Saints at Euro 2020

Saint_lambden

Hope for JWP’s personal sake he makes the squad, think he deserves it. Selfishly, hope he doesn’t get picked and gets a well deserved break.

Seriously though, suspect an exit as soon as we come up against someone half decent - especially if Maguire is out. Is there no-one better at Cb than Mings or Coady? Godfrey didn’t impress me, Ben White looks decent but not in the squad. Tomori? Tarkowski? Surely got to be better than Mings?

34 minutes ago, JRM said:

Agree, he was excellent today, miles better than that injured Henderson who clearly isn't fit and was so desperate to see his name on the score sheet pulled rank and took a pen (badly) 

It was a bit of a non penalty takers penalty in that he hit low to the side that's easiest for a right footer, but it wasn't that bad. The keeper probably guessed he would aim there though and showed good technique to make enough ground to pull off a decent save.

18 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Hope for JWP’s personal sake he makes the squad, think he deserves it. Selfishly, hope he doesn’t get picked and gets a well deserved break.

Seriously though, suspect an exit as soon as we come up against someone half decent - especially if Maguire is out. Is there no-one better at Cb than Mings or Coady? Godfrey didn’t impress me, Ben White looks decent but not in the squad. Tomori? Tarkowski? Surely got to be better than Mings?

I'm of your feeling as well - from a selfish pov I hope he gets the break over the summer to recharge.

Although he is a bit cyborg with his fitness.

Edited by S-Clarke

53 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

If he picks him it will upset         duc kunter and GS won't want to feel that wrath 

How old are you? 

I’m disappointed that Alexander-Arnold isn’t going and therefore the squad will be weaker, but why would I be “upset”. I hope he does well, as I did when Carlton Palmer & Andy Sinton used to get picked for England. 

I think JWP is a machine and probably doesn't need a rest in all honesty.

It's not like we are a top 6 club or a team regularly in Europe and it's not like we had a European campaign last season.

I hope he does get in, will do his mental frame of mind wonders and would be further testament to the idea that you can get into tournament squads even playing for little ol' Southampton. 

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I’m not sure GS will be watching too much Twitter and Facebook posts about who to select. 

if JWP played for Burnley, people who support saints wouldn’t be gushing over him and wanting him to play for England.  I think he is ok for a mid table club, but not one that will be pushing much higher, and if we got a £40+ offer I think we will take it.

I think the England squad is unbalanced currently, we do need another CM I think, and I wouldn’t take Lindgard as he is more attacking MF. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes Godfrey who can cover CB and RB and we have an issue with Maguire not being fit. 

Godfrey was poor in both games I thought (albeit first game was short). White looked a much more comfortable player, and would prefer him to get the nod if it’s between both. Mings is shit, so could see Southgate opting for one of those two to be the 26th man. 

2 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

When does the announcement for the 26th slot get made? Tonight?

Southgate said in his interview after the game that they wanted to assess for any injuries and they’d make the decision in the next 24 hours. One would think they’ll do fitness assessments tomorrow morning and hopefully announce after that.

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Southgate said in his interview after the game that they wanted to assess for any injuries and they’d make the decision in the next 24 hours. One would think they’ll do fitness assessments tomorrow morning and hopefully announce after that.

Originally he was set to announce the TAA replacement tonight, talk about dragging it out.

I do wonder if there will be more than just one change to the squad given the injury assessment comment.

Just now, beatlesaint said:

Originally he was set to announce the TAA replacement tonight, talk about dragging it out.

I do wonder if there will be more than just one change to the squad given the injury assessment comment.

Yeah that’s what I thought, it would announce after the game. Southgates comments suggested only one player being announced though, he didn’t want to give away position as that would give away the player.

JWP has done enough to get in imo but I still wouldn’t be surprised if he missed out and it went to White or Godfrey.

6 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Godfrey was poor in both games I thought (albeit first game was short). White looked a much more comfortable player, and would prefer him to get the nod if it’s between both. Mings is shit, so could see Southgate opting for one of those two to be the 26th man. 

Yeah I actually prefer White just had a feeling he may go with Godfrey, only reason is Everton finished higher than Brighton, and whilst GS used to pick players on form and regardless of club I think he has reverted into the usually mould for England managers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

Laughable if true

Understandable given how weak we are at CB and the fact he can play RB and CM too.

Would personally start White over Mings or Coady.

JWP very unlucky in the end, but he would have been 5th choice CM so his set plays wouldn't be overly useful in that context.

