Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The past gradually counts for nothing. 

Exactly. It doesn't matter how good we were in 2020. This is 2021, and we've been shit. If that form continues, our 2020 form wont help us avoid relegation. 

Comments about 2020 form are utterly pointless. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Agree that the past doesn't matter (in the context of discussing current form), but if someone makes an incorrect statement about the past,  isn't it reasonable to point out what they've said is incorrect?

P.s. I really enjoyed us winning the league in 1983...

Edited by trousers

23 minutes ago, RobM said:

But that was a clash of egos as much as anything, and since then RK has gone on to achieve not a lot in multiple ‘bigger’ managerial roles. Maybe he’s the managerial equivalent of Billy Sharp; too good at one level, not quite good enough at the next? 

I’m not advocating getting rid of Ralph yet, but if we did Koeman would make a lot of sense as a replacement. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love the guy, just don’t see it happening. He put us on the global stage, Ralphy boy has in part turned us into a provincial club, a Norwich if you like.

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

Agree that the past doesn't matter (in the context of discussing current form), but if someone makes an incorrect statement about the past,  isn't it reasonable to point out what they've said is incorrect?

Yet again you have it wrong, it was 1984.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, egg said:

Exactly. It doesn't matter how good we were in 2020. This is 2021, and we've been shit. If that form continues, our 2020 form wont help us avoid relegation. 

If you take them out of context then yes. But they were a response to a suggestion that we had no spells of good form under Hasenhüttl, which is clearly nonsense. The entire calendar year of 2020 is a significant sample size!

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Minsk said:

I am perfectly calm thanks. Also, thanks for your 'patronising' reply (pot/kettle). Let me refer to your points in reverse order:

3. I am far from being alone in sussing out that you are so obviously SKD who stopped posting (wasn't banned, as well you know) at the same time you started. Strangely, or not, I can think of some other posters - Dell Days, Bournemouth (to give them their original names) - who also denied being who they were at first. 

Given you’re clearly on the hunt for an argument with anyone possible, I’m not even going to engage in the rest of your post. To be honest, I can’t even be arsed to read it given you’re trying to argue about a if a poster is banned or not. 

However, I’ve never confirmed nor denied that I am SKD, to be honest, it’s irrelevant anyway. What I can 1000000% assure you, SKD was definitely banned, he / she / they certainly weren’t bullied off pal 😂😂 Nice try though Sherlock. 

The last ill say on the matter. 

On to Ralph. Big game for him today imo. Not expecting a win, but we could easily get turned over heavily which would leave the board almost no choice but to start twitching, if they aren’t already. 

3 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

we are nearing 2022 and the last 9 months have been depressing, confusing, illogical and mind numbing. I’ve lost faith in him completely and just because “there is no one else out there” I think it’s time the Board appointed someone who at least recognises a square peg from a round hole. 

I feel exactly the same way. Absolutely loved Ralph when he arrived, was so pleased when he signed a four year deal to commit to the club but yeah since the turn of the year the decisions have got more confusing, the football has often been too laboured and when we do play well its only for an hour tops in a game and the opposition make hay when we go off the boil.

I understand the restrictions hes under with no money being pumped into the club from the owner BUT the issue I have is that he has the players to make this a half decent team but he either ignores them for his favourites or he plays them out of position or sticks to his rigid formation even when its blatantly not working in a match. 

He must be one of the very few, if not only Prem League managers to survive with a the record of W4, D6, L17 under his belt.......and thats ignoring the 2 x 0-9's 

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

If you take them out of context then yes. But they were a response to a suggestion that we had no spells of good form under Hasenhüttl, which is clearly nonsense. The entire calendar year of 2020 is a significant sample size!

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I get what you both say, and if proving your point floats your boat, then crack on.

For me though, harping back to good times is a bit like being in a relationship that's fucked and reminiscing on that lovely spell from the past. All very nostalgic, but your relationship is still fucked. 

2 hours ago, austsaint said:

Quite apart from the horrendous record Ralph has in 2021, I keep coming back to the point someone made about him (Vectis Saint?)....if he wasn't such a likeable, passionate character he would probably have been gone some time ago.

