Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

Funny how this popped up minutes after the final whistle, and is very vague. Back in the summer we heard a sensational tale that Ralph had lost the dressing room. if I recall correctly, the root of that yarn was traced back the North East……………..

Edited by John Boy Saint

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-11-07/southampton-football-club-part-company-with-ralph-hasenhuttl-statement

Southampton Football Club can confirm it has parted company with Men’s First Team Manager Ralph Hasenhüttl.

First Team Assistant Coach Richard Kitzbichler has also today left the club.

Hasenhüttl, who was appointed in December 2018, departs having made a significant contribution to the club, overseeing some memorable results and also playing a key role in the development of our club infrastructure, identity and playing squad.

However, we now believe it is an appropriate time to make a change.

Everyone involved with the club would like to express their sincere thanks to Ralph for all of his efforts, as well as the unwavering commitment he has shown throughout his time as manager.

First Team Lead Coach Rubén Sellés will take charge of the side on an interim basis for our game on Wednesday night. The club will be announcing a permanent replacement in due course.

10 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

Yeah poor "journalism". An article penned by a Saints fan very soo  after a terrible result at home...likely to be in an  emotional state. 

Really hasn't said anything, more making a prediction to attempt to be the exclusive when the inevitable happens, can then claim "knowledge". 

Almost as pathetic as the performance was today. 

Must be one hell of a coincidence that a "poor" journalist making up a story in an "emotional state" turned out to be completely correct.

Pathetic indeed.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-11-07/southampton-football-club-part-company-with-ralph-hasenhuttl-statement

Southampton Football Club can confirm it has parted company with Men’s First Team Manager Ralph Hasenhüttl.

First Team Assistant Coach Richard Kitzbichler has also today left the club.

Hasenhüttl, who was appointed in December 2018, departs having made a significant contribution to the club, overseeing some memorable results and also playing a key role in the development of our club infrastructure, identity and playing squad.

However, we now believe it is an appropriate time to make a change.

Everyone involved with the club would like to express their sincere thanks to Ralph for all of his efforts, as well as the unwavering commitment he has shown throughout his time as manager.

First Team Lead Coach Rubén Sellés will take charge of the side on an interim basis for our game on Wednesday night. The club will be announcing a permanent replacement in due course.

I think that summary is about right. I don’t hold any ill will towards him and will remember him well. Even though it ended badly he should be remembered as an important figure in the modern history of the club. Longest serving manager in 30 years

• Like 2

Shame it ended like this to be honest, there was clearly good ideas in there somewhere but I don't think he recovered mentally from the self doubt those huge defeats must have inflicted him with and that fed down to the team. We looked like a side treading water this season. 

Overall I'll remember him fondly, he's not with the likes of Pelligrino or Hughes but he's nowhere near Adkins, Strachan, Pochettino or Koeman. 

He's probably with Burley and Pardew where we had some good times but nowhere near as good as we should have. Which is also where I'd put Puel, whether fairly or not.

• Like 4

My view is that it started to go wrong a good 24 months ago. I’m sure Ralph will pick up a really good job in a European club somewhere, perhaps closer to home and family. For us SR have a massive challenge to repair the damage, recruiting a suitable and highly competent Manager - someone who can truly inspire our young squad to better results. I just hope whoever it is gets to decide how to coach the players into playing in a faster, more dynamic manner that befits the EPL. Then they have to back that Manager significantly in the January window with 2-3 top class players to raise the overall quality of the squad. It may be too late - let’s hope not.

He has been criminally under supported by the board throughout his tenure with us and has basically run out of ideas to keep us moving forward, I don't blame him for that; he must be exhausted and probably relieved to be able to take a break.  

He comes across as a decent guy so I wish him all the best.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Not sure like Ralph this site needs to be upgraded. The times you want to get on it is Gateway 55 or something. No good

Always been the way during big news. I remember spending about a week at college on here pressing F5 during the takeover saga of 2009.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Not sure about the timing of this, who is going to burst into tears and kneel down when we only lose 3-0 to Liverpool, I hope Selles hasn't been paying attention.

It's funny isn't it that that was basically the moment it all went downhill from. Strange.

• Like 1

sad day and wish him well. Right decision and our poor form has gone on too long. Decent guy, had to work under very difficult circumstanced with Goa but at times we played some great football. I'll never forget how great it was to sit top of the league for a while, some great wins. Equally there were some awful results and performances. It's probably the best for all parties, Ralph has looked like a dead man walking for a long time and knew his time was up, we need some fresh ideas to give everyone a lift. For the first 2-3 years he felt a great fit for us but for most of this year it's felt like this was inevitable. Wish him all the best for the future. 

• Like 9

Glad he's gone, nice fella, some good times but everything is so stale it needed a freshen up.

Lets hope the new owners can find us someone to make us all happy again. We need to buckle down and scrape survival this season, invest in the summer and go again 

• Like 1

Typical when this news breaks that the forum is playing up so much.

It's a sad day but undoubtedly the right decision. When Ralph arrived he was like a breath of fresh air and lifted the mood and atmosphere around the whole club. Re-engaged the fans. Did a brilliant job in keeping us up through some tough times and largely with his hands tied behind his back. 

However I think aside from the occasional good run, things have never really been right since the 9-0 against Leicester and I think that left a big mental scar on him. Over time his character has changed to an increasingly forlorn figure and his tactics have become too cautious, the opposite of his original remit. Our problems are certainly not all down to Ralph but things have just become very stale and I think he ran out of ideas on how to fix it. So a parting of ways is best for both Saints and Ralph.

One thing you can say about him is that he genuinely appeared to care and always tried his best. I wish him all the best in his future career or retirement if he chooses that. I suspect he'll need a bit of a break regardless.

Our next appointment is crucial, we need someone to come in and have the type of impact Ralph did originally. A tough ask with a squad largely full of Championship standard players.

• Like 2

Not unhappy and not unsad about the decision. I wish it could have workout for him and us, but we were too inconsistent and the defence was too often a problem. We got to the corner a few times but could never go around it.

I wish him well and I look forward to see what the next guy can deliver.

• Like 1

There were periods in his reign where i was very excited about what proved to be false dawns that turned into too many horrendous runs.

Felt he should have gone at the end of last season. This season he has just seemed lost. He abandoned his pressing style for a horrendous non football, which was the final straw when it came to my wavering on the fence.  Hope they haven't left it too late and they have someone lined up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It's funny isn't it that that was basically the moment it all went downhill from. Strange.

Yep, it seemed to be the catalyst, downhill after his personal high point perhaps.  Clearly a decent man and I wish him all the very best, but wish Sport Republic had made the change prior to the summer. 

• Like 1

Ralph was exactly what we needed after pellegrino and hughes, a manager with a clear plan and had us playing attacking football.

I think essentially his was of playing football then become longterm incompatible with our budget under Gao and we had to shop in the 1 pound shop for too long.

Now the irony is that with this being the 1st summer we have spent a lot of money, he was let down by someone (guessing semmens) not getting that top striker after mara signed which was the priority signing as our striker options massively degraded with Ings leaving.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hatch said:

What was the date when Ralph said he was already planning his retirement?

Pretty sure the end of this season. Entirely possible he doesn't manage again, which makes this a sad way for his career to end. Got to wonder if he has the passion for it anymore.

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

He has been criminally under supported by the board throughout his tenure with us and has basically run out of ideas to keep us moving forward, I don't blame him for that; he must be exhausted and probably relieved to be able to take a break.  

He comes across as a decent guy so I wish him all the best.

The not getting a striker in during the summer was strange. I could understand them busting a gut to get Delap in if he was the answer to our goal scoring problems but it seems they wasted their time on someone who can no longer even start for Stoke.  1 goal out of 5 against on Saturday against 4 goals out of 4 says it all. You can’t compete in this league if you can’t put the ball in the net. I don’t think we have a bad squad but as has been said over and over, we made a big mistake in not finding an adequate replacement for Ings. Che’s finishing has not improved and Adam A hasn’t been able to step up to the EPL standard. The new guy will have the same problems if we fail to invest in improving our firepower in January. Wishing Ralph all the best for the future. He isn’t a bad manager and probably should have found himself a club with the money to match his ambitions and ability.

Edited by sadoldgit
Spelling

12 minutes ago, Hatch said:

What was the date when Ralph said he was already planning his retirement?

He'll pop up again somewhere else. Didn't a certain H. Redknapp claim he was on his last job in football with us? These managers go home and find that having nothing to do is significantly worse than being in a well-paid albeit stressful job.

1 hour ago, WestMidSaint said:

I think that summary is about right. I don’t hold any ill will towards him and will remember him well. Even though it ended badly he should be remembered as an important figure in the modern history of the club. Longest serving manager in 30 years

“Important figure” my arse. Hanging around for longer than other duds doesn’t make you an “important “ figure. Shows the noddy mentality at the club and within the fan base if anyone believes this pony. He inherited a shit show and has left behind a shit show. 

• Haha 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl - Official: Leaves Club

Well, I'm sad to see him go personally but that's just football. I'll always remember him as a likable manager who kept us comfortably clear of the relegation fight for four seasons, despite some very limited resources. The fact that our best striker is Championship standard and we had to sell our reserve LB in order to buy him is probably the best illustration of this. Honestly, after the Reed/Wilson fiasco we knew we'd be lumbered with the massive financial burden of Carrillo, Boufal, Forster, Hoedt, Lemina, Gunn, Hughes, MoPe and others, I honestly thought we'd go down at some point but so far we haven't. If you think that's lacking ambition, well you pay for something better then.

Good luck in the future Ralph.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

“Important figure” my arse. Hanging around for longer than other duds doesn’t make you an “important “ figure. Shows the noddy mentality at the club and within the fan base if anyone believes this pony. He inherited a shit show and has left behind a shit show. 

Have a day off Duckie 

• Like 5

No grudge against Ralph, I didn't mind him as a bloke and at the time of his appointment it seemed like a coup and he steadied the ship that had been crashing into rocks under Pellegrino and Hughes. He did OK with is pressing game, with his hands tied in the transfer department and with bouncing back after the 2 9-0s. But his decision making has always been iffy and lately it seems he doesn't even know what formation to play, let alone what his strongest team is. Then we see that line up yesterday and the guy has complete lost it. He should have gone in the summer really.

We needed fresh eyes, possibly even sooner than now, and now we are going to get them. I just hope Sports Republic have that Gakpo money in the transfer kitty for January as we are really, REALLY going to need it if we are going to survive.

Right now I have that awful sinking feeling...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

sad day and wish him well. Right decision and our poor form has gone on too long. Decent guy, had to work under very difficult circumstanced with Goa but at times we played some great football. I'll never forget how great it was to sit top of the league for a while, some great wins. Equally there were some awful results and performances. It's probably the best for all parties, Ralph has looked like a dead man walking for a long time and knew his time was up, we need some fresh ideas to give everyone a lift. For the first 2-3 years he felt a great fit for us but for most of this year it's felt like this was inevitable. Wish him all the best for the future. 

Thanks for saving me the effort 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Thanks for saving me the effort 👍

I'm feeling pretty apathetic about his departure, albeit leaning more towards sorrow than happiness.

I think of being top of the league for a day and smile, but then recall the 9-0s and grimace.

Seemed a nice chap and definitely will be fine with his massive pay-out.

Hopefully we'll move onto better things and we'll all end up happy.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl