Sport Republic

Dusic

Also good that they are talking about Brentford and Brighton as clubs to emulate rather than what Semmens said before. If what they are saying is true, it does seem that the existing personalities had a bit of a loser mentality. Let's hope we see a difference if they are to be more hands on. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Says the man who has made over 43200 posts on a football message board. :lol:

works out a little over 7 posts a day, this post will take me less than a minute to type, so less than 7 minutes of my day. Great point sunshine. :lol: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Fishing you are out in the fresh air, getting natural light not sitting staring at a screen. Significantly better

Supporting a football team unless you are a complete loser weirdo freak you generally talk and mix with people at football, of course some people sit there on their own analysing how many turnovers achieved but for most normal people supporting a football team is a good way to make new friends, catch up with existing ones, spend time with family and have a decent day out. Signficantly better 

Cinema - you have to get out of the house to get there and speak to people when you're there so doing that makes it different to playing computer games although it's not my favourite past time, think i've only been once in five years or so. Somewhat better

I never said it wasn't "better" I'm simply pointing out that one's enjoyment of a game isn't an indicator of their social life.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Also good that they are talking about Brentford and Brighton as clubs to emulate rather than what Semmens said before. If what they are saying is true, it does seem that the existing personalities had a bit of a loser mentality. Let's hope we see a difference if they are to be more hands on. 

This is how I feel, the comment Semmens made that I can never let go of is -

''For us, it's not about where we finish in the league - it's about how many players we develop''

''We know we cannot compete in this league, we are fortune to be here'' etc etc. 

That narrative was doing my head in, it's all well and good toing that line when there is minimal investment, but there needs to be a shift in those views when there is investment. I don't think the incumbent club and the new guys at SR ever meshed correctly when they were under the same roof, you can't tell these things until you've worked together for a while. It's all about alignment and that starts from the top.

• Like 10

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

works out a little over 7 posts a day, this post will take me less than a minute to type, so less than 7 minutes of my day. Great point sunshine. :lol: 

7 posts a day is fucking tragic when you account for the time inbetween posts, trawling through pages getting angry over woke stuff or arguing with Sadoldgit about transexuals.

Sad fucker.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Part two of the interview is now out there: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23558281.southampton-fc-owners-explain-key-incomings-amid-championship-target/

Some of the key quotes...

Rasmus Ankersen:

“Jason [Wilcox] will have day-to-day contact with the head coach and we will be here more often. We will have a presence here but that is mainly to support everyone and show that Sport Republic is behind the club and wants everyone to be successful.

“We want to support them but won’t be here executing day-to-day operations, that is their job. Jason will support the manager every day, be involved in key decisions and make sure we have that alignment.

“We want to build a larger system of clubs and fuel player development through that so we have enough on our plate building that and that is our focus but, clearly, this is our flagship club, so we will give whatever attention it needs to be successful.”

“You don’t want to sign a player the head coach doesn’t want. There is a lot of waste there, so that is one part,” Ankersen said.

“But on the other hand, people from the outside sometimes forget that being the head coach is a hard job and they don’t have much time to watch players and that is why you have a big scouting team that doesn’t do anything else but find the right players.

“The head coach is very important in identifying the type of player we want and the final process when we have three candidates, he can help choose which one he prefers. Jason will overlook this and it’s a collaborative effort.

“You want to have multiple views on a player to make sure every stone is turned. It’s a big operation, modern football. There is a whole system that operates that.”

Dragan Solak:

“The new manager, the suggestion, the analysis and the reason why will come predominantly from Jason, not from us - because he is the director of football.

“We hope to be consulted and to be involved in decision-making but we truly believe in the people we will give power to run the club and will do everything we can to support them and enable them to do better.

“He [the new manager] is always capable of staking his desires [for transfer targets] but they have to be checked over and there has to be a discussion and a joint decision.

“Nobody is going to just buy players and tell the coach, here is the team! He needs to like the players and know their role in the team.

“We will not send him a bus load of players, it’s not one man’s decision but it is in the domain of Jason, the manager, their team and scouts and us on the transfer committee.”

Henrik Kraft:

“The goal is to win the Championship, the goal is very clear, the goal is to get promoted.

“We are trying to shape the organisation to make sure it is fit for purpose and absolutely achieves that goal. I think we will have a lot more resources in reality than most of our competitors this season so we are in a very good position.”

Id say its hard to find anything to disagree with here but this is Saintsweb so can’t wait to hear the grumbles 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, aintforever said:

7 posts a day is fucking tragic when you account for the time inbetween posts, trawling through pages getting angry over woke stuff or arguing with Sadoldgit about transexuals.

Sad fucker.

that doesn't happen pal, normally it's usually a quick response without needing to trawl through pages getting angry. Unlike yourself who despite only averaging 2.4 posts a day somehow consistently come across as one of the most thick people to ever have an internet connection.

37 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Sad fucker.

Incredible irony when you’re getting angry over a light hearted joke about a video game, really…

• Like 1

Fair play to SR. They seem to have stepped back and re evaluated. 

Time of course will tell, but after being gutted about relegation I’m really beginning to get excited about the coming season. 

Looking forward to a couple of games like West Brom( how dare they stay up all those years ago). Bristol Shity, because both my boys are complete Gasheads. 

Plymouth will be a great day out, S Wed and interesting to see what Leeds and Leicester do. 

Looking forward to being top of the table rather than at the bottom for a change. 

Bring it on, can’t wait now. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dman said:

Incredible irony when you’re getting angry over a light hearted joke about a video game, really…

Like I said despite only posting an average of 2.4 times a day he somehow repeatedly makes himself look like one of the thickest people to have an internet connection, quite an achievement 

38 minutes ago, Dman said:

I’m not angry about anything, just pointing out the irony of a sad fucker like Turkish having a pop at gamers for having no social life.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I’m not angry about anything, just pointing out the irony of a sad fucker like Turkish having a pop at gamers for having no social life.

Sad fucker? I’ve got threads running on the lounge for over 2 1/2 years and 45 pages. I’ve had posts with over 30 laughing emojis reactions. What have you ever done?

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 10

Quickly catching up through the last few pages, I thought Rasmus had admitted he pulled all his scouting from Football Manager. 🙂

The main quote for me was Kraft's “When you look at the infrastructure and the facilities then you can see this is a club that belongs in the Premier League. Our goal is unashamedly to win the Championship. We’re not doing a patch job, we’re doing it in the right way.”

We are a lesson in having good infrastructure and facilities, only to completely undermine them with the decsion making people we have work in them. But they seem willing to learn from errors, and on and off-field personnel are all getting a big turnover, over the summer (already started).

I don't think we "belong" in the Premier League. I think we have to work to earn the right to be there, like everyone else. And treating it like that, is going to get us closer to Kraft's statement. I'd argue about them doing it the right way. But perhaps he means from the end of that disaster onwards.

But they've put up the target. The incoming personnel wil have to be able to achieve it. And these guys will be the ones bringing in those people.

BTW, surely the way to a fulfilling outdoor life and gaming is to play FM Mobile. 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint Gifford said:

Fair play to SR. They seem to have stepped back and re evaluated. 

Time of course will tell, but after being gutted about relegation I’m really beginning to get excited about the coming season. 

Looking forward to a couple of games like West Brom( how dare they stay up all those years ago). Bristol Shity, because both my boys are complete Gasheads. 

Plymouth will be a great day out, S Wed and interesting to see what Leeds and Leicester do. 

Looking forward to being top of the table rather than at the bottom for a change. 

Bring it on, can’t wait now. 

Really?

I think you need to reassess your stimulation levels. You seem overly desperate to be positive. Fair play. Please send me details of your medication. 

Key quotes...

Dragan Solak:

“We also changed the game model [after the January window shut] unfortunately, we did the January window and then changed the manager.

“Suddenly the new manager came in with new ideas and those players were basically brought in like a week ago. Hopefully, we will not have this situation again.”

Rasmus Ankersen:

“January is always very tough, it is tough from a financial perspective. Nobody wants to lose their best players in January, players need to hit the ground running – it’s tough when there is no pre-season, so there is always a risk on recruitment.

“I think a couple of the players like (Charly) Alcaraz and to an extent Sulemana have done well, but there have clearly been some mis-hits where the players haven’t had an impact for one reason or another.

"There will be some turnover because the squad is too big but there are some very talented football players in that group which we will be intending to keep. I think it’s more an exciting job for the manager and director of football, if I was the manager that looked into the dressing room, I wouldn’t be too worried.”

“We are not going to go back in (the Premier League) and compete on money, we will invest, but that is why we are building the club network we are – to try and get the players into our system before they cost £30million. Time will tell whether that will be successful or not but I think there is some good evidence from other clubs that it is possible to do.

“There is also a lot of talent there in our squad that can improve, hopefully we can get a good pre-season, play some exciting football, entertain fans and win football matches.”

Henrik Kraft:

“First of all, what we have said is that we are fully committed to the club and it is a long-term project.

"There are other things that we are building with Sport Republic. This is to be able to create an infrastructure that actually gives us what we want long-term, bringing players through in a different way so we’re not fighting on the last day of the transfer window.

“We believe that over two or three years we will move towards a much more sustainable business model. Obviously, we believe in the investments we have made and continue to make.”
  • Like 3

Jason Wilcox,director of football

Darren Mowbray, chief recruiter.

and porbably Russell Martin.

The Serbian insists: “The new manager, the suggestion, the analysis and the reason why will come predominantly from Jason, not from us - because he is the director of football.

Jason is the man! It is he who dragon and Ank have handed the Saints keys!

Like what he has done at ManC, had 10 years there to develope their youth and done very well, he has worked with the best manager and players at ManC. 

It will be his vision that will dictate our future, did he choose the next manager? Our head recruiter? These 3 will be the deciders of our fate. 

• Like 3

I always get the feeling from when Kraft talks he says the same thing over and over again just in different ways.

Dragon seem authentic and I like him.

And Rasmus is Rasmus.

Read a good article in the athletic this morning on feyenoords slot who had this quote which got me worried given all the above and Russell Process Martin.

"Slot had a clear tactical vision but even he acknowledges that “if a coach only talks about the process, then nine out of 10 times, the results are bad"

• Like 2

So their amazing talent spotting secret is go hire the bloke from the most successful current team and get him to decide how to do stuff. It is not exactly mold breaking, but is often quite a good approach. Sounds like they realized for all their supposed genius it probably better to just let someone who knows what they are doing call the shots.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CSA96 said:
Dragan Solak:

“We also changed the game model [after the January window shut] unfortunately, we did the January window and then changed the manager.

“Suddenly the new manager came in with new ideas and those players were basically brought in like a week ago. Hopefully, we will not have this situation again.”

This is what we need to avoid, its an absolutely dreadful situation which just wastes resources

Fans always harp on about how the manager should be picking the players, but ultimately the most important figure at any modern facing club should be the DoF who rightly or wrongly should be ensuring players, staff, manager etc are all pulling towards the same tactics/goal and so IF you end up sacking a manager, the players in the building should be able to be utilised by the next one

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

So their amazing talent spotting secret is go hire the bloke from the most successful current team and get him to decide how to do stuff. It is not exactly mold breaking, but is often quite a good approach. Sounds like they realized for all their supposed genius it probably better to just let someone who knows what they are doing call the shots.

Makes sense, as a very successful business man once said “It doesn’t make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.”

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

This is what we need to avoid, its an absolutely dreadful situation which just wastes resources

Fans always harp on about how the manager should be picking the players, but ultimately the most important figure at any modern facing club should be the DoF who rightly or wrongly should be ensuring players, staff, manager etc are all pulling towards the same tactics/goal and so IF you end up sacking a manager, the players in the building should be able to be utilised by the next one

It's weird that so many clubs in this country seem to have (or have had, they're getting a bit better with this) a Director of Football who answers directly to the manager/head coach, rather than the other way around. The clue is in the job title, DIRECTOR, which means they're at board level, where all the footballing staff, including the first team manager/head coach, report into the Director of Football.

As you rightly say, the DoF should ideally be the most powerful individual on the footballing side of the business. However, there should really be a blend of collaboration and delegation - dedicated recruitment staff, for example, but broad agreement among the DoF, head coach, scouts, etc, as to what skillsets and compatibility with playing styles they're looking for. It's a tough balance, but you can't really have a manager who gets everything he/she wants even if it deviates from the agreed systems/styles because if/when that manager leaves, some of those players are redundant; similarly, you can't have recruitment staff just going off and signing players without some sort of agreement with the coaching staff, because that's a waste of time and money, and erodes trust in the group.

With Jason Wilcox coming in as DoF, he's the guy who has to be the "face" of this new setup, we have to assume that he has had an input into the recent hires and the near-completed hire of Russell Martin. Wilcox takes the responsibility to put all of this together, and he needs to ensure that everyone is on the same page from the word go. 

• Like 3

Looked up Gozpte’s progress earlier. This is their play off match.

874264A8-B32B-4346-A517-B89B4B0BFD37.thumb.jpeg.446e6a249271a96ebb690660b7adc183.jpeg

Possibly coincidence or a one off, but from this it appears they might like playing a possession game.

And they lost.

The Rasmusblueprint# ? 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Badger said:

874264A8-B32B-4346-A517-B89B4B0BFD37.thumb.jpeg.446e6a249271a96ebb690660b7adc183.jpeg

Possibly coincidence or a one off, but from this it appears they might like playing a possession game.

And they lost.

The Rasmusblueprint# ? 

Just the second game since January they lost, in fairness.

image.png.efa7212a46b552d98d9c967c7c37015b.png

image.png.feca6886d918254b24ff890e408bb781.png

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, stevegrant said:

It's weird that so many clubs in this country seem to have (or have had, they're getting a bit better with this) a Director of Football who answers directly to the manager/head coach, rather than the other way around. The clue is in the job title, DIRECTOR, which means they're at board level, where all the footballing staff, including the first team manager/head coach, report into the Director of Football.

As you rightly say, the DoF should ideally be the most powerful individual on the footballing side of the business. However, there should really be a blend of collaboration and delegation - dedicated recruitment staff, for example, but broad agreement among the DoF, head coach, scouts, etc, as to what skillsets and compatibility with playing styles they're looking for. It's a tough balance, but you can't really have a manager who gets everything he/she wants even if it deviates from the agreed systems/styles because if/when that manager leaves, some of those players are redundant; similarly, you can't have recruitment staff just going off and signing players without some sort of agreement with the coaching staff, because that's a waste of time and money, and erodes trust in the group.

With Jason Wilcox coming in as DoF, he's the guy who has to be the "face" of this new setup, we have to assume that he has had an input into the recent hires and the near-completed hire of Russell Martin. Wilcox takes the responsibility to put all of this together, and he needs to ensure that everyone is on the same page from the word go. 

Exactly this, of course, this is why the DoF hire has to be correct, but in a sense its just like hiring a good CEO in a commercial business, they are the head that will steer the ship

Time will tell whether Wilcox is a good hire, but hopefully it avoids flipping from 3 managers that had vastly different tactical approaches, and in the January example panic buy players that don’t fit after a week… thats a crazy situation that has to be avoided

SR have nowhere to hide now, we have a DoF (that we assume is competent) and are shaping the rest of the backroom in their image, that can only be seen as a good thing

• Like 2

20 hours ago, edprice1984 said:

Could be worse - see Leeds United owner using Elland Road as security allowing him to buy Sampdoria!

I'd love SR to buy Sampdoria. There's already the Saints connection through Gaston/Maya/Gabbiadini having played for them in recent years. If the three teams could get back to being mid-table top flight sides, It'd be a nice intermediate step between Goztepe and Saints.

I do have a Sampdoria shirt in my wardrobe, but that's besides the point.

12 hours ago, Badger said:

And they lost.

The Rasmusblueprint# ? 

Goztepe averaged 47% possession across the season. In the 1-1 draw the week before the playoff game, against the same opposition, they had 46%.

Sport Republic now completing the purchase of Valenciennes: 

Sport Republic, owner of Southampton, now finalize the acquisition of Valenciennes after months and months of negotiation. One of the conditions was maintaining in Ligue 2.

4 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Sport Republic, owner of Southampton, now finalize the acquisition of Valenciennes after months and months of negotiation. One of the conditions was maintaining in Ligue 2.

Poor man's Valencia 

6 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Shouldn’t they focus on what they call their “model” club and fixing that shitshow before trying to ruin another?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1