Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

5 minutes ago, SFC Forever said:

When did Howe have multiple years in the premier league? unless I missed something his main time was with Bournemouth

Are you serious? 

SAF didn’t have multiple years in the premier league because they were all with Manchester United?

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SFC Forever said:

When did Howe have multiple years in the premier league? unless I missed something his main time was with Bournemouth

5 seasons in the Premier League not multiple now? Its more than Ralph for a start. 2014 to 2020.

How many seasons qualifies as multiple in your world?

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

A foul ?.... YES  but made to look worse in the pitch-sodden conditions.

referee Atkinson was satisfied with a yellow card, which was made worse by the player's dramatic fall,

then I was waiting to see if they would come onto the field with a stretcher, or a coffin  but he recovered "miraculously".

Mike Dean forced Atkinson's hand and  consequently  " closed ranks " and back him.    Slow-mo VAR replays are fatal.

Ralph didn't sat anything that the majority didn't agree with, but he will pay the penalty for saying it .

• Like 3

12 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

He is doing well based on the hand he was dealt.

I think we would have been relegated by now with someone like Eddie Howe at the helm

How much longer is the excuse of being dealt a bad hand going to be viable I wonder. A lot of his “bad hands” have been self dealt. 

• Like 1

On 14/10/2021 at 06:55, CB Fry said:

Marked downturn? Funny really because I thought 19-20 was a pretty decent season and of course we then went into 20-21 and went top of the league and beat Liverpool etc etc. All of that was sans Danny Rohl. All of it.

Or are you conveniently saying that the post Rohl downturn happened after that Liverpool match in Jan 21, 18 months after his departure?

As it stands Rohl has not been a manager in his own right anywhere. Let's see where his career takes him.

Its pretty clear that Rohl was liked around the place a did a decent job, but the results on the pitch are not really related to his presence. Our very best run was more than a year after he left.

Its just a myth clung to on here because there's always been an obsession with assistant managers on this forum and always a massive over estimation on how important they are.

So spare us the "look how innovative my thinking is" and look at the actual facts.

As usual the context is lost in the rush to make a point. The issue here is that the idea of having a strong assistant manager is not an unusual one but was trashed by the usual know-alls on here. Take a look at the managerial/coaching strength with many top sides to see evidence that it can work if there’s a will (and money of course).

Fact is Ralph’s results continue to deteriorate, so the Board can either replace him entirely (likely) or find a way to bolster the coaching team with PL experience (slightly innovative compared to the usual merry go round). Ralph has plenty of good attributes but his golden moments are far behind him and getting 3 points has eluded him significantly of late. If he doesn’t turn things around quickly change is inevitable.

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

As usual the context is lost in the rush to make a point. The issue here is that the idea of having a strong assistant manager is not an unusual one but was trashed by the usual know-alls on here. Take a look at the managerial/coaching strength with many top sides to see evidence that it can work if there’s a will (and money of course).

Fact is Ralph’s results continue to deteriorate, so the Board can either replace him entirely (likely) or find a way to bolster the coaching team with PL experience (slightly innovative compared to the usual merry go round). Ralph has plenty of good attributes but his golden moments are far behind him and getting 3 points has eluded him significantly of late. If he doesn’t turn things around quickly change is inevitable.

We have an assistant manager - Kitzbichler - who was in place for our "best ever calendar year" run of form and when we went top of the league that day. What's he done thats so wrong?

If you can let me know of a club who have been in a significant down turn of form, but have then got out of it by replacing the assistant manager (or employing an additional coach) then I'm all ears. Because I genuinely have no idea of any clubs that have done this to any notable effect.

Take your time though, because it would be awful if all you were doing is "rushing to make a point".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

He is doing well based on the hand he was dealt.

I think we would have been relegated by now with someone like Eddie Howe at the helm

Whilst I very much think that anyone with Ralph’s recent record and 2 9-0 defeats for good measure, makes their position untenable, I also do agree that I’m not sure anyone else we could attract (I.e Howe) would keep us up in our current state. 

The issue is, that I don’t think Ralph will either. 

That being said, there will almost certainly be managers on the continent, like Ralph at the time, who are held in high regard and see us as a route to bigger things in the PL. I’m just not sure I trust our board to find them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

We have an assistant manager - Kitzbichler - who was in place for our "best ever calendar year" run of form and when we went top of the league that day. What's he done thats so wrong?

