Sport Republic

Dusic

3-0 loss to Pendikspor.

2-0 down after 31 minutes, recieved a straight red at half time. Conceded a 3rd halfway through the second half.

Not going well at Göztepe, with the caveat that the latest management team has only just been put in place.

Edited by Nolan

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Good day for Rasmus & gang.  Göztepe win again.

Although a win is a win, had they not got past these two clubs the locals could have really turned.

Göztepe's midweek 'win' was a draw in a cup match against third tier opposition. They went through After Extra Time.

Yesterday they scraped a 1 -0 victory against 2nd from bottom Malatyaspor.

With only 5 goals scored in the first 9 league games they need to find some rhythm quickly.

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’m more concerned with their passive support of a shit manager than how some Turkish non-league team are doing.

We need to know how the biggest club in our group is getting on, we might get some of their players on loan 🙏🏼

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/10/2022 at 20:48, Turkish said:

We need to know how the biggest club in our group is getting on, we might get some of their players on loan 🙏🏼

Yes, the last thing we need is to find out Erasmus has been reading derogatory comments about the Eurasian flagship on here.  Go go Göztepe...

26 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Proverbial hitting the fan at Göztepe

Altay goalkeeper attacked with a corner flag

That's mental. Seems like the ambulances were there because some flares got launched into the stands and people were hurt. While that was going on the dude smacked the keeper with the corner flag.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

You'll have to click translate tweet but Altay fans threw one or more flares into the Goztepe fans.

Absolute chaos, big fine for Sports Republic to pay probably. 

Hopefully we get to play them pre season and show them what real support looks like 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Absolute chaos, big fine for Sports Republic to pay probably. 

Hopefully we get to play them pre season and show them what real support looks like 

If we do I'm after an away trip, they won't have a clue how to deal with our fans when they start singing songs about a bloke with a mars bar on his head.

Edited by The Cat
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

For those of you on Twitter check out @gchahal for more videos and photos, some of it is really sickening 🤢

Just looked. Wish I hadn't. Poor fella had a haemorrhage. Appalling incident. 

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Just saw it on Twitter. Whoa.

But who here, honestly, hasn't wanted to lamp Alex McCarthy with a corner flag?

Agreed. In no way, shape or form so I condone it, but we have all thought about it.

Everytime I see Jack Grealish play I think if I was a player I’d go for his shins every single time, just as a hint he needs to pull his socks up and wear a proper pair of pads. 👍🏻

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Seems like a goztepe fan attacked the altay goalkeeper in their local derby this weekend.

Goalkeeper attacked by fan in Turkish derby between Goztepe and Altay - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63779895

Are you the version of the Google Spaces summary option for this forum where you post what people have just been talking about in case they don't have time to read too far up the thread?

19 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Agreed. In no way, shape or form so I condone it, but we have all thought about it.

Everytime I see Jack Grealish play I think if I was a player I’d go for his shins every single time, just as a hint he needs to pull his socks up and wear a proper pair of pads. 👍🏻

I haven't.

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Probably lower league clubs.

Bit of googling after link posted above.

If it’s from Serie C then two places recognised are Vincenza (in the Venice region) and Trieste (possibly a ‘fallen giant’ with potential). 

Both would good for a pre-season piss up around Europe on the way to Goztpe. That is what it’s all about isn’t it ?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Feel a bit meh on sports republic really so far. What we have here feels like a slight upgrade on gao which isn’t really what is needed.. what we needed was a owner that could be ambitious enough to compete with mid table ish clubs like West Ham villa maybe Leicester etc..still feels like we are trying to compete on a shoestring and I don’t think this multi club idea is going to be anything comparable to redbull..

don’t wanna sound entitled but unless your owners are willing to compete with the mid table sides financially I don’t see much more joy then we had with gao tbh 

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Feel a bit meh on sports republic really so far. What we have here feels like a slight upgrade on gao which isn’t really what is needed.. what we needed was a owner that could be ambitious enough to compete with mid table ish clubs like West Ham villa maybe Leicester etc..still feels like we are trying to compete on a shoestring and I don’t think this multi club idea is going to be anything comparable to redbull..

don’t wanna sound entitled but unless your owners are willing to compete with the mid table sides financially I don’t see much more joy then we had with gao tbh 

So you don’t think the money spent this summer gone, was a mid-table budget. What are you expecting?

7 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

So you don’t think the money spent this summer gone, was a mid-table budget. What are you expecting?

Mid table clubs like West Ham are spending 45m upwards on players like Paquetá.. we are still shopping in the same price range we was when we first got promoted.. all our buys 10-15m kinda range. I don’t think it’s midtable budget really we just a bought a bunch of cheap players with not many outgoing 

when saints and West Ham got promoted we were probably not too far away from them with the level of players we would go for but the divide between mid table clubs and us is starting to get quite large now ..

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

to be improved, in all honesty our team is a good team… in about 7 years time with its potential. Our current team is the worst we’ve had in the prem imo since being back so the money hasn’t made us better. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

to be improved, in all honesty our team is a good team… in about 7 years time with its potential. Our current team is the worst we’ve had in the prem imo since being back so the money hasn’t made us better. 

I would disagree with that. And as for the Pimp (above), I hardly think West Ham's transfer dealings are something to be envious of. Sure, they've made plenty, but you don't have to look far into their purchases to find some expensive failures. Ditto Wolves. Ditto Everton. Ditto Leicester. All teams that would be classed as mid-table, despite the aspirations of their supporters.

As for Sports Republic, a lot of assumptions appear to be made by many on here based on what??? I think many would prefer meaningless bullshit, in the form of clickbait 'rumours' to actual news. It's still less than a year, and I believe there are signs of progress. Not many of us could afford to buy them out, so why not support them, and see where it takes us? Come on, you Saints!

3 hours ago, Piran said:

I would disagree with that. And as for the Pimp (above), I hardly think West Ham's transfer dealings are something to be envious of. Sure, they've made plenty, but you don't have to look far into their purchases to find some expensive failures. Ditto Wolves. Ditto Everton. Ditto Leicester. All teams that would be classed as mid-table, despite the aspirations of their supporters.

As for Sports Republic, a lot of assumptions appear to be made by many on here based on what??? I think many would prefer meaningless bullshit, in the form of clickbait 'rumours' to actual news. It's still less than a year, and I believe there are signs of progress. Not many of us could afford to buy them out, so why not support them, and see where it takes us? Come on, you Saints!

I wasn’t talking about if the players are successful or failures, but surely you can see the difference in spending power and ambition.clubs we used to be on a par with or above like West Ham, Leicester, villa etc. are purchasing players over double the price of our record signings.. we have stood still on what we spend since we got promoted whilst a lot of other teams in the league have moved way past that now the gulf is growing between us and the midtable clubs so much our best players could be going to them in the future..

it’s sticking your head In the sand to think we are competing with these clubs ambition wise or are spending like a midtable club.

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

On 20/12/2022 at 18:48, pimpin4rizeal said:

I wasn’t talking about if the players are successful or failures, but surely you can see the difference in spending power and ambition.clubs we used to be on a par with or above like West Ham, Leicester, villa etc. are purchasing players over double the price of our record signings.. we have stood still on what we spend since we got promoted whilst a lot of other teams in the league have moved way past that now the gulf is growing between us and the midtable clubs so much our best players could be going to them in the future..

it’s sticking your head In the sand to think we are competing with these clubs ambition wise or are spending like a midtable club.

Yet we spent c£66m in the summer, without a significant sale, and if reports are true we were prepared to shell out £20-30m on Ramos or Gakpo . (Whether that is in addition to the £66m is unknown and part of that could have been spent at the end of the window on Edozie and the Spanish lad).

That is a lot less than West Ham (£140m), but it does show a willingness to spend.

Problem as I see it is that rather than 2or3 key players to improve the team now, we go for an ‘investment portfolio’ approach of signing a number of young players who might be worth something after a year or two.  No real thought as how it might pan out this season

Source for figures (in case MLG asks)

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/ranking-premier-league-clubs-overall-transfers-net-spend-2022-liverpool-11th-leeds-17th

• Like 1

So our next home game will mark the one year anniversary of their arrival and celebrated as a brave new dawn for the club

however in reality it will see us highly likely in the relegation zone, quite possible bottom in the worse run of form many of us has ever seen. Many senior, influential figures have left off the pitch some have even come and gone. We go into a crucial transfer window without a head of recruitment. They appear to have appointed a poor manager hugely out of his depth, after keeping a failing manager far too long. they’ve presided over the largest transfer window spend in our history and the it appears the squad has got worse. Whilst off the pitch fans seem to be treated with distain, meanwhile the group chairman believes a small club in the turkish second division is the biggest one in our group of clubs and the chairman of the saints had said he doesn’t care what position the team finish in. 

have SR got anything right in a year?

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 9