Saints at Euro 2020

Saint_lambden

18 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Think JWP has won every duel so far, and hasn’t misplaced a pass. If this game is influencing anything, it should be him. 

Yep.  A good workhorse and decent set pieces.  If they want a defensive midfielder then why not?  If...

But I haven't seen him marching around the pitch dishing out full throated bollockings to his team mates.

I'm led to believe that is by far the most important attribute for a professional footballer.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Prowse seems to be our designated set piece taker.

Yet he's not in the squad.

Wouldn't it make sense to have the set piece taker someone who's actually in the squad?

It just smacks of Southgate not having the balls to leave certain players out.

Just now, JustinSFC said:

Prowse seems to be our designated set piece taker.

Yet he's not in the squad.

Wouldn't it make sense to have the set piece taker someone who's actually in the squad?

It just smacks of Southgate not having the balls to leave certain players out.

Alexander-Arnold's replacement hasn't been named yet. Southgate might view Ward-Prowse as the replacement, so makes sense to play him and use him for set pieces today.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Alexander-Arnold's replacement hasn't been named yet. Southgate might view Ward-Prowse as the replacement, so makes sense to play him and use him for set pieces today.

I'm hoping that is correct.

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

But I haven't seen him marching around the pitch dishing out full throated bollockings to his team mates.

I'm led to believe that is by far the most important attribute for a professional footballer.

Yes, if he’d only yelled out “do ‘I’m” a couple of times he’d have been picked.

• Like 1

Henderson, what an absolute prick.

I'm captain so having it, Billy big bollocks 

He really isn't anything special, if he played for Burnley or Brighton etc , he would be nowhere near the team.

Edited by Chapel End
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Henderson, what an absolute prick.

I'm captain so having it, Billy big bollocks 

He really isn't anything special, if he played for Burnley or Brighton etc , he would be nowhere near the team.

Totally agree.

He’s just an average premiership player that wouldn’t get noticed at an average club. It’s the player’s around him that make him look better than he is.

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We’ve gone 1 up and also missed a penalty. 

How do you know we wouldn't have done better than that if JWP had stayed on, oh wise one? #mysticmeg #nonsequitur

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Facts don’t have an agenda. We take the bloke off that was “ knitting it all together” and then go on to win the game. 

I'll bite and ask again... How do you know what the outcome would have been if JWP had stayed on? #nonsequitur

Edited by trousers

Thought Prowsey had an excellent game, and very pleased to see the pundits and commentators talking him up too. Southgate is nothing if not a crowd pleaser so fully expecting him in the squad now after that, only to never step foot on the pitch.

Clearly the best midfielder today, even if he wasn't on set pieces. Phillips was average and I thought his positional discipline was lacking, Henderson did nothing apart from "look at me miss a penalty", Bellingham was alright and I didn't even notice Rice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Facts don’t have an agenda. We take the bloke off that was “ knitting it all together” and then go on to win the game. 

Us winning the game had fuck all to do with Prowse going off.

The goal came within about a minute of his departure when Grealish went down.

It's not as if it was some master gameplay.

37 minutes ago, nta786 said:

This is part of the bollocks why Jordan is in the team for...

EDIT: Cue Lord D say "JWP never does any of the above and it's why we are mentally fragile"

Hard to believe that's real, actually embarrassing they posted that. Balls in the air and he screams at a player to head it, wow what a legend 😂

• Like 1

I thought Prowsey was one of the best players on the pitch, won the ball back more than any other player, some quality diagonal passes out wide and on another day he would have had at least two assists :) Surely Southgate has to pick him now.

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 2

Don't think he could've done much more, other than score one of his trademark free-kicks. Pressed & tackled well, kept the play moving in possession and demonstrated his set piece abilities when required. If Southgate picks someone else, it's because he's clueless not because Prowsey hasn't been good enough.

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

Prowse is really getting serious media support all over Sky & BBC.

I think Southgate has really got no choice but to name him.

I suspect he'll get stick if he didn't.

I'm not just saying that because it's one of our players but he's being talked up all over the place and on social by fans of other clubs.

Edited by JustinSFC

2 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Prowse is really getting serious media support all over Sky & BBC.

I think Southgate has really got no choice but to name him.

I suspect he'll get stick if he didn't.

I'm not just saying that because it's one of our players but he's being talked up all over the place and on social by fans of other clubs.

He was pure class, it seems like it’s only some of his own fan base take him for granted. I really hope we don’t lose him in the summer but I think we might. 

I’m not sure GS will be watching too much Twitter and Facebook posts about who to select. 

if JWP played for Burnley, people who support saints wouldn’t be gushing over him and wanting him to play for England.  I think he is ok for a mid table club, but not one that will be pushing much higher, and if we got a £40+ offer I think we will take it.

I think the England squad is unbalanced currently, we do need another CM I think, and I wouldn’t take Lindgard as he is more attacking MF. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes Godfrey who can cover CB and RB and we have an issue with Maguire not being fit. 

37 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I thought Prowsey was one of the best players on the pitch, won the ball back more than any other player, some quality diagonal passes out wide and on another day he would have had at least two assists :) Surely Southgate has to pick him now.

Agree, he was excellent today, miles better than that injured Henderson who clearly isn't fit and was so desperate to see his name on the score sheet pulled rank and took a pen (badly) 

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I’m not sure GS will be watching too much Twitter and Facebook posts about who to select. 

if JWP played for Burnley, people who support saints wouldn’t be gushing over him and wanting him to play for England.  I think he is ok for a mid table club, but not one that will be pushing much higher, and if we got a £40+ offer I think we will take it.

I think the England squad is unbalanced currently, we do need another CM I think, and I wouldn’t take Lindgard as he is more attacking MF. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes Godfrey who can cover CB and RB and we have an issue with Maguire not being fit. 

Have to say I disagree. By people do you mean swf posters?,Because the commentators were very complimentary, also apparently as are the wider England football fraternity according to others on here that keep an eye on that sort of thing 

6 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

If JWP played for Burnley, Turkish - for one - would be fawning all over him. Because Burnley would then have at least 7 players who could improve the Saints starting XI 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

Just now, Toussaint said:

Have to say I disagree. By people do you mean swf posters?,Because the commentators were very complimentary, also apparently as are the wider England football fraternity according to others on here that keep an eye on that sort of thing 

Happy to disagree 👍

Not just SWF posters, the media need a live in for this match as it was pretty dull and meaningless, and they try to make it sound more interesting than it was. 

I don’t mind JWP, but wouldn’t be upset if he went. I think he has struggled since Romeu got injured, and I find he can slow play down a bit and play too safe, when I urge him to take a few more risks with his range of passing. 

If we take him to the tournament then great, he gets more experience and is useful for set pieces, but it’s more an indictment of our quality in MF than anything else, and if he was that good for all the people crowing in the media, perhaps he would have made the original 26 man squad. 

Personally I would probably take him to the Euros, and that is because we need another Central MF imo, but I also think it shouldn’t be decided as he had a good game today, which he did, but over a longer period.