Chelsea Build-up

Wimborne_saint

Will be a tough game if they play like they did last weekend. Hopefully have Bertrand back for this, but can't see boufal starting after playing full 90 tonight.

Forster

Martina Fonte VVD Bertrand

Romeu

Davis Hojbjerg

Tadic

Austin Redmond

Team picks itself. What is key is that only Fonte played 90 mins last night. If Bertrand isn't fit, have to add McQueen, but he's on cloud nine and could probably play every day.

That's where we'll hopefully reap the benefits of Puel's brave selection and rotation, something missing last season as Koeman would not have trusted the Academy players.

Now we have a fresh team for a big game, and the likes of Reed, Olomola and Stephens have gained valuable experience.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Be interesting to see our front three against their back three, worked against Man City but they lacked width and really didn't want to knock it long whereas Moses in particular gives them the width and I think Costa will be more of a handful if they knock it long.

They were very good last week, but at home I feel we can beat anyone. Whilst I'd take a draw I feel we need some wins to keep progressing up the table after our slow start.

I see we have Mike Jones on the whistle for this one, think he was the one fell foul of what looked like a school boy prank when a Saints player was doing up his boot laces as he was walking backwards didn't see the Saints player and fell over him. Might have been up at Sunderland.

He went down like a sack of sh it when Sissoko caught him with a flick (nowhere near the assault on Arter last week) up at Newcastle 3 years ago. This was the game when our deranged former Argie kicked their Goalie coach in the nads.

At least Lawro now thinks we're a benchmark for prospective league winners... 'beat Saints at St.Marys = title contenders'... You can't beat a good old fashioned back handed compliment :)

Strangely that old soak Merson says the same thing

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15205/10634034/paul-mersons-predictions-chelsea-to-drop-points-man-city-to-bounce-back

I'm picking a draw but if Chelsea do manage to get a win at St Mary's, you need to put them back up as contenders.

weird how beating saints has now become a benchmark for a title winning team. ....

Weirdly in my mind, this is one of those games where a loss wouldn't be devastating. Chelsea are improving and have quality players, but as we've shown recently (not least last Sunday) we're well capable of giving anyone a game. With our strongest available team,, I think we could get a point from this game, which would be a very good result. A win would be massive.

I'll predict an entertaining 1-1. The line up 100%Saint said above is probably correct, although with Martina in for Cedric.

Strangely that old soak Merson says the same thing

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15205/10634034/paul-mersons-predictions-chelsea-to-drop-points-man-city-to-bounce-back

I'm picking a draw but if Chelsea do manage to get a win at St Mary's, you need to put them back up as contenders.

weird how beating saints has now become a benchmark for a title winning team. ....

So if we beat them are we on of the title ?

Real dilemma for Puel, if he starts Bertrand he will have to allow for the possibility of him breaking down and McQueen coming on as sub yet ideally as he is allowed only three subs, he'll not want to waste one sub on a full back.

Normally he would want to sub 2 strikers and a mid-fielder or two midfielders and a striker depending upon how the match is going. Don't be surprised if he feels it's a gamble not worth taking. Almost certainly he'll want to use Boufal and Hojberg (you know who I mean) at some stage in the second half and Rodrigues's pace up front. There's the dilemma, which option will he have to ditch if a plan A with Ryan fails.

This one gives me a good feeling and sense we might even win at a canter... 3-1 for me.

Chelsea FC ‏@ChelseaFC

Conte says Southampton are very strong and he is impressed with the offensive football they play. Conte notes their performance at Man City last weekend was excellent. He says it will be a 'good test' for his team. Conte: 'This test is different. We are playing away against a team in good shape. It's a big test for our ambition.' #CFC

Looks like JRod and Bertrand are unlikely to be considered so McQueen at LB. Probably a good idea to use Boufal as an impact sub. Interesting that no-one's really considering that Hojberg should start before Clasie. Mustn't let Chelsea get a sniff of an early goal. We have the best CB partnership in the league so hopefully they will keep Costa quiet. Would hate him, of all people, to get the upper hand.

I'd like to see Boufal start, but would prefer him to come on for the last 20 minutes...purely to see him tear it up against Ivanovic and Cahill on the right side of the Chelsea defence.

They now seem to play with a 3 at back Cahill, Luiz and Azpilicueta - Ivanovic doesn't get in the team.

I'd like to see Boufal start, but would prefer him to come on for the last 20 minutes...purely to see him tear it up against Ivanovic and Cahill on the right side of the Chelsea defence.

Tadic on the bench Boufal to start, hope he has a storming first half, then around 55-60 mins change up to Tadic, because Tadic will come on with a Bee in his bonnet, when he has a point to prove he is verging on unplayable with all his little tricks and feints............... That said they both know their way to goal playing both of them could be a giggle,.. Might need the midfield to be right on their game though.

Tadic on the bench Boufal to start, hope he has a storming first half, then around 55-60 mins change up to Tadic, because Tadic will come on with a Bee in his bonnet, when he has a point to prove he is verging on unplayable with all his little tricks and feints............... That said they both know their way to goal playing both of them could be a giggle,.. Might need the midfield to be right on their game though.

Imagine a front three of Boufal, Tadic and Redman, a la Barcelona, now that would be mouth watering!

At the risk of sounding negative I think we'll lose our home record with this one. Chelsea are excellent at the moment And have no Euro distractions, that said I don't think it'll be easy for them. My main worry is that we don't score many goals and as such we will often struggle against this kind of threat (Not reading too much into City as they are having problems) Perhaps Boufals arrival will raise our goals/games ratio though so you never know. COYR!!

I think it's time to stop fearing the opposition. Why should Saints not be confident of winning? Saints are on form, have a great defence and play fluid attacking football with some unpredictability. Chelsea should be worried...as I suspect most managers secretly are.

Imagine a front three of Boufal, Tadic and Redman, a la Barcelona, now that would be mouth watering!

I don't know, they are all the same type of player. Small, quick, and attack from outside to in. I am a fan of always having one "in the box" type guy (Austin, Pelle, etc) along with them. They add a different skill and dimension. The play physical in the box, are dangerous in the air, play hold up well, and in general always need to be directly marked or its going in the goal. If everyone is Redmon or Boufal, more attacking mids in my view, the defense doesn't need worry about crosses much, nor anything happening closer in. The play will always be out to in (if that makes sense). I think Austin keeps the D honest, and opens up more lanes for Tadic/Redmon/Boufal. Just my opinion.

Could the diamond be even more beneficial against Chelseas 3-5-2? More space opens up. Im cautiously optimistic about tomorrow and have a feeling Redmond is gonna have a good night.

West Ham got at them down the wings, on the Chelsea forums they're worried about being exploited again by the wide players.