January 18 transfer window

SKD

Notice Wilson's Telegraph piece this evening says

"The final incoming fee from Van Dijk will be around £60 million due to a large sell-on clause to Celtic but that money is being made available to reinvest, even if it is likely to be spread over several transfer windows"

suggesting that those hoping for a couple of big attention-grabbing January signings might wind up disappointed.

No mention of the French based player in that latest article that was meant to be close. Seems like we are primarily looking at loans as can't see us signing some of those permanently if they are now saying we will spend the VVD money over "several" windows.

Don't see how they can really say it's available to invest if it's over that long a period.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Besiktas president on Tosun: “Before Everton, a club from China offered €35 million [about £31 million] for Cenk Tosun. And we said no. He is very valuable player for us".

A few reports saying that another English club were initially quoted €12m for him, which was probably us. But if Benteke's on our list then we must be prepared to spend £30m+, surely?

The VVD transfer fee is predictably dropping daily. Was £75m then £70m now looks more like £65m with Celtic seeing 10%

Also the fan appeasing "transfer raid" has quickly become a sensible and prudent approach to the market.

Begs the question whats happened to the premier league money we received in the summer?

Kats comments about the new owners "taking us to the next level" :lol:

This club is a complete joke

Fee was £75m including around a £5m contingency element and also before the Celtic cut. Take those off plus legal and other gets you to the approx £60m figure.

Breaking news on SSN suggests Walcott favours saints move if he leaves arsenal in this window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BREAKING NEWS

Southampton are favourites to sign Arsenal’s Theo Walcott if the winger leaves the Emirates during the January transfer window, according to Sky sources.

It’s understood the situation is likely to become clearer in the next week with talks expected between the club and Walcott’s representatives although a deal is not imminent.

Walcott may consider wage cut to secure more games ahead of this summer’s World Cup in Russia.

PLUS:

SAINTS UPDATE

In addition, Southampton are not interested in signing Daniel Sturridge and Ryan Sessegnon, according to Sky sources.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/03/southamptonchairman-gives-full-backing-mauricio-pellegrino-despiteperilousproximity/

So...

Walcott - sounds like it could happen but with Giroud injured and some question marks over Sanchez and a heap of games in January including two legs of theLeague Cup semi I can imagine Wenger may want to keep him til near the end of Jan which isn't ideal for us.

Others allegedly wanted:

Benteke - can't see Palace selling to a rival unless for a huge premium, which we won't pay.

Sturridge - would be a great loan if fit but surely if it were going to happen and he is a serious target then we would have tied it to the VVD deal?

Mawson - would need to pay a huge premium for a player who is potential rather than finished article. No way we will pay £25m for him so we won't sign him in January.

Tosun - going to Everton by all accounts and they will pay him more than we could.

Nothing imminent then.

Usually would be amazed we didnt have a striker lined up for Jan 1st like Liverpool did with VVD but then again we are miles better at selling than buying, since Mitchell left anyway.

Also our league position surely makes it difficult as stated here:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11194713/southampton-favourites-to-sign-arsenals-theo-walcott

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/03/southamptonchairman-gives-full-backing-mauricio-pellegrino-despiteperilousproximity/

So...

Walcott - sounds like it could happen but with Giroud injured and some question marks over Sanchez and a heap of games in January including two legs of theLeague Cup semi I can imagine Wenger may want to keep him til near the end of Jan which isn't ideal for us.

Others allegedly wanted:

Benteke - can't see Palace selling to a rival unless for a huge premium, which we won't pay.

Sturridge - would be a great loan if fit but surely if it were going to happen and he is a serious target then we would have tied it to the VVD deal?

Mawson - would need to pay a huge premium for a player who is potential rather than finished article. No way we will pay £25m for him so we won't sign him in January.

Tosun - going to Everton by all accounts and they will pay him more than we could.

Nothing imminent then.

Usually would be amazed we didnt have a striker lined up for Jan 1st like Liverpool did with VVD but then again we are miles better at selling than buying, since Mitchell left anyway.

Also our league position surely makes it difficult as stated here:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11194713/southampton-favourites-to-sign-arsenals-theo-walcott

Nothing surprises me about incoming transfers for Saints. Les Reed is a master of selling quick and buying slow. Was looking at his Wikipedia profile earlier and I must admit I laughed out loud at the fact that the only mention of his time as Director of Football at Fulham (a time when they went from competent mid table side to relegation cannon fodder it would seem) was the fact he’d sold Chris Smalling to Man U for £12 million having signed him for a few tracksuits. Bet that’s on his CV. He’s got form for selling players for high prices to big clubs so it’s no surprise we are declining whilst he remains in charge.

Our top (and only goal scorer) in Austin was injured 10 days before the window opens and it appears we are going to wait all window in the hope of signing a short winger that we will presumably play up front on his own and then proceed to give no service to.

Should obviously have had a number 9 lined up by then after the Fonte/Caceres debacle it’s clear that, despite all the PR guff, there’s no sense of planning at all with a incoming transfers, only as long as we get the best deal financially.

To me, the biggest problem is the fact that we never replaced the goals that Mane and Pelle scored....not having a real goal threat has let down both Puel and MP. Charlie Austin is not the answer.

That was the biggest problem last season. This season it's the the second biggest problem, with a clueless clown of a manager being the biggest.

Puel was allowed to sign Redmond, Boufal and Gabbiadini. Let's not erase history. If he didn't want them he'd have said. He failed to get anywhere near the best from Boufal, sent Gabbiadini rapidly backwards and did ok with redmond.

MP has sent them all further backwards. Mane was brilliant but did have runs without goals, Pelle was decent enough but never scored prolifically. If we'd signed no one I'd get the criticism But we spend big on exactly our type of players. You can't criticism the policy that previously brought us Mane in the first place just because it doesn't work out as well every time.

I can completely see why they went for Hoedt, Lemina, Hojbjerg, Gabbiadini, Boufal. Some take longer to work that others but it'll all depend on management ultimately. If MP had been in charge with Tadic/Pelle/Mane up front we'd still have been ****, he'd still have changed it every game, still have had them passing backwards and off form.

Puel didn't buy them. Boufal was injured when he came in, Gabbi only came in belatedly in January (and made a massive difference which showed what was missing for half a season, and then got injured which sent him "rapidly backwards"). Not to mention Fonte leaving in January, and VVD and Austin being injured for half the season each. Let's not re-write history

When will Reed and Co. realise that we are able to sell high because of the market and that market means we have to buy high and cannot just choose a ceiling price and then target players below that??? Obviously we are never going to attract a 40-50m player (unless it goes completely mad!!!) but we must be looking in the 20-30m bracket NOW. Palace, WHU, Everton, have all signed players of that level and above. As more and more clubs expand their stadiums we are going backwards all the time by continuing what was working. The best businesses adapt and are flexible enough to react to market changes quickly. The market place has accelerated and our inept leaders (who are not leaders in my eyes) just don't get it and are still catching up it seems. Or maybe they will finally prove us all wrong.....:lol::lol::lol:

We are up there for wages, value of squad etc. People slag players off but we blatantly have a top half squad here, at least, they've all proven it.

Fans seem to think signings fix everything. I'd love a couple of decent additions under the right manager, but right now it just means wasted money.

When 20+ players are underperforming, why exactly would the new signing come in and perform??

Just because the team is not functioning doesn't mean the whole squad are always underperforming -if you don't have the right qualities in the right places it doesn't matter if they all perform to their best.

If we are to persist with the 4-2-3-1 formation IMO we need a Pelle or Lambert type to lead the attack - at the moment we don't have any striker in that mould. We have Long (can't score), Austin (can't play) and Gabbiadini (can't be arsed) - none of these are suited to the lone striker role even at their best.

Also, ideally, a decent squad has two players for every position which means we should have 6 to play the attacking midfield roles - at the moment we have Redmond, Tadic, Boufal and Davis. I don't see JWP as that sort of player so we are short in strength in depth in those roles which is why they've been flogged to death/rotated to try and find the right formular.

A few good signings in key positions could transform the team IMO.

SSN: Everton have agreed a fee of £27m for Besiktas forward Cenk Tosun, according to Sky sources. The player will travel to Liverpool today to begin his medical.

Is that even allowed? To act quickly and decisively...... Thought you needed to drag negotiations out for weeks?

p.s Hope he has a relegation clause

Yep, everyone could see Everton were going to be short of goals post Lukaku but i suspect fat sam was on it straight away when he arrived

You spout some rubbish on here mate, everyone knows you need to perfect the terminology of the five pledges before you can address on-field matters.

The side hasn't been balanced since Pelle left. We are much better with Charlie playing - he plays we have a forward outlet and a goal threat, he doesn't and we become cautious and one dimensional. We have been crying out for a striker for over a year and with a decent striker we would be 7th.

Get it sorted FFS

We’ve joined Chelsea in the race to sign Andy Carroll according to The S*n.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5269281/chelsea-andy-carroll-antonio-conte-west-ham/

The link to him and Benteke suggests we are looking for that big target man.

Times article specifically mentioned a targetman.

We're mentioned in this article about Lille defender Ibrahim Amadou too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5231961/Crystal-Palace-eye-deal-Lille-defender-Ibrahim-Amadou.html

Might well be the France-based player we're supposedly after.

Palace after him too. Plays both DC & DMC.

We’ve joined Chelsea in the race to sign Andy Carroll according to The S*n.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5269281/chelsea-andy-carroll-antonio-conte-west-ham/

The link to him and Benteke suggests we are looking for that big target man.

Carrol, Sturridge, Walcott and Austin do we have a surplus of plasters, bandages and deep heat in our medical rooms?

Carrol, Sturridge, Walcott and Austin do we have a surplus of plasters, bandages and deep heat in our medical rooms?
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Either that or it's part of Mr Gao's five pledges and long term investment in the area, is to open the rehabilitation centre for the rich and famous footballers at the sunset of their careers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Either that or it's part of Mr Gao's five pledges and long term investment in the area, is to open the rehabilitation centre for the rich and famous footballers at the sunset of their careers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I think you mean "re-open". Getting in famous footballers at the sunset of their careers worked for Lawrie McMenemy and kept us safely around the bottom of the league (but just out of the relegation places) for years.

In our current predicament I would not grant Olomola's loan to be extended, that much we can make happen.

I would also try to bring Gallagher back. Yes, I know he's on a full season loan, but charity begins at home.

And hopefully Josh Sims is not far off fitness.

Any signings will probably be in the last week of the month so we need to freshen the side until then.

I think you mean "re-open". Getting in famous footballers at the sunset of their careers worked for Lawrie McMenemy and kept us safely around the bottom of the league (but just out of the relegation places) for years.

By just out of the relegation places, do you mean won us the FA Cup, 2nd place in the league and European football?