Three ex Academy players in the squad, with only one making it pro at Saints - interesting!

Edited by Dusic

Pretty much every response is that JWP "woz robbed" so clearly the sentiment is there.  I do understand taking White as we're pretty light at CB in general, guess the question is whether JWP should have been selected over one of the other midfielders in the first place.

Just now, Nolan said:

Smells like 2014 when Lallanas head was turned. Trying to do the same thing with Ward Prowse.

Except that Ben White has been selected ahead of him. I've gut mixed feelings. JWP clearly a better choice but gives Prowsy a rest.

Losing the 4th right back and replacing him with a CB just shows how badly the squad was picked in the first place. Maguire clearly isn’t going to be fit for the first game, leaving us with Stones, Mings and Coady as proper CB’s. Mings is terrible, so White is definitely needed. Thank god our 4th choice RB got injured, really. 

What's the UEFA deadline for any changes to squads? In other words, is there still time left for further changes if someone else was to be crocked before the tournament starts? 

Edited by trousers

9 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Yeah that’s what I thought, it would announce after the game. Southgates comments suggested only one player being announced though, he didn’t want to give away position as that would give away the player.

JWP has done enough to get in imo but I still wouldn’t be surprised if he missed out and it went to White or Godfrey.

Sadly predictable.

But in the general swing of things, JWP was never likely to get much/any game time anyway, particularly with Billy Big Spuds Henderson back available.  White is the right choice, but Southgate has made a bit of a cobblers of the whole thing.

I think mings efforts in the friendlys possibly sealed his and JWPs fate unfortunately. Obviously he should be going, in a tournament you want options like him but sadly it’s come down to would you rather have JWP as a back up CM or Tyrone Mings at the heart of your defence and there’s probably only one answer there 

1 minute ago, trousers said:

What's the UEFA deadline for any changes to squads? In other words, is there still time left for further changes if someone else was to be crocked before the tournament starts? 

I think so up until tournament start but only for "new" injuries.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Yep, that's the one. Maguire needs to tweak something in training or whatever to be binned off, otherwise we go in with a squad a man light. Crazy. 

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I guess now that Henderson has played c.30 mins, any relapse he has injury wise could be classed as "new"...? (i.e. the act of making an appearance wipes the injury slate clean?) #thinkingoutloud 

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

Lol @ ben white.

Gives Prowse set piece role and designated penalty taker then picks Ben White.

Fucking prick.

If this was American football where you can bring a kicker on I'd see your point, but JWP was never going to start so those set pieces would never have got used. 

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Who is trying to do what?

You have a 26 man Squad and they only take 5 Midfielders. I would anticipate people trying to coerce a move out of him telling him that's his way into the England Set-up.

They got to Lallana before the trip to 2014's World cup, but its not hard to believe that there would be people that dont have Southampton FC's interests in mind.

You cant say that JWP's performances and abilities dont justify his selection. 

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

Even if he could bring in another player in that scenario, if I was Prowse after that yesterday, I'd tell him to fuck off like Vardy did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nolan said:

You have a 26 man Squad and they only take 5 Midfielders. I would anticipate people trying to coerce a move out of him telling him that's his way into the England Set-up.

They got to Lallana before the trip to 2014's World cup, but its not hard to believe that there would be people that dont have Southampton FC's interests in mind.

Jeez. You're honestly saying JWP wasn't picked so "they" get to see him move clubs? 

4 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Honestly no idea what you're on about. I should repeat my original question: Who is trying to do what?

Lallana went to the 2014 World Cup.

I suspect you would be paranoid about JWP "getting his head turned" in every single scenario.

Edited by CB Fry

On 04/06/2021 at 16:34, nta786 said:

tbf with this setback I feel the line between logic and opinion is somewhat blurred.

TAA is injured so, and assuming we can only select from the 6 on standby then:

a) Do we replace somewhat like for like with a right back? Or another defender? In which case, only Ben White or Godfrey would predominantly work (MLG - doesn't matter that JWP has played right back before already)

b) Gareth said something along the lines of selecting the 26 best footballers right? In which case the next best option is Lingard or JWP - who is better is very much subject to debate as ultimately both play different roles (my opinion is JWP is the better player over last 18 months, but Lingard had a far better 2021 so can see why neutrals would vouch for him - recency bias will kick in)

c) Or does Gareth use this time to rebalance the squad? We are light on strikers as we only have 2 recognised strikers - in which case in comes Watkins. Our defensive/centre-mid options are short too with just Rice and both Henderson and Philips who have recently come back from injuries - in which case enter JWP.

I think too many variables at hand so I can understand all sides of the debate, but I think we can rule out going down route A.

How wrong was I then to rule out option A!!!

2 minutes ago, egg said:

If this was American football where you can bring a kicker on I'd see your point, but JWP was never going to start so those set pieces would never have got used. 

True enough, but with 20 minutes to go and England needing a goal, who would be more likely to influence the score, JWP or Henderson (assuming he doesn't start)? 

Just now, nta786 said:

How wrong was I then to rule out option A!!!

I thought the same. I was convinced it'd be Lingard or Watkins. I suspect this as much about Maguire cover/replacement as it is a TAA replacement. 

Just now, Donatello said:

True enough, but with 20 minutes to go and England needing a goal, who would be more likely to influence the score, JWP or Henderson (assuming he doesn't start)? 

Exactly my thoughts.

1-0 down, quarter final.

Need a goal. 

Bring Prowse on, get Grealish to start going down with a free kick on the edge of the box...

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Honestly no idea what you're on about. I should repeat my original question: Who is trying to do what?

Lallana went to the 2014 World Cup.

I suspect you would be paranoid about JWP "getting his head turned" in every single scenario.

No, had he been picked, there's proof that playing well enough gets you to the England Squad.

1 minute ago, Donatello said:

Neither. I'd have preferred Lingard or Watkins who'd have more chances of influencing the score. 

3 minutes ago, Donatello said:

Why would that be the choice?

What planet are you nutcases living on. JWP even if he went would barely have played a minute, just like Ben White really.

If we need a goal, we'll bring on an attacker from the bench - the experienced Raheem Sterling, say.

Roy Keane was spot on about Henderson, and why would you have him around the camp if he's crocked - for card tricks? Especially given the lack of midfielders in the squad. JWP should be in instead of him anyway.....i got the "let's take Rooney" when he'd done his foot because he was potentially a match winner and a real prospect. Henderson is neither, so why take an injured player in an area where there are other decent, fit options available? Crazy. And yes, i do have SFC tinted spec's but it seems the impartial football population wanted JWP taken too. And let's face it, he'd have wanted to go even if not likely to play at all so i'm sure he'll be pretty gutted.

Ben White it is then, absolute error from Southgate after last night especially. Every time England get a free kick or corner, large parts of the fanbase will be calling for JWP - and when England eventually get knocked out after a lacklustre performance vs a better side, Southgate will have absolutely nowhere to hide from his selection cock ups.

There is a silver lining in all this. JWP gets a rest and hopefully he doesn't feel he needs to leave to get international recognition. And hopefully England do absolutely awful, because there is no way Southgate can be the man to take us into 2022.

5 minutes ago, Donatello said:

I think in that scenario, Southgate will probably bypass both of them if we are needing a goal to be honest, or if he really is a wuss, then he’ll substitute on Henderson because he is a yes man. (My point is it deffo won’t be JWP!)

If we need a goal, then Gareth will look towards the following first assuming they are on the bench:

Foden, Sterling, Rashford, Mount, Sancho, DCL, Grealish, Saka, Mount (and even perhaps Bellingham)

I just don’t see JWP in that pecking order anywhere and it’s made up in Gareth’s mind that he won’t be starting for England.

7 minutes ago, Nolan said:

No, had he been picked, there's proof that playing well enough gets you to the England Squad.

So you're saying a conspiracy against Southampton to get our players transferred out is the reason JWP didn't get selected in the squad? Who's in on this?

You said it "smelled" like the Lallana situation but Lallana did get picked.

So I'll stick with my original view. If JWP was in the squad you'd be paranoid that the other players would "turn his head".

6 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Roy Keane was spot on about Henderson, and why would you have him around the camp if he's crocked - for card tricks? Especially given the lack of midfielders in the squad. JWP should be in instead of him anyway.....i got the "let's take Rooney" when he'd done his foot because he was potentially a match winner and a real prospect. Henderson is neither, so why take an injured player in an area where there are other decent, fit options available? Crazy. And yes, i do have SFC tinted spec's but it seems the impartial football population wanted JWP taken too. And let's face it, he'd have wanted to go even if not likely to play at all so i'm sure he'll be pretty gutted.

Henderson has already embarrassed himself with his antics last night and his arrogant interview afterwards. Can imagine there are a lot players in the squad who are wondering why he's there. DCL for one must think he's a right pillock.