Pre Season 2021-22

kjurwi

Good performance considering it's a friendly and lots of changes etc. Ings is clearly unfit or not risking getting injured before his move or has the move on his mind - very poor again. I would sell him and Vest assuming anyone actually bids for them.

I was dreading the coming season but maybe we might be just about ok?

2 hours ago, Red said:

Good performance considering it's a friendly and lots of changes etc. Ings is clearly unfit or not risking getting injured before his move or has the move on his mind - very poor again. I would sell him and Vest assuming anyone actually bids for them.

I was dreading the coming season but maybe we might be just about ok?

The usual drivel on here whenever players who are linked with a move away. Can Ings not have an off day without claims that hes not trying?

• Like 1

Not sure what Ralph was trying to achieve today. Starting XI today will never be our starting XI in the PL. A game of two halves, the second being  a snore-fest. What did we learn from this shambles? Not a lot!

Tella is a future star;  Ings just isn't at the races for whatever reason;  we need Vestegaard back;  Perraud has a lot ofwork to do to replace Bertrand adequately. 

Let's hope the games next week are more meaningful for the season ahead.

Still, Swansea need my £5 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Not sure what Ralph was trying to achieve today. Starting XI today will never be our starting XI in the PL. A game of two halves, the second being  a snore-fest. What did we learn from this shambles? Not a lot!

Tella is a future star;  Ings just isn't at the races for whatever reason;  we need Vestegaard back;  Perraud has a lot ofwork to do to replace Bertrand adequately. 

For fuck's sake, it's a pre-season friendly. These games are just about fitness and maybe trying a few things out that you couldn't do in a Premier League game. Not sure how you got to that assessment of Perraud after he's played what probably equates to one whole game in minutes. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Not sure what Ralph was trying to achieve today. Starting XI today will never be our starting XI in the PL.

This really is a puzzling post by you. How many years have you been a football fan and not realised that friendlies 2 weeks from the first league game won't have the first choice starting XI playing? That is the same for Saints as it is other clubs. These games are for fitness and tactics for the entire squad. The games next week, particularly the one on the 7th will be closer to the first choice line up. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 8

47 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Only seen the highlights of the two games against Cardiff and Swansea but it seems to me there is a concerted effort to cut down on the tedious possession football and get the ball forward at pace. Long may it continue as it is quite refreshing. Obviously it will be harder against better quality opponents but I applaud the change of tactics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

For fuck's sake, it's a pre-season friendly. These games are just about fitness and maybe trying a few things out that you couldn't do in a Premier League game. Not sure how you got to that assessment of Perraud after he's played what probably equates to one whole game in minutes. 

Its the SWF way. Write the teams chances off before the season has even started 🤪

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gammon cheeks said:

Are we still going to be a easy side to beat ?   That is what im looking for him to change from last season. We play lovely football at times but are we still going to be brittle and cave in easily that is my concern .

I think we will be. We've got defenders who concede goals for fun. 

Let's see how we look against the Spaniards. That's the real test. Still encouraging to know we can swat away Championship opposition. Think we'll be fine this season (depending on whether we add a couple of players...), and improve on where we finished. Top half would be nice, but let's not get carried away.

Looks like the forwards and midfielders are playing well and with confidence but, as others have said, defence and GK is still a concern, plus the drop off to mid-table Champ is quite high so can't read too much into this.

We've got tricky fixtures at the start of the season and we still definitely need to add strength at the back.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

For **** sake, it's a pre-season friendly. These games are just about fitness and maybe trying a few things out that you couldn't do in a Premier League game. Not sure how you got to that assessment of Perraud after he's played what probably equates to one whole game in minutes. 

If you think that's all there is to it then we really are in trouble. We have two weeks left to determine who plays and who does not, to work out our best team and get them playing together and working on partnerships and tactics.

The days of turning up on the day and making it up as you go along are way past or hadn't you noticed?

and to MLG

Of course I realise that. See my post above where I see you do agree on time running short.

To Other Critics

I paid £8 to watch both matches rather than scrounge them for free through illegal links to dodgy websites and watched every single minute of both games. My comments were based on what I saw, not on wishful thinking and a quick watch of highly selective highlights.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

If you think that's all there is to it then we really are in trouble. We have two weeks left to determine who plays and who does not, to work out our best team and get them playing together and working on partnerships and tactics.

The days of turning up on the day and making it up as you go along are way past or hadn't you noticed?

Those kind of things aren't worked out in a couple of July pre-season games against Championship opposition.

That's not how it works, or hadn't you noticed?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

and to MLG

Of course I realise that. See my post above where I see you do agree on time running short.

To Other Critics

I paid £8 to watch both matches rather than scrounge them for free through illegal links to dodgy websites and watched every single minute of both games. My comments were based on what I saw, not on wishful thinking and a quick watch of highly selective highlights.

Partnerships? These players have been playing together more or less since Ralph came in. Ings and Adams have a effective partnership, likewise JWP and Romeou. Jan and Vest had pretty much spent most of the season as a pair too. The players and Ralph will all know each other's game. Ralph will know his best time, I mean we all know our best team, the starting eleven virtually picks itself. The only real area you could say where that's different is the shitshow the keepers have become. 

It's interesting looking at Swansea, I imagine they're what we would be had Gabbiadini not scored. They get no investment, Steve Cooper has left via mutual consent after leading them to a fourth placed finish and a play-off final alongside their key player in Andre Ayew, who left on a free, as they couldn't afford his wages. They've made a few big sales since going down in Alfie Mawson, Dan James, Oli McBurnie and Joe Rodon, yet they haven't spent over £1m on a transfer since 2018, largely depending on loans like Rhian Brewster, Freddie Woodman, Marc Guehi and Conor Gallagher, who have all just been short term fixes.

Thank God for Gabbiadini.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It's really common to play half your first 11 and half your depth players and then swap to the other halves. It gets everyone fit and gives players a chance to gel with people they wouldn't otherwise gel with in a competitive environment, it also gives everyone the chance to impress. Here are the lineups from friendlies for other prem sides:

t68hj245rje71.jpg?width=576&auto=webp&s=5011235f92862adfb51a0745522958da78bdee71

Leicester

pt1xik3sxje71.png?width=768&auto=webp&s=84966348b522a7ff5f15bf70ee189d6c2620acc5

Brighton (strongish but no Dunk, Webster, Welbeck) very much a depth option CB pairing.

71yl8ob92ke71.png?width=787&auto=webp&s=2defdfd6780b693212cdd0cac840d22e6908bd6e

Palace (a lot of players I don't expect to start but maybe new signings aren't ready yet, no Benteke, Milo, or Gallagher starting though)

y5ugva7hzje71.png?width=649&auto=webp&s=134a149a20a4a199f296e3fde1f57c6d90a8a94e

Brentford

Edited by TWar

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

to MLG

I don't think you do get it at all. It isn't only Saints that does it, every team does! Clubs across the board only put out their strongest teams for the final one or two friendlies. Which Saints have not played yet!

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

The usual drivel on here whenever players who are linked with a move away. Can Ings not have an off day without claims that hes not trying?

If you think Ings has been performing well over the latter part of last season and in pre season so far fair enough - I don't.

This is a forum - all about opinions. I did say fitness might be an issue. I would love to have a fit, on form, firing and committed Ings but he isn't that at the moment, and if you analyse his entire time with us, he has been great maybe 25 to 30% of it. All I am saying is that if he does not want (his choice) to sign a new contract, then maybe best all round he leaves for a reasonable fee and we move on. Don't forget Ralph did not start him (in favour of Adams) for the first 10 odd games last season. On his day he's brilliant but we need that  on a more consistent basis 

11 hours ago, benjii said:

Looks like the forwards and midfielders are playing well and with confidence but, as others have said, defence and GK is still a concern, plus the drop off to mid-table Champ is quite high so can't read too much into this.

We've got tricky fixtures at the start of the season and we still definitely need to add strength at the back.

Is this based on the two friendlies against Cardiff and Swansea? (The subject of this thread). The only goal conceded was a rash own goal! I have said above how little importance I attach to the results of pre-season friendlies, but I fail to see how the defence is 'still a concern' after these two matches.

3 hours ago, Red said:

If you think Ings has been performing well over the latter part of last season and in pre season so far fair enough - I don't.

This is a forum - all about opinions. I did say fitness might be an issue. I would love to have a fit, on form, firing and committed Ings but he isn't that at the moment, and if you analyse his entire time with us, he has been great maybe 25 to 30% of it. All I am saying is that if he does not want (his choice) to sign a new contract, then maybe best all round he leaves for a reasonable fee and we move on. Don't forget Ralph did not start him (in favour of Adams) for the first 10 odd games last season. On his day he's brilliant but we need that  on a more consistent basis 

But an unsettled player may be going through the motions until his season is clear . I think he has played for us several times below 100% fitness but he would a good member of our squad this season .

4 hours ago, Piran said:

Is this based on the two friendlies against Cardiff and Swansea? (The subject of this thread). The only goal conceded was a rash own goal! I have said above how little importance I attach to the results of pre-season friendlies, but I fail to see how the defence is 'still a concern' after these two matches.

No, it's not based on that. It's based on us having the same GK and CBs as last season and employing a team shape that leaves us outnumbered in central midfield and lacking recovery pace in CM.

So, basically, it's based on us having more or less the same defence as the one that was gash last season.

13 minutes ago, benjii said:

No, it's not based on that. It's based on us having the same GK and CBs as last season and employing a team shape that leaves us outnumbered in central midfield and lacking recovery pace in CM.

So, basically, it's based on us having more or less the same defence as the one that was gash last season.

The issue was not the first choice defence and central midfielders. We were 6th on the 4th January so it was clearly working fine.  

The issue was when we had injuries and the backups weren't good enough. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This was 100% the issue. As soon has we lost KWP and Oriol for example it really went wrong

33 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The issue was not the first choice defence and central midfielders. We were 6th on the 4th January so it was clearly working fine.  

The issue was when we had injuries and the backups weren't good enough. 

On 01/08/2021 at 13:01, Red said:

He started our first 7 games scoring 5 goals and getting 2 assists partnering Adams in all of them and was then injured for the next 3 games before coming back on the bench in the next one. I agree his performances tailed off towards the end of the season but we should be careful to assess players on what they actually did rather than what we 'remember' them doing.

I wonder if the fitness issues are slightly overblown as well - he's played 91 league games in his 3 seasons here (including playing every game in 19/20), for comparison Kane for Spurs has played 92 (and has a history of ankle injuries) but you won't hear people calling him a sicknote kind of player or they expect him to be guaranteed to pick up an injury during a season.

2 minutes ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

He started our first 7 games scoring 5 goals and getting 2 assists partnering Adams in all of them and was then injured for the next 3 games before coming back on the bench in the next one. I agree his performances tailed off towards the end of the season but we should be careful to assess players on what they actually did rather than what we 'remember' them doing.

I wonder if the fitness issues are slightly overblown as well - he's played 91 league games in his 3 seasons here (including playing every game in 19/20), for comparison Kane for Spurs has played 92 (and has a history of ankle injuries) but you won't hear people calling him a sicknote kind of player or they expect him to be guaranteed to pick up an injury during a season.

People seem to be forgetting Ings had COVID in amongst the injuries. His lack of sharpness since might be explained by long covid. I know its not popular among the hipsters, but it is a serious problem, fatigue would go a long way to explain his issues in 2nd half of season. 

Good point. I know young fit sports people are meant to shrug it off (see also Valery with glandular fever), but whereas you and I probably just have an extra 20 minute snooze after lunch any impacts are slightly more visible if you playing elite sports.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

People seem to be forgetting Ings had COVID in amongst the injuries. His lack of sharpness since might be explained by long covid. I know its not popular among the hipsters, but it is a serious problem, fatigue would go a long way to explain his issues in 2nd half of season. 

Lewis Hamilton also went wobbly after the  Hungarian GP , dizzy and blurred vision , he’s suggesting Covid still affecting him.

2 hours ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Ok you seem to have a better memory than me, but I do recall that he was dropped for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Ings to stay with us and be fully fit and focussed. I'm just not sure he is at the moment. If he is not 100% committed to Saints then I would reluctantly sell him - always assuming there is a bid for him, which I'm not sure there is yet.

54 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Lewis Hamilton also went wobbly after the  Hungarian GP , dizzy and blurred vision , he’s suggesting Covid still affecting him.

That was just Lewis and the PR team making sure they deflect blame for that crazy start. Being the only one on the grid was his call, and his call alone.  I've been a big fan of him, but in recent times he's just become a machine sending out noises. Nothing genuine, at all. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, DJ_TOAST said:

Kinda surprised how many tickets sold for Weds, looking like could be going towards a sell out

I think the club are messing around with the ticket site, on Sunday afternoon a mate of mine booked in Kingsland North block 38 and about 90% of the block wad still available, someone else went to book Monday morning and the whole block had been shaded out, no way did that whole block suddenly sell. 

Most likely sales are low for Wednesday in Northam (Chapel was already closed) so by restricting availability in the Kingsland they'll be able to spread the crowd around a bit. 

Doubt there will be more than 8k on Wednesday 

44 minutes ago, JRM said:

I think the club are messing around with the ticket site, on Sunday afternoon a mate of mine booked in Kingsland North block 38 and about 90% of the block wad still available, someone else went to book Monday morning and the whole block had been shaded out, no way did that whole block suddenly sell. 

Most likely sales are low for Wednesday in Northam (Chapel was already closed) so by restricting availability in the Kingsland they'll be able to spread the crowd around a bit. 

I'll be there tomorrow. I shall be trying out my new seat :(

46 minutes ago, JRM said:

I've just had a look and only two seats in Block 30 are available in the Kingsland. Block 43 in the Northam has plenty.

19 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I've just had a look and only two seats in Block 30 are available in the Kingsland. Block 43 in the Northam has plenty.

Exactly on Sunday other than  the "centre" blocks the Kingsland had plenty available but the next morning they'd be taken off sale , I think it's because Northam sales are so low it will encourage people to buy there instead .

23 minutes ago, JRM said:

Should have treated yourself to a padded one as a special occasion 👍

I looked at them but 'my' seats had already been sold. I shall probably walk across them in my muddy boots before settling down in what will be my new home, even if it is only for one season.

My grandson wanted to go to these games so I bought them last Thursday when there was plenty of choice. Now it turns out that he can't get his shifts changed :(

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I looked at them but 'my' seats had already been sold. I shall probably walk across them in my muddy boots before settling down in what will be my new home, even if it is only for one season.

My grandson wanted to go to these games so I bought them last Thursday when there was plenty of choice. Now it turns out that he can't get his shifts changed :(

I think Saints read your post and in a panic at what might happen to their precious padded seats are now closing Kingsland stand for tomorrow night , ticket office really are the biggest cretins I've ever dealt with 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-08-03/southampton-fc-get-your-tickets-for-levante-and-athletic-club?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=tic-levante-athletic-friendlies&utm_term=Levante matchday information&utm_content=image

Edited by JRM

logo

Get your tickets for Levante and Athletic Club

BY SFC MEDIA1 hour ago TICKETS
Photo by Isabelle Field

Live football returns to St Mary’s when Saints host La Liga sides Levante and Athletic Club this week as part of their pre-season preparations, with tickets available from just £10.

Ralph Hasenhüttl’s side face Levante tomorrow night, 7pm BST, before welcoming Athletic Club to St Mary’s on Saturday 7th August, 3pm BST.

LEVANTE

Supporters will be able to check out the new and improved St Mary’s concourses when the turnstiles open at 5.30pm, with a selection of hot and cold food, soft drinks and alcohol available to buy from the kiosks.

The Saints Store will be open for fans to pick up the new season’s kits ahead of kick-off, and again following the final whistle until 10pm – please be aware that St Mary’s is now a full cashless stadium so make sure you bring alternative payment methods for any purchases in the Saints Store, Ticket Office or concourses.

Fans are reminded that only the Itchen and Northam stands will be open for this fixture, and that the fan zone will not be open before or after the match. Supporters who purchased seats in the Kingsland stand are being emailed today with regards to alternate seats and accessing the stadium.

20 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

That was just Lewis and the PR team making sure they deflect blame for that crazy start. Being the only one on the grid was his call, and his call alone.  I've been a big fan of him, but in recent times he's just become a machine sending out noises. Nothing genuine, at all. 

Ridiculous allegation. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Anybody know if the match is being streamed on the OS on Wednesday?

I asked this previously, but I don’t think it is. Website says full match highlights can be viewed after I think and to follow Twitter for live updates. 

Maybe there will be a dodgy stream somewhere