Caleb Watts

Master Bates

He was the most outstanding of the youngsters but I did not think that any of them let themselves down. Yes, there were times when they needed to be stronger on the ball but that will come with experience at that level. I was quite encouraged by the talent coming through

Maybe it's me but i wasn't that impressed with him in either game. Yes i know he's only a kid and sure he has a lot of potential but for me the one player from the kids who has stood out has been Jankewitz, who in the 12 minutes or so against Shrewsbury had a lot more about him than any of the others. The others all looked much of a muchness, not bad but not great either. 

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

100% - he just had a level of confidence and composure that the others didn't, along with the first touch and close control to back it up.

Completely. Just had that air about him, all the things you say. I’m not really sure why we haven’t seen more of him. 

I've not seen much in Watts. That little trick he did to earn the free kick last night didn't go right and he got lucky. There was lots of running from him, but he didn't seem to be finding space. 

Jankewitz has something about him. I watched his first u23 game and posted at the time that he looked decent. He offered up for the ball, turned nicely, used the ball well, had a little turn of pace, looked strong and just looked like a good footballer. I'm not sure where he's been since, but hopefully he'll get more opportunities. 

The one youngster we've not seen who has impressed me when I've seen him is Will Ferry. Has a little something but they've dabbled with him out of position at full back and he seems to have fallen behind Watts in the wingers/10's pecking order. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to see that a young Aussie is getting a go in the Premier League, despite all of your injuries at this point I'm also not surprised to see that at least some of you don't really rate him. The bits of coverage I saw of him weren't particularly convincing.

Hopefully Caleb takes advantage of Southampton's training facilities the best he can to improve as much as he can while he's at the club. No chance he'll get the same opportunity to learn if he ends his stay over in the UK / Europe and heads home as many young Aussies do. We just don't have the training facilities or quality of youth academies to provide players ready for the Premier League. The Australian Institute of Sport certainly doesn't seem to be what it used to be, either. Half of Australia's 2006 World Cup squad went through the AIS and oversaw a very successful period for many sports here. I'm pretty sure our Government has cut a lot of funding for it, so performances in most of our sports are dropping.

4 hours ago, aussie_observer said:

It's good to see that a young Aussie is getting a go in the Premier League, despite all of your injuries at this point I'm also not surprised to see that at least some of you don't really rate him. The bits of coverage I saw of him weren't particularly convincing.

Haven't actually worked how he is an Aussie. Born in London. Did he grow up out there or something? 

7 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Haven't actually worked how he is an Aussie. Born in London. Did he grow up out there or something? 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/he-s-a-wonderful-talent-aussie-teen-praised-after-impressive-saints-debut

Eligible to represent both England and Australia at a senior level, Watts also proved himself a strong presence in the locker room during his time with the Joeys.

“He’s a good kid, he’s got a bit of a dry sense of humour,” Morgan said. “He’s got great relationships with the other players - he was very popular from the minute he came in.

“He’s really keen to play for Australia, he’s very proud to have played for Australia even though he’s grown up in England. His father’s an Australian born and bred, he’s a doctor that works in London.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, SFC Forever said:

this conversation has reached electrifying heights

I think they are trying to generate some interest, he could turn out to be a midfield dynamo. Or he could be the polar opposite, anyway, enough from me, I don’t want to get accused of causing static

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So after signing an extension when do you think we might see him?..................if at all?.....could play in the 10 roll  in a diamond if Ralph decides to switch things around if ever,or we wait for the next manager to take the plunge,after all it must be frustrating for the lad to see the likes of Walcott, Moi, Redders ,getting ahead of him all the time with no likelihood of ever breaking into the current formation it seems. We need some craft and guile to unlock things and i think this lad could be the answer. We shouldnt just be 4-2-2-2 setup.

• 3 months later...