You say he's a passionate character but that passion doesn't seem to transfer to the pitch this year & the players have to take some responsibility for that but maybe it just isn't working maybe the players have lost a little respect for Ralph what with weird formations & dropping players for the Shane longs & Redmond's of the world & making players play out of position 

15 minutes ago, egg said:

if proving your point floats your boat, then crack on

I humbly apologise for simply pointing out that someone said something that was incorrect on a football forum.  If you want to misinterpret that as "proving a point" then, likewise, "crack on" #facepalm 

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, egg said:

harping back to good times

Neither myself nor MLG were "harping back to good times" 

(Apologies again if the mere act of pointing out an inaccuracy in someone's post is "proving a point")

#crackon

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, trousers said:

I humbly apologise for simply pointing out that someone said something that was incorrect on a football forum.  If you want to misinterpret that as "proving a point" then, likewise, "crack on" #facepalm 

20 minutes ago, trousers said:

Neither myself nor MLG were "harping back to good times" 

(Apologies again if the mere act of pointing out an inaccuracy in someone's post is "proving a point")

#crackon

Yes, we were good in 2020. We know. Pointing that out achieves nothing, we're still shit now, but well done for highlighting something meaningless 👏

6 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I reckon he’s toast after today.

He’s lost it, and the team look blunt and rudderless.

Only if we lose massively - seven, eight, nine - he'll go.

But a run of the mill 2-0, even 4-0 and he won't.

And that kind of defeat will get the usual response from the usual suspects on here: it's just a one off isolated result that people are knee jerk reacting to. Just one single isolated defeat, I can't believe how impatient people are, it's a one off a one off a one off. Etc etc etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Given you’re clearly on the hunt for an argument with anyone possible, I’m not even going to engage in the rest of your post. To be honest, I can’t even be arsed to read it given you’re trying to argue about a if a poster is banned or not. 

However, I’ve never confirmed nor denied that I am SKD, to be honest, it’s irrelevant anyway. What I can 1000000% assure you, SKD was definitely banned, he / she / they certainly weren’t bullied off pal 😂😂 Nice try though Sherlock. 

The last ill say on the matter. 

On to Ralph. Big game for him today imo. Not expecting a win, but we could easily get turned over heavily which would leave the board almost no choice but to start twitching, if they aren’t already. 

And there we have it....

I have said that I am not looking for arguments, but I did think a football forum was a place to debate, errrmmm, football (amongst other things). That often means putting forward opposing opinions to those of other posters and, in the best instance, giving reasons/examples/facts of said opinion. One should then accept or discredit those, whilst putting forward alternative or additional reasons/examples/facts - and on it goes. Debating, not arguing. That is why I am here and what I have been doing. 

Of course, there are the other types of poster: those with agendas; the trolls and wind up merchants; those who will never accept being wrong, ever; those who hate it when their stance is challenged. They are the ones who generally respond to any post which may challenge their view point with 'I can't even be arse to read this' or such like. Maybe because they can't argue the points posted? Maybe because they may have to admit some of what they said was wrong.  Maybe because the only debates they are capable of are 'mas' ones?

Have a nice day.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Yes, we were good in 2020. We know. Pointing that out achieves nothing, we're still shit now, but well done for highlighting something meaningless 👏

That period in 2020 he had the benefit of not having a team that was still stuck with the shackles of the Puel era and disasters of the past. Of course now in 2021 he does have all those shackles again. Shame really.

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

That period in 2020 he had the benefit of not having a team that was still stuck with the shackles of the Puel era and disasters of the past. Of course now in 2021 he does have all those shackles again. Shame really.

Yep...give him his own payers and he'd shine. Or something. 

• Like 1

Nice to see the knives being sharpened this morning in relish of a Saints defeat.

Yes, we have been shite in every match this season. We were terrible in the draws against Utd, City and West Ham. Didn't have a clue either in defence or attack in any of those matches. Rudderless. Up a creek without a paddle. And we certainly didn't outplay Newcastle for the majority of the match up there. No siree. We also didn't have more possession, shots, successful passes, etc, against Wolves. A match we lost because of one awful decision by Bednarek (assisted by Salisu slipping on his arse- clearly the manager's fault) and an inability to turn chances into goals.

But hey, yeh, if we lose against the pile of poo that is Chelsea, and their measly little squad, Ralph will certainly have to go! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rallyboy said:

A big day for Ralph, if we get a thumping he must be in big trouble.

Something has to change - formation, line-up, luck, manager, or all four.

But he has been here before after the first 9-0.

I'd have been one game from sacking him back then and he turned it around, if he can do it again, it needs to start now.

Why should he be in big trouble against the Euro Champions away when the team has performed pretty well so far

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I reckon he’s toast after today.

He’s lost it, and the team look blunt and rudderless.

Hope so 🙏.  The fact he plays kwp at left back and redmond and not tella shows he doesn't know what he's doing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, egg said:

Jesus Christ. Ok, let's make this simple for the ease of understanding...

YES, you are correct, highlighting that we were good in 2020 "achieves nothing", IF the reason for pointing it out was to counter the argument of how "shit" we are now.... BUT, that WASN'T the reason for mentioning it. The ONLY reason for mentioning it was to counter the comment that we've never had any good spells under RH, which was obviously a load of old tosh, as you agree.

Your go...

#crackon

#rocketscience

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Nice to see the knives being sharpened this morning in relish of a Saints defeat.

Yes, we have been shite in every match this season. We were terrible in the draws against Utd, City and West Ham. Didn't have a clue either in defence or attack in any of those matches. Rudderless. Up a creek without a paddle. And we certainly didn't outplay Newcastle for the majority of the match up there. No siree. We also didn't have more possession, shots, successful passes, etc, against Wolves. A match we lost because of one awful decision by Bednarek (assisted by Salisu slipping on his arse- clearly the manager's fault) and an inability to turn chances into goals.

But hey, yeh, if we lose against the pile of poo that is Chelsea, and their measly little squad, Ralph will certainly have to go! 

I don't see knives out. People are realistic though, this will be a tough day, and a defeat seems likely. My feeling is that we'll give them a game today but personally I won't judge Ralph on a defeat away to Chelsea. 

Although we've done well in a number of games this season, the only stat that really matters is the score and we need wins.

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Jesus Christ. Ok, let's make this simple for the ease of understanding...

YES, you are correct, highlighting that we were good in 2020 "achieves nothing", IF the reason for pointing it out was to counter the argument of how "shit" we are now. BUT, that WASN'T the reason for mentioning it. The ONLY reason for mentioning was to counter the comment that we've never had any good spells under RH.

Your go...

#crackon

I think you're the only that thinks it's important. It really isn't. 

Have a good Saturday mate, and enjoy the football. 

14 minutes ago, Minsk said:

I am certainly not relishing a defeat.  I would like nothing more than points on the board today.

5 minutes ago, egg said:

I think you're the only that thinks it's important

Putting words in my mouth again, but hey ho. All I did was counter an incorrect statement (which is by far the least important thing I've done over the last 53 years) for which, again, I humbly apologise. 

#mountain #molehill

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

You say he's a passionate character but that passion doesn't seem to transfer to the pitch this year & the players have to take some responsibility for that but maybe it just isn't working maybe the players have lost a little respect for Ralph what with weird formations & dropping players for the Shane longs & Redmond's of the world & making players play out of position 

Indeed; that's my point...being likeable and passionate should not be enough to keep you in the job with the results we have this calendar year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, austsaint said:

Indeed; that's my point...being likeable and passionate should not be enough to keep you in the job with the results we have this calendar year.

Team selections alone are so erratic than even his mrs is probably questioning wen he gets in after a game .. I reckon the dogs pick the side .. right klopp and pep (dogs names) two barks for a yes one bark for no … redmond ? …klopp (bark bark) …McCarthy? Pep (bark bark) …tella? Klopp ( bark)!!

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Minsk said:

There’s no knives, it’s a forum, people are entitled to their opinion, right or wrong, it is what it is. 
If you can hand on heart say you’ve been satisfied with the form in 2021 then good for you. The negative comments, as you would call it, are only because people are pissed off with the same old same old week after week.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, egg said:

I don't see knives out. People are realistic though, this will be a tough day, and a defeat seems likely. My feeling is that we'll give them a game today but personally I won't judge Ralph on a defeat away to Chelsea. 

Although we've done well in a number of games this season, the only stat that really matters is the score and we need wins.

Pleased to see you admit we have done well in 'a number of game this season'. Many above posted otherwise. I would say we have done well in two-thirds, 4 of the 6, and not bad in another 1.5. We have only really been poor in half a match, in my opinion. That isn't reason to sack the manager. Also pleased to see you won't be calling for his head should we, likely, lose today.

I wonder whether we can look into 2020 results more and say Ralph had the benefit of two breaks which is the reason why we had a very good calendar year? I know everyone else did as well but clearly our energetic style benefitted from it more so than others.

Also, the large part of 2020 was without a crowd - did that have an effect - was Ralph able to shout on the pitch a bit more?

It now appears though tactically many have found us out and Ralph hasn’t quite found the solutions to bring us more points.

Edited by nta786

15 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

There’s no knives, it’s a forum, people are entitled to their opinion, right or wrong, it is what it is. 
If you can hand on heart say you’ve been satisfied with the form in 2021 then good for you. The negative comments, as you would call it, are only because people are pissed off with the same old same old week after week.

Yeh, I get that. No, I haven't been satisfied with our form/results this calendar year. Our form hasn't been bad this SEASON though - 2nd half away to Everton aside. We matched Utd, City and West Ham; outplayed but not outscored Newcastle; had the better of the match against Wolves, just failed to get anything from it for reasons done to death. The reasons for the end of last season's form - which was as horrendous and the beginning was great - have also ben done to death. Many want to focus on the latter half and ignore the first half. I think both should be ignored and we should only focus on this season. We have played well in some fixtures and, arguably, have the toughest today. I get that we haven't won yet and know the importance of getting some wins under our belt. If we don't do so by the end of this month I will also be very worried. But we really haven't been as atrocious as many are making out.

• Like 2

I agree with you Minsk but when epl wins can be defined by such small margins and tiny details can be the difference between 0,1 and 3pts,  to me and I guess others Ralph is getting the details wrong,  he is almost there as a good manager so maybe its a lack of a very good assistant,  maybe that Ralph's stubborn and won't take on board other advice, as fans we don't know the inside chat we just c the basic picture, to me it's the unbalanced team v wolves which people have said maybe kwp was put on left to counter Traore, but totally negated the fact we needed to win that game, with Perouds added balance and the fact the 3 attempted crosses by kwp were awful whereas Peroud would've made those crosses, it little details like that that fans can't understand,  very similar to bringing on Long, I don't think he would get in any other epl team, the £120k or so wasted on Long and Walcotts wages could've quite easily been saved and put towards Caleta-carr rather than taking a punt on Lyanco, u can c why fans are so pissed off 

2 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

I agree with you Minsk but when epl wins can be defined by such small margins and tiny details can be the difference between 0,1 and 3pts,  to me and I guess others Ralph is getting the details wrong,  he is almost there as a good manager so maybe its a lack of a very good assistant,  maybe that Ralph's stubborn and won't take on board other advice, as fans we don't know the inside chat we just c the basic picture, to me it's the unbalanced team v wolves which people have said maybe kwp was put on left to counter Traore, but totally negated the fact we needed to win that game, with Perouds added balance and the fact the 3 attempted crosses by kwp were awful whereas Peroud would've made those crosses, it little details like that that fans can't understand,  very similar to bringing on Long, I don't think he would get in any other epl team, the £120k or so wasted on Long and Walcotts wages could've quite easily been saved and put towards Caleta-carr rather than taking a punt on Lyanco, u can c why fans are so pissed off 

Absolutely, I do get it. Just think many are going well OTT, completely ignoring the good bits and reasons for things happening, and just demanding we change the manager - as if that is guaranteed to change our fortune, which it isn't.

For example, I can understand why he played KWP at LB last week. He had a very good game there away at City and Perraud had played in the mid-week cup match. That said, I think he should have brought Perraud on once it became apparent KWP was being so ineffective. The people on here complaining now about KWP playing at LB weren't doing so after the City match. Indeed, many were full of praise for him. I am, as with everyone else, completely baffled as to why Long was brought on. I guess he must have had his reasons...

I was also unhappy with our acquisition of Lyanco. Was really hoping for someone with a much better track record. Caleta-Car would have also been my choice. Whether he would have come here or not is another matter. I certainly think we should have been able to afford both the fee and his salary. Can see why Long was given a new contract at the time, but it should have been 1 year, not 2. Can also see why Theo was signed on a free. He isn't what he was but he certainly offered something last season. His 3 goals and 4 assists only bettered by Stu A of our AMs. He also gives another option up front, and an experienced one at that. It's a long season and we will need alternatives/options as it progresses and injuries/suspensions come into play. I also don't think all of these decisions were made by Ralph, and he is unlikely to say 'I didn't really want this player, I really wanted player X'. That WOULD be bad management.

I don’t know what the problem is. This season we have looked exactly what we are, an average Premier league side. We have acquitted ourselves well against United, City and West Ham. We did well against Chelsea today until the sending off. Ralph worked wonders with an average squad in 2020. We haven’t been in a relegation battle with him and I don’t think we will be this season. We do need to start winning matches very soon though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I don’t know what the problem is. This season we have looked exactly what we are, an average Premier league side. We have acquitted ourselves well against United, City and West Ham. We did well against Chelsea today until the sending off. Ralph worked wonders with an average squad in 2020. We haven’t been in a relegation battle with him and I don’t think we will be this season. We do need to start winning matches very soon though.

An average Premier league team doesn't get relegated. With ralph in charge we will be relegated this season. He's spent alot more money than most teams in and around us yet we play worse football and get worse results. We are so boring to watch. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Streaky said:

An average Premier league team doesn't get relegated. With ralph in charge we will be relegated this season. He's spent alot more money than most teams in and around us yet we play worse football and get worse results. We are so boring to watch. 

Can we get the lottery numbers? Also he has actually spent less than every other team in the league this summer in that we actually made a £20m odd profit.

Regarding Ralph, if JWP didn't make a stupid tackle I rate us to pick up something there, then we would have played 4 of last seasons top 5 and emerged unbeaten. As is, JWP made an uncharacteristic stupid mistake and cost us. Not much the manager could do about that.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Streaky said:

An average Premier league team doesn't get relegated. 1) With ralph in charge we will be relegated this season. 2) He's spent alot more money than most teams in and around us yet we play worse football and get worse results. 3) We are so boring to watch

1) Did you say that in the previous 3 seasons?

2) That is demonstrably nonsense!

3) Today was away vs the European Champions and we were pressing them high up the pitch and not parking the bus. Hardly a 'boring' approach to take.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

How much would it cost the club to pay off Ralph's contract? How much to buy the next manager out of theirs, if we went down that route? 

In our financial situation, and this early in the season, I'd consider that sort of spending seriously wasteful.

33 minutes ago, TWar said:

Can we get the lottery numbers? Also he has actually spent less than every other team in the league this summer in that we actually made a £20m odd profit.

Regarding Ralph, if JWP didn't make a stupid tackle I rate us to pick up something there, then we would have played 4 of last seasons top 5 and emerged unbeaten. As is, JWP made an uncharacteristic stupid mistake and cost us. Not much the manager could do about that.

How much has ralph spent since he's been here. Not just this season. I take it you don't look at match stats. Chelsea battered us. 1st half was as bad as I can remember under hassenhuttl. Worse than Bournemouth at home when he played cedric at left back. The guy doesn't know what his best team is. Leeds and Burnley will be looking forward to playing us that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

We are not average, we are nowhere near that good. Is it two goals from open play in 7 games? Averaging 0.58 points per game. Apparently, according to Grant Coleman, the last 7 game winless run was in the ‘90’s. 1 of our two main strikers has scored 1 goal, the other has 0. I’m not worried about today, it’s Wolves and Newcastle away that cause me massive concern. As you say we need to start winning games soon. 

• Like 1

Adam Armstrong scuffing one into the keepers hands from twenty yards might count as a shot on target, but that doesn't make it a chance.

We don't know how to create in open play. Neither Romeu nor JWP have the mobility or instinct to play box to box. As a result our strikers are literally feeding on scraps except for when we manage to win a turnover.

The problem is the system. We simply do not have the players to be successful with this formation now that the rest of the league is familiar with it. They know nothing will come through the middle, the ball will be cycled slowly out wide, and unless Redmond or Djenepo go past someone (which they rarely do) our only options will be a cross toward one of the shortest strikers in the league, a shot from distance from wide players not exactly known for their long range finishing, or recycling the ball back to our CBs for another try at the above.

Edited by verlaine1979
  • Like 8

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl