only moan is how negative large sections of our support are, moaning all first half, singing for players not playing, groaning when certain players give the ball away, fee even booed at half time. Ridiculous.

God, so much this. ****ing hell, we really do have some absolute ****s as "fans".

God, so much this. ****ing hell, we really do have some absolute ****s as "fans".

Exactly this! Trouble is, it's easy to be negative and the sky/football manager generation want to either reboot the game to win or just expect to be Man Utd. Unfortunately the Dave Jones era started 19 years ago and we haven't played at the Dell for 16 years, so that's a huge generation gap that doesn't appreciate the 'position' of Saints in the football pyramid. Christ, it's now over 11 years ago we were relegated FFS.

Exactly this! Trouble is, it's easy to be negative and the sky/football manager generation want to either reboot the game to win or just expect to be Man Utd. Unfortunately the Dave Jones era started 19 years ago and we haven't played at the Dell for 16 years, so that's a huge generation gap that doesn't appreciate the 'position' of Saints in the football pyramid. Christ, it's now over 11 years ago we were relegated FFS.

Thing is near me is a few moany old bastards who have no excuse as 50/60+. Simple to think it is a new breed of fan but genuinely just think some just don't want to be happy. Just look at this place and imagine sitting near some of those cnts.