Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

28 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What stars? If we actually had some stars, we might not be in such a mess.

The podcast interview with Martin Semmens the other day didn't really betray any sense of urgency over the ongoing death spiral.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, qwertyell said:

What stars? If we actually had some stars, we might not be in such a mess.

The podcast interview with Martin Semmens the other day didn't really betray any sense of urgency over the ongoing death spiral.

He’s hardly going to say anything else other than he has our full support. Things change quite literally overnight. Do you remember when Branfoot got a new contact but was given the push soon after. I am pretty sure Howe is waiting in the wings. A lot will depend on these next 5 games. Gao calls the shots and he certainly won’t let his heart rule his head. 

34 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I’d suggest this season we are miles better defensively than last season, he has definitely tightened up or play at the expense of stacking, and needs to find the balance pretty quick. 

I think we have let less goals in. I don’t get the sense that our defence issues are solved. Corners shaky, crosses again shaky, zonal marking all over the place. Hope you are proven to be right fingers crossed. 

by the way not saying Howe had good record defensively 

Edited by saint michael

Simply needs a win or two in the next few games no excuses. Wolves was a winnable game and we lost poorly. We've had tough fixtures and had we won early doors, some of the draws we've had are decent. We just need to start scoring goals from open play. I think our strike force has potential,  I just feel we're lacking in the attacking midfield department without SArmstrong. 

Go balls out... Livramento further up and Broja starting alongside AArmstrong.

• Like 1

I think we are entering a definitive period for Ralph. Next 5 games you would expect a minimum of 7 points and probably 10 to show improvement in what could be a disaster for the club if not addressed decisively.

What would be an excellent move for the club is to bring Howe in as assistant to Ralph, although I doubt this has any prospect of happening to be fair. Pity because I don’t think he’s being challenged/supported enough in terms of his pre and in-game tactics.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think we are entering a definitive period for Ralph. Next 5 games you would expect a minimum of 7 points and probably 10 to show improvement in what could be a disaster for the club if not addressed decisively.

What would be an excellent move for the club is to bring Howe in as assistant to Ralph, although I doubt this has any prospect of happening to be fair. Pity because I don’t think he’s being challenged/supported enough in terms of his pre and in-game tactics.

Not sure Howe would improve that either, would Ralph’s ego and stubbornness even go along with that?

3 wins in next 6 are a must or we are in trouble if it gets to 4 wins in 32 then it’s time to shake it up new coaches not goalkeepers or a new manager Lampard who has a good network in game had some good players in at Derby.

I thought some of Martin Semmens quotes from the latest TS Podcast sugarcoated how we all felt.

RH will not be leaving. I think they’ve invested too much into him and his “playbook” to scrap it altogether, although we should be picking up 7-10 points minimum in our next five games.

Also I found it amusing when MS said about average fan attendance being lower and he was confident it was due to COVID, yes, I’m sure partially that is true, but I’ve not been for several years because it’s not worth my shelling out £35 a match or £600 for a season ticket to watch us play not very well.

10 hours ago, saint michael said:

I think we have let less goals in. I don’t get the sense that our defence issues are solved. Corners shaky, crosses again shaky, zonal marking all over the place. Hope you are proven to be right fingers crossed. 

by the way not saying Howe had good record defensively 

I think with our defenders we will never look like a rock at the back, but Ralph has made us slightly harder to score against, although I think if he had said to the club he will carry on regardless this season the way we played last, I think they would have moved him on.

Not sure about Howe, but if our form continues to be as bad as it has, or even with only a slight improvement I think we are in trouble. Still looking forward to the next run of games, although think we will know what way the club will go forward in 3 games time.

8 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

That could become an excellent combination, a 50/50 mix of organisation/automatism with entertaining flair. Can't see either of their egos accepting it though

9 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Do you honestly think there is any chance in hell that Howe would turn down clubs like Celtic, just to become the assistant of a manager who has won something like 5 in 30 games 😂

FWIW, Howe has been at every home game this season. He’ll be our manager within the next month or 2 (unless Ralph somehow turns it around). 

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

That could become an excellent combination, a 50/50 mix of organisation/automatism with entertaining flair. Can't see either of their egos accepting it though

Not really about anyone's "ego" to be fair - Howe is a front line manager with multiple years in the Prem under his belt. We cannot afford two first team managers to cover one job. It would essentially be a constructive dismissal of Ralph.

It's just a dopey idea that is never going to happen.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dman said:

FWIW, Howe has been at every home game this season. He’ll be our manager within the next month or 2 (unless Ralph somehow turns it around). 

Has he?

7 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I thought some of Martin Semmens quotes from the latest TS Podcast sugarcoated how we all felt.

RH will not be leaving. I think they’ve invested too much into him and his “playbook” to scrap it altogether, although we should be picking up 7-10 points minimum in our next five games.

Also I found it amusing when MS said about average fan attendance being lower and he was confident it was due to COVID, yes, I’m sure partially that is true, but I’ve not been for several years because it’s not worth my shelling out £35 a match or £600 for a season ticket to watch us play not very well.

I do think this "playbook" stuff is a little bit of a red herring. It's just gegenpress, there are lots of managers who play that style and could hypothetically replace Ralph without binning the playbook. The issue is that we can't afford to sack him...

Edited by Christophenburg

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why don’t we get Nigel Adkins in as well. Having  Nigel, Eddie Howe & Ralph as joint managers would be a dream set up. Shame their egos are too big to contemplate it. Fucking big heads…

Bring back Danny Rohl as well, it was all amazing when he was here.

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

and don't forget Eric Black!!! 

Throw Sammy Lee into the mix as well and we will have the most strongest and most pashunate coaches on the touchline

1 hour ago, adriansfc said:

What CAN he do exactly? He seemed to build a reputation on short periods of form always followed by terrible runs. We have that with Ralph, but with a better CV behind him, a much more likeable character and not being a pompey player. 

Howe was terrible for Burnley and there's good reason he's been out of work a while. Spent a huge amount at Bournemouth and wasted most of it. Not a good judge of players, can't organise a defence, doesn't inspire much when it's not going well. He took a small club up and survived a few years. That's great, but also something that happens regularly. He's what Nigel Adkins would be if we'd stuck with him. A small club surviving playing the odd bit of nice football and eventually going down. 

This is my main reason for wanting to persist with Ralph right now. I do not trust the club to avoid stupid appointments. Hughes was a low point, but Howe can fck right off. 

Ok it’s Frank then ….. Has done well at both clubs he’s been at and it’s is tactically very intelligent which you intimate Howe is lacking in. Defensively Ralph has been very poor and my question is also would you want to bring in a manager who has a mediocre record in the prem and with two 9.0 defeats under his belt at his last club?

Certainly not sure I would be cheering if our directors brought in that manager …….. 

Agree what you say about Howe but with that in mind Lampard would be worth considering. 

4 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Ok it’s Frank then ….. Has done well at both clubs he’s been at and it’s is tactically very intelligent which you intimate Howe is lacking in. Defensively Ralph has been very poor and my question is also would you want to bring in a manager who has a mediocre record in the prem and with two 9.0 defeats under his belt at his last club?

Certainly not sure I would be cheering if our directors brought in that manager …….. 

Agree what you say about Howe but with that in mind Lampard would be worth considering. 

Lampard good tactically? 
is this a fucking joke? The guy did not know what to do with his flurry of stars, on he went, chelsea bring in a very good manager and win the champions league.

How you can say Lampard is very intelligent tactically is beyond me.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Lampard good tactically? 
is this a fucking joke? The guy did not know what to do with his flurry of stars, on he went, chelsea bring in a very good manager and win the champions league.

100%. Had the best squad in the Championship, scraped 6th by a point. Had one of the best squads in the Premier League after mass investment, got sacked with them in 9th. Has a false reputation as a manager because of his name, like Gerrard has in a current one team league given Celtic's self destruction.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

100%. Had the best squad in the Championship, scraped 6th by a point. Had one of the best squads in the Premier League after mass investment, got sacked with them in 9th. Has a false reputation as a manager because of his name, like Gerrard has in a current one team league given Celtic's self destruction.

I think a bit harsh on Lampard at Derby - he had some decent loanees (Mount and Wilson being the main ones, both still kids really), but I think pushing it to say best squad in the Championship.

He did a decent job there, it's a shame he didn't stay another season to actually learn a bit more. Went to CFC far too soon.

Not saying I want him here, mind. Needs another role in the Championship.

Maybe he could come in alongside Howe and Ralph as part of this mega management team this forum is cooking up? 

3 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Lampard good tactically? 

No need for the aggression mate .

Calm yourself down !

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Obviously you’re being facetious here, but to be fair Rohl did have a positive influence while with Ralph and there was a marked downturn in results after he left. It could be argued that he was capable of being a manager in his own right, so the concept of having a strong co-manager working in a consultative role is not exactly innovative. But then there are many football fans who are still steeped in the game of the 70’s and couldn’t recognise innovation if it slapped them in the face!

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Obviously you’re being facetious here, but to be fair Rohl did have a positive influence while with Ralph and there was a marked downturn in results after he left. It could be argued that he was capable of being a manager in his own right, so the concept of having a strong co-manager working in a consultative role is not exactly innovative. But then there are many football fans who are still steeped in the game of the 70’s and couldn’t recognise innovation if it slapped them in the face!

Marked downturn? Funny really because I thought 19-20 was a pretty decent season and of course we then went into 20-21 and went top of the league and beat Liverpool etc etc. All of that was sans Danny Rohl. All of it.

Or are you conveniently saying that the post Rohl downturn happened after that Liverpool match in Jan 21, 18 months after his departure?

As it stands Rohl has not been a manager in his own right anywhere. Let's see where his career takes him.

Its pretty clear that Rohl was liked around the place a did a decent job, but the results on the pitch are not really related to his presence. Our very best run was more than a year after he left.

Its just a myth clung to on here because there's always been an obsession with assistant managers on this forum and always a massive over estimation on how important they are.

So spare us the "look how innovative my thinking is" and look at the actual facts.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

CB Fry has covered the Danny Rohl impact very well below, much like how Eric Black was to blame for everything that went wrong under Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes.

As for being stuck in the 70s and not recognising innovation it's almost like the idea of an assistant manager/number 2/co manager call them what you will has been about as long as false nines, automations and HGs. Maybe you should ask a certain Lawrie McMenemy what his original role was when he joined Saints in 1973. Or perhaps we should ask Ted Bates, Lew Chatterley and Tony Barton what they playing at stealing a living from the club in the 70 and 80s. An assistant manger/number 2 is football innovation anyone who doesn't recognise that is stuck in the 70s :lol: 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, adriansfc said:

What CAN he do exactly? He seemed to build a reputation on short periods of form always followed by terrible runs. We have that with Ralph, but with a better CV behind him, a much more likeable character and not being a pompey player. 

Howe was terrible for Burnley and there's good reason he's been out of work a while. Spent a huge amount at Bournemouth and wasted most of it. Not a good judge of players, can't organise a defence, doesn't inspire much when it's not going well. He took a small club up and survived a few years. That's great, but also something that happens regularly. He's what Nigel Adkins would be if we'd stuck with him. A small club surviving playing the odd bit of nice football and eventually going down. 

This is my main reason for wanting to persist with Ralph right now. I do not trust the club to avoid stupid appointments. Hughes was a low point, but Howe can fck right off. 

I'm calling you out as your random reference to Nigel Adkins is totally unfair.

During his brief but wonderful tenure as our manager, Nigel provided fans with some of the best memories we have ever had in our history. I for one will never forget him or his infectious optimism. 

“This is the best of me. For the rest, I ate and drank, and slept, loved and hated, like another; my life was as the vapour and is not; but this I saw and knew; this, if anything of mine, is worth your memory.”

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 7

RH has been here three years now, achieving 16th 11th and 15th place finishes respectively, along with long winless runs & two 9-0'.

How do you rate his record overall? The best we can expect from our players and lack of investment? Or should he be doing better, as in a poor worker blames his tools

15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

RH has been here three years now, achieving 16th 11th and 15th place finishes respectively, along with long winless runs & two 9-0'.

How do you rate his record overall? The best we can expect from our players and lack of investment? Or should he be doing better, as in a poor worker blames his tools

He is doing well based on the hand he was dealt.

I think we would have been relegated by now with someone like Eddie Howe at the helm

• Like 3

On 13/10/2021 at 11:31, CB Fry said:

Not really about anyone's "ego" to be fair - Howe is a front line manager with multiple years in the Prem under his belt. We cannot afford two first team managers to cover one job. It would essentially be a constructive dismissal of Ralph.

It's just a dopey idea that is never going to happen.

When did Howe have multiple years in the premier league? unless I missed something his main time was with Bournemouth

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl