Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

1 hour ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I like Ralph and I really, really want him to come good. It feels like he's grown somewhat this season, making some smart tactical changes and actually employing subs as a resource. But how long can it go on with exactly nothing in the way of results to back any of it up? It's the same shit game after game after game. There has been no poorer team in the league than us in 2021. Hand on heart, I can't say that given the chance to swap Ralph for Ranieri I wouldn't go for it.

Ralph needs to prove himself over the next few games for me, but there's no way I would want Ranieri

23 hours ago, saint michael said:

Ways of playing does not only mean formations. Every bit of what he does is the same even though formations change.  Pressing, passing sideways and backwards, zonal marking….formations change possession opportunities. Changing formation does not mean Armstrong will score more. Changing formation does not effect our ability to defend corners……

to make it clear it has to be about his ability to upskill and coach individuals and create different outcomes  

You are quite right that it is more about formations. That said, I do believe he has significantly improved a number of players and that we have, this season, been playing the ball forward more quickly whilst not passing backwards nearly as much as we did. 

I am also not a fan of zonal marking and would certainly change how we defend corners. But then again I'm a bit of a dinosaur who would always put a player on the back post (as an ex-FB was usually my position when defending corners) and a small, fast, attacker up on the halfway line in anticipation of a hoof-out quick breakaway (used to love watching Danny and then Rod Wallace do those).

• Like 4

I'm really surprised Watford's managerial decision making is being put up as something we should aspire to.  I've a friend who's a season ticket holder there and he has given up expecting to understand any of the rationale for the comings and goings.  I think they have had 8 managers since Ralph joined us, been relegated, finished 11th in Prem, as well as 17th.  

15 hours ago, saint lard said:

Watford sack another gaffer. 
it must cost them a fortune in compensation each time and it’s so frequent. 
meanwhile we Labour on with bloody Ralph still. 

They should have asked if we wanted a straight swop. You'd be surprised, the board might have said yes, chance to shift Ralph without paying compensation. Reset, reboot, roll the dice again, whatever you call it.

22 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Watford sacked their manager because "....recent results strongly indicate a negative trend...". What do ours indicate ?

I wouldn't pay attention to anything Watford do. They are a bat shit crazy club. Don't compare to them, they are ridiculous.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say Ralph would have been long gone if Cortese was still at the club.

Do be fair if he was still here I don't think Ralph would have been high profile enough for him to have been brought in in the first place

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Do be fair if he was still here I don't think Ralph would have been high profile enough for him to have been brought in in the first place

Cortese was certainly a divisive character but can't help thinking we would be in a better position if he was still here! 

11 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say Ralph would have been long gone if Cortese was still at the club.

Cortese isn't at the club any more because Kat turned off the money tap. If she had allowed Cortese to keep spending and we had hired Ralph then Ralph would probably be doing a lot better with a better squad

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Cortese isn't at the club any more because Kat turned off the money tap. If she had allowed Cortese to keep spending and we had hired Ralph then Ralph would probably be doing a lot better with a better squad

If Cortese had been allowed to keep going how he was we'd be bankrupt. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

More to the point, why the hell would we want Xisco as our manager?

Cos they have three more points than us and have actually won a couple of games 🤣🤣🤣 and he has an cool name 

• Like 1

On reflection I have concluded there are only three things that will end Raplh's reign.

1. He has already called time for the end of the season (based on nothing other than a hunch) or some other pre agreed juncture.

2. He will find a run of form and be offered something by someone at the next level. 

3. We will be taken over and the new owners will have their own ideas (he could of corse fit with their plans)

I was very annoyed with him after Wolves, Saturday, not quite as much, but Theo shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup and there were a couple of other dubious selections in my opinion, but we did well.

So in true flip flopping fashion, I hope he stabilises things and keeps us in the prem until the ownership thing is satisfactorily sorted. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

On reflection I have concluded there are only three things that will end Raplh's reign.

1. He has already called time for the end of the season (based on nothing other than a hunch) or some other pre agreed juncture.

2. He will find a run of form and be offered something by someone at the next level. 

3. We will be taken over and the new owners will have their own ideas (he could of corse fit with their plans)

I was very annoyed with him after Wolves, Saturday, not quite as much, but Theo shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup and there were a couple of other dubious selections in my opinion, but we did well.

So in true flip flopping fashion, I hope he stabilises things and keeps us in the prem until the ownership thing is satisfactorily sorted. 

1 and 2 options are N/A…either has no chance in hell .. number 3 is wot I’m preying for !!.. without the end sentence  🙏🏻

Edited by Chris cooper

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

If Cortese had been allowed to keep going how he was we'd be bankrupt. 

Yep. If you haven’t read Benali’s autobiography yet, I can recommend it - there are some very interesting insights in there about Cortese and his attitude. He’s presented as an expert at spending other people’s money, with a huge, unearned sense of entitlement to go with it. I know they fell out and it’s only one side of the story, but it’s a first-hand account and he comes across extremely badly. 

10 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Yep. If you haven’t read Benali’s autobiography yet, I can recommend it - there are some very interesting insights in there about Cortese and his attitude. He’s presented as an expert at spending other people’s money, with a huge, unearned sense of entitlement to go with it. I know they fell out and it’s only one side of the story, but it’s a first-hand account and he comes across extremely badly. 

I haven't read it but I know quite a bit about what went on under his regime and posted a lot of it on here at the time. Of course i was shouted down and called a troll but we all know people dont like seeing what they dont want to read on here.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Cheers, I've not read that and I keep meaning to take a look. His overspending was outrageous though, I was privy to some facts and figures from back then. The overspend on staplewood was outrageous, enough to buy a PL player even now. We'd have never survived of he'd stayed. That all said, his balls and spending got us back up the leagues and gave me some of my best years as a fan. 

• Like 2

Ralph has cancelled the week off for non international players. Now they’re only having a few days off. Although it’s not intended as a punishment he just wants to make sure the players are fully fit. WTF, they either need to come in to be “fully fit” or they don’t. What’s he saying , had they won Sat  they didn’t need to be “fully fit” for the Leeds game, or are they not as fit as they should be ? Blokes all over the place. His heads gone…..

“Disturbed by unending poor results, Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has cancelled players week off insisting that the players did not keep their own end of the bargain

As a result, according to The Athletic, Hasenhuttl expects his players not selected by their national teams to report for training as usual this week and burn the calories

The report noted that the Saints manager’s decision to conduct training this week is not intended to be a punishment for the two consecutive losses the Saints have suffered in the past eight days.

Rather, it stems from the Austrian’s desire to ensure his players are fully fit ahead of their home game against Leeds after the international break, on October 16.”

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Ralph has cancelled the week off for non international players. Now they’re only having a few days off. Although it’s not intended as a punishment he just wants to make sure the players are fully fit. WTF, they either need to come in to be “fully fit” or they don’t. What’s he saying , had they won Sat  they didn’t need to be “fully fit” for the Leeds game, or are they not as fit as they should be ? Blokes all over the place. His heads gone…..

“Disturbed by unending poor results, Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has cancelled players week off insisting that the players did not keep their own end of the bargain

As a result, according to The Athletic, Hasenhuttl expects his players not selected by their national teams to report for training as usual this week and burn the calories

The report noted that the Saints manager’s decision to conduct training this week is not intended to be a punishment for the two consecutive losses the Saints have suffered in the past eight days.

Rather, it stems from the Austrian’s desire to ensure his players are fully fit ahead of their home game against Leeds after the international break, on October 16.”

Misleading article. Ralph and the players agreed they could have some time off if they remained unbeaten in the City, Chelsea and Wolves matches as a reward. as they didn't they dont get the time off, he hasn't cancelled anything.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Misleading article. Ralph and the players agreed they could have some time off if they remained unbeaten in the City, Chelsea and Wolves matches as a reward. as they didn't they dont get the time off, he hasn't cancelled anything.

My point is why  should results determine training schedules? They either need a week off to be fully prepared for the Leeds game or they don’t. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

My point is why  should results determine training schedules? They either need a week off to be fully prepared for the Leeds game or they don’t. 

Perhaps they need a week on to be prepared for the Leeds game

fvb1njsgcmr71.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=15b8cd7a50f01ce5f8e935f3d5a9bec952f2a587

For those wondering why Watford sacked their manager and we didn't regardless of them being above us in the table. This table shows who has had the easiest to hardest fixtures so far, easy at the top and hard at the bottom. As has been said elsewhere, the season starts now.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

fvb1njsgcmr71.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=15b8cd7a50f01ce5f8e935f3d5a9bec952f2a587

For those wondering why Watford sacked their manager and we didn't regardless of them being above us in the table. This table shows who has had the easiest to hardest fixtures so far, easy at the top and hard at the bottom. As has been said elsewhere, the season starts now.

"Yeah...but... 2021 calendar year...." ;)

58 minutes ago, TWar said:

The season starts now because sporting life says we started with some hard fixtures? phew. we must actually be good then.

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

The season starts now because sporting life says we started with some hard fixtures? phew. we must actually be good then.

Anyone with half a brain could tell you we have had some hard fixtures, our first 7 games involved four members of last seasons top 6, including the champions of England and the Champions of Europe. Sportinglife just contextualises it alongside other teams.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Anyone with half a brain could tell you we have had some hard fixtures, our first 7 games involved four members of last seasons top 6, including the champions of England and the Champions of Europe. Sportinglife just contextualises it alongside other teams.

I see. Thanks for that I didn't need you to tell me who finished in the top 6 last season and who won Champs league. Do you not think there's more to it than saying "don't worry, we had some hard fixtures, the season starts now lads"? We took 1 point from 6 in two very winnable games so far, the one point being rescued in the last kick of the game. Do you not find that worrying? Do you think games against the likes of Burnely, Brighton, Leeds will be easy? Do you think we have the creativity to break those teams down? Do you think Ralph will change the way we play in order to give us a better chance of beating "park the bus teams" do you think we have enough fire power? Not asking you to answer by the way - these are just things I think on. We'll soon see. I worry the answer is no to a lot of these questions.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I see. Thanks for that I didn't need you to tell me who finished in the top 6 last season and who won Champs league. Do you not think there's more to it than saying "don't worry, we had some hard fixtures, the season starts now lads"? We took 1 point from 6 in two very winnable games so far, the one point being rescued in the last kick of the game. Do you not find that worrying? Do you think games against the likes of Burnely, Brighton, Leeds will be easy? Do you think we have the creativity to break those teams down? Do you think Ralph will change the way we play in order to give us a better chance of beating "park the bus teams" do you think we have enough fire power? Not asking you to answer by the way - these are just things I think on. We'll soon see. I worry the answer is no to a lot of these questions.

Yeah that's basically what I was saying. Pointing out we have had tricky fixtures isn't what the plot is telling us, we know that, it is telling us how tricky they are and how they compare to other teams, for instance Watford who some have compared us to on other threads.

Do I think Burnley Brighton and Leeds will be easy? No. Do I think they will be a hell of a lot easier than the average fixture we've played so far? Yes.

Of the teams you listed only one of them will "park the bus" most likely. Leeds famously are a team that goes all out attack against basically everyone (although not strictly true but I very much doubt they will "park the bus" against us). I think Ralph has changed things a hell of a lot this season, playing 352, 4222, 442, and 343 in the United game alone. The "he doesn't change tactics" thing is a bit of a poor accusation, especially as he also changes personnel quite a lot.

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Palace have started better than SFC then, and that’s after the huge turnover of players they’ve had and Eze out long term. This will stand up to scrutiny with minimum 1.25 points a game over the next several. They will need to be a million times better than the Wolves game as they were turd but at home, that was shocking from SFC, sort of performance that gets managers the sack. If Ralph doesn’t achieve that then time for new blood.

Edited by saint1977

20 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Explain

Since you ask so nicely, there was an Athletic article about how all the Chinese owners bought clubs to get in the government's good books, only for the government to change its mind. They're now not allowed to invest in their clubs but they're also not allowed to sell at a loss, putting people like Gao in an impossible position.

One way or another they're definitely being monitored. That's how it works if you're a wealthy businessman in China.

7 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don’t disagree with your point but the article is making out they had a week off cancelled when they didn’t 

4 hours ago, TWar said:

Isn't this called clutching at straws? 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl