Sport Republic

Dusic

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

“Our Covid losses were high like everybody else's,” he says. “I think the area that people don't recognise is what happened in the transfer market, particularly in Europe at that time. We had four players that we probably would have had £20 million transfer fees for [pre-Covid] – and that's being conservative – but we got £5 million for each of those players.

The bullshit klaxon is screaming...!🚨

Not even going to bother thinking of the other players for my own sanity but I imagine one of those was Lemina, for god's sake

• Like 1

"And that's really encouraging because their desire to then succeed is greater than somebody who's perhaps played 100 games already in the Premier League – are we just another club for them?”

Worrying if they actually believe that.

• Like 2

The words from Toby Steele suggests that the club may have got lost in the weeds, whilst arrogantly thinking it has cracked football. Nothing they are doing is revolutionary, people have been assessing players as to whether they will be good players or not for decades. They are just using computer spreadsheets instead of notebooks and knowledge. Data shouldn’t drive decisions, it should be one tool, but the technocratic style approach of Saints suggests it is the dominant factor. Perhaps this is why the academy is failing to produce Premier League standard players, or maybe it is a reliance on data that means they don’t value expert opinions, hence why there are no ex-pros involved in the academy and certainly no one who played at a high level. 

As for not signing players who’ve played 100+ games or it’s their second move, using this logic this board wouldn’t sign Alan Ball to help Steve Williams develop, or  Jimmy Case to help Shearer, Le Tit etc. or Kevin Richardson to help Matt Oakley and so on. 

It also looks like the current board did have more of an impact on who they got as owners to let them continue with their marvellous model that’s more worried about amortisation of playing assets than whether the team’s playing assets are good enough for the Premier League. They don’t need to be mutually exclusive, or have a mix that achieves both goals. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t get what the benefit would be to have your “primary” club to be an inferior team in an inferior league 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nope nor do I but given the clusterfuck of decisions made this year but will look forward to the amazing light show

• Like 1

Given it's the one year anniversary I thought I'd make a quick positive/negative of SR's first year:

Positives:
- Bought the club in the first place from Gao's ownership. Talked the talk about building a firm to rival that of the City Group etc.
- Bought young and up and coming players, with the intention to sell on for higher vale (mixed reception on that front).

Negatives:
- Talked about Saints and how they should be "grateful" to be in the Premier League.
- Talked about how some random team from Turkey were bigger than Saints - a team that had been in the Premier League (the most lucrative league in the world) for the majority of their existence.
- Poor transfer policy outcomes.
- High staff turnover, something obviously isn't right.
- Plummeted to bottom of the league under the transfer policy of buying kids.
- Kept Ralph on for too long after results started faltering.
- Replaced him with a Championship manager whilst other clubs around us in the league have replaced theirs with a higher calibre of manager.
- Screwed up the summer window by not buying a striker, a replacement for Romeu or a GK that was ready for the Premier League.
- Large disconnect from the fanbase.
- Shambles of a kit(s) this season, no classic Saints identity. Branding talked bollocks about being "brave, daring" - everything the current players aren't.
- Pointless fucking lightshow (coming tonight), not really the priority right now.

Have I missed anything? 😂

• Like 4

I don't believe it was SR with the 'grateful to be alive' narrative, that came from Semmens and that was before SR came in. The Gozepe quotes were lost in translation I think, I wouldn't put that on them.

Poor transfers is a bit harsh - I think the players they added are, on paper, clever and good signings with re-sale value. The problem we are in was due to them being a little too accepting of the experienced crop we have (Ely, Moussa, Diallo, Perraud, Adams, Armstrong etc). None of those are particularly good enough in the way we are trying to play, which is somewhat frustrating to see because the signings of Lavia, Edozie, ABK etc are positives but they're just surrounded by shit.

What has worried me most about SR is the crazy turnovers we have seen in staff. New Recruitment guy, then he left weeks later, our current DoF heading off at the end of the year mid-contract. A couple of new coaches in the summer brought in, but have since left. Those kind of things ring a few alarm bells, not sure what is going on to create that sort of turnover - poor planning on the part of us getting in the wrong people?

It'll be interesting to see where we are this time next year - that'll be a decent milestone to fully judge them.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Given it's the one year anniversary I thought I'd make a quick positive/negative of SR's first year:

Positives:
- Bought the club in the first place from Gao's ownership. Talked the talk about building a firm to rival that of the City Group etc.
- Bought young and up and coming players, with the intention to sell on for higher vale (mixed reception on that front).

Negatives:
- Talked about Saints and how they should be "grateful" to be in the Premier League.
- Talked about how some random team from Turkey were bigger than Saints - a team that had been in the Premier League (the most lucrative league in the world) for the majority of their existence.
- Poor transfer policy outcomes.
- High staff turnover, something obviously isn't right.
- Plummeted to bottom of the league under the transfer policy of buying kids.
- Kept Ralph on for too long after results started faltering.
- Replaced him with a Championship manager whilst other clubs around us in the league have replaced theirs with a higher calibre of manager.
- Screwed up the summer window by not buying a striker, a replacement for Romeu or a GK that was ready for the Premier League.
- Large disconnect from the fanbase.
- Shambles of a kit(s) this season, no classic Saints identity. Branding talked bollocks about being "brave, daring" - everything the current players aren't.
- Pointless fucking lightshow (coming tonight), not really the priority right now.

Have I missed anything? 😂

Yes, the pies are still shit. Thought I'd just mention that 🙄

2 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Christ on a bike...

Backing the competition, Tim Heath, Founder of Yolo Group, added: “This programme is designed to push boundaries, to bring together a spectrum of solutions from startups around the globe. It’s a chance to create truly unique approaches – and test them. We’re driven by innovation, so we’re looking forward to seeing the results.”

Sport Republic are really looking forward to being part of the Future of Football challenge to power innovation in sports tech,” noted Henrik Kraft, Sport Republic and SFC Chairman. “We are continuously seeking the most innovative sport tech companies to join our portfolio and leveraging our clubs to drive growth and digital transformation.”

What utter headwank.

People running the club are right off the fucking spectrum that's for sure.

As a revolutionary idea, why not try building a solid first team who win some matches and raise their position and profile up the league ? Or is that too 20th Century for these cunts?

• Like 5

On 03/01/2023 at 16:06, benjii said:

"And that's really encouraging because their desire to then succeed is greater than somebody who's perhaps played 100 games already in the Premier League – are we just another club for them?”

Worrying if they actually believe that.

100 games isn't even a massive amount. Che Adams and Stuart Armstrong have both got over 100 Prem appearances for us, I wouldn't class them as hugely experienced Prem players. 

14 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Nothing new there I don’t think. It’s been pretty obvious what they’re doing, 

Yes, sensible approach given the model. 

Jason Wilcox would be a great appointment, he is very highly regarded and well versed in this from the CFG.

Edited by Dusic

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Instinctively I was a bit worried about this but it could actually be good news as long as we stay as the top club. 

Yeah it is the logical approach, and tbh, I thought it was underway already. 

Which makes the appointment of Jones even more baffling, as I’m sure they don’t want all these clubs to play long ball shite.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah it is the logical approach, and tbh, I thought it was underway already. 

Which makes the appointment of Jones even more baffling, as I’m sure they don’t want all these clubs to play long ball shite.

I sure they're in the process of hunting for the Turkish Nathan Jones to keep the teams consistent! 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Nothing new there I don’t think. It’s been pretty obvious what they’re doing, 

I don't have an issue with the overall plan - its an ambitious way for them (and therefore saints) to punch above our weight. If they do it right then we'll have a good future.

But it all hinges on us staying up. I'd be tempted to say they've tried to do too much in too short a period, and consequently they are failing currently. Its certainly a risky approach. But then equally, they appear to be in it for the long haul, and for a while now we have wanted proper football orientated owners that are actively involved in the club. We have that now.

I suspect the biggest concern fans have with them is the appointment of Jones - to the point where SR's entire reputation with the fan base now hinges on him being a success? If Jones fails and we go down, the fan atmosphere towards SR will turn incredibly toxic. It will then be on them to act and address that, and the bar for restoring fan satisfaction will be higher. I just hope we can stay up as i think the future could be quite bright if we do.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Yes, sensible approach given the model. 

Jason Wilcox would be a great appointment, he is very highly regarded and well versed in this from the CFG.

If Jason Wilcox is so highly regarded I'm struggling to see why he would leave Man City to join us. If we offer more money surely City would just match anything we put on the table. Maybe I'm missing something.

21 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I don't have an issue with the overall plan - its an ambitious way for them (and therefore saints) to punch above our weight. If they do it right then we'll have a good future.

But it all hinges on us staying up. I'd be tempted to say they've tried to do too much in too short a period, and consequently they are failing currently. Its certainly a risky approach. But then equally, they appear to be in it for the long haul, and for a while now we have wanted proper football orientated owners that are actively involved in the club. We have that now.

I suspect the biggest concern fans have with them is the appointment of Jones - to the point where SR's entire reputation with the fan base now hinges on him being a success? If Jones fails and we go down, the fan atmosphere towards SR will turn incredibly toxic. It will then be on them to act and address that, and the bar for restoring fan satisfaction will be higher. I just hope we can stay up as i think the future could be quite bright if we do.

A big problem is we only know what's going on from tidbits on twitter. They need to communicate with their fanbase. When the fans are left in the dark, it's hard to get them behind the project.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

A big problem is we only know what's going on from tidbits on twitter. They need to communicate with their fanbase. When the fans are left in the dark, it's hard to get them behind the project.

I'm really surprised they haven't appointed some sort of vocal fan liaison officer. I get that fans aren't really important, but you would think they would at least attempt to placate fans a bit because it can only be positive for them. 

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

This approach isn't a surprise, and actually it's how all these multi-club models work. It's the only way it would work really, economies of scale and all that. 

I can see why the likes of Crocker and co are leaving, and I can also see how we are attracting the likes of Shields/Wilcox - as they will be part of SR, not just ourselves. Equally they have experience of working in a multi-club model at Man City.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, saintant said:

If Jason Wilcox is so highly regarded I'm struggling to see why he would leave Man City to join us. If we offer more money surely City would just match anything we put on the table. Maybe I'm missing something.

It’s not that tricky to understand as he’d be in a more senior role, hence it’s a promotion.

1 hour ago, TotalSaintsPod said:

Just wanted to share a clip from our podcast this week, I think it's pretty relevant to this thread and hopefully provides some extra insight on whats going on behind the scenes right now.

Would love to know what you all think on the below.

All i can say is white privilege and toxic masculinty 

But honestly i will watch this tomorrow as some good names and also @stevegrant there

Edited by Convict Colony

The YouTube comment original and translation:

Selam arkadaşlar.. Göztepemizin sezon başı bu şekilde yönetim değişikliğini yeni gelişmeler olacak, profosyonelce ataklar yapılacak diye içimize sindirmeye çalıştık veya öyle olmasını temenni ettik. Ancak, bu gelen şirketin hiç ama hiç gündeminde takımımız yok. Onlar da yalnış yapıyorlar.. Bu ligde kafaya oynayanların yaptığı harcama yanında çok daha küçük yatırımlar ile bu takım play-off'a dahi katılıp, müthiş taraftar desteği ile ligi bile zorlayabilirdi. Bunu bile göremeyen bir yatırım firması var.. Anlaşılmaz bir durum.. Yazık oluyor bu yıla.. Umarım bu günkü durumumuzu dahi aramayız.. (Zayıf ihtimal de olsa düşme potasında bile mücadele edebileceğimizi hissedebiliriz yani...) Bilmiyorum devir protokolünde Sepil'in halen müdahale edebilecek maddeleri var mı? Bu belirsizliğin bertaraf edileceği zaman, bu zaman... (Geçen sene bu zamanlarda eski yönetimin yaptığı hatalar bizi bu angut duruma düşürdüğünü unutmayalım..) Sepil'in müdahale edebileceği bir husus var ise şunu bilsin ki taraftar bu saatten sonra ileriye dönük olabilecek her olumlu hareketi fazlasıyla destekleyecek ve kaybettiği prestijini tekrar ona geri döndürecektir... Gerçekten saçma sapan bir durumda bu takımı bırakmak akıl alacak gibi değil.. Kalın sağlıcakla..

TRANSLATION

Hi friends.. We tried to digest the management change of our Göztepe at the beginning of the season, because there would be new developments, professional attacks would be made, or we hoped that it would be so. However, we do not have a team on the agenda of this incoming company at all. They are also doing it wrong.. With much smaller investments in addition to the expenses made by those who play head-to-head in this league, this team could even participate in the play-offs and push the league with great fan support. There is an investment firm that cannot even see this.. It is an incomprehensible situation.. It is a pity for this year.. I hope we do not even look for our current situation.. (We can feel that we can fight even in the relegation pot, even if there is a weak possibility...) I don't know, Sepil's statement in the transfer protocol Are there still substances that can interfere? This is the time when this uncertainty will be eliminated... (Let's not forget that the mistakes made by the old administration at this time last year put us in this dire situation..) If there is a matter that Sepil can intervene, the fans should know that after this time, any positive thing that can be forward-looking. It will support the movement greatly and it will return the lost prestige to him again... It would be unwise to leave this team in a really ridiculous situation.. Stay safe..