Ralph Hasenhuttl

SuperSAINT

From memory

James ward prowse when he was actually a youngster

Calum Chambers

Luke. Shaw

Harrison Reed

Sam Gallagher

Now admittedly some of them are better than sims but the point is he was prepared to have these youth players in the squad and played them. Under the current philosophy many of them would be out on loan.

JWP was a permanent fixture in the team under Adkins, as was Shaw. I don't think Poch can claim them.

From memory

James ward prowse when he was actually a youngster

Calum Chambers

Luke. Shaw

Harrison Reed

Sam Gallagher

Now admittedly some of them are better than sims but the point is he was prepared to have these youth players in the squad and played them. Under the current philosophy many of them would be out on loan.

Yeah, not giving you Ward Prowse or Luke Shaw, but the other 3 I guess is right. Not sure whether it's a glowing endorsement of playing youth though - Reed played 4 league games and Gallagher scored 1 in 18 league games. Neither have gone onto bigger or better things than Sims so far though - they all seem to be Championship players.

Would defintely get Sims back. This manager could be the making of Sims and Redmond IMO.

Sims doesn't get into one of the worst teams in the Championship. Ralph may well get the best out of our players; Gabbiadini, Redmond, Yoshida, Bertrand, Cedric and Romeu, for example, haven't performed at their best for a while.

Some players like Sims, JWP, Long and Austin just aren't good enough and no manager is going to change that.

But of an odd thing to say. The other ones you mention have all had numerous chances with us, sims has looked great on the very few chances he has had. I see no reason not to give him a go and see what he can do.

I'm staggered that anyone who thinks a player who can't eat into a poor Reading team will improve ours. I agree with lighthouse, he's not quite good enough.

There could be various reasons why a loanee player doesn't feature in the host club's squad, although I accept "not quite good enough" might be one of them.

These recent quotes from the Reading manaager (below) would tend to suggest he has too many players vying for the same position, but he still rates Sims highly. So, if anything, it sounds like he was loaned out to the wrong club - he should have gone to a club where they were light in Sim's position.

The bottom line is we can't definitively conclude that Sims "isn't good enough" simply on the basis that he's not featured more regularly at Reading. Ok, yes, I accept that if he was a world beater then it would be a tad odd if he was being left out of a poor Championship side, but no-one is saying he's a superstar, just that it's not an impossibility that he could still flourish under a different manager and/or different system.

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/reading-fc-manager-paul-clement-15390123

Reading boss Paul Clement says he does not fear Southampton recalling loanee winger Josh Sims.

The 21-year-old has found game time hard to come by since joining Royals over the summer, starting just two games.

Sims signed a season-long loan deal but does have a clause in his contract where he can be recalled by the Premier League club.

But Clement says he is not concerned about that prospect.

"I'm not worried about it," he said. "If it was the end of December and he's out of the squad for the next eight to 10 games I could see why that might happen.

"But I don't think there's any need to have those talks at the moment.

"He could be involved in the next 10 games and do really well. Then we wouldn't need to even mention it."

The winger has played just 90 minutes for Royals once - coming back at the end of September against Hull City.

He has made nine substitute appearances in total, and set up two goals in his first four showings off the bench.

However, he has failed to nail down a starting spot on the wing, with the likes of Sone Aluko, Yakou Meite and Garath McCleary being preferred ahead of him.

Sims was excluded from the Reading matchday squad altogether last weekend for the match with Bristol City but will be hoping to feature in some capacity in Saturday's game with Ipswich Town.

Clement insists the midfielder remains an important part of his plans going forward.

"Josh is not happy he was left out and shouldn't be," said Royals' boss.

"But he was happier when he came on in games and was involved. He's training, is very professional and is getting on with his job.

"It was very harsh on him to not be in the squad last week but I'm dealing with numbers.

"I had a good chat with him afterwards and he was disappointed but he took it the right way."

Clement added: "There's no reason why he can't come back on the bench or straight into the team. He's a good player and I like him a lot.

"He's done well for the club, especially coming into games so he's an important part for us moving forward."

Yeah, not giving you Ward Prowse or Luke Shaw, but the other 3 I guess is right. Not sure whether it's a glowing endorsement of playing youth though - Reed played 4 league games and Gallagher scored 1 in 18 league games. Neither have gone onto bigger or better things than Sims so far though - they all seem to be Championship players.
I'm not saying any of them are world beaters, the point was that we were much better than we are now and we were prepared to give them a chance. In order to nail down a place in the squad currently, someone like Reed or simms would have to perform as well as someone like Davis or elyonoussi both of whom would no doubt be on a hell of a lot more cash.

There could be various reasons why a loanee player doesn't feature in the host club's squad, although I accept "not quite good enough" might be one of them.

These recent quotes from the Reading manaager (below) would tend to suggest he has too many players vying for the same position, but he still rates Sims highly. So, if anything, it sounds like he was loaned out to the wrong club - he should have gone to a club where they were light in Sim's position.

The bottom line is we can't definitively conclude that Sims "isn't good enough" simply on the basis that he's not featured more regularly at Reading. Ok, yes, I accept that if he was a world beater then it would be a tad odd if he was being left out of a poor Championship side, but no-one is saying he's a superstar, just that it's not an impossibility that he could still flourish under a different manager and/or different system.

I almost think it would be more beneficial to drop down an extra level like Hesketh & get more game time & have more impact lower down than be a sub in the championship. He's still only 21.

Yeah then everyone will whinge because "there's no loyalty in football".

there isn't though... the same way us fans are annoyed when a good player/manager leaves, we fans are equally dismissive of sh*t players and willing to let them go after a season!

I almost think it would be more beneficial to drop down an extra level like Hesketh & get more game time & have more impact lower down than be a sub in the championship. He's still only 21.

Indeed.

I've just had a quick search in Twitterland for "Sims" & "ReadingFC" and there's a significant number of fans criticising the manager for not favouring Sims over other players, saying that they think he's much better than the players being picked. As Saints fans, we have a lot of experience of managers not picking the 'best' players (or formation) so, perhaps Sims' lack of game time at Reading is more down to poor management decisions than anything to do with Sims' quality? I guess we'll find out if/when he's recalled next month....

Indeed.

I've just had a quick search in Twitterland for "Sims" & "ReadingFC" and there's a significant number of fans criticising the manager for not favouring Sims over other players, saying that they think he's much better than the players being picked. As Saints fans, we have a lot of experience of managers not picking the 'best' players (or formation) so, perhaps Sims' lack of game time at Reading is more down to poor management decisions than anything to do with Sims' quality? I guess we'll find out if/when he's recalled next month....

Yeah, will be interesting to see what happens.

I remember he's had a few injury problems, but his run before Puel played him against Everton was his absolute peak. He was blindingly too good for the U23's & carried that form into the Checkatrade matches too. Grabbed himself 4 assists in 1 match IIRC.

This will be the making of JWP, mark my words...

Not sure on that, would really like him to nail a place down and actually progress like many thought he would but if we go with what Ralph did at Leipzig, he had two highly mobile centre-mids that had to cover a lot of ground, one of which was Keita. The other was a little more sitting/protect the back 4 style.

JWP for me lacks the pace and power for either of those roles, but we'll see, he definitely has the energy and the work rate, so that may put him in good stead and he also has good ability to pick out a pass and Ralph likes to more direct passes in the transition for the fast-counter so that may also work in our favour.

But to be honest I reckon if he goes for a similar formation he'll go for Lemina/Hojberg rotating as that 'Keita' role with probably Romeu as the more sitting centre mid.

Someone who I think might benefit is Gallagher, at Leipzig they tended to partner a bigger/stronger forward with Werner, and Gallagher apparently has pace to go with his size so may get a chance to show what he can do. If he can show the pressing work rate and add the link play then he could become an important player.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17274253.ralph-hasenhuttl-in-advanced-talks-with-southampton

Reports this morning suggest he has signed a three-year deal at Saints and newspapers in his home country believe he will be unveiled later today.

However, the Daily Echo understands the two parties are still locked in advanced discussions and there is unlikely to be an announcement today.

[/Quote]

Talked to an Eintracht Braunschweig fan at work this morning.

He didnt know about Hughes being fired (normally hes up to speed on this stuff), but when he heard Hasenhüttl is in the frame, he said "good choice, good match of manager and club"

He talked about bringing youth through and high tempo. Sounds a bit like a certain late-departed Argie manager of ours.

He also described Hasenhüttl as a typical dour Austrian, difficult to please, and high on discipline.

Just what we need...

Talked to an Eintracht Braunschweig fan at work this morning.

He didnt know about Hughes being fired (normally hes up to speed on this stuff), but when he heard Hasenhüttl is in the frame, he said "good choice, good match of manager and club"

He talked about bringing youth through and high tempo. Sounds a bit like a certain late-departed Argie manager of ours.

He also described Hasenhüttl as a typical dour Austrian, difficult to please, and high on discipline.

Just what we need...

He will need some new players to implement these tactics although Lemina and Redmond should flourish

I want to see the FB posts of his first training session. Players on their knees, Charlie violently puking.

Hasenhüttl with a look on his face like “this is just the warm up?!?”.

Talking of the first training session, I cannot remember who, but can the person who always climbed in to one of the trees around Staplewood and reported on the session do that again?

Remember when he reported on Pardew’s first session and that Pardew kept getting angry with the players.

Talking of the first training session, I cannot remember who, but can the person who always climbed in to one of the trees around Staplewood and reported on the session do that again?

Remember when he reported on Pardew’s first session and that Pardew kept getting angry with the players.

:lol: forgot about that, was it lighthouse?

Wasn't that Pilchards?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

And Adkins, Pochettino, Koeman and Puel all rated him and liked him. Strange right?

Really don't get the distain for him. Every time he's started regularly he's done well, he's a decent team player and wouldn't be surprised at all if new the manager rated him too.

Don't disagree. I like JWP.

Looks like a good fit for us. But then again didn't Pellegrino when he joined?

I am genuinely optimistic about this. But I recall feeling the same when Pellegrino started out - until it quickly became apparently he was clueless. Or at least, the squad we gave him to work with was so poor. We went into that season looking weaker than ever it's pretty much the same now.

Need significant money in January and to back him with signings.

I am genuinely optimistic about this. But I recall feeling the same when Pellegrino started out - until it quickly became apparently he was clueless. Or at least, the squad we gave him to work with was actually very poor. It's pretty much the same now really.

If you do your homework on MoPe, you would know he never played the Pressing game and just sits back. Les Reed sold you a dummy.

I am genuinely optimistic about this. But I recall feeling the same when Pellegrino started out - until it quickly became apparently he was clueless. Or at least, the squad we gave him to work with was so poor. We went into that season looking weaker than ever it's pretty much the same now.

Need significant money in January and to back him with signings.

no he didnt. It was the spin used by Les.

Off to Spurs in a year-18mths when Poch goes ;)

Think Mr Howe has got that one sewn up for this summer to be honest.

Reality is, if we appoint him and he does well, he will go. Like our better players will if he gets any of them playing. I'm fine with that. The alternative is what we have now.

Strachan it was and he was laying into a black centre back of ours.

Well heated debate and I loved it.

He might be the most likeable guy in the squad by t that doesn’t rake from the fact that he’s a ****e footballer, devoid of any power, pace or effectiveness.

lol no he is not, he's just a solid PL footballer. The guy has played for England, 31 caps at U21 level and over 170 times in the PL and he's only 24. There are literally thousands of professional footballers who would love to be at his sort of level.

Very enthused about this potential appointment. No surprise we turn things around this quick now. Tells you all to know about the masterstroke moves behind the delayed Pellegrini departure.

Les leaving shows club picking back up its drive and energy and perhaps sense of temporarily lost direction.

Players like sims, Hesketh, Boufal might get a second guided chance now.

I think we’ll deffo be in for a new rightback. Cedric just doesn’t have the pace for Hasen’s formation