Saints vs Spurs - Match Thread

Lighthouse

The defence did well after lockdown. But the frailties we always suspected have now been shown up in full. Lack of pace, strength and noone covering and helping in midfield. Needs a rethink.. and some other options at the back.

Have to hope Salisu is an improvement.. 

Spurs have put the ball in the net 5 times today. Nobody has been near them on any occasion. More to come I fear... 

Play a high line when you have quick central defenders. We’ve got no pace and it’s so obvious. What are you thinking Ralph? Now smallbone and tella as our go to replacements, we’ve got a dreadful bench. . What is going on between the ears of our director of football who needs sacking!!! Shambles from top to bottom.

This defensive highline is insane, what on earth are we doing?

Need to replace Stephens, we have since 2017 really. Bednerak is decent, but still not amazing. McCarthy is bog-standard.

If we continue to play this high line, then we will finish bottom of the league on single figures. 

If we want to play a high line, we need a new GK, a new CB and Salisu in from next week. That won't happen though, so to preserve our position we need to scrap this insanity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

The defence did well after lockdown. But the frailties we always suspected have now been shown up in full. Lack of pace, strength and noone covering and helping in midfield. Needs a rethink.. and some other options at the back.

Have to hope Salisu is an improvement.. 

Spurs have put the ball in the net 5 times today. Nobody has been near them on any occasion. More to come I fear... 

The coaches and ralph have adjusted our line during pre-season, we play a higher line now. Why they decided that is beyond me and why they continue to play with it and put players like Stephens and Bednerak to the sharks, is beyond me.

Really, really staggering. 

Loss to Palace, we were awful; midweek, at near full-strength, we were worst; This is embarrassing, could end with 6 or 7.  The sponsor issue, no contact from the club re. the £60 tshirt I've paid for but not received; three CMs sold, none brought in. This club sometimes. Just pisses me off. You can understand why so many kids will just wanna supports these 'big teams' amateur bullshit. 

• Like 1

Just now, StrangelyBrown said:

What is the high line all about?? We have a keeper who is shit with his feet and indecisive so can't play as a sweeper and 2 slow centre backs. Absolutely shocking.

Bad tactics has lost this game for us

All Ralph has done is hang Stephens and Bedernak out to dry, anyone with a braincell can see that McCarthy, Stephens and Bednerak cannot play such a highline. They are too slow.

Maybe this change is an adjustment for Salisu, but make the fucking adjustment when he's in the side, not before. Why does Ralph score own goals like this tactically?

They need to rip up whatever the plan is and start again after this shitshow.

Need new additions in ASAP. Hopefully this signals the end of Romeu, Stephens et all. Not good enough, this has shown up every limitation of Stephens game.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

All Ralph has done is hang Stephens and Bedernak out to dry, anyone with a braincell can see that McCarthy, Stephens and Bednerak cannot play such a highline. They are too slow.

Maybe this change is an adjustment for Salisu, but make the fucking adjustment when he's in the side, not before. Why does Ralph score own goals like this tactically?

This completly.... its all at ralphs door

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Bobby Moore & Jack Charlton in their Prime would struggle playing a high line when the midfield don’t make a tackle. Pathetic, from the captain today. Like a little boy lost. 

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Need new additions in ASAP. 

The bizzare thing is it was blindingly obvious that the high line would fail once they started getting tired. Played well going forward but it was just a matter of time before the goals started flowing. Spurs ironically have been poor but just exploited hoisted balls over the top.

major fuck up by RH to the point of whether I would question whether he has done it deliberately?

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Need new additions in ASAP. Hopefully this signals the end of Romeu, Stephens et all. Not good enough, this has shown up every limitation of Stephens game.

Yet Romeu's been no worse than Ward-Prowse, has he?   And who is it that thinks Smallbone is a Prem mid-fielder?   And Tella an attacking mid-fielder.

Just now, wild-saint said:

The bizzare thing is it was blindingly obvious that the high line would fail once they started getting tired. Played well going forward but it was just a matter of time before the goals started flowing. Spurs ironically have been poor but just exploited hoisted balls over the top.

major fuck up by RH to the point of whether I would question whether he has done it deliberately?

Playing as high as we have this season has been an own goal and I'm not sure why. Palace could have had a couple against us, they caught us. Brentford caught us.

Tottenham, with their superior quality, have rinsed us. Really be interesting to hear Ralph's views, but it feels as if something has gone on behind the scenes. Maybe Stephens and Bednerak have the pace of Traore in training or something? I have no explanation for why he thinks they can play that high, I honestly don't.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

This saints team just disappoints and upsets me. We all know we can play much much better than this so I'm afraid I have to place the blame at the managers door with these tactic which don't really make any sense at all 

Agree Ralph's got this wrong but blame all around. Our bench is such a sad reflection of where we currently are. This is largely the same squad that have been struggling for 3+ seasons.

3 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Well.. that's the early season optimism firmly put to bed. Ralph will surely change things after this. But this kind of start could set the tone for the whole season.. 

He fucked about with or line ups and formations like this at the start of last season. We all know where that led us. Quite why the fuck he’s experimenting again is totally beyond me. Oh, and our options off the bench are fucking embarrassing. I don’t ever expect to see Will Smallbone come on to the pitch and change a game for us.