Ralph Hasenhuttl

SuperSAINT

I believe the squad is strong and has a lot of talent it just needs good management ie coaching and togetherness not constant changes every week. If Romeu rediscovers his defensive role and Redmond is used as speedy winger it will change for the better at both ends. The loser will be Austin and possibly Davis which is sad because he is a real professional and has given us a lot. This squad properly used and fit will be good to watch---you gotta believe

It's all gone very quickly. On Monday, Mark Hughes was fired as Southampton FC coach. The name Ralph Hasenhüttl quickly ghosted through the British media that he was the first contender to succeed him. Then in the evening, the decision was made. The 51-year-old Styrian takes over the traditional club, becoming the first Austrian coach in the English Premier League.

Hasenhüttl will be officially unveiled on Tuesday. The contract, as the Kleine Zeitung learned, has already been signed. The Austrian had ended his involvement with RB Leipzig last May. Now he's back in full business.

Hope this is correct. Until announced I remain concerned that he'll be subject to a late tap up, from Bayern Munich to take over there or wait until the summer, and we'll be left with one of the journeymen mentioned earlier ( Sousa or QSF).

Not sure why everyone is quite so down on the centre backs. We've been rubbish but badly mismanaged. We've had back 3s back 4s and zero consistency in selection, with often no help defending from the front. Never seen a decent defence that didn't play together most weeks.

Jesus badly mis-managed? They struggle with the basics of defending half the time we aren't talking tactics or fitness just basic things a bunch of players who have come through academy systems should have had drilled into them since boyhood. Simple things like knowing when its on to play out from the back and when to just smash it into row z, getting goal side of your man, being aware of who is around you and not getting sucked into the ball and out of position, standing a man up and not diving in, being able to head a ball away from your goal the sort of stuff that should be second nature to a highly paid PL CB.

Jesus badly mis-managed? They struggle with the basics of defending half the time we aren't talking tactics or fitness just basic things a bunch of players who have come through academy systems should have had drilled into them since boyhood. Simple things like knowing when its on to play out from the back and when to just smash it into row z, getting goal side of your man, being aware of who is around you and not getting sucked into the ball and out of position, standing a man up and not diving in, being able to head a ball away from your goal the sort of stuff that should be second nature to a highly paid PL CB.

He’s a bit of a loon, obsessed about us having an amazing squad and all the managers fault. MP and MH are poor managers but our squad is on its arse. We need 2/3 new CB’s with the onus on pace and strength.

Well I'm really excited about this guy Hassenhuttl. Wasn't on my radar (which is mostly switched off anyway) but sounds exactly like who we need to revitalise the team, get the best out of what we've got and attract some decent signings/ make needed changes in the next couple of transfer windows. Just the belief we might play some decent attacking football again - and maybe even win a game goodness!

Credit where credit is due...if this all happens...the board will have made some bold and significant moves in time to salvage the season and build for next.

Like 8th actually on a decent number of points with a decent number of wins and a few goals and some good football and players getting better rather than worse?

Yes, me too. Would be a thousand times better than the Puel season and a billion times better than Pellegrino or Hughes.

Well at least we are in agreement that Puel is a million times better than Pellegrino and Hughes.

Would defintely get Sims back. This manager could be the making of Sims and Redmond IMO.

Sims doesn't get into one of the worst teams in the Championship. Ralph may well get the best out of our players; Gabbiadini, Redmond, Yoshida, Bertrand, Cedric and Romeu, for example, haven't performed at their best for a while.

Some players like Sims, JWP, Long and Austin just aren't good enough and no manager is going to change that.

Sims doesn't get into one of the worst teams in the Championship. Ralph may well get the best out of our players; Gabbiadini, Redmond, Yoshida, Bertrand, Cedric and Romeu, for example, haven't performed at their best for a while.

Some players like Sims, JWP, Long and Austin just aren't good enough and no manager is going to change that.

Yoshida has been under-played, he hasn't under-performed

But of an odd thing to say. The other ones you mention have all had numerous chances with us, sims has looked great on the very few chances he has had. I see no reason not to give him a go and see what he can do.

Well Gao seems to have woken up and taken control of the muppet show ousting Les and Hughes. I assume he has got fed up with the hands off, leave it to Ralph and Reed approach?

This is a big test now, can he deliver a quality manager or is this another Promes situation?

Or is this just all Ralph welding the axe to save his own job? If it's Ralph then I wouldn't hold my breath as to the appointment.

Whether it is Gao, Nelly, Ralph, or a committee, it looks more decisive than the past 2-3 years.

The fact that we sack one and almost sign the replacement immediately proves that somebody, somewhere was doing something.

Obviously the proof is delivered once it is all confirmed, but for the time being the noises are promising

I thought it was impossible for anyone at saints to make a good managerial appointment, as no-one left had any ‘football experience’?

Despite said football experience landing us two terrible managers in a row, previously?

It hasn't actually happened yet so I'm not getting excited until it is confirmed.

The last few years the club have become masters of this sort of name dropping, giving the impression its as good as done, in the press only for all it to all fall through at the last minute due to some unforeseen issue that wasn't their fault.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we ended up with someone completely different.

But of an odd thing to say. The other ones you mention have all had numerous chances with us, sims has looked great on the very few chances he has had. I see no reason not to give him a go and see what he can do.

I'm staggered that anyone who thinks a player who can't eat into a poor Reading team will improve ours. I agree with lighthouse, he's not quite good enough.

I'm staggered that anyone who thinks a player who can't eat into a poor Reading team will improve ours. I agree with lighthouse, he's not quite good enough.
Based on what exactly? I'd rather do what we would have done under poch or before and give him a chance in our team before dismissing him as not good enough. Its not like there's an awful lot of decent competition at the moment. We should be giving our youth players a chance imo, particularly exciting players like sims who have looked decent in the small amount of time they have had on the pitch with us. If give him a go over elyounnousi for example who really hasn't done anything of note.

Good to see some postitivity amongst the fans.

Full pressing game, im not sure you can get the players that fit during the season.

Lets hope he can get us moving,he got Leipzig promoted he might need those skills again.

If as I was told that MLTis going to be director offootball is true , then no doubt his dining out with Krueger may have born fruit

It hasn't actually happened yet so I'm not getting excited until it is confirmed.

I'm with you on that, after all, its Saints and we know we can muck it up. Looking on Sky, he is 20/1 on, which is about as short as it gets (and yes, I know that this reacts to the market)

Based on what exactly? I'd rather do what we would have done under poch or before and give him a chance in our team before dismissing him as not good enough. Its not like there's an awful lot of decent competition at the moment. We should be giving our youth players a chance imo, particularly exciting players like sims who have looked decent in the small amount of time they have had on the pitch with us. If give him a go over elyounnousi for example who really hasn't done anything of note.

Based on having watched him play. There's also the fact that he can't make a poor Reading team. He's a good player, but not good enough for the premier league.

You say we should give our youth players a chance. Have you actually seen our youth players play? If you have you'll know that outside Valery, Vokins, and possibly Slattery, that none of them are anywhere near good enough. One or two of the others such as Smallbone may improve enough but giving them a chance won't suddenly improve their ability.

Anyways, back on subject, this Hasenhuttl fella looks decent.

Based on having watched him play. There's also the fact that he can't make a poor Reading team. He's a good player, but not good enough for the premier league.

You say we should give our youth players a chance. Have you actually seen our youth players play? If you have you'll know that outside Valery, Vokins, and possibly Slattery, that none of them are anywhere near good enough. One or two of the others such as Smallbone may improve enough but giving them a chance won't suddenly improve their ability.

Anyways, back on subject, this Hasenhuttl fella looks decent.

What specifically do you think was lacking when you watched him play? I'm not interested in what he does at Reading, I'm interested in giving him a chance under a manager known to improve players and who is great with the youth. Do you think he would have been given a chance under poch? Of course he would have abd he would have been a better player for it. The bar is very low and as I said it really wouldn't take much at all for him to do better than mo. I'm not saying make him a starter but If we gave him an extended run in the squad and he was rubbish then fair enough but you don't know until you try and that's what our team used to be about.

Under poch and beforehand he would have been in the squad and given a chance and since we lost that part of our identity now he is shipped out on loan. We gave young players a chance under poch and it did us no harm.

What specifically do you think was lacking when you watched him play? I'm not interested in what he does at Reading, I'm interested in giving him a chance under a manager known to improve players and who is great with the youth. Do you think he would have been given a chance under poch? Of course he would have abd he would have been a better player for it. The bar is very low and as I said it really wouldn't take much at all for him to do better than mo. I'm not saying make him a starter but If we gave him an extended run in the squad and he was rubbish then fair enough but you don't know until you try and that's what our team used to be about.

Under poch and beforehand he would have been in the squad and given a chance and since we lost that part of our identity now he is shipped out on loan. We gave young players a chance under poch and it did us no harm.

Genuine question as the years all seem to blend together for me, but what young players did Pochettino bring through?

Surely that is the whole point of the loan, to see how he does whilst on loan!

Another onto the compensation pay off gravy train, bring it on SFC! I would so love to be proved cynical and wrong, and get 2.5 seasons out of this guy with continuity and stability, I crave it. If he is any good and succeeds here then he will get poached eventually.

Surely that is the whole point of the loan, to see how he does whilst on loan!
I don't agree with farming our youngsters out on loan when imo they coukd be in our squad and being used. It's a recent change of policy that means that promising youngsters like sims are on loan to poor championship teams.

Another onto the compensation pay off gravy train, bring it on SFC! I would so love to be proved cynical and wrong, and get 2.5 seasons out of this guy with continuity and stability, I crave it. If he is any good and succeeds here then he will get poached eventually.

Yep. Which is annoying, however I would be happy if we forged a reputation as the place upcoming, progressive and 'proven overseas' managers (and players) come to get a foothold in the EPL, before moving on to a big 4/5 club job.

Better than the being on the old-school managers roundabout.

Yeah then everyone will whinge because "there's no loyalty in football".

That's hardly something to be sad about when the alternative is appointing someone terrible that we can't shift without sacking and paying a chunk of compensation to.

Our fans:

"I've had enough of these foreign Carlos kickaball managers".

Club - signs Englishman

Our fans:

"What we really need is one of these foreign Carlos kickaball style managers".

Good luck Ralph :lol:

Aside from us not having an English manager since Adkins, that is a very odd way to categorise managers. Not "prefers attacking/defensive" play, or likes to work on fitness, progressive coaching methods, squad rotation, etc, but deciding the main factor is ethnicity? I actually don't think that's the main way "our fans" categorise managers at all, but if that's the main differentiation between Puel and Hughes in your mind, it says more about you.

Aside from us not having an English manager since Adkins, that is a very odd way to categorise managers. Not "prefers attacking/defensive" play, or likes to work on fitness, progressive coaching methods, squad rotation, etc, but deciding the main factor is ethnicity? I actually don't think that's the main way "our fans" categorise managers at all, but if that's the main differentiation between Puel and Hughes in your mind, it says more about you.

You know, I was considering stating that it was a joke but then I figured adding that an obviously joking post is a joke is a bit redundant.

Genuine question as the years all seem to blend together for me, but what young players did Pochettino bring through?
From memory

James ward prowse when he was actually a youngster

Calum Chambers

Luke. Shaw

Harrison Reed

Sam Gallagher

Now admittedly some of them are better than sims but the point is he was prepared to have these youth players in the squad and played them. Under the current philosophy many of them would be out on loan.