Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

52 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Bazunu, KwP, Tino, Salisu, ABK, DCC, JwP, AMN (although not ours), S.Armstrong, Lavia, Adams (given he was linked with a few clubs this summer)

All you're doing is listing our good players without taking into account the logistics of a club actually signing them from us.

On 11/10/2022 at 20:20, West end Saints said:

I don't know what the Board think, but, Blackmore seemed to be under the impression that Ralph is definately in his last season, and the board are likely to assess at world Cup break. 

I wonder how many points will be his safety threshold? 

We will then have played 15 games (currently 7 from 9 games). 

There can't be anyway they would consider keeping him if we lose the next 6 (or sack him if we win the next 6!).

Style of play, whether defeats are close etc will come into in but I'm thinking 6 or less surely they will change? 9 safe? 

So, only need 4 points from these next two and he is safe, easy! 

4 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Both have taken clubs from the championship into europe, so its not that bad. I'd happily have either of them tbh. 

Personally I like the idea of keeping a manager for a long time which is why im neutral on Ralphs staying or going. Dyche could stay here for a long time and build a good structure for the young players to follow. He did it on a small budget at Burnley and is a good character in the game. 

Okay it's all a matter of opinion, and you can't argue with the fact you've given on the promotion and reaching European qualification.

But skim beneath the surface and I'm not sure of either. Nuno, as I said earlier was bankrolled by Fosun with direct contact to a particular agent, which he probably won't get here. I don't recall Wolves bringing many younger players through, unless of course you regard the country of Portugal as their academy.

Dyche, not sure he is regarded as a 'good character'., just a moaning gravel voiced tosser. Was it Dyche who Burnley's own fans called 'Ginger Mourinho' ? Always struck me ass more of a 'Ginger Branfoot' with his style of play.  In fairness , yes did well with limited resources and bringing players through - from signings rather than academy (exception McNeil) I think - but isn't that a reflection of their scouting rather than him ?

Many people were wary when Rupert appointed a recently relegated and sacked WGS.though and that turned out okay for a while.  

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Have a day off. Adams, Salisu and Stu wont attract anyone better than relegation strugglers. Tino, Baz and DCC are far from proven players. AMN has looked like a fish up a tree for the most part and marginally less crap in his last game.

Lavia and ABK will be in demand. JWP and KWP will probably end up somewhere like Everton or West Ham, superstars they are not.

You don't think someone decent would snap Salisu up? Ok he isn't great on the ball yet but he's still very young for a centre back and is actually very good at defending. He has bags of potential. In the last two games AMN has looked good and Arsenal fans seem to rate him. 

Tino and Bazunu would go to Premier League teams and West Ham & Villa both wanted DCC so no doubt he would as well. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

1 hour ago, Raging Bull said:

Any idea who? For both the manager (whether it’s Nuno or not) and the strikers?

on a scale of 1 (no confidence whatsoever) to 10 (im shitting myself with excitement). How confident are you with the front players? 

The Semmens cock up was buried. SR were fuming. We have the money put aside can’t see them letting it happen again. No idea who but if you heard the story they told Semmens money no object.. within reason of course.

1 hour ago, manji said:

The Semmens cock up was buried. SR were fuming. We have the money put aside can’t see them letting it happen again. No idea who but if you heard the story they told Semmens money no object.. within reason of course.

So let's get this straight....even when we're offered a big wedge to spend Semmens cocks it up. That's assuming this rumour is true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manji said:

Yet he remains in post.  We are bottom 3 now, and will be there come the break.  Largely because of Sports Republic’s passive support of a shite manager.  Talk about ostriches with their heads in the sand.

Impressed with the amount of money spent in the window, but their management of the club hasn’t been that great up until now.
Hopefully they’ll turn it around.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, manji said:

This sounds as far fetched as your Ukraine posts.

Absolutely nothing that happened in the summer transfer window suggested for one second that "money was no object"

We bought a handful of kids for sub ten million. Aribo six million. And so on.

Money clearly, obviously, an object.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Glad to see that pedantry is alive and kicking on this forum.

How about, "he was given a green light to spend far more than we are usually accustomed to"

Its not "pedantic" to say that what you've put there does not mean "money was no object". Because it doesn't mean that.

Anyone saying "Semmens was told money was no object and he still cocked up" is a bullshitter, bullshitting.

Edited by CB Fry

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

This sounds as far fetched as your Ukraine posts.

Absolutely nothing that happened in the summer transfer window suggested for one second that "money was no object"

What, apart from our net spend, and the fact we were universally expected to spend heavy money on top of that?

If you don't like the Ukraine posts, you can always ignore them. We will find out Sport Republic's verdict soon enough. My guess was that Hasenhuttl would be given until the world cup break to show that he had what it takes this season, and that on the existing form he would come up short. Manji has suggested if there are any imminent departures, it will be Semmens'. If he says that, then there could well be something in it.

It looks increasingly to me like RH has been given a 'get out of jail free' card from above. For me, that's the only explanation I have for why he is still in post, despite the appalling body language he exhibits these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

What, apart from our net spend, and the fact we were universally expected to spend heavy money on top of that?

If you don't like the Ukraine posts, you can always ignore them. We will find out Sport Republic's verdict soon enough. My guess was that Hasenhuttl would be given until the world cup break to show that he had what it takes this season, and that on the existing form he would come up short. Manji has suggested if there are any imminent departures, it will be Semmens'. If he says that, then there could well be something in it.

It looks increasingly to me like RH has been given a 'get out of jail free' card from above. For me, that's the only explanation I have for why he is still in post, despite the appalling body language he exhibits these days.

Thanks for confirming that Manji has two usernames, then.

I always imagine it is difficult to keep track of who you are at any given time, and you've fucked up there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Thanks for confirming that Manji has two usernames, then.

I always imagine it is difficult to keep track of who you are at any given time, and you've fucked up there.

It's much worse than that. I'm actually one of a large number of bot accounts designed primarily to engage you in pointless conversation on here, energising ourselves by feeding off your righteousness, a bit like a really shit version of the Matrix.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

It's much worse than that. I'm actually one of a large number of bot accounts designed primarily to engage you in pointless conversation on here, energising ourselves by feeding off your righteousness, a bit like a really shit version of the Matrix.

Tell your bots to be a bit less touchy about your Ukraine bullshit x x x

Looks like Ralph could be leaving us when we are sitting at the bottom after the next two games.

What a brave person wanting to come in and managed this lot? It shows you how bad the current board is for letting it get this low.

90% of us could see where we were heading at the end of last season and they took far too long to react.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

How so?

I didn’t catch the full thing, only seen the bit about 10-15 seasonal defeats

Overall just doesn't have the verve he has and has lost that belief that we can challenge teams with greater resources, which shows in our performances.

Specifically when asked by Blackmore about having done nearly 4 years and what his reflections were he spoke very much in a way that it was nearly the end rather than part of a longer journey. Referred to how much older he looks than when he started and that 4 years is a long time for a manager at a club. Said we have had ups and downs and opportunities for higher finishes. He didn't make any reference to the future.

I think Blackmore missed an obvious follow up, "How energised are you for the future here?" Or "Whats your next goals with Saints?" Would have been interesting to hear his response as he is usually pretty honest.

-----------

Redmond's Athletic interview today is interesting on Ralph, summing up most peoples feelings that we press but have little else in attack.

I maintain NR was misunderstood and actually a good character who cared more than many players.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Overall just doesn't have the verve he has and has lost that belief that we can challenge teams with greater resources, which shows in our performances.

Specifically when asked by Blackmore about having done nearly 4 years and what his reflections were he spoke very much in a way that it was nearly the end rather than part of a longer journey. Referred to how much older he looks than when he started and that 4 years is a long time for a manager at a club. Said we have had ups and downs and opportunities for higher finishes. He didn't make any reference to the future.

I think Blackmore missed an obvious follow up, "How energised are you for the future here?" Or "Whats your next goals with Saints?" Would have been interesting to hear his response as he is usually pretty honest.

-----------

Redmond's Athletic interview today is interesting on Ralph, summing up most peoples feelings that we press but have little else in attack.

I maintain NR was misunderstood and actually a good character who cared more than many players.

Ah I see! Thanks for the insight.

With regards to Redmond I always liked him and was a little disappointed when he left. He may not be that world beater but he was still decent, on his day had flashes of brilliance and was seen by the younger players as an authoritative figure in the dressing room, and one that was open and approachable.

• Like 1

Full Redmond article from the athletic here for those who are subscribers:

https://theathletic.com/3757881/2022/11/06/nathan-redmond-southampton-besiktas-future/?source=user_shared_article

Does sum up the way the fanbase seem to think about Ralph now. He came in and energised the whole club but his one dimensional tactics were found out and we’ve never been consistent as a result.

Redmond talks about no attacking output from all that pressing and I think that’s a good benchmark for the players losing belief in the only tactic that’s worked well for Ralph. 

Ultimately Ralph has been a likeable character that has performed well with no budget but his ideas have run out and we are desperate for a fresh start with a new manager. In hindsight this should have been the summer, it has to be during this World Cup break to give a new manager time to implement his ideas during a mini pre season. It’s taken me a while to see it but it’s time to change.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Ralph’s last home game? Will be interesting to see what he does at the full time whistle.

If we win (unlikely) he'll be on the pitch milking it for every last drop. If we lose (likely) he'll be down that tunnel as fast as he can go. If we draw (possible) his reaction will indeed be interesting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ah I see! Thanks for the insight.

With regards to Redmond I always liked him and was a little disappointed when he left. He may not be that world beater but he was still decent, on his day had flashes of brilliance and was seen by the younger players as an authoritative figure in the dressing room, and one that was open and approachable.

'was seen by the younger players as an authoritative figure in the dressing room'

How can you possibly know this? Are you the kit man?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, DT said:

'was seen by the younger players as an authoritative figure in the dressing room'

How can you possibly know this? Are you the kit man?

Redmond pretty much says he was that in The Athletic interview.

Who knows all the players might all disagree but I'd doubt it.

• Like 4

One thing I have to say about the parlous position Saints find themselves in is that the team have generally put in a decent shift whenever I have seen them play. even if the end product has been so badly lacking for some time now.
I have generally been a supporter of Ralph but to play Theo Walcott, who's general input was to run alongside opposing players, more or less convinced me that we do need a new Manager.

I only saw from the end of the first half on. Newcastle took their chances. We had a few, missed them, and it took a clever bit of play from Perraud to score one. Being critical, AMN was a yard off to block a shot, they got one as we pushed up, and a better, more powerful keeper might have got a hand for the fourth.

Subs made en masse, as if they come in attacking job lots, and Ralph was just making another frustrated point.

Newcastle looked the better side by some distance. But had we taken our chances...

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl