Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

There is a real pattern now that we work hard pressing the first half and unable to keep going in the 2nd. Obviously opposing managers know this and let us burn ourselves out after sucking up the first half pressure and then do us in the 2nd half. Perhaps we need to pace ourselves a bit more

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

So many bed wetters on this thread after losing fact check our first game of the season. 
Judge the manager at least after half a season before making these sorts of comments. We ve just made a couple signing and will probably so how about you allow the squad to gell and let players settle in before being all doom and gloom.

fucking bunch of muppets

People have been judging him since January.  Is that not long enough?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why can’t it be addressed till next year. Is there an embargo on signing keepers or a special keeper transfer window that’s now closed? 

Just being realistic. Two expensive contracts to run down.

Point is FF can do the job for the season. A decent CB and CM cover is a priority.

40 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Just being realistic. Two expensive contracts to run down.

Point is FF can do the job for the season. A decent CB and CM cover is a priority.

The problem with that opinion is that Ralph considers McCarthy the better of the two 'keepers.

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

So many bed wetters on this thread after losing fact check our first game of the season. 
Judge the manager at least after half a season before making these sorts of comments. We ve just made a couple signing and will probably so how about you allow the squad to gell and let players settle in before being all doom and gloom.

fucking bunch of muppets

How about 5 wins in 24 games this calendar year, including the worse defence (goals conceded) and a record equalling (his own record) defeat. Making the Same old mistakes and the manager showing his same tactical naivety. 

What makes you think he’ll turn it around? 

But let’s wait another 20 games which will leave us all but dead and buried before we decide to make a change. 

We get Ralph has his cult, of which numbers of dwindling, but you’re simply delaying the inevitable. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

fucking bunch of muppets

Why the petty insults because of a difference of opinion.

Just makes you look like some dickless cyber warrior.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

People have been judging him since January.  Is that not long enough?

Its a new season.
We finished 15th last season, stayed up job done.

What did you expect at a ground we havent won in x odd years?

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

How about 5 wins in 24 games this calendar year, including the worse defence (goals conceded) and a record equalling (his own record) defeat. Making the Same old mistakes and the manager showing his same tactical naivety. 

What makes you think he’ll turn it around? 

But let’s wait another 20 games which will leave us all but dead and buried before we decide to make a change. 

We get Ralph has his cult, of which numbers of dwindling, but you’re simply delaying the inevitable. 

You don t make a change one game into the new season, you fucking dickhead.

fickle fickle fickle

Edited by stevy777_x
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Its a new season.

fickle fickle fickle

You must be terrifying in real life.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Its a new season.

fickle fickle fickle

image.png.bdb6153d4e3e7ed7e2e2583c46e26036.png

No need to get so angry & personal fella...

• Haha 1

I do find it interesting that we were so good in 2020, and after lockdown 1 were playing incredibly well. And then we seemed to drop off a cliff.

Is this down to RH being 'found out' tactically? - If so, surely it shouldn't have taken so long for teams to see how we play?

Was our good form just down to luck, or players peforming above their level/having the season of their lives?

And how did we go from that to now shitting ourselves in every second half of matches?

Would love to see an informed and impartial assessment on this - have any of the tactical footie blogs done analysis of how we played before, to now?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Suhari said:

I do find it interesting that we were so good in 2020, and after lockdown 1 were playing incredibly well. And then we seemed to drop off a cliff.

Is this down to RH being 'found out' tactically? - If so, surely it shouldn't have taken so long for teams to see how we play?

Was our good form just down to luck, or players peforming above their level/having the season of their lives?

And how did we go from that to now shitting ourselves in every second half of matches?

Would love to see an informed and impartial assessment on this - have any of the tactical footie blogs done analysis of how we played before, to now?

I think there was a combination of things really.

Firstly, we needed a break. If you remember back to March 2020 we'd just been done 0-1 at home to Newcastle and we looked clueless and tired. The enforced break came at a great time for us as it enabled us to reset and recharge physically and mentally. I think as a club we managed the lock down period better than most, the physical plans we put in place seemed to enable everyone to keep on a really good level.

So that enabled us, in my opinion, to come back with an edge over most other sides. We were fitter, more aware, stronger. I don't think we reset our game or changed how we played, it was simply down to fitness and we caught a lot of teams off guard by how sharp we were.

We didn't really have a break once that season ended, so we carried straight into the next one - which actually enabled us to carry on the momentum, once Ralph stopped pissing around with the high line. But we got to about December and we were done really. The 1-1 away at Arsenal was where I started to see some chinks in the fitness in that we couldn't see out games, we were struggling in the final stages etc. The season pretty much ended there if we're honest, as from that point on I think we only managed to amass another 16 points.

We've had a decent break this pre-season, we've refreshed the squad so in theory we should start seeing an upward curve in momentum again. A lot will depend on 1) who we sign at CB and 2) if Armstrong can really fill the Ings void, as we've lost starting quality in both those positions. If both of those are positive then we should be ok, as in theory with a wider squad and more options we may be able to manage the squad a bit better. (thats if Ralph actually uses the bench!!!)

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

I hear people say he's had a terrible run since Jan 21 over 27 games or whatever it is and is enough to judge him.

Those same people are conveniently forgetting the performance before that over the calendar year 2020 cos apparently judging him across 2 seasons is nonsense.

the hangover GIF

It’s form though isn’t it ?

this bad run has carried on since January, now it’s carrying on into the new season... if he was to manage to get a good run of form going it might get people off his back but it’s looking unlikely right now,, and I think his colours are starting to show now that he’s quite a stubborn tactically inept manager that can’t/won’t make the changes neccasary..

right now I’d prefer someone that just makes us hard to beat, we are totally soft under Ralph 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I think there was a combination of things really.

Firstly, we needed a break. If you remember back to March 2020 we'd just been done 0-1 at home to Newcastle and we looked clueless and tired. The enforced break came at a great time for us as it enabled us to reset and recharge physically and mentally. I think as a club we managed the lock down period better than most, the physical plans we put in place seemed to enable everyone to keep on a really good level.

So that enabled us, in my opinion, to come back with an edge over most other sides. We were fitter, more aware, stronger. I don't think we reset our game or changed how we played, it was simply down to fitness and we caught a lot of teams off guard by how sharp we were.

We didn't really have a break once that season ended, so we carried straight into the next one - which actually enabled us to carry on the momentum, once Ralph stopped pissing around with the high line. But we got to about December and we were done really. The 1-1 away at Arsenal was where I started to see some chinks in the fitness in that we couldn't see out games, we were struggling in the final stages etc. The season pretty much ended there if we're honest, as from that point on I think we only managed to amass another 16 points.

We've had a decent break this pre-season, we've refreshed the squad so in theory we should start seeing an upward curve in momentum again. A lot will depend on 1) who we sign at CB and 2) if Armstrong can really fill the Ings void, as we've lost starting quality in both those positions. If both of those are positive then we should be ok, as in theory with a wider squad and more options we may be able to manage the squad a bit better. (thats if Ralph actually uses the bench!!!)

Some good points.

So do you concude that our second-half collapses, which became a familiar sight last season, were more due to fitness issues/lack of squad depth, and individual mistakes, than managerial decisions/tactical errors?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

I hear people say he's had a terrible run since Jan 21 over 27 games or whatever it is and is enough to judge him.

Those same people are conveniently forgetting the performance before that over the calendar year 2020 cos apparently judging him across 2 seasons is nonsense.

the hangover GIF

How he was once is irrelevant to his form over those 27 games, and his poor game management. Nothing lasts forever.

15 points I think it is over the last 21 games, which equates to 27 points over a 38 game season. On any assessment that's relegation - do you honestly think persisting with him in the hope that he can resurrect us is worth the risk? 

6 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Some good points.

So do you concude that our second-half collapses, which became a familiar sight last season, were more due to fitness issues/lack of squad depth, and individual mistakes, than managerial decisions/tactical errors?

That is what I think. I remember seeing us against Leeds away, we visibility wilted in that second half and we just couldn't get near them. We actually competed quite well in the first half and looked a good match for them. Ralph did make changes, albeit late, but he didn't have a great deal of options.

Whilst we have less 'proven PL quality' now, we've got a little more depth. But Ralph for some reason didn't use it right at the weekend. Let's see what happens in the coming weeks. There are still a lot of problems with this team as a whole and I don't believe we are capable of a Top 10 finish over a complete season with the players we have - not yet anyway. In a few years if the likes of Armstrong and Tino develop like we hope.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He does strike me as a little immature.

School holidays I guess.

The amount of pure shit that gets written on here is baffling.

90% of you on here have no football knowledge whatsoever and just react on a game by game basis.

I m glad those at the helm are not trigger happy like the lot of you.

3 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

90% of you on here have no football knowledge whatsoever and just react on a game by game basis.

We're not calling people fucking dickheads or muppets.

There's a lot of reasoned debate on here, especially in this thread. if you can't see that then I think you should question your own knowledge.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

I wonder if Ralph is guilty of setting a training regime that is too top heavy with the physical fitness side of things. There have been a few whispers that this is the case. If so maybe explains why we run out of steam as we get into the second half of matches. The real heavy physical work should be done pre-season and then it's a question of keeping players fine-tuned as the season progresses. Could be that Ralph is flogging them to death and they don't have enough left in the tank on match days. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

No, you probably don’t, you’re correct. He should have gone back end of last season given the run we went on. As many argued for and you (along with a handful of others) argued against. 

Nothing I’ve seen pre-season has given me any confidence that things have changed. So when he is sacked in 5 - 10 games time, you’ll admit you were wrong, yes? 

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

No, you probably don’t, you’re correct. He should have gone back end of last season given the run we went on. As many argued for and you (along with a handful of others) argued against. 

Nothing I’ve seen pre-season has given me any confidence that things have changed. So when he is sacked in 5 - 10 games time, you’ll admit you were wrong, yes? 

Does it matter who is right or wrong in the grand scheme of things - people have different view, so what!

What matters to me is one way or another, whether that be Ralph staying and fixing this, or he is sacked, that it is fixed and we start playing better and getting results. Although I'd happily take a few shit performances if we win them right now. 

I agree the rot must stop, it is easy for this to carry on from last season.

I recall season before last, Sheffield utd had a dogshit 2nd half of the season, it carried on, and we all know how that panned out. This is my concern, and I'd be giving Ralph maybe 8 games, if not much different, I would pull the trigger.  Not time just yet for me, but not long either.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Come on then Stevy, hit us with your superior football knowledge. 

I’ll give you some to start, 5 wins in 24 (soon to be 25) games. Bottom Of the table this calendar year. 

2 9-0 defeats. 3 years and still seemingly doesn’t know his best 11. Can’t set up a team to defend. 

Plays and refuses to budge from this 4222 which requires 2 10’s and we have a squad full of wingers who aren’t suited to that role (Armstrong aside). 

No creativity to score, no ability and desire to defend. We’re just a nothing team who can press high for 45 minutes. That’s about it. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, Dman said:

I’ll give you some to start, 5 wins in 24 (soon to be 25) games. Bottom Of the table this calendar year. 

2 9-0 defeats. 3 years and still seemingly doesn’t know his best 11. Can’t set up a team to defend. 

Plays and refuses to budge from this 4222 which requires 2 10’s and we have a squad full of wingers who aren’t suited to that role (Armstrong aside). 

No creativity to score, no ability and desire to defend. We’re just a nothing team who can press high for 45 minutes. That’s about it. 

add in to the mix the mentally fragile state of the squad who crumble at the first sign of adversity or conceding a goal. Once we've shipped one, usually off the back of an individual mistake, you know it's only going to go one way......

46 minutes ago, Dman said:

BUT BUT BUT for 20 minutes in a 5-1 defeat we were the best team Man City have faced.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dman said:

Summed up perfectly to be honest. I expect the majority of the PL want us relegated and who could blame them, we’re a pointless outfit at the moment. 

23 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Summed up perfectly to be honest. I expect the majority of the PL want us relegated and who could blame them, we’re a pointless outfit at the moment. 

I dunno, I think most would be keen to keep us around. Easy 3 points.

24 minutes ago, LGTL said:

I doubt most of the PL give a monkeys who gets relegated. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Funnily enough "the majority of the PL" is not you.

The "majority of the PL" could not give a flying f**k who gets relegated in any season, ever. Why would they?

On 16/08/2021 at 21:45, Teddeer said:

I wonder if Ralph is guilty of setting a training regime that is too top heavy with the physical fitness side of things. There have been a few whispers that this is the case. If so maybe explains why we run out of steam as we get into the second half of matches. The real heavy physical work should be done pre-season and then it's a question of keeping players fine-tuned as the season progresses. Could be that Ralph is flogging them to death and they don't have enough left in the tank on match days. 

Patently obvious this is the case. The early press is unsustainable over 90 mins. Occasionally the opposition are beaten in the 1st half, or allow the game to be played at a pace Saints can survive at.

I still think Ralph can turn this around, when it clicks Saints are a formidable outfit. However he needs to move away from just putting 11 athletic machines on the pitch.

I am expecting Saints to be in the bottom 3 in September. Wolves, and Burnley are the turning point for me. We'd need to see something by then.

15 hours ago, The Cat said:

It can be a bit relentless though. Makes the same point over and over, although by no means is that exclusive to one poster.

The trouble is, football is a little like politics in the fact that if people are passionate, you’ll have some who are OTT argumentative for and OTT argumentative against (with some who sit in the middle). 

The reality is, when things aren’t going well, you’re going to have the natural pessimists become more vocal. 

Given this is a football forum and people discuss football (some positive, some negative) I wouldn’t call for a ban on anyone (other than chapel_end, who offers nothing to the forum other than sniping comments). MLG starts an argument in nearly every thread, yet others get banned for expressing their opinion. 

A discussion of the lounge area of the forum, but as others have said; It’d be interesting for mods, in particular @Lighthouse to confirm why people have been banned…. 

• Like 1

Saying it in the other thread but with the passive aggressive way Ralph is addressing the media ("hopefully these signings will be good enough to sell to a big team") he might be starting to lose his rag.

We need a GK, we need a CB, we need a back up LB, we need a top chance creator at AM. All those things are essential, we just made £25m net spend, cleared our wagebill massively with 6 high earners out and potentially 3 in, and we bought in a pisspoor £5m CB for Ralph. Wouldn't be surprised if he walked, he has been promised we reinvest what we make and where has all the money gone? If we actually do what Leach said (and he hasn't been wrong much at all) and make this our last signing then the board has failed Ralph, they have been taking money out of his pocket and putting it god knows where and he has every right to walk, rather than try to defend this squad which we just funnelled a further £20m out of for no reason whatsoever.

Edited by TWar

Not sure how you got all of that out of this interview

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/hasenhuttl-southampton-transfers-man-united-5813941

Also he says the centre-back position remains the last that Hasenhuttl is keen to strengthen before deadline day, although he is looking for a young defender to play left-back for Saints B.

Edited by Convict Colony

6 hours ago, TWar said:

Saying it in the other thread but with the passive aggressive way Ralph is addressing the media ("hopefully these signings will be good enough to sell to a big team") he might be starting to lose his rag.

We need a GK, we need a CB, we need a back up LB, we need a top chance creator at AM. All those things are essential, we just made £25m net spend, cleared our wagebill massively with 6 high earners out and potentially 3 in, and we bought in a pisspoor £5m CB for Ralph. Wouldn't be surprised if he walked, he has been promised we reinvest what we make and where has all the money gone? If we actually do what Leach said (and he hasn't been wrong much at all) and make this our last signing then the board has failed Ralph, they have been taking money out of his pocket and putting it god knows where and he has every right to walk, rather than try to defend this squad which we just funnelled a further £20m out of for no reason whatsoever.

Have to disagree with you here. Granted we are in a dire situation and reasons for it have been discussed at length and not really relevant in the here and now - we are where we are.

Key now is to make the most of our remaining resources and stay up and gradually improve. This is mainly down to the manager. Yes we have a poor (not shite) squad but IMO no worse than most of the bottom 3rd of the PL teams. Fact is we do not play to our strengths - limited that they are. Why oh why persist with the crazy tactics that everyone bar Ralph has worked out? Play 5,4,1 and grind out an "ugly" draw if needs be - play dirty - play hoof ball - whatever - make a f'ing change before and during a game. Doing the same thing time after time and expecting a different result is pure madness.

How long are people going to excuse Ralph's performance? Overall record is one of the worst ever. Saw a recent article that suggested Mark Hughes should replace him, which just sums up how poor he is. He is here nearly 3 years now, so very much his team and tactics - no excuses. As for no club backing, no one asked him to sign a new contract if he did not accept our circumstances. He has bought players for the future (does he know what future?) and then claims in the last team conference that he will get rid of one keeper next year - well if you don't think they're up to it then get shot now and get a new keeper in. Walcott, Long, Moi - really??

Guy is a fraud and rather than the Alpine Klopp, he's more like Emperor Klopp's new clothes. With him we are going down sooner rather than later. Where is one emerging/bargain signing he has brought from his previous so called knowledge?

• Like 5

What I don't get with Ralph Hasenhüttl is that he appears to understand the game very well indeed and always gives sound technical reasons for his explanations to Journos at his weekly pressers and might expect that with that level of understanding and insight, we should be able to quickly correct errors in our play and eradicate them.

He never fails to comes across as being very intelligent, very knowledgeable of the game and even a step above some of the more widely lauded top managers technically.

Yet we continue to struggle, same old patterns of play, same old frailties and same old outcomes. So why do things not improve under the guidance of our seemingly wise manager?

I am beginning to form the view that he is brilliant at talking-the-talk but clueless at walking-the-walk. In other circumstances we would dismiss such people as nothing more than Grade A bullshissers. Ralph has certainly passed the test for being in the Premier League of such conmen.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl