Saints 1 Liverpool 0 - Meltdown Thread

St Chalet

MotM vs Liverpool (LC SF 1st Leg H)  

415 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (LC SF 1st Leg H)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • van Dijk
    • Clasie
    • Romeu
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Rodriguez
    • Højbjerg
    • Long
    • Ward-Prowse

What ever happens next leg. Surely everyone can be proud of the lads tonight probably our best performance of the season. If only we had a goal scorer upfront .

That really is the difference isn't it, not just tonight but this season. With a quality striker we would probably have won by 2 or more, with half foot into Wembley, not to mention very probably still in the EL and further up the table. All the crap about the squad not being good enough, and Puel not having a clue. We are one quality striker away from a very good team (and manager I believe).

Over to you Mr. Reed.

Not seen a more sided referring display since that clown against Leeds a few years back! Took Smalldick 29 mins to actually to give us the first free kick with only 2 more in the first half!! & then how does he not book the Liverpool player for the blatant body check on Romeu?

Talking of Romeu - that was a monster performance - loved the full blooded tackle on Niveaboy :)

You missed all the interceptions, blocks , foot ins, destroying of attacks he did tonight.

He isn't a ping it 40 yards but a disrupt. Read pass it simple player.

Was very good alongside Romeu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, must've done. Certainly tried to pay attention to him in the first half and while he did a few smart simple passes, I noticed him failing to get a foot in and not being quick to loose balls. I've never expected him to ping 40 yard passes, but doesn't have the energy or tenacity I would hope for. I remember him doing well towards the end, wriggling out of a sticky situation and playing a decent pass. But equally I recall him going in for tackles and having nothing to show for it, in contrast I kept noticing Romeu popping up and emerging with the ball.

I'd put Clasie in our strongest XI (more accomplished than Hojbjerg but doesn't offer as much going forward), but still think he could be upgraded.

"13.5 In the Semi-Final ties, if the aggregate score is level at the end of the second game an extra half-hour shall be played. If the aggregate scores are still level at the end of extra time the tie shall be decided by goals scored away from home counting twice. If the teams remain equal after this procedure the tie shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the Laws of Association Football."

Ridiculous. Either have away goals count double after 90 minutes, or don't do it at all. If the score is 2-1 or 3-2 to Liverpool after 90 minutes at Anfield, and they go on to win after extra time with another goal, I'm going to be really pissed off. Almost as pissed off as I will be if we don't get a striker in during this window.

Came in late and watched a recording of the match without knowing the result. Good win and a really good effort by Saints but the lack of clinical finishing will make the 2nd leg a lot more difficult. Still, another performance like that at Anfield with some better finishing on the break and Wembley is still possible. Before the game I'd probably have been happy with 1-0. Seems a bit odd to be a little disappointed.

It's games such as that where you can easily see why some people can make the correlation between referees and brown paper envelopes.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Indeed. I think the FA should bring in officials from the NFL and rugby authorities and completely overhaul the system to be honest. Compared to most other sports the decisions you get in football are horrifically bad.

That really is the difference isn't it, not just tonight but this season. With a quality striker we would probably have won by 2 or more, with half foot into Wembley, not to mention very probably still in the EL and further up the table. All the crap about the squad not being good enough, and Puel not having a clue. We are one quality striker away from a very good team (and manager I believe).

Over to you Mr. Reed.

This. Just do it Reed.

Not that simple though is it. Who's going to be selling a goalscorer in january for anything that isn't extortionate? We don't pay huge fees that can't be recouped.

Pretty much the best signing by anyone last January was Charlie Austin, so we need to pull a similar trick again.

Over to you Mr. Reed.

Will buying a striker improve Redmond's finishing? Or Tadic's? Or Davis'? JWP's? Cedric's?

Over to you Mr. Reed.

Are you calling Redmond a striker? He isn't one.

Quite a few people saying how good Clasie was today, I didn't see it. A few neat passes but I find he never seems to win the ball in tackles (unlike Romeu and Schneiderlin who have/had a knack of always getting a foot on the ball). He also doesn't seem to be very quick off the mark to pick up loose balls. Maybe I'm missing something, especially if he did his good work in second half as it was further from where I was sitting and harder to notice! But I'm still unconvinced.

When the team plays as well as it did tonight then it is clear that all the players are doing their job - including Classie, For what its worth i thought that he had a good game. I think that sometimes people see what fits with their prejudices about certain players and miss the reason why they are being selected. For me Classie has not done much wrong this season.

Pretty much the best signing by anyone last January was Charlie Austin, so we need to pull a similar trick again.

Are there any proven goalscorers at struggling championship clubs this year? The only striker I've noticed that I wanted us to sign from there was Gayle, but he won't be cheap by any means...and he only just signed for Newcastle anyway.

Sam Gallagher has 9 goals for struggling Blackburn...just saying.

Are you calling Redmond a striker? He isn't one.

No, but Jrod and Schlong are. How many goals have they got so far this season between them?

No one said it's going to be easy to get one in, but a loan will do for now. Besides, I have no sympathy for Reed if he finds it difficult to find the right player or has to pay over the odds (which he probably won't anyway). Most of us agree it should've been done last summer.

Good point. So basically if they score then we need to score too, and not let them get ahead by more than one goal.

Indeed, 1-0 is the only result for them that will take it to pens after 120 mins. 2-1 or 3-2 take it to ET but no shootout after 120 mins. Shame away goals don't just count like they normally do in Europe for example.

Got to say, I was really happy with that performance last night. A bit of a shame we couldn't score a couple more but nevertheless we played very well.

Redmond was absolutely everywhere and I hope everyone appreciated his tracking back and defensive work rate. He was everywhere and was clearly ****ed when the whistle went. Finishing aside, that was his best performance in a Saints shirt. Thought Classie, Romeu and Jay did well as well.

It's only a slender lead and the pessimist in me still thinks we will go out BUT i'm very happy that we stepped it up. Hopefully they can carry this into the weekend!!

One more thing, I've been quite critical of Puel lately as I was sure he was losing the dressing room but i'm happy to admit I was wrong on that front. That was a team clearly playing for their manager.

Edited by Shance

Wow is how I feel this morning. I went to the game last night fully expecting us to get turned over and we go and produce a complete TEAM performance. Everyone battled out there last night closing down and rarely letting any Liverpool player have too much time on the ball.It is difficult to single out individual performances because this was a team performance....however our man mountain Captain VVD was immense and a complete leader of men out there last night. He was brilliantly assisted by Romeu who has emerged out of the shadow of Wanyama to show what a top player he is.Redmond gets a lot of criticism on here but last night he was a royal pain in the arse for the Liverpool defence....and stood in the Northam his goal was a joy to watch!Must say I thought our fans totally got behind the team tonight and the atmosphere in the Northam end was great with some funny chanting, I particularly liked "we won a free kick, we won a free kick, we are Southampton we won a free kick"....yes that ref really does need his bank account investigating today to see how many deposits from Liverpool he got!!Can we reach our first League Cup Final in almost 40 years.....YES WE CAN, WE ARE SOUTHAMPTON, WE MARCH ON!!

Ow and crowd was fantastic

Eh? Mostly quiet as usual, no special semi-formal atmosphere at all

Ridiculous. Either have away goals count double after 90 minutes, or don't do it at all. If the score is 2-1 or 3-2 to Liverpool after 90 minutes at Anfield, and they go on to win after extra time with another goal, I'm going to be really pissed off. Almost as pissed off as I will be if we don't get a striker in during this window.

Been like that for many years, we'd have won on away goals at Watford in 81 otherwise, only 5-1 down at 90 mins!

How many have we sold for the 2nd leg? Heard last week it was as low as 1k.

Maybe I've read it wrong but when I looked a few days ago the first 3 blocks were unavailable and assumed they were already sold out. If that is the case and along with seats sold in the remaining blocks it would mean over 3k had already gone. Just looked again and block 124 behind the goal is almost gone too now.

http://tickets.saintsfc.co.uk/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/StandAndAreaSelection.aspx?stadium=AN&product=CA16LI&campaign=&type=H&productsubtype=AWAY&productIsHomeAsAway=N

Love your thinking and I totally agree we should of done it.

The thought that some of you seem to think that sending a player on with the sole purpose of seriously injuring another player is fairly damning of the mentality of some football fans. It's pretty shocking really.

For the sake of clarity, what you are both suggesting is a form of cheating and no better (in fact much worse) than simulation, something that I'm sure you don't condone. Why you would want to encourage what is effectively violence from our football team i have no idea. I'd rather we lose with integrity than win by those means.

And it's should "have" done it. Should "of" makes no sense at all.

The thought that some of you seem to think that sending a player on with the sole purpose of seriously injuring another player is fairly damning of the mentality of some football fans. It's pretty shocking really.

For the sake of clarity, what you are both suggesting is a form of cheating and no better (in fact much worse) than simulation, something that I'm sure you don't condone. Why you would want to encourage what is effectively violence from our football team i have no idea. I'd rather we lose with integrity than win by those means.

And it's should "have" done it. Should "of" makes no sense at all.

Somebody's tired ;)

What a great night that was, thought the support was really good too. Definitely given ourselves half a chance which is a massive step up from the 'no chance' we were on 12 hours ago!

When the team plays as well as it did tonight then it is clear that all the players are doing their job - including Classie, For what its worth i thought that he had a good game. I think that sometimes people see what fits with their prejudices about certain players and miss the reason why they are being selected. For me Classie has not done much wrong this season.

Possibly, I'm not immune to subconsciously falling into that trap (though I'll still spell their names right), but I'm not actively looking for a reason to criticise. I thought our central midfield as a whole was looking pretty shaky for the first 20 minutes, Liverpool were coming straight onto our backline with ease, but improved drastically as the game went on.

Quite a few people saying how good Clasie was today, I didn't see it. A few neat passes but I find he never seems to win the ball in tackles (unlike Romeu and Schneiderlin who have/had a knack of always getting a foot on the ball). He also doesn't seem to be very quick off the mark to pick up loose balls. Maybe I'm missing something, especially if he did his good work in second half as it was further from where I was sitting and harder to notice! But I'm still unconvinced.
im with you. He is weak as ****, incredibly slow across the ground and has almost no impact on the game. There were lots of bouncing balls to be contested and he lost all of them. Hojbjerg comes on, first bouncing ball and he wins it. As much as I want Classie to become this great marshalling midfielder, I just think we carry him in far too many games. Missed chances apart, He was the biggest disappointment for me.

Just to counter my negativity, I'd like to say I was excited before the game, and I wasn't disappointed. Really enjoyed it.

Eh? Mostly quiet as usual, no special semi-formal atmosphere at all

So disappointing how so few people want to sing or chant. It's easy to criticise and yet not do anything yourself, so last night I made the effort to join in with the Northam OWTS (was sat in Itchen South) at the top of my lungs in the hope others would join in. Instead I got looks and stares as if I was singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" while waving a Pompey flag.

Loving all the Liverpool 'under-performing' and 'not-turning-up' stuff this morning .. a little bit of credit for our team and our manager please.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Jamie Redknapp make a point of how good we were in the studio last night, also noting how we've not been very good lately, when I was fully expecting him to just focus on Liverpool's performance.

As I walked out of the ground, I said to my mate that I couldn't wait to get back to the car to turn the radio on as I bet they would be saying that they had an eye on the weekend's game with Utd. I was not disappointed. Apparently that was the reason for them being lacklustre last night.

I do wonder how important a win that was for us. Certainly for the team and supporters, but more about if you are in the transfer market and a potential target doesn't know much about us, he would likely turn on to watch. If we were spanked 1-6, you might think that it best to go somewhere else.

Loving all the Liverpool 'under-performing' and 'not-turning-up' stuff this morning .. a little bit of credit for our team and our manager please.

Liverpool performed as well as any team that have been nullified by an exceptional defensive performance. We gave them no space between the defence and midfield which, is where players like AL, Ferminio etc like to operate. I can't remember too many efforts on goal from within the penalty area by them or, us giving away to many free kicks within 25 yards (which shows great discipline).

This is the second time this season that LFC have come away from SMS with no goals that is not just a coincidence.

Special mention for Redmond in so far as his defensive duties - he certainly covered a lot of ground last night. Defensively I think Cedric and Redmond are starting to work very well.

If we show the same desire and discipline at Anfield we will have more than a chance so for me (apart from the 1st 20 mins where we looked edgy and lacking in confidence), same again please.

Got to say, I was really happy with that performance last night. A bit of a shame we couldn't score a couple more but nevertheless we played very well.

Redmond was absolutely everywhere and I hope everyone appreciated his tracking back and defensive work rate. He was everywhere and was clearly ****ed when the whistle went. Finishing aside, that was his best performance in a Saints shirt. Thought Classie, Romeu and Jay did well as well.

It's only a slender lead and the pessimist in me still thinks we will go out BUT i'm very happy that we stepped it up. Hopefully they can carry this into the weekend!!

One more thing, I've been quite critical of Puel lately as I was sure he was losing the dressing room but i'm happy to admit I was wrong on that front. That was a team clearly playing for their manager.

Good post shance , reflects my view