If you can let me know of a club who have been in a significant down turn of form, but have then got out of it by replacing the assistant manager (or employing an additional coach) then I'm all ears. Because I genuinely have no idea of any clubs that have done this to any notable effect.

Take your time though, because it would be awful if all you were doing is "rushing to make a point".

Newcastle last year, they kept Bruce but brought in Graeme Jones to the coaching staff - and their results and performances took an uptick. The impact Jones made was actually discussed on MNF at one point

I don't think Saint Fan CAM is looking for a replacement for Kitzbichler (or anyone really) and I don't think people are dismissing his role, I just think we could do with some additional strength and experience in the background which isn't Kelvin Davis or Craig Fleming etc. Kelvin and Craig should focus on the U21's and earn their experience there (and that level needs help...). They were pretty much thrust straight into senior football coaching with no experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Newcastle last year, they kept Bruce but brought in Graeme Jones to the coaching staff - and their results and performances took an uptick. The impact Jones made was actually discussed on MNF at one point

I don't think Saint Fan CAM is looking for a replacement for Kitzbichler (or anyone really) and I don't think people are dismissing his role, I just think we could do with some additional strength and experience in the background which isn't Kelvin Davis or Craig Fleming etc. Kelvin and Craig should focus on the U21's and earn their experience there (and that level needs help...). They were pretty much thrust straight into senior football coaching with no experience.

Who is "they" - was this guy brought in above Steve Bruce's head? Or did Steve identify the need and recruit? 

And didn't Newcastle have a massive injury crisis (worse than ours) and covid crisis mid season which eased at the end of the season when they pulled away safe. 

A lot of this debate in predicated on the notion that Ralph needs help imposed on him, against will but for his own good. On top you then get this idea that if he had things his own way Kelvin Davies wouldn't be there etc etc.

But Ralph has been in role for 3 years, and he could have things his own way - if he wanted to bin off Kelvin he could have done it by now. It's hardly going to be expensive or controversial. 

20 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Who is "they" - was this guy brought in above Steve Bruce's head? Or did Steve identify the need and recruit? 

And didn't Newcastle have a massive injury crisis (worse than ours) and covid crisis mid season which eased at the end of the season when they pulled away safe. 

A lot of this debate in predicated on the notion that Ralph needs help imposed on him, against will but for his own good. On top you then get this idea that if he had things his own way Kelvin Davies wouldn't be there etc etc.

But Ralph has been in role for 3 years, and he could have things his own way - if he wanted to bin off Kelvin he could have done it by now. It's hardly going to be expensive or controversial. 

Graeme Jones must have been slacking off this season because they're back in the relegation zone

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Graeme Jones must have been slacking off this season because they're back in the relegation zone

All that pre-season to "bed in" and get his ideas across and improve on everything, too. No wins in 8 matches, in the relegation zone and out of the league cup.

It really is a terrific example of a new coach really shaking things up.

3 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

He wasn't with them in pre-season, he only had a 6 month contract and then joined up with England in the summer.

I 'think' he's back with them now on some sort of deal, but he certainly wasn't there during pre-season as I remember the panic articles from Georgie's about his unavailability.

6 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Yeah, you must be right. After all, Ralph’s results in 2021 have been exceptional and it’s clear he (& his current staff of coaches) have everything under control. There’s no need to think outside the box, because let’s face it we have money to spend on new players in January and/or pick from a huge pool of talent in the Academy. Yep, nothing to see here…move on.

Hey, just realised this facetious response game is quite easy and fun.😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yeah, you must be right. After all, Ralph’s results in 2021 have been exceptional and it’s clear he (& his current staff of coaches) have everything under control. There’s no need to think outside the box, because let’s face it we have money to spend on new players in January and/or pick from a huge pool of talent in the Academy. Yep, nothing to see here…move on.

God knows what you're babbling about now. Where have I said anything about Ralph’s recent results being exceptional or even good? Christ.

All I've seen on here is "let's recruit Eddie Howe as Ralph’s assistant" - fucking mental. And then let's use a club with no wins and below us in the bloody table as a role model example of a fantastic coaching appointment. You can hardly blame me for being facetious when faced with such horseshit.

Ralph Hasenhuttl is accountable for his own backroom team in the sane way he's accountable for the team he puts out.

I just don't agree that he needs assistants forced on him, I don't think he needs help parachuted from above. I don't think we are a bloody assistant manager away from triumph.

He is making these choices, its on him. If he fails, then he fails on his own terms. Let's hope doesn't.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 13/10/2021 at 13:29, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why don’t we get Nigel Adkins in as well. Having  Nigel, Eddie Howe & Ralph as joint managers would be a dream set up. Shame their egos are too big to contemplate it. Fucking big heads…

That's unfair in terms of Nigel, and he's texted to say he has just MOTed the Ford Focus and has his own bucket and sponge.

I don't think Eddie Howe is the man, but there might be something in thinking outside the box. How about a classically Saints version of the Three Tenors with the elevation of Erwin Koeman, Wally Downes and Sammy Lee. A heady mix of laid back Euro nous, chirpy cockney optimism with underlying menace, and condensed scouse animation and volatility.  All love the area, and retain studio flats across the city.  Unconventional perhaps, but still more compelling than Eddie fucking Howe.    

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Best not to get drawn in. He's been on my ignore list for years.

• Like 1

Ralphs decision to move to a 4141 with three players in the middle of the pitch completely nullified Leeds. People often say that managers (especially Ralph) get out tacticed when their team simply let them down with individual errors but that was definitely a tactical victory for Ralph, 19 shots to their 3, reducing them to not a single shot on target. Excellent.

And the result of changing formations, will remember this next time the "tactically inflexible" line comes out...

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TWar said:

Ralphs decision to move to a 4141 with three players in the middle of the pitch completely nullified Leeds.

That didn't happen, we played 4222/442 throughout the entire game.

Broja even states he was upfront with Redmond in this interview...

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

That didn't happen, we played 4222/442 throughout the entire game.

I disagree with this, Elyounoussi played centrally most of the game in my opinion, Diallo played higher than Romeu and Broja played most of the game as a lone striker. Redmond drifted all over the place so it made it hard to stick it down to a clear formation in the front three (Djenepo, Redmond, Broja), but it was definitely a midfield three for me. Maybe a 433 I guess.

When we brought on Stu then Elyounoussi went out to where Djenepo had been playing and Stu took his role but I don't think we ever played a 4222, and certainly not a 442.

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

I disagree with this, Elyounoussi played centrally most of the game in my opinion, Diallo played higher than Romeu and Broja played most of the game as a lone striker. Redmond drifted all over the place so it made it hard to stick it down to a clear formation in the front three (Djenepo, Redmond, Broja), but it was definitely a midfield three for me. Maybe a 433 I guess.

When we brought on Stu then Elyounoussi went out to where Djenepo had been playing and Stu took his role but I don't think we ever played a 4222, and certainly not a 442.

Average position map shows it was 442/4222 with Elyounoussi's average looking very central due to switching wings when Armstrong came on. Romeu was not deeper than Diallo and Redmond was central and on average slightly higher than Broja.

image.png.e0ef5e1fdb9166aac9fcf90143829182.png

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Average position map shows it was 442/4222 with Elyounoussi's average looking very central due to switching wings. Romeu was not deeper than Diallo.

Average position map is a little misleading as Elyounoussi changed positions when Djenepo came off and Diallo dropped deeper after that with Armstrong ahead of them.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Average position map is a little misleading as Elyounoussi changed positions when Djenepo came off and Diallo dropped deeper after that with Armstrong ahead of them.

I said in the post you just quoted... "Elyounoussi's average looking very central due to switching wings". So it averages out to be more central even though he was playing wider. When Armstrong came on he was playing in front of Livramento on the right.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I said in the post you just quoted... "Elyounoussi's average looking very central due to switching wings". So it averages out to be more central even though he was playing wider. When Armstrong came on he was playing in front of Livramento on the right.

Agree to disagree I guess. I thought up until Djenepo came off we went

Macca

Livramento Bednarek Salisu Perraud

----------Romeu--------------

Elyounoussi-------Diallo

Redmond-------Djenepo

---------Broja-----------

In kind of an attacking 433/4141 and then after Djenepo came off we went to

Macca

----Romeu-------Diallo-------

-----------Armstrong---------

Redmond-------Elyounoussi

Both with a pretty flexible front three though with Redmond often swapping with Broja who ran the channels well.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Macca

Elyounoussi-------Diallo

Redmond-------Djenepo

Macca

Both with a pretty flexible front three though with Redmond often swapping with Broja who ran the channels well.

It wasn't at all like that. Redmond was central, you could see us pressing throughout with two strikers and two number 10s slightly wider.

When Walcott came on he was central alongside Redmond, like Broja had been.

Why do you think Broja says in post match interview that Redmond was his strike partner? Or why Redmond's average position is so central here? Or why Diallo and Romeu's positions are both in similar areas with Diallo actually slightly deeper?

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Average position map shows it was 442/4222 with Elyounoussi's average looking very central due to switching wings when Armstrong came on. Romeu was not deeper than Diallo and Redmond was central and on average slightly higher than Broja.

It's very surprising that we kept a clean sheet while playing McCarthy left wing and Livramento in goal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, TWar said:

Macca

Elyounoussi-------Diallo

Redmond-------Djenepo

Macca

Don't know if you were at the match but I'd be amazed if you thought it was ever 4141 if you were there. 433 a possibility, but essentially it was our regular 4222 with Redmond having a very free roaming role.

1 hour ago, Alanh said:

Don't know if you were at the match but I'd be amazed if you thought it was ever 4141 if you were there. 433 a possibility, but essentially it was our regular 4222 with Redmond having a very free roaming role.

Exactly this, it was very much our regular formation - but Redmond did drop deeper than Broja and like you said had a free role to drift around, but primarily he was central with Moussa and Ely on the other sides.

Anyone else think even if we were on the verge of going down, we persist with him in the Championship to help try and get us back up again?

I think I probably would

As Lord D would say, "long live the teflon cult that is Ralph with his choir boy Ward-Prowse"

41 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

2 more games and Ralph will have overtaken Adkins for number of games managed. 6 more games and he'll overtake Branfoot, becoming our longest serving manager since Chris Nicholl

In terms of time he is already longer serving than Branfoot and Adkins. Those two had longer league seasons (used be be a 22 team PL for Branfoot and 24 team leagues for Adkins).

Edited by Matthew Le God

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

In terms of time he is already longer serving than Branfoot and Adkins. Those two had longer league seasons (used be be a 22 team PL for Branfoot and 24 team leagues for Adkins).

Yep, surprised it has passed without more comment really (or maybe I just missed it).

It feels good to break the managerial merry-go-round we've been on, even if results have been up and down (to say the least)

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

Since this all about Ralf...........

Well played Ralf and team, it is getting better each game, players are getting the system Ralf has employed and executing it much more effectively.  He may be my favorite coach of all time. Why you say dat...many of the none Ralf fans cry out....because of the Man has a plan! A bloody playbook! A style that is exciting, brave, energetic and full of automism :) , I am learning Ralfy.

He has employed the press better than any manager has, ( yes, better than Poch) but it took awhile,  alot of triggers needed to be learned, pressing as a team, covering the spaces left by the pressure, etc. Ralf is so committed to his style he will not change his plans even when we are getting thumped, keep pressing, stretching, learn it as we loose, because we have to get it right!

Tella's preseason interview confirmed that Ralf was drilling the press into them, so much that Tella thought we are much better at it and "any team that can defeat our press has done very well". I see it for myself, and it looks alot more solid, our defensive record is improving as we get better at the system. This is a very difficult system, even the master, Beliesa was shown how it is done!

Ralf's passion to do better is infectious, he is totally living the game as it goes on. The recruiting since he has been here is excellent for the budget we have. Even the so called usless players (moi, redder, dj) are now being seen as good players, that is good coaching. 

Ralf may not be everyones cup of tea, but for me I would have no one else, a big man, big character,  big ideas, big results and I big up my coach. Thank you for making Saints exciting again, win or loss, it is usually exciting ball.

Ps. Found it very amusing watching Manu trying to press when they were loosing, not a  CLUE! with the intro of Ronaldo this season, they will never be able to press a team effectively again. If it is a half hearted press it will fail and leave you more exposed.

BIG UP THE TEAM,  THEY ALL PLAYED VERY WELL!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am in a bit of a quandary with Ralph. I really like the guy. He lives and breathes Saints/Football. I still believe that in the long run he could/will be an excellent manager for us, however, I am finding some of his team selections difficult to explain. The lack of opportunities for Nathan Tella and Kyle Walker-Peters (who was my Player of the Season last year) etc are mystifying. The use of a fading Shane Long (who I have always liked as a player) and Theo Walcott when better players are on the bench equally so. On the plus side, during his tenure, we have,at times, played some good, entertaining and exciting football and tweaked the noses of the "Big Boys" for the first time in years. On the down side we have had some of our worse performances under him too. I am, though, very concerned that should we replace him, who will/would come in with the situation that the club finds itself in with Mr Gao, and in the long term be able to take us forward. It is a conundrum.....

• Like 2

I'm even more against sacking him now than I was before the start of the season. I think we have improved a lot and he is trying out new formations which he didn't do before. I also don't get the negativity towards Ralph after yesterdays game (apart from not bringing Walcott off sooner), and booing at the end is just a joke. We scored two against a team who keep it very very tight and organised and are really hard to break down (hence the slow build up play which a lot of the less knowledgable football fans didn't seem to understand.) What cost us the game yesterday was two defensive errors from Tino and Bednarek, nothing to do with the manager. We can't be scoring two at home against teams like Burnley and not winning and it was the individual mistakes yesterday that cost us. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tunit said:

I'm even more against sacking him now than I was before the start of the season. I think we have improved a lot and he is trying out new formations which he didn't do before. I also don't get the negativity towards Ralph after yesterdays game (apart from not bringing Walcott off sooner), and booing at the end is just a joke. We scored two against a team who keep it very very tight and organised and are really hard to break down (hence the slow build up play which a lot of the less knowledgable football fans didn't seem to understand.) What cost us the game yesterday was two defensive errors from Tino and Bednarek, nothing to do with the manager. We can't be scoring two at home against teams like Burnley and not winning and it was the individual mistakes yesterday that cost us. 

It’s amazing how many results aren’t Ralph’s fault. It’s individual errors, the ref, the VAR, injuries ,  it’s never ever his fault. Unless we win of course, then it’s down to Ralph as opposed to the opposition having injuries, individual mistakes, mistakes by refs or by var. You can analyse every goal and pin point a mistake, we not unique in that respect. The simple fact is Burnley are pretty shite and we couldn’t beat them. On the back of our horrendous run last season, we’re heading into November having only won one game. That’s not bad luck, nobody is that unlucky. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s amazing how many results aren’t Ralph’s fault. It’s individual errors, the ref, the VAR, injuries ,  it’s never ever his fault. Unless we win of course, then it’s down to Ralph as opposed to the opposition having injuries, individual mistakes, mistakes by refs or by var. You can analyse every goal and pin point a mistake, we not unique in that respect. The simple fact is Burnley are pretty shite and we couldn’t beat them. On the back of our horrendous run last season, we’re heading into November having only won one game. That’s not bad luck, nobody is that unlucky. 

Would you be this negative if Broja's shot that hit the post against West Ham went in or the officials didn't bottle our penalty decision against City? I can't say that anyone has been unlucky against us this season so far. None of the teams who failed to beat us deserved to win. However you can say that there have been games we didn't get three points where we fully deserved them.

16 minutes ago, tunit said:

Would you be this negative if Broja's shot that hit the post against West Ham went in or the officials didn't bottle our penalty decision against City? I can't say that anyone has been unlucky against us this season so far. None of the teams who failed to beat us deserved to win. However you can say that there have been games we didn't get three points where we fully deserved them.

Yep, Ralph is the unluckiest manager to ever walk the earth.

If you took your Ralph specs off, you’d see that Leeds were pretty unlucky with injuries when we faced them. But that’s the nature of the game. These things even themselves out over a  period. We’re struggling because we’ve got poor players and an average manager, it’s that simple. It’s not down to bad luck, referees, injuries or some other nonsense. Other sides hit the post, get bad decisions, injuries and make mistakes. The difference is their managers are accountable for results, ours doesn’t seem to be. 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl