Forster Situation

Dusic

• 2 months later...

If FF can regain his confidence, and if we can recoup some outlay, then it seems win all round. Even if he goes on to be brilliant (and I hope he does), its still win all round, as he isn't doing anything with us at the moment, nor the foreseeable future with McArthy and Gunn in place.

Maybe we should buy Butland, then sell them Forster. Then sell Butland on. Convoluted I know, but we need to get the chain moving.

We have No/Nil/Zero/ Nada chance of getting Butland to sign for us! I’ve got better odds on me singing with Little Mix!

Stupid decisions in terms of his contract extension and breaking up the defence that made him look good. Fact is it’s not just about his big frame...it’s about his brain not being agile enough to (a) anticipate and (b) react quickly enough. There are plenty of big keepers in the top flight of football, but the really great ones have more than gristle between their ears and/or have an excellent defence organis3d in front them. Forster had neither.

Stupid decisions in terms of his contract extension and breaking up the defence that made him look good. Fact is it’s not just about his big frame...it’s about his brain not being agile enough to (a) anticipate and (b) react quickly enough. There are plenty of big keepers in the top flight of football, but the really great ones have more than gristle between their ears and/or have an excellent defence organis3d in front them. Forster had neither.

Whilst I agree with what you say, he should have the intelligence needed as he went to a Grammar School and I believe I read somewhere that he had a sprinkling of O or A levels.

• 4 weeks later...
WTF does that mean?

McCarthy has made some brilliant contributions this season, the defence has done him no favours at all though.

He is not referring to ability...

He gets all worked up about believes stupid rumours regarding our players leaving and he believes the nonsense about McCarthy going

Please be true. Absolutely awful goalkeeper. Hope Gunn is still keen on us given the McCarthy weirdness

Forster is NOT awful. He hit very bad form but I agree with others. A fresh start in a good Championship club could restore forma and confidence.

However, will Leeds be paying the same wages he is on now?

WTF does that mean?

McCarthy has made some brilliant contributions this season, the defence has done him no favours at all though.

Sorry. I meant the weird story I think in the Mail saying he was on way out. I think McCarthy is excellent and that the story is untrue. Big fan. But if he did get sold, i hope Gunn is in place to step up. That was all.

• 1 year later...

That’s Gunn leaving on loan or a perm if Leeds still interested. Madness to have 3 senior keepers and that small a midfield pool. That’s Les Reed logic for you. Reed, Lemina and Gunn moving will pay for a new CM even with the sponsor debacle, probably the guy from Stuttgart Mangala

1 minute ago, saint1977 said:

That’s Gunn leaving on loan or a perm if Leeds still interested. Madness to have 3 senior keepers and that small a midfield pool. That’s Les Reed logic for you. Reed, Lemina and Gunn moving will pay for a new CM even with the sponsor debacle, probably the guy from Stuttgart Mangala

Could be Mccarthy going. He has resale value. I wouldn't want that, but weirder things have happened at Saints. 

There is certainly one too many goalkeepers on our books. Forster, Gunn and McCarthy would be unfeasible to keep at a club like Saints, and also unfair to top level professionals.

I think the main reason Fraser is staying is because he knows he's on a good deal here, 80k p/w apparently, no one in their right mind would ever match that. So, why not just knuckle down at the club paying you that and see where you go. 

I wouldn't want to see McCarthy dropped though or leave, the one I expect to go is Gunn. He's still got a decent contract, so throw him out on loan for the year as a number 1...then if he finds his potential we've either got a new No.1 or someone we can get our money back on.

I think McCarthy will start with Forster on the bench. As great as Forst it, one of his biggest shortcomings is his footwork/composure on the ball. That's imperative in a Ralph side and one of the main reasons Gunn started for so many games. Alex isn't stellar in that department either but he's been improving and knows the system inside out now. Find it hard to see Forster coming back into a totally new system and replacing him on such a quick turnaround. 

Part of me still feels that Ralph see Gunn as our longterm number 1. His confidence took a battering but I can see him going out on loan to rebuild/add to the other parts of his game and then coming back to challenge and eventually replace McCarthy. 

1 hour ago, Chocolate Box said:

My source (pretty reliable) has told me McCarthy and Forster are on similar wages, not £80k incidentally. Also that Mac is not going to be sold. I am not an ITK by the way , I only get info about a certain player.

This is true. McCarthy signed a new contract 2 years or so ago and that gave him a  massive pay rise. Typical Saints, he was being linked with a move and we gave him a massive deal far higher than his worth. Dont think it's as much as Forster but not far off. He was close to joining Liverpool last summer but they went for Adrian instead. We are paying out c£200k+ a week in wages for goalkeepers who are all much of a munchness

Edited by Turkish

On 27/08/2020 at 09:59, Neef said:

I think McCarthy will start with Forster on the bench. As great as Forst it, one of his biggest shortcomings is his footwork/composure on the ball. That's imperative in a Ralph side and one of the main reasons Gunn started for so many games. Alex isn't stellar in that department either but he's been improving and knows the system inside out now. Find it hard to see Forster coming back into a totally new system and replacing him on such a quick turnaround. 

Part of me still feels that Ralph see Gunn as our longterm number 1. His confidence took a battering but I can see him going out on loan to rebuild/add to the other parts of his game and then coming back to challenge and eventually replace McCarthy. 

Surely footwork is the one of the easiest things to train into someone? Get him in some quick one touch passing drills with the midfield.