Sport Republic

Dusic

37 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

We could have a cracking little European tour going on if all these purchases go through.

Sorry, I’ve already got exclusivity on the Chartered boat trip with @Convict Colony.  Website coming soon if you’d like to book tickets.

PS -

@Matthew Le God will be launching a GoFundMe page for digging his canal to Valenciennes FC if anyones got any spare cash.

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Sorry, I’ve already got exclusivity on the Chartered boat trip with @Convict Colony.  Website coming soon if you’d like to book tickets.

PS -

@Matthew Le God will be launching a GoFundMe page for digging his canal to Valenciennes FC if anyones got any spare cash.

I was hoping Sport Republic would fund the canal!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Attracted you as a fan for one

You can't blame the current board for that. My support for the club pre-dates them significantly. Ian Branfoot's management of Matthew Le Tissier was what first attracted me to the club.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Presumably they haven't spent oodles on loads of sooper-dooper players and we are not qualifying for Europe or pushing for a Top Six spot and haven't won a cup under them.....

One thing I can't work out is our lack of financial clout, given we have been in the prem pretty much solid apart from a few years of exile. Perhaps it's because the prem isn't the promised land as everyone tells us and the promised land is actually just finding a mega rich owner

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

One thing I can't work out is our lack of financial clout, given we have been in the prem pretty much solid apart from a few years of exile. Perhaps it's because the prem isn't the promised land as everyone tells us and the promised land is actually just finding a mega rich owner

The Premier League TV money, sponsorship and other PL perks allows for Saints to have a £114m annual wage bill. To be spending more than that would likely require an owner who isn't stopped from investing by his national government like Gao was.

48 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Well i have to disagree on Rasmus thinking our club is run well, far from it.

What's your definition of well run?

Let me assume it's chucking millions and buying better players.

Personally my view of the people in charge is of a high opinion. If you want to have a moan about how badly the club was run, then look at the previous owner not the people who were there (and still are here) on a day to day basis. It's somewhat of a miracle we weren't relegated in Gao's tenure.

The club have a strategy, there's a clear identity of how we want to play and now with a bit more muscle behind us financially (and with more engaged owners) those strategies will start to accelerate and then you'll appreciate that the guys at this club have always known what they're doing, they just had to od it with both hands and both legs tied behind their back before.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Wages. 

People always forget that clubs that come up have lots of players on Championship wages, this gives them room to spend (because transfer fees and wages are basically counted as the same package) but established PL clubs their players will want PL wages so every renewal becomes more and more expensive. That is why it often appears like the Leeds or Brentfords or Villas spend more than us over recent seasons because they will have or had a lot of their squad on a lot lower wages. 

PL wages is also how you get a lot of players to actually join because mid table PL clubs often pay as much as top clubs in other leagues. 

Add we had several transfer misses in a row (Lemina, Hoedt, Carillo etc.) which sadled the club with lots of wages that were no use, AND we had no owner putting in more money like say an Everton or Wolves, then the PL money only goes so far. 

Plus financial clout doesn't mean success, just look at Everton or Utd for example. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What's your definition of well run?

Let me assume it's chucking millions and buying better players.

Probably, but also just success on the pitch is what I am assuming the poster is relating to is key to "being well run". Our end of season form 2 years running has scuppered top 10 chances.

I think if you had to ask a neutral which teams are "well-run" outside the Top 6 in the Prem, the majority would set Leicester as the benchmark.

2 seasons in the top 5, an FA cup, 2European campaigns all post 2018.

You can argue Brighton, Wolves, WHU are also "better ran" then us, but then we'd need to really delve into the definition of what it means to be well run.

United are probably the worst run? Then Everton and Watford perhaps? All subject to debate. 

Edited by nta786
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Probably, but also just success on the pitch is what I am assuming the poster is relating to is key to "being well run". Our end of season form 2 years running has scuppered top 10 chances.

I think if you had to ask a neutral which teams are "well-run" outside the Top 6 in the Prem, the majority would set Leicester as the benchmark.

You can argue Brighton, Wolves, WHU are also "better ran" then us, but then we'd need to really delve into the definition of what it means to be well run.

United are probably the worst run? Then Everton and Watford perhaps? All subject to debate. 

Shouldn't you also consider resources available to the board? Saints have been stifled by having an owner who wasn't able to invest in the club, unlike the other clubs you listed.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Wages. 

People always forget that clubs that come up have lots of players on Championship wages, this gives them room to spend (because transfer fees and wages are basically counted as the same package) but established PL clubs their players will want PL wages so every renewal becomes more and more expensive. That is why it often appears like the Leeds or Brentfords or Villas spend more than us over recent seasons because they will have or had a lot of their squad on a lot lower wages. 

PL wages is also how you get a lot of players to actually join because mid table PL clubs often pay as much as top clubs in other leagues. 

Add we had several transfer misses in a row (Lemina, Hoedt, Carillo etc.) which sadled the club with lots of wages that were no use, AND we had no owner putting in more money like say an Everton or Wolves, then the PL money only goes so far. 

Plus financial clout doesn't mean success, just look at Everton or Utd for example. 

Excellent - thanks for this - genuinely helped. Probably helps to explain why we did well for a few years after promotion too

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, nta786 said:

But that all boils down to not having an engaged owner during those years, and if anything I think we overachieved to even be within a shot of Top 10. The seasons just caught up with our poor quality squad. I don't particularly think the methods or the plans being imposed by those in charge of the club have been wrong, they've just been massively hand tied in terms of what they could do. I think they're a bright bunch, now aided by some even more brighter people.

Of course I might be massively wrong and we're a clown show, but from the outside I think we know what we're doing and know what we want to do, we just didn't have the ownership to really back that previously. It must have been an incredibly frustrating place to work and manage at.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thanks for posting that MLG.

The size of the city would explain the interest in Gdansk. 

And Göztepe. Izmir is a very large city! It has a population of circa 3 million. Expand St Mary's and we could fly a crowd from Izmir over for Saints games!

Edited by Matthew Le God

16 hours ago, nta786 said:

Last season, Leicester fans wanted Brenda bodgers sacked though? And fans talk about saints collapsing over the late season period, well Leicester utterly bottled top 4 two years running 😂 their response was to buy vestergard and Bertrand and finish mid table. And now that is an example of well run?😅😉 I can't even imagine the reaction on here! 😂😉 - the only way that is well run is if their objective for the past 2.5 years was self sabotage. 

As for us, I still think Saints have done well just to rebalanced our squad and stay in the league - in that time we've played some good football (some shit), avoided the relegation scraps, and had a couple of cup runs - all with the lowest financial clout of the surviving teams from that period? Some fans may want to complain about the club/management for not finishing top 10 (or higher), or for not pumping in money (we don't have) - but that isn't realistic. 

I would say the signs suggest we currently have a decent management team and now good owners and a solid strategy to sustainably build our way up the league. If fans aren't happy with the approach then (I jest) it's probably time to consider switching the red and white stripes for something else - Because saints aren't loaded, we aren't going to be a villa / Everton / Newcastle with owners pumping money into the club - and sadly for us all, no amount of fan unhappiness/grumbling/moaning about it will change it - we simply don't have a sugar daddy owner. But on balance I am pleased we had semmens and Ralph for the past few seasons, and I am happy with the new owners so far 🤞

Also, if we do end up as the centrepiece of a well run multi club model, it could well mean an exciting future. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 12

21 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Leicester fans want Brenda bodgers sacked? And fans talk about saints collapsing over the late season period, well Leicester utterly bottled top 4 two years running 😂

They're response was to buy vestergard and Bertrand and finish mid table. And now that is an example of well run? 😉 - the only way that is well run is if their objective for the past 2.5 years was self sabotage. 

As for us, I still think Saints have done well just to rebalanced our squad and stay in the league - in that time we've played some good football (some shit), avoided the relegation scraps, and had a couple of cup runs - all with the lowest financial clout of the surviving teams from that period? Some fans may want to complain about the club/management for not finishing top 10 (or higher), or for not pumping in money (we don't have) - but that isn't realistic. 

I would say the signs suggest we currently have a decent management team and now good owners and a solid strategy to sustainably build our way up the league. If fans aren't happy with the approach then (I jest) it's probably time to consider switching the red and white stripes for something else - Because saints aren't loaded, we aren't going to be a villa / Everton / Newcastle with owners pumping money into the club - and sadly for us all, no amount of moaning  about it will change it.

Leicester may have had success that we can only dream of but they're actually quite similar in the sense of having a great few years after promotion and then coming down to earth. Perhaps the owners will pump in more money to keep them going but it may be they can't keep pulling rabbits out of hats in the transfer market

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Last season, Leicester fans wanted Brenda bodgers sacked though? And fans talk about saints collapsing over the late season period, well Leicester utterly bottled top 4 two years running 😂 their response was to buy vestergard and Bertrand and finish mid table. And now that is an example of well run?😅😉 I can't even imagine the reaction on here! 😂😉 - the only way that is well run is if their objective for the past 2.5 years was self sabotage. 

I would say the signs suggest we currently have a decent management team and now good owners and a solid strategy to sustainably build our way up the league. If fans aren't happy with the approach then (I jest) it's probably time to consider switching the red and white stripes for something else - Because saints aren't loaded, we aren't going to be a villa / Everton / Newcastle with owners pumping money into the club - and sadly for us all, no amount of fan unhappiness/grumbling/moaning about it will change it - we simply don't have a sugar daddy owner. But on balance I am pleased we had semmens and Ralph for the past few seasons, and I am happy with the new owners so far 🤞

Also, if we do end up as the centrepiece of a well run multi club model, it could well mean an exciting future. 

All good points until you bigged Ralph up.

• Haha 2

On 18/06/2022 at 15:02, Matthew Le God said:

What do you think they've done that is so wrong?

Wasting far too much money on players that are not PL standard. 

Allowing some managament to chase their own personal cv building in a nasty ticket sale policy.

Not sacking Le Tissier 18 months ago

Following the second 9-0 Hasenhuttl should have been sacked and hes been a dead man walking ever since.

• Haha 4

"My football plan is to create an ecosystem of cooperative top-tier clubs that will benefit from the sharing of a global footprint of talent identification," Textor told CBS Sports

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/lyon-sale-olympique-lyonnais-set-for-takeover-by-american-businessman-john-textor/

The guy who owns about 40% of Crystal Palace, also owns a 2nd division Belgian club and Botofogo in Brazil, has just bought Lyon as well. 

Looks very much like another guy going for a multi-club model similar to what Sport Rebublic are trying to do. 

I think he was also involved in takeover talks with Chelsea but didn't get it. 

* Edit, great minds, @tajjuk 🙂

Not S.R. related as such, but another multi-club model with a little bit of Prem interest thrown-in as Palace shareholder John Textor adding to his club portfolio with thepurchase of a large stake in Lyon (Also owns stake in Botafogo) 

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

"Which football ownership group do you support?"

Won't be long before this is a thing.

Yeah, it's ridiculous really. Wonder how far it will go before there is chat about it being banned. I've said it before, I think it's a nonsense that someone can own multiple clubs, but while it's allowed it's just going to grow

• Like 1

On 20/06/2022 at 22:09, SaintsLoyal said:

Wasting far too much money on players that are not PL standard. 

Allowing some managament to chase their own personal cv building in a nasty ticket sale policy.

Not sacking Le Tissier 18 months ago

Following the second 9-0 Hasenhuttl should have been sacked and hes been a dead man walking ever since.

Are you the artist formerly known as Ben?

On 18/06/2022 at 21:08, Nolan said:

The "translate from Turkish" button on Twitter suggests Göztepe will be loaning a number of Fenerbache players in their attempt to get promoted.

Wow, Turkish has his own button on twitter?! I knew he'd go far

• Haha 1

On 18/06/2022 at 15:02, Matthew Le God said:

What do you think they've done that is so wrong?

You've missed the point.  Rasmus is not saying we ARE well run, he is saying part of the attraction for the purchase is that we WERE well run.

It's fair to argue this point as post Koeman the club has been on decline, companies house reports show large losses and our transfers seem to have been far more fails than successes. (as evidenced by the number of players that we signed for 13m+ who we ended up sending out on loan while paying most, if not all, of their wages.

I thought you had an eye for detail too...

48 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

You've missed the point.  Rasmus is not saying we ARE well run, he is saying part of the attraction for the purchase is that we WERE well run.

It's fair to argue this point as post Koeman the club has been on decline, companies house reports show large losses and our transfers seem to have been far more fails than successes. (as evidenced by the number of players that we signed for 13m+ who we ended up sending out on loan while paying most, if not all, of their wages.

I thought you had an eye for detail too...

Kraft Said Southampton "is already a well run club"

Screenshot_2022-06-23-14-59-43-17_df198e732186825c8df26e3c5a10d7cd.jpg

• Like 2

Ok some good news to report on this thread.

I have discovered it is actually possible to sail to Valenciennes by boat from southampton - you can access the canal system from bruges and journey down that way.

So that is now Gdansk, Goztepe and now Valenciennes which @SuperSAINT could travel to by boat if SR actually buy them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I have discovered it is actually possible to sail to Valenciennes by boat from southampton - you can access the canal system from bruges and journey down that way.

So that is now Gdansk, Goztepe and now Valenciennes which @SuperSAINT could travel to by boat if SR actually buy them.

image.gif.278adbaf44770f9fddc998cf4038eb17.gif

• Like 1

Given all of Göztepe's foreign allocation will apparently come from the Sports Republic portfolio, at the moment it looks like we're loaning 7 players to Göztepe.

Screenshot_2022-06-23-16-16-55-24.thumb.jpg.0a771817beabbd0efe0d6ce1e9dbf185.jpg

Edited by Nolan

45 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Any idea of permitted draught? I'm sure my blow up kayak could manage it but I'd prefer something bigger crossing the shipping lanes and so that I don't get taken for an illegal immigrant.

57 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Given all of Göztepe's foreign allocation will apparently come from the Sports Republic portfolio, at the moment it looks like we're loaning 7 players to Göztepe.

Screenshot_2022-06-23-16-16-55-24.thumb.jpg.0a771817beabbd0efe0d6ce1e9dbf185.jpg

It might not mean all of them from Saints, if Goztepe are one of a few clubs bought this summer, other players might be rotated from them as well.

53 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’ve said it before.

I really couldn’t give a fuck what other clubs SR own.  

I can’t understand why people get excited about it.

Saints would potentially benefit being the keystone club in any group. The flow of players through the group ultimately benefits the club at the top of the group, which is unlikely to be anyone other than Saints.