Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

43 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Supposedly the money was there for a striker but Semmens cocked it up. For me SR need to show some balls and start getting rid of those who are underperforming in their roles (Semmens and Ralph in particular) 

The striker claim here is very worrying.  

Over the past decade, the club has prided itself on being able to unearth good quality players (minus Carillo) thanks to an extensive network of scouts.  So why on earth wasn’t there a plan B or even a plan C in terms of potential strikers for us to sign if the Broja deal fell through? Why is a Premier League operation putting all its eggs in one basket for THE position that needed strengthening the most?  This is the main reason we are in the bottom three. 

And if Jacob Tanswell is to be believed, Che Adams was also told he was free to leave in the summer? I just can’t get my head around it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

What is relegation battle experience? Surely any manager will try and win every game whether it's a relegation battle, top 4 battle or title push.

True but it helps if you've got experience of a great escape and that mentality to win when you absolutely have to, more commonly known as showing some bottle aka that fighting spirit  

One day we're going to act like a normal football club with no drama around it. Unfortunately, that day is not today and doesn't look to be anywhere in the near future. Our manager's likely been told he's going to leave the club in the World Cup window, with the official line being mutual consent as some respect for the work he's done here over the years. Only, that's backfired in that the manager now doesn't have any motivation to do anything for the club, as is human nature. He's even spoken about retiring after us, so he doesn't even care about maintaining a good reputation so that he gets a good club afterwards. So, you see bizarre decisions like Walcott starting, Elyounoussi playing 90 minutes every week, making subs after going 3-0 down and those shite throw-ins that do nothing for us. You either sack him, or back him. Not, we don't see you in our long-term plan as you're currently failing in your job, but we'll give you a few more weeks to cost us some more points as an act of respect.

We went into today level on points with Aston Villa. They twisted on their manager, bought out the contract of a top 10 La Liga team manager, a manager who has won Ligue 1 and the Europa League 4 times and done Manchester United 3-1. That's unthinkable for little old Southampton, as despite finishing just 3 points off the Champions League spots 6 years ago, we're just lucky to be here, looking at massive teams like Brighton and Brentford currently sit in 6th and 11th. The club's got a loser's mentality throughout it. No wonder Gakpo and Dembele didn't want to come here in the summer, imagine the pitch they got. We used to attract Alderweireld, Van Dijk, Bertrand, even Osvaldo and Ramirez were two rated big names in world football. Now we have to settle for prepubescent kids.

• Like 7

When SR took over it was stated that basically Semmens and Co would continue to run the day to day operations as before. 

Semmens has shown poor leadership since then, especially some of his comments at the forum. 

If he doesn't sack RH tonight or tomorrow morning he should lose his job too.

If Rasmus and Co have reduced his powers then why is he still here now and Rasmus and Co need to do the decent thing tomorrow and free up the rest of Ralph's life for him!!

Im hoping/guessing that both parties will go tomorrow/next few days. 

Draw a line. Recruit their manager and CEO. Move on. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I'm not 100% sure a new coach can make people suddenly finish easy chances.

Maybe not. But then look at the state of Newcastles attack before Howe came in. Almiron is now a world beater, Wilson could be in the England squad and I think I heard that Newcastle have had 11 different scorers this PL season which is the league highest

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Maybe not. But then look at the state of Newcastles attack before Howe came in. Almiron is now a world beater, Wilson could be in the England squad and I think I heard that Newcastle have had 11 different scorers this PL season which is the league highest

Whilst I wouldn’t decry Howe’s achievements as a coach, I think limitless funds also help. 

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Semmens and co deserve the sack for 'picking' SR as our new owners..

All done to protect their own jobs. Should have been handled by independent representatives not those wishing to feather their own cushy nests.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Yeah, Almiron was clearly a talented footballer but regressed under Steve Bruce. Now look at him under a decent coach like Eddie Howe.

Don't think there is anything new in that article is there ? Just the widely speculated rumour doing the rounds on the inevitability of Ralph getting the push,, although slightly concerning that they seem to be dithering about making the decision. 

39 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

When SR took over it was stated that basically Semmens and Co would continue to run the day to day operations as before. 

Semmens has shown poor leadership since then, especially some of his comments at the forum. 

If he doesn't sack RH tonight or tomorrow morning he should lose his job too.

If Rasmus and Co have reduced his powers then why is he still here now and Rasmus and Co need to do the decent thing tomorrow and free up the rest of Ralph's life for him!!

Im hoping/guessing that both parties will go tomorrow/next few days. 

Draw a line. Recruit their manager and CEO. Move on. 

Have to wonder what the working relationship between SR and Semmens really is. Think SR should flex their muscle and influence as its clearly going down the pan left to the old guard.

And Martin, take Toby and the cunts in charge of ticketing and stewarding with you. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I'm not 100% sure a new coach can make people suddenly finish easy chances.

This. I hope I’m proven wrong but I can’t see any manager making our forwards good enough. Che and Armstrong are Championship strikers, Walcott would struggle in the Championship and the French kid is nowhere near ready. 

1 hour ago, mitch01 said:

I like Ralph a lot and will always respect the total commitment and care for club he has clearly shown since he joined us 4yrs ago. He's presided over a period of big change and our squad is now in a much, much better place. At it's best some of the football in his time has been excellent. Some of the defeats recently though have been pretty dispiriting but I feel overall he has guided the club with a lot of resilience under tough conditions. I do think now is the right time for a change, and I hope (and suspect) that we've had a list of exciting replacements ready for some time. I know not everyone feels the same but he goes with my thanks.

Agree with your comments about Ralph,.

It's no good having a list though, (that was always a Les soundbite) we need someone who is prepared to take the daunting task on, and the last couple of weeks have probably made it a less attractive proposition. 

Defining moment for SR, who are we and what do they want for the club. As the summer plans aren’t working. They need to make a statement of intent now,  but what top manager would want to take over, maybe promised funds for Jan, long term contract, I don’t know but as Ralph says it’s not my job to. Disappointed had such high hopes for Ralph, but the whole club seems to be riddled with we’re lucky to be there mentality while powerhouses like Brentford and Brighton continually outperform us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IOWSaintDaz said:

Hopefully its gonna be Marcelo Gallardo as widely reported he is to leave River Plate, but could be Sean Dyche or worse still Fat Sam!!

Lets be honest about 99% of this forum didnt know who this was until a quick google search this evening. I dont know much about him so what makes him the best candidate? Why would he want to leave competing for titles to come here for a relegation fight?

Fuck The Athletic.

They never have any real exclusives so make shit up to get some clicks. Who the hell actually pays for their shit?

Obviously some cunts do. Fair play to The Athletic for tucking them up.

• Like 1

1. the article contradicts itself

2. Dick move by the Athletic to spread this info before ralph has even been sacked as now if he has any more games it will be odd

3. Please stopping buying that rubbish paper, talking about che adams dogs as an exclusive and trying to get saints in the shit last year with the water break. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

Have wanted Ralph gone for some time, but these constant snidey leaks to the media are a disgrace. 
Stinks of a power struggle at the club between old and new. 

There can only be one winner though, that's those paying for the thing.

5 minutes ago, STEVEADAMS said:

Defining moment for SR, who are we and what do they want for the club. As the summer plans aren’t working. They need to make a statement of intent now,  but what top manager would want to take over, maybe promised funds for Jan, long term contract, I don’t know but as Ralph says it’s not my job to. Disappointed had such high hopes for Ralph, but the whole club seems to be riddled with we’re lucky to be there mentality while powerhouses like Brentford and Brighton continually outperform us.

Agreed, need less Ted Talks and for Ankersen & co to stamp their authority and show leadership and their vision.

His reputation was built at Brentford but they seem to have got their structure and personnel right, this needs to be done here as it seems the leadership and direction is lacking.

• Like 1

I want him gone and have for a while. He regularly makes decisions which support my opinion. That said, I do think we need to feel some sympathy for him.

I can’t imagine he wanted the strike force he’s been given. When you look at the misses today you have to feel sorry for him. It must be so frustrating to work hard all week (as I’m sure he does) to see what few chances we do create get thrown away pathetically. 

if we still had Ings, or a striker of his sort of quality, then I’m sure we’d be much better off given we’re still only 4 points off 11th 

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

The striker claim here is very worrying.  

Over the past decade, the club has prided itself on being able to unearth good quality players (minus Carillo) thanks to an extensive network of scouts.  So why on earth wasn’t there a plan B or even a plan C in terms of potential strikers for us to sign if the Broja deal fell through? Why is a Premier League operation putting all its eggs in one basket for THE position that needed strengthening the most?  This is the main reason we are in the bottom three. 

And if Jacob Tanswell is to be believed, Che Adams was also told he was free to leave in the summer? I just can’t get my head around it. 

Personally I think it's hilarious that so many people are talking about hkw obvious it is that we needed a plan b or c or how clear it was that we messed up badly in the summer. How many people were actually saying this when the window closed and how many were wanking over the window, saying it was a ten our of ten window and how many were slagging off those who were disillusioned or who said what everyone is saying now in September? Not saying it was you Maggie may, just highlighting the point. 

23 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

2. Dick move by the Athletic to spread this info before ralph has even been sacked as now if he has any more games it will be odd

3. Please stopping buying that rubbish paper, talking about che adams dogs as an exclusive and trying to get saints in the shit last year with the water break. 

I think the only "dick moves" being made are by the club.

Clearly leaking like a sieve to The Athletic and making themselves look absolutely shambolic.

Blaming a decent journo for being first to a story seems to me as off-target as Che Adams.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Express reporting it too, probably be announced officially tomorrow if it's going to happen, the change should have been made a lot sooner and whoever it is coming in the club hopefully will have listed relegation battle experience as a pre requisite 

The Express has been telling us we will get 20ft of Snow in the coming weeks for umpteen years.

34 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Yeah poor "journalism". An article penned by a Saints fan very soo  after a terrible result at home...likely to be in an  emotional state. 

Really hasn't said anything, more making a prediction to attempt to be the exclusive when the inevitable happens, can then claim "knowledge". 

Almost as pathetic as the performance was today. 

Sheldon clearly still has links to the club, he broke the takeover story as well. 

I know Ralph seems to be despised by many, but as a fan of this club I appreciate anyone who puts their time and effort into 'trying' to make things better and I'll always appreciate Ralph for that. We had some decent times where he was able to assemble a team from this rabble, but ultimately it has been fraught with frustration and many what ifs.

I've always felt we got Ralph at the wrong time when we had zero backing, he tried to implement his ways with players nowhere near good enough for it. And slowly his way has just evaporated, and I think we've changed him. He was always known and proven as an attacking coach, gegenpressing the fancy term for it, and he did it very well at RB - but with better players. He has now morphed into a cautious coach, which has actually made us a really confused outfit. We don't seem to know what to do in possession anymore due to the complete and utter fear of making a mistake. 

I can see him doing a good job as a Technical Director or such, but I think as a manager his experience with us has probably finished him off sadly.

• Like 10

I feel for Ralph - he comes across as a broken man and has done for quite a while.  He's just out of ideas: how can you make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?  

Players like Adams, Moi, etc. are an absolute joke: no manager will be able to miraculously make them good or clinical in front of goal.  Looking at the defenders reactions to Adams latest horrific miss ( they sank to their knees on the half way line) and JWPs look of utter disgust was telling.  What must it be like for the team knowing that no matter what they do our "strikers" are beyond useless.

We should be grateful for what Ralph achieved during his time here - but we are long overdue for a change.  It's gone completely stale.

However, if we do not get a creative midfielder and a decent striker we are as good as down no matter who the manager is.

• Like 1

I cannot believe there’s any supporter that did not or still does not want Ralph to succeed, however for reasons we may not be fully aware of, the performances on the pitch have been extremely poor.  And the troubling thing is that this has been apparent for two seasons and not properly addressed.

There has been some improvement across the defensive line, however that’s masked a new young goalkeeper being given the no.1 shirt but actually not being an EPL level player.  The midfield and attack have been progressively weakened without sufficient quality being brought in, with some players apparently losing their way because they rely on better players being next them (e.g. JWP and Romeu).

However, the above is overshadowed by the style of football we play…overly defensive, predictable in attack and a lack of precision in passing. This is not about silky skills, it’s about resilience, belief and stamina and if our players are not able to achieve the fitness levels expected of them to move faster then our recruitment and coaching staff need the light shone on them.

Ralph may not be entirely to blame then, but inevitably if something is not working a change needs to be made. And in the case of SFC’s continued tenure in the EPL that needs to be made without further delay. Plus we need at least one excellent proven striker in January…possibly also an attacking midfielder too.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

27 minutes ago, washsaint said:

I feel for Ralph - he comes across as a broken man and has done for quite a while.  He's just out of ideas: how can you make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?  

Players like Adams, Moi, etc. are an absolute joke: no manager will be able to miraculously make them good or clinical in front of goal.  Looking at the defenders reactions to Adams latest horrific miss ( they sank to their knees on the half way line) and JWPs look of utter disgust was telling.  What must it be like for the team knowing that no matter what they do our "strikers" are beyond useless.

We should be grateful for what Ralph achieved during his time here - but we are long overdue for a change.  It's gone completely stale.

However, if we do not get a creative midfielder and a decent striker we are as good as down no matter who the manager is.

I've been saying this for a long time, a good striker lifts the whole team. Conversely having ones that can't score drags the whole team down. Why bust a gut getting good balls into the box when you know there's a 95% that they won't be put away by your team mate? You end up with side ways, safety first play, which we all hate.

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

However, the above is overshadowed by the style of football we play…overly defensive, predictable in attack and a lack of precision in passing. This is not about silky skills, it’s about resilience, belief and stamina and if our players are not able to achieve the fitness levels expected of them to move faster then our recruitment and coaching staff need the light shone on them.

Ralph may not be entirely to blame then, but inevitably if something is not working a change needs to be made. And in the case of SFC’s continued tenure in the EPL that needs to be made without further delay. Plus we need at least one excellent proven striker in January…possibly also an attacking midfielder too.

As I said above, I believe the first follows from the second.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

Yeah poor "journalism". An article penned by a Saints fan very soo  after a terrible result at home...likely to be in an  emotional state

Really hasn't said anything, more making a prediction to attempt to be the exclusive when the inevitable happens, can then claim "knowledge". 

Almost as pathetic as the performance was today. 

You what?

Are you suggesting this article is made up?

5 hours ago, washsaint said:

If only we had a Danny Welbeck up front, we would be 6th or something

• Haha 1

I think some leaders are good in turnaround like when he came in after Hughes and some are good taking it on to transform a club. I think he did good job rallying and getting people together at start but it is way beyond his capability and has been for a very long time. 

concern now is the combination of the amount of change needed and the young players ability to deliver it. Just feels too little to late to me. Whoever comes in has an almighty challenge. Think we should not be surprised how difficult they will find it…. Whoever it is

We can’t even sack a manager properly, all I keep hearing is ‘Southampton have decided to sack Ralph Hasenhuttl’ when anyone else would just do it and announce that they’ve parted ways. It’s embarrassing!! There’s nothing to be gained by continuing to the break with this clown in charge, he knows he’s done, the players know he’s done and we know he’s done. 

• Like 2

Feel sad the way it's going to end, he's done a decent job overall the past 4 years. But absolutely no choice now, it's clear things aren't going to change. Players need someone new to come in and switch it around. 

I think it's absolutely disgusting that his sacking (or not) is being discussed in the media. If he's going to be sacked the board should do it the proper way, their silence so far speaks volumes. I accept it may not be their fault entirely if someone is leaking stories, but they must have seen the stories coming out last night and should have responded accordingly. Show a bit of leadership, not too much to ask is it?!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dorchester Saint said:

We can’t even sack a manager properly, all I keep hearing is ‘Southampton have decided to sack Ralph Hasenhuttl’ when anyone else would just do it and announce that they’ve parted ways. It’s embarrassing!! There’s nothing to be gained by continuing to the break with this clown in charge, he knows he’s done, the players know he’s done and we know he’s done. 

It's clear there is something more at play than incompetence. There are leaks to the media here either from someone inside the club who wants Ralph out or SR themselves. The whole Athletic article yesterday smacked of that, from the timing of it, the stuff said about when it would be done. That isn't some bumbling idiot spouting off to the media, there is an agenda at play to make it untenable for Ralph, to me that's really shabby way to treat any employee or colleague. Lets hope any new manager doesnt think we are a bunch of backstabbing scumbags.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It's clear there is something more at play than incompetence. There are leaks to the media here either from someone inside the club who wants Ralph out or SR themselves. The whole Athletic article yesterday smacked of that, from the timing of it, the stuff said about when it would be done. That isn't some bumbling idiot spouting off to the media, there is an agenda at play to make it untenable for Ralph, to me that's really shabby way to treat any employee or colleague. Lets hope any new manager doesnt think we are a bunch of backstabbing scumbags.

Agree with that. On the last bit, it'll be someone unknown or so keen to have crack at PL management that they won't be fussed about that. From the outside, it feels like a proper shambles though. I'll resist being the first to ask whether it really was worse under Gao. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

My money is on Redmond for that leak.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Based in what? Redmond came across brilliantly in the article posted on here, and would have nothing to gain. Seems clear to me that there's all sorts bubbling away behind the scenes, and the leaks/plants are calculated and coming from way above player level. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think the initial stories of unrest and senior players wanting him gone in the summer may well have come from him in all honesty. There’s still something strange about the way Redmond went from being picked no matter what to unused sub at best in a few weeks.

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Lets hope any new manager doesnt think we are a bunch of backstabbing scumbags.

I doubt they would care. PL football is a multi-billion pound, cut-throat industry. Nobody goes into management in that environment under any illusions that they will be treated fairly and equitably if things don't go well.

At the moment, all we have is rumours in the press. the fact is that nobody (on this forum or anywhere else) actually knows what is going on behind the scenes, so to suggest that SR's behaviour is unsavoury is just pure speculation at this point.

Robbie Savage (yes, I know he's an idiot) kept saying on the radio last night how ridiculous it was that the club had 'announced' that Ralph would be going but not until after the Liverpool game !

This sort of lazy journalism only inflames those who are interested and is an insult to both Ralph and the directors !

I'm pretty sure that there is a lot of substance in the 'speculation' but surely the BBC can tell the difference between official and unofficial !!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl