Sport Republic

Dusic

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Matter of opinion. I saw a bloke take on a team that although was low on confidence, they had only just gone into the relegation zone. Jones sucked the life out of the club in the following 3 months. What manager is lucky enough to have a mini pre season, and a transfer window pretty much straight away. He lost 7 out of 8 games playing some of the worst football I've ever watched, and being a complete dislikeable lunatic. 

I remember being at the cup game, first game back from the world cup, and watching us get completely outplayed by Lincoln City.  We only started playing once Walcott came on.  Going to Fulham on NYE, changing the system to a 4 at the back at HT and we were the better team comfortably. He then went back to a 5 at the back, we sat on the edge of our box and ended up losing. We should have won that game.That Forest game in January was absolutely appalling, and I think it was still Forest's only away win of the season? We didn't trouble their goal at all, just played aimless long balls to no-one. That was when he should have been sacked IMO.  He was kept on because they let him buy Onuachu, who is absolutely shit.  He was given a relatively "easy" run of games, 

Selles was an assistant manager, in his first job, with a team on the floor.  Battered and bruised having just lost 7 of the last 8, including one against 10 men after being 1-0 up!  He got a few wins against Chelsea and Leicester, and a few battling draws against Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, and Liverpool.  There is no doubt we didn't perform against the shitter teams but at least we showed a bit of fight. 

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for me, it's not comparable really. Ultimately neither were good enough, but for me Jones was a huge part in us being relegated. And ultimately the team wasn't either, but we should never have been cut adrift by as many points as we were in the end IMO.

100%. You have to consider the context when you're judging both of them and given that, Jones was a thousand times worse. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Key takeaways from me:

- They accept responsibility. They admit mistakes in the recruitment makeup and they admit they weren't as involved as they should have been, all very honest and candid and holding their hands up. 

- They are engaged, they're doing the opposite of what I think a lot of fans thought they'd do - committing and reinforcing their intentions for us, they're not stepping back and regretting the purchase and looking to flog us. Far from it

- The ambition is there, seeing the words ''want to win'' is something I haven't seen a director of this club say for many years. That's the sort of narrative the club needs to feed off of. I haven't heard that since Cortese was here.

- As I've said all along, these guys (especially Dragan) have the right intentions, they're not doing this to destroy us and they're not as silly as this season has made them out to be in my opinion.

- The statement about this situation brewing for years was correct, we've circled the drain for years with minimal investment. It was inevitable that it would happen eventually without the correct decisions. You cannot deny we had the investment, but the decisions and execution of that was all wrong - which they've openly accepted the blame for.

- Dragan having a big say in Jones and trying to stick up for him. He does admit his press conferences didn't help the situation, but I do struggle to understand what on earth they saw in him via an interview which would have suggested he could handle the pressure he was about to endure. 

So far nothing hugely ground-breaking, a lot of ''yep, well we know that'' mixed into it - but they've not hid away from the mistakes and they've held their hands up. Dragan for example could have totally distanced himself from the Jones debacle, but he seemed to own that decision in the interview which is refreshing. I think they're an honest bunch and as I said they have the right intentions. 

I've never agreed with all the vitriol throw their way, as this situation has been brewing for quite some time. Now we have a clean slate and their closer involvement I hope everything aligns a bit better, I get the impression that there was a lot of infighting and clashing behind the scenes last year - but this club will now be full of their people on their terms. Success in football comes from alignment, from the top right down to the playing squad - hopefully we get that now.

I thought when they came in they said they wouldn't change much as we were a well run club. That doesn't chime with them saying this situation has been brewing for years. It might well have been but that's not what they said initially.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

100%. You have to consider the context when you're judging both of them and given that, Jones was a thousand times worse. 

Its like choosing between Herpes and Chlamydia. 

You don't want either and if you're sensible in the way you approach things, both are avoidable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

In hindsight I do think we would have been better off keeping Jones. If only he had kept his mouth shut I think eventually he would have got more out of the players than Selles, but his personality was so horrendously wrong I am still at a loss how SR couldn’t see it.

This interview (the part that I’ve seen anyway) hasn’t particularly impressed me and the fact some of it is behind a paywall on a dire website is not really the best way to communicate with the fans. 
They’ve attempted to explain this car crash of a season with a lot of words but very little substance and the word “sorry” is nowhere to be seen. Ankersen in particular has some explaining to do. Why does he attend so few matches etc? 
We needed a hard hitting journalist (if there are any still around) to ask some probing direct questions instead we are offered a  anodyne cosy chat at Staplewood that you have to pay two quid to read if you can fight your way through the pop up adverts. Poor show all around. This summer starting with the managerial appointment is massively important and I am not sure the three members of SR have the necessary football intelligence to oversee a serious stab at going back up a la Burnley. Anyone who can make a blunder as big as Jones has to be seriously flawed. 

Agree, this interview should have been freely available to all fans and you have to wonder why they decided to do it in such a cack-handed way. Another own-goal I'm afraid.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Matter of opinion. I saw a bloke take on a team that although was low on confidence, they had only just gone into the relegation zone. Jones sucked the life out of the club in the following 3 months. What manager is lucky enough to have a mini pre season, and a transfer window pretty much straight away. He lost 7 out of 8 games playing some of the worst football I've ever watched, and being a complete dislikeable lunatic. 

I remember being at the cup game, first game back from the world cup, and watching us get completely outplayed by Lincoln City.  We only started playing once Walcott came on.  Going to Fulham on NYE, changing the system to a 4 at the back at HT and we were the better team comfortably. He then went back to a 5 at the back, we sat on the edge of our box and ended up losing. We should have won that game.That Forest game in January was absolutely appalling, and I think it was still Forest's only away win of the season? We didn't trouble their goal at all, just played aimless long balls to no-one. That was when he should have been sacked IMO.  He was kept on because they let him buy Onuachu, who is absolutely shit.  He was given a relatively "easy" run of games, 

Selles was an assistant manager, in his first job, with a team on the floor.  Battered and bruised having just lost 7 of the last 8, including one against 10 men after being 1-0 up!  He got a few wins against Chelsea and Leicester, and a few battling draws against Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, and Liverpool.  There is no doubt we didn't perform against the shitter teams but at least we showed a bit of fight. 

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for me, it's not comparable really. Ultimately neither were good enough, but for me Jones was a huge part in us being relegated. And ultimately the team wasn't either, but we should never have been cut adrift by as many points as we were in the end IMO.

Agree with this. Jones was Sport Republic’s first choice when Saints were relatively stable, stock was relatively high. The mid season preseason and upcoming window a remarkable gift. Had they made a credible appointment at that point we would have stayed up. Selles was a stop-gap that in many ways flattered to deceive because he won that first game against Chelsea, in the weeks that followed he was clearly out of his depth. The incoming appointment cannot be in the same vein as the last two, pray that the incoming Wilcox and Mowbray have had primary input this time around. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CB Fry said:

They will need the right manager and the recommendation of Jason Wilcox, the new director of football, recruited from Manchester City in January, will hold the most weight. The successor to Rubén Sellés will be in situ by the time the team return for pre-season training at the end of June.

End of June? How long is it taking to do new manager Social Media announcement videos these days?

He’s been with the Welsh FA this weekend but should be around soon I think

28 minutes ago, Dman said:

Its like choosing between Herpes and Chlamydia. 

You don't want either and if you're sensible in the way you approach things, both are avoidable. 

I think there are mitigating circumstances with Selles though given when he came in. Jones had everything in his favour and was absolutely horrendous. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What are we waiting for? 

A load of flipping videos and interviews. He's not appointed until there's a picture of him holding a scarf up just next to the pitch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Rasmussen's little computer with all his algorithms on it must only be tuned to Wales and its managers, clearly. He's so left-field! What an outlier! What a brain.

Also, what a twat.

• Haha 3

From the interview, this bit gives some context of what was going on at the club:

’He wondered if there was a psychological problem. “We know we have great players, but they don’t show that in the games,” he says. “Some answers we got from the club were, ‘Don’t worry, it will be better.

“We would now like to know more about the life of the club and to be supportive to enable them to be the best possible. We were not failed by the people in the club, I failed them. I should have been closer to everything.” From now on he will be, as he puts it, “part of the family”. 

No wonder they are keen to be a bit closer to things!
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DT said:

I think Rasmussen's little computer with all his algorithms on it must only be tuned to Wales and its managers, clearly. He's so left-field! What an outlier! What a brain.

Also, what a twat.

F sake delayed tremors…

Are you gonna be pulling this shit all summer? If so for the 1st time ever I’m going to need to use the mute button. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Saints fans really are a "special" breed. Nothing that anybody does is good enough. SR have admitted that they made mistakes, explained what they thought that they saw in the "Mad Welshman", have started clearing out the "deadwood" at Board level and basically "promised" promotion next year....but that is not enough. I suppose a procession through the Bargate in sackcloth and ashes is what is required....

The more Ive read on twitter and this forum is that the majority of football fans now are completely out of touch with reality, wanting them gone already… even though I think if we’d of remained under Gao this would/could be the end of us, or atleast our top table tenure… or would you rather have had a situation such as Leicester ? Seeing a managed decline of a club that has recently been in the Champions League?

SR aren’t perfect, I do think they heavily dropped the ball, I do have close links with the club and did hear, as backed up by The Athletic that it got to a point where the boardrooms (new/old) were too far apart, I do however 100% agree that Rasmus and whoever advised him made far too many bad decisions, as well as Semmens… it felt like they bounced footballing decisions between the two boards instead of sorting this pre season

We’re a fucking mess, but I have optimism that we are in the process of addressing this, Wilcox, hopefully, will enable us to build a footballing department that is focused and united, the proof of course will always be in the pudding of course, but it seems like, fir now, we have an ownership commitment to get us back up at the first time of asking and I feel we have to trust that… the other clubs that went down ?

Leeds will likely have an ownership change this year so it remains to be seen where they end up

Leicester have no money

I honestly struggle to understand what some people want to be honest

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Very strange logic.

Not really. Anyone over the age of 18 that has the time to invest in a computer simulation game, clearly doesn't have much of a social life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Saint86 said:

It wasn't brewing for some time. They had £160M and failed to buy a striker, and then sold romeu and got no back up cdm. Not only did we fail to address that, but we've also set about rapid change at all levels and disrupted seemingly all parts of the club!

A lot of that was uneccessary or done to hastily. So I would say that this year's relegation was  avoidable - and SR shouldn't hide / be excused from that (they aren't trying to dodge it tbf). 

And at least they're committed and seemingly have ambition - that Immediatley sets them above any CEO/ownership since the cortese/Marcus days. They have the right to try and fix the mess we're in this summer and be supported by the fans - provided they do follow up with investment and sound decisions at least. But another year like last and we'll surely see a huge turning against them from the fans?! 

I think I agree with this tbh, pretty much how I see it

I do think it was avoidable this year but too much happened too soon, there was just far too many changes both in the backroom and on the pitch…. We spent good money, but as is a running theme over the last 5 years or so, our signings that HAD to impact the team immediately were very very poor.. we DESPERATELY needed a striker, we failed… 

All three manager decisions were a disaster one way or another too… they have to get it right this year and have a real go, anything outside of the playoffs is unnacceptable to me and even then it will depend on spend etc

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yup… completely agree, Jones was never a good fit, at all, pretty much within the first couple of weeks there were whispers from the training ground that all was not well, not only did he fail from a PR perspective in yhe media but he got it wrong with the players too, whether it was training or his relationship

Letting the team go on holiday too was a HUGE mistake, not sure exactly who signed that off but for me, we needed to get the squad galvanised and working towards the new tactical plans… we didn’t, and in the end it was a shit show…. I don’t agree with the changing of tactics every five minutes too, that doesn’t show me he is confident of what he is doing at all in fact it shows me he was flapping in the dugout as frantically as he was infront of the camera

Metrics DO have a huge place in the game these days… but theres more to it than that, you need to do a proper assessment, and clearly we didn’t 

Selles ? Ive said before I think theres a good coach in there, and potentially a good manager, his appointment made a bit more sense to me but of course it turned out to be a huge mistake, I think in part he was just too close to the players as well as attempting to be far too passive

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Not really. Anyone over the age of 18 that has the time to invest in a computer simulation game, clearly doesn't have much of a social life. 

Weird.

I play games, not FM at the moment but have in the past. I go out to loads of gigs and football matches. You can do both.

In fact a lot of people I know who don't play games sit in and watch TV every night which is no different and in my mind far more dull.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Weird.

I play games, not FM at the moment but have in the past. I go out to loads of gigs and football matches. You can do both.

In fact a lot of people I know who don't play games sit in and watch TV every night which is no different and in my mind far more dull.

sounds like you need to get a life then 

35 minutes ago, Dman said:

Over 18. Plays games occasionally to unwind/a way to kill a few hours on a quiet day off. Engaged. Planning a wedding. Buying property. Working full time. Good, fun social life. 👍🏻

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Over 18. Plays games occasionally to unwind/a way to kill a few hours on a quiet day off. Engaged. Planning a wedding. Buying property. Working full time. Good, fun social life. 👍🏻

Much better ways to unwind, go to the gym, go for a run, go for a walk, learn a new skill or musical instrument. When you get to your 50s people wont be impressed that you won the champions league with Telford on a silly game, they will be impressed though if you're still in good shape, can drive a golf ball 300 yards or can whip a guitar out and play a tune. that wedding and property will cost you far more than you think when your missus wakes up one day and realise the fat mess next to hers only achievement in life came from a computer game.

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

As opposed to grown adults having enough time to post thousands of times on an internet forum? 

• Haha 13

49 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Much better ways to unwind, go to the gym, go for a run, go for a walk, learn a new skill or musical instrument. When you get to your 50s people wont be impressed that you won the champions league with Telford on a silly game, they will be impressed though if you're still in good shape, can drive a golf ball 300 yards or can whip a guitar out and play a tune. that wedding and property will cost you far more than you think when your missus wakes up one day and realise the fat mess next to hers only achievement in life came from a computer game.

I must admit that did make me chuckle. 😅

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

Nice to see we're going to have some truly exhilarating discussions over this summer break

To be honest we should’ve started having these topics of conversation at Christmas, the football front hasn’t exactly been exciting 😂

47 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

As opposed to grown adults having enough time to post thousands of times on an internet forum? 

So you clearly post thousands of times on an internet forum and play computer games. Jheeze, there really is no hope for you. 

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This aint Tinder, pal. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Hows it any different to going going to the cinema or going fishing? Or supporting a football team for that matter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

With knowledge and experience like this, Rob doesn't stand a chance 😂

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Nice to see we're going to have some truly exhilarating discussions over this summer break

At least we’ve routed out all of MLG’s burner accounts… 

• Like 1

Amateurs.

I make the time to work, gym, pork my bird, pork my other one, go out for dinner, see my mates at the pub, play 5-a-side, post on here, check on my investments, run a podcast, eat healthily, call my mum, AND play video games. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, hippo said:

Amateurs.

I make the time to work, gym, pork my bird, pork my other one, go out for dinner, see my mates at the pub, play 5-a-side, post on here, check on my investments, run a podcast, eat healthily, call my mum, AND play video games. 

No golf?  Wanker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Hows it any different to going going to the cinema or going fishing? Or supporting a football team for that matter. 

Fishing you are out in the fresh air, getting natural light not sitting staring at a screen. Significantly better

Supporting a football team unless you are a complete loser weirdo freak you generally talk and mix with people at football, of course some people sit there on their own analysing how many turnovers achieved but for most normal people supporting a football team is a good way to make new friends, catch up with existing ones, spend time with family and have a decent day out. Signficantly better 

Cinema - you have to get out of the house to get there and speak to people when you're there so doing that makes it different to playing computer games although it's not my favourite past time, think i've only been once in five years or so. Somewhat better

Part two of the interview is now out there: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23558281.southampton-fc-owners-explain-key-incomings-amid-championship-target/

Some of the key quotes...

Rasmus Ankersen:

“Jason [Wilcox] will have day-to-day contact with the head coach and we will be here more often. We will have a presence here but that is mainly to support everyone and show that Sport Republic is behind the club and wants everyone to be successful.

“We want to support them but won’t be here executing day-to-day operations, that is their job. Jason will support the manager every day, be involved in key decisions and make sure we have that alignment.

“We want to build a larger system of clubs and fuel player development through that so we have enough on our plate building that and that is our focus but, clearly, this is our flagship club, so we will give whatever attention it needs to be successful.”

“You don’t want to sign a player the head coach doesn’t want. There is a lot of waste there, so that is one part,” Ankersen said.

“But on the other hand, people from the outside sometimes forget that being the head coach is a hard job and they don’t have much time to watch players and that is why you have a big scouting team that doesn’t do anything else but find the right players.

“The head coach is very important in identifying the type of player we want and the final process when we have three candidates, he can help choose which one he prefers. Jason will overlook this and it’s a collaborative effort.

“You want to have multiple views on a player to make sure every stone is turned. It’s a big operation, modern football. There is a whole system that operates that.”

Dragan Solak:

“The new manager, the suggestion, the analysis and the reason why will come predominantly from Jason, not from us - because he is the director of football.

“We hope to be consulted and to be involved in decision-making but we truly believe in the people we will give power to run the club and will do everything we can to support them and enable them to do better.

“He [the new manager] is always capable of staking his desires [for transfer targets] but they have to be checked over and there has to be a discussion and a joint decision.

“Nobody is going to just buy players and tell the coach, here is the team! He needs to like the players and know their role in the team.

“We will not send him a bus load of players, it’s not one man’s decision but it is in the domain of Jason, the manager, their team and scouts and us on the transfer committee.”

Henrik Kraft:

“The goal is to win the Championship, the goal is very clear, the goal is to get promoted.

“We are trying to shape the organisation to make sure it is fit for purpose and absolutely achieves that goal. I think we will have a lot more resources in reality than most of our competitors this season so we are in a very good position.”
Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, hippo said:

Amateurs.

I make the time to work, gym, pork my bird, pork my other one, go out for dinner, see my mates at the pub, play 5-a-side, post on here*, check on my investments, run a podcast, eat healthily, call my mum, AND play video games. 

*only 7 times. Lightweight.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Says the man who has made over 43200 posts on a football message board. :lol:

• Haha 2

Can't disagree with any of what they say really, have to get behind that. The ambition is clearly there.

Part of me wonders if it was a bit daft saying we will have more resources than other clubs (it may push the price up when we try to buy players), but it's certainly an indication that financially - this season and next at least - we are fine, but there is also an acceptance in that statement that this will be contributed to by player income.

Edited by S-Clarke

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Lots of encouraging bits in the latest bit of the interview tbf. I'm pleased they are leaving the football decisions largely to the football man and reiterating the point about winning the league. Positive quotes. 

totally agree and decent comment from the off that it is the goal to win the league....

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

totally agree and decent comment from the off that it is the goal to win the league....

The main bit of positivity is that with this quote they are going to look very silly if we aren't up there after a couple of months. For that reason I think they will have a proper go at it. 

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Part of me wonders if it was a bit daft saying we will have more resources than other clubs (it may push the price up when we try to buy players)

They've likely reasoned that it's obvious and everyone will be aware. 3 clubs have maximum parachute payments in the bank and it's clear we're selling some valuable assets to bolster that. probably better to make a statement to a disgruntled fanbase and attempt to get them back on side and buying season tickets.

• Like 1

It’s encouraging at this stage and their comment about the previous lot saying that things would get better shows how complacent they actually were. I know there are Martin Semmens et al fan boys on here but ask people who work for the club whether they’re sad to see the majority of the previous regime go and they’ll likely tell you they were happy the are gone because of their crap approach. They weren’t very good and the signs from what SR are saying to me is that they know now that they shouldn’t have put so much belief in them, but that was Semmens and Co always wanted, hands off ownership to let them stay on the gravy train. 

Anyway, there is reason to be optimistic from these reports. The Jones error will no doubt be one they learn from, and that it needs to be more than just stats. Proof as always will be in the pudding though but with any luck, we will be up in the next few years. Although the Championship will be fun and being also-rans/relegation fodder in the Prem is dogshit 